Conform or be kicked out.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

shfam

I'm in agreement with zackabba. Pray until you feel a peace about the decision you have made.

I for one had a similar situation. I wanted to be an artist and my dad said no. Artists don't make any money. Needless to say I chose my own route, didn't go to school but still love the talent and joy of the gift that God has given to be an artist. No, art doesn't provide lots of income so my father was correct; however, God is our provider. If He provides the birds their food why wouldn't he do it for us. Yes, we need to honor our parents. But God is also a Father as well and we need to honor Him first. A man may plan his way but the Lord directs his steps. Let the Lord direct your steps. If it means you must step out on your own then step out in faith believing God that He will provide every need that you have.

Sometimes the Lord speaks through those around us. This may include your parents. You must follow that inner peace that God will give. It's then you know that the decision is the right one.

Sometimes life brings twists and turns. I for one never knew I loved to teach until someone suggested I teach my daughter. So God knew the desires of my heart before I knew them. He may know that you would love a certain type of medicine to practice. You never know but God knows and that is why it is so important to seek His will above all.

C

Consumed

How do my parents rule over me when I am a man of my age consumed?

xjoe, good point, however you live under your dads roof, his rules

ask yourself, is it better to go to war with your dad or turn the other cheek and thru submission on your part let Jesus be Lord and trust Him with your life??

Aug 2, 2009
WHOA WHOA WHOA! Is everyone forgetting that medical school is NOT EASY. Far from it! If your heart is not in it you will not go far. Even those who's hearts are in it end up dropping out because its too difficult. In my opinion you must do whatever you really want to do with your life and don't let yourself get blackmailed into doing something you don't want to do. People I've known have worked two jobs to get them through college because their parents could not afford to pay for them. Its not easy but you've got to follow your heart. Maybe what you want to do doesn't even require college. Whatever it is, your passion and your faith can make it happen.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2009
Shame on your father for not wanting to support you in what your heart desires. That is very selfish on his part. To him I say this verse:

"Do not withhold good from those who deserve it when it's in your power to help them." (proverbs 3:27 NLT)

B

BellaFlor

thank you everyone.
I am curious on the matter of is this obeying and honoring my father. I personally believe that it has nothing to do with that. If God wants me to be something and my parents tell me no am I suppose to submit? In the end I want to do what God wants for me and I am conflicted on if this is a good idea or not.
This way is sort of a shortcut and will get me a degree faster then other programs but the thing that troubles me is, Does that satisfy God? Does God approve of this shorter method or does he want me to do it the long fulfilled way?
I do in some sense wants to be this but not this way. That is my concern.

I see it more like this; If God would put a desire in you to become an missionary, and then you'd tell your parents that aren't Christian about it. They would certainly not support this, yet you know that God wants you to do this. It is best to obey and listen to your parents, and disobey God?

It is also written in the new testament that we are not to love our father, mother nor children more than God.

"Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10,37-38)

Still, it is a prayer matter this all. And God can use you mighty through those studies, if that is His Will for you. If He has something else in mind for you, He will open more other doors for you. :) I hope you will find out and do the right thing. God Bless You!

J

Joshua175

"For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God." I don't know why there were people on here saying about Honoring your father if your father is not for God.

"And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.
But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first."

"Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.
The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him."

"Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you."

You have a father in heaven who you should listen to above All men, including your own dad. That's my opinion.

P

Psalm2713

so no1 love your father no matter what.. that means overlook what he has done wrong.....even when you clearly see it, alright?
no. 2 why don't you want to go to the school?............... somepeople can think med school is hard but the fact that you got into med school says that you can do it plus just because somepeople fail doesn't mean you will... remember there is some who made it..... that's how I get by...(more than 90% of my childhood friends are not in school anymore)

H

hpesoj

If his father is Muslim he should not have to actually submit to anything of that belief if he chooses to not do so ..Muslim is a fake religion .Allah is not Yahweh. THat is what God says ,not me. I did not say it , Base the decisions on that. Muslim or Islam is not of God in of itself .It should be known. Submitting to the false does not help if it is that sort of nature. If any are Muslim I may sound like a bigot I am sure..Yahweh is Himself like no other ..If I was offered free college ,no costs I probably would take it but Allah is not 'god' or God..Was a Babylonian god once long ago. iF you are afraid to say the truth to a Muslim does not mean I am bad. I might get killed posting this [we all die sometime]..I know i am not perfect but false religion is just that.

H

hpesoj

If his father is Muslim he should not have to actually submit to anything of that belief if he chooses to not do so ..Muslim is a untrue religion .Allah is not Yahweh.. I did not say it , Base the decisions on that .It should be known.. If any are Muslim I may sound like a bigot I am sure..Yahweh is Himself like no other ..If I was offered free college ,no costs I probably would take it but Allah is not 'god' or God..Was a Babylonian god long ago. If people are afraid to tell a Muslim does not mean I am bad. I might get killed posting this [owell] ..I know I am not perfect and but false religion is just that.
'Conform' is the bad word that even some are killed for not doing is my thought of in other countries.

J

judgedebra

If my dad paid for me to go to a medical college I would go what a career, they are going to need lots of doctors, this is the end times.

U

Ugly

i don't believe for one second that the idea of scripture is that a grown adult has to submit to every demand & whim of a parent. that also goes against the idea of following Gods will, not mans. and since his father is muslim he is obviously not seeking the will of God. i say seek God & go where He leads, & it sounds like your heart is not in medicine, so i don't believe thats where God wants you. think, 10-15-20 or more years from now you don't want to be in a job you hate just to make someone else happy? or do you want to be where God leads you & where you are happy? do you want to live your life doing things the easy way & hate the outcome? or work hard, earn your own way & do what you desire? there is nothing unscriptural about an adult not following the manipulations of a parent pushing their child into life long choices that could potentially sway them away from what God wants.

J

Jullianna

I've been sitting here reading this thread, thinking about all of the young people who would love to have your problem. I say that with all sincerity; no sarcasm intended whatsoever. :) Your parents are laying an opportunity of a lifetime before your feet. All you have to do is pick it up.

Maybe you don't want to be a doctor. Maybe you're right and you're not cut out for it. But I would imagine that your father knows you very well and he seems to believe in you. I've read several of your posts and you seem like a very bright, caring young man. There are a LOT of things you can use a medical degree for you know. :)

Worst case scenario - You start, get your core classes under your belt, and your dad realizes that you really aren't cut out for it. Doesn't mean that you didn't try...unless you didn't try. If you then decide to go in another direction, maybe your father will be willing to help at that point. If not, you still have fewer classes to pay for yourself, right?

Never shoot opportunity in the foot. You are a man now and it IS your life and your decision. The road less traveled isn't always easy, but it can be amazing.

P.S. - I'm going to pray for your father as well.