Confession

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

Amazing-Grace

I have a confession to make...I cannot lie (apparently I can though) I just told a lie...I'm sick to death of the onslaught of mail order companies bombarding me with phone calls when I'm at home and usually in the middle of something - 3 times this week by the same company. They even offered me a deal on an item I didn't want and to get rid of them I said yes and so now I've had to return it. I find it very difficult to be rude to them and so when they phoned again today and I said I (by name) wasn't in. Am I a bad person??? :rolleyes::confused:

Prov910

Jan 10, 2017
I get those too. I consider it very rude! Especially since it's often a machine, and they only send the call through to a person if you respond to them.

When I get a telemarketing call like that I often set the phone next to the radio. Eventually the call gets routed to a telemarketer and they hang up right away. But at least it ties up their phone line for a minute or so.

S

Susanna

I just say have a nice day, and hang up.

That makes me rude in a nice and caring way.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I just hang up without saying a word...

S

Susanna

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Susanna

Yeah...don't you see? I'm pretending to be nice when I actually want to rip out their smooth talking speaking apparatus' and ship them off to NK;).

G

Galatea

Then I won the hypocrite contest.

Maybe I'll get the Hypocrite award?
No, that would be me. I don’t want to send anyone to North Korea, but I wouldn’t mind punching a few people. Fortunately, my desire to punch them does not last very long.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
If you simply say, "She is not available to speak to you at this time," it would not be a lie :) If they press for details, ask them to remove you from their call list. They should never bother you again.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
In fact, after they have identified them self as an intrusive unwanted caller, instead of answering their question as to whether they can speak to you or if you are home etc, why not just cut to the chase and politely request you be removed from the call list of any solicitors. Example: Hello this is an annoying telemarketer, may I please speak to Amazing Grace? You: Please remove me from your call list, thank you, good bye. *click*

D

Depleted

I have a confession to make...I cannot lie (apparently I can though) I just told a lie...I'm sick to death of the onslaught of mail order companies bombarding me with phone calls when I'm at home and usually in the middle of something - 3 times this week by the same company. They even offered me a deal on an item I didn't want and to get rid of them I said yes and so now I've had to return it. I find it very difficult to be rude to them and so when they phoned again today and I said I (by name) wasn't in. Am I a bad person??? :rolleyes::confused:
I was a telemarketer, so take this as expert advice.

Please, PLEASE, hang up on us/telemarketers. It saves us the time and hassle of obeying the stupid orders from our bosses, (keep them talking, until they hang up, in hopes they'll buy something), so we can then make the phone call to the person who really wanted the item right now! They're the voices we want to hear. Not those poor souls who have no idea we hate being a pest as much as they hate us being pest. The item sells. We just need the right audience to sell it to. And selling X products we're working means we get bonuses or commissions. Talking to someone who definitely does NOT want it is as bad to us as it is to you.

We're doing this job because we need the job that badly, but we're hoping for better money, and the only way to do that is to get off the phone from those who never wanted it anyway. Sadly, bosses tell us we have to keep talking, so hang up! PLEASE!!!

(I got out of the job as quickly as I could. And I was one who only called businesses, but, man! The field has become ruthless since I've been out.)

D

Depleted

I get those too. I consider it very rude! Especially since it's often a machine, and they only send the call through to a person if you respond to them.

When I get a telemarketing call like that I often set the phone next to the radio. Eventually the call gets routed to a telemarketer and they hang up right away. But at least it ties up their phone line for a minute or so.
Those are scammers. I have absolutely no problems playing along for a while and then asking, "How many people could you have scammed by now, if I hadn't just wasted your time?"

Never get an answer. They hang up sometime during the question asked.

D

Depleted

I just say have a nice day, and hang up.

That makes me rude in a nice and caring way.
Honestly? You would have made my day. I would have smiled a good five minutes over that one. lol

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Soft yes bad no.

Have you registered with with TPS (if you have then companies can't call you and if they do then they fall foul so you can report them)
Remind them of that.

If it doesn't work and they ring back when they say "can I speak to xys" say "yes I will just get them for you"
Don't hang up, out the phone down and go and do something else.
Pick up the phone 5 minutes later and they won't be in the other end.
Then they stop calling.

Also be very careful when buying stuff on line.
Unless you opt out of marketing by third parties you are fare game.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
I'm sick to death of the onslaught of mail order companies bombarding me with phone calls when I'm at home and usually in the middle of something - 3 times this week by the same company. :rolleyes::confused:
The scourge of the modern materialistic world, indeed.
Telemarketers from both private businesses and charities, or worse election time robo calls.

Get a landline that displays phone numbers when it rings.
Program in the phone numbers of your family and friends (and local
services; doctor clinic, library, school, garage)
When your phone rings and you do not recognize the number on display
do not answer it.
You should be able to delete the list of called numbers through your phone menu.

Same with your mobile phone - hate those private numbers.
Unless I am expecting a call from a new person I do not answer
unknown numbers.

OR you could always say "while I have you on line I want to talk to you
about Jesus and the gospel of salvation ..."

Last edited:
A

Amazing-Grace

The scourge of the modern materialistic world, indeed.
Telemarketers from both private businesses and charities, or worse election time robo calls.

Get a landline that displays phone numbers when it rings.
Program in the phone numbers of your family and friends (and local
services; doctor clinic, library, school, garage)
When your phone rings and you do not recognize the number on display
do not answer it.
You should be able to delete the list of called numbers through your phone menu.

Same with your mobile phone - hate those private numbers.
Unless I am expecting a call from a new person I do not answer
unknown numbers.

OR you could always say "while I have you on line I want to talk to you
about Jesus and the gospel of salvation ..."
What a great idea...I bet they will soon hang up if we all said that!

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I just don't answer the phone unless a NAME shows up on my phone's caller ID. If there's a name then it's somebody I already know. If there's no name it's always a scammer claiming that my computer is having trouble and he called me to help fix it. And usually the people I know will send a text instead of a call.

I wonder why Socreta hasn't found this thread yet... :rolleyes:

A

Amazing-Grace

I just don't answer the phone unless a NAME shows up on my phone's caller ID. If there's a name then it's somebody I already know. If there's no name it's always a scammer claiming that my computer is having trouble and he called me to help fix it. And usually the people I know will send a text instead of a call.

I wonder why Socreta hasn't found this thread yet... :rolleyes:
Yeah this is my landline I have the problem with, I have no called display.

The problem is, I have bought from this company before and so it's not quite a "scam" just a darned nuisance because if I wanted something from them I'd buy it - I don't need constant offers of "discounts" or "special offers"especially when I just get home from work and am busy preparing a meal. It has the opposite effect actually, it makes me think twice about buying from them again.

I've never before had to lie about being in and I don't want to have to pretend to be someone else again because I'm that bothered by a call.