Confusion about Sodom and Gomorrah

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
As he was a city official sitting in the gate of Sodom he always had access to police and guards. He was part of their government
actually, the text reads as though no, he wasn't:

Genesis 19:9
Then they said, "This one came in to stay [here,] and he keeps acting as a judge; now we will deal worse with you than with them."

According to the Sodomites themselves Lot had a reputation for "acting" like he had authority in the city that they did not consider him to really have.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
It wasnt homosexuality or sexual immorality being the prime reason it was more pride - that is what God hates.

Jesus couldnt heal and do miracles in cities that didnt want it or feel like they had no need to be healed. And if they were healed by His grace they didnt thank Him.

Some posters mentioned birth control as being sinful I think they have to recognise the context. Cities can get overpopulated and there is literally no room for babies. There WAS birth control in the olden days, King Herod tried to get rid of Jesus before he was 2 years old, if not to prevent his birth. Midwives killed Hebrew boys by order of the Pharoah.

Unless people move out to the countryside where theres room, there is literally no room to have a 12 child family in the cities and suburbs. Birth control wasnt actually designed so people could just have sex whenever they wanted. It was to stop having children. Prostitution has always been around, and prostitutes always practiced birth control cos they werent that stupid as to have a child with their clients unless they really wanted to (or loved them)

In Jesus lineage there are two prostitutes...Tamar and Rahab

Lots daughters were intentional in having children with their father. Lot was not that smart, he showed cowardice and he also got drunk and was seduced. If he was smarter, he would have escaped long before, or offerred himself not his own daughters and then actually fled in the first instance. But no, he dithered! His wife also looked back, She was too prideful and attached to their lifestyle, Sodom was a rich town.

Recall that Noah after being saved from the flood got drunk too. And his son Ham WATCHED him and his wife have sex. The other two sons backed away refusing to look.

Why were they having relations, well. nobody asked Noahs wife, but it was probably after seeing the entire world be destoryed maybe she actually wanted more children.

Does anyone ask Eve what she wanted? She figured out the way to have children and that was to have sex. God wasnt taking a rib out her and making a man.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
sorry if my post seems offensive (some people dont want to acknowledge that it takes two to make a baby) But that is what happens, though often one participant will be drunk or drugged and unaware.

Sodomy really is the horrible practice of poking each other in places where you wipe your bottom. It can happen in marriage or without it. In many cities, public toilets have been removed because it was never safe to go in one.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
It wasnt homosexuality or sexual immorality being the prime reason it was more pride - that is what God hates.

Jesus couldnt heal and do miracles in cities that didnt want it or feel like they had no need to be healed. And if they were healed by His grace they didnt thank Him.

Some posters mentioned birth control as being sinful I think they have to recognise the context. Cities can get overpopulated and there is literally no room for babies. There WAS birth control in the olden days, King Herod tried to get rid of Jesus before he was 2 years old, if not to prevent his birth. Midwives killed Hebrew boys by order of the Pharoah.

Unless people move out to the countryside where theres room, there is literally no room to have a 12 child family in the cities and suburbs. Birth control wasnt actually designed so people could just have sex whenever they wanted. It was to stop having children. Prostitution has always been around, and prostitutes always practiced birth control cos they werent that stupid as to have a child with their clients unless they really wanted to (or loved them)

In Jesus lineage there are two prostitutes...Tamar and Rahab

Lots daughters were intentional in having children with their father. Lot was not that smart, he showed cowardice and he also got drunk and was seduced. If he was smarter, he would have escaped long before, or offerred himself not his own daughters and then actually fled in the first instance. But no, he dithered! His wife also looked back, She was too prideful and attached to their lifestyle, Sodom was a rich town.

Recall that Noah after being saved from the flood got drunk too. And his son Ham WATCHED him and his wife have sex. The other two sons backed away refusing to look.

Why were they having relations, well. nobody asked Noahs wife, but it was probably after seeing the entire world be destoryed maybe she actually wanted more children.

Does anyone ask Eve what she wanted? She figured out the way to have children and that was to have sex. God wasnt taking a rib out her and making a man.
How you can make this post....
Just funny.

justahumanbeing

Mar 25, 2020
I understand the story of Sodom and agree homosexuality is sin
I cannot find answers to these scriptures and hope a brother or sister can help me
I am uncomfortable asking my pastor or anyone in Church

Genesis 19:4-5 NIV:4 Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom—both young and old—surrounded the house.

My research always has articles saying it doesn't really mean every male yet the scripture makes it clear with 3 steps...all the men plus every part of the city plus young and old .Is it teaching that every male in Sodom became homosexual rapists including the men engaged to the daughters of Lot?
Do most of the men become heterosexuals 'after going back to their wives and children?
Was it a case of mass demon possession?

6 Lot went out to the men at the entrance, shut the door after him, 7 and said, “I beg you, my brothers, do not act so wickedly. 8 Behold, I have two daughters who have not known any man. Let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please. Only do nothing to these men, for they have come under the shelter of my roof.”

Lot knowing the people of Sodom...why then would he offer his daughters to homosexual men? its common knowledge homosexuals have zero interest in females...its like offering meat to a vegetarian.....why is this scripture overlooked? is it possible the majority of the men were heterosexuals' and the rape which is a violent act was to degrade and break the spirit of the "men" .......this was preformed at that time in history as a severe degrading punishment
Was it that God gave them over to homosexual acts like in Romans1?

Ezekiel 16:49-50 NIV :49 “‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.

This scripture I understand why it is ignored as it shows us including myself guilty of some of these sins such as greed, especially overfed{gluttony}
This scripture does include detestable things which would be homosexual acts and outside of marriage heterosexuals' acts.Most give an offering of 10 percent but do they care about "the poor and needy" the children that starve to death every 3 minutes? choosing not to store there treasure in heaven but rather bank investments or property

I understand we should concentrate only on what Jesus taught and draw closer to Him but I keep hearing about this sin of homosexuality as the worst or only real sin and the hate it creates in the hearts of Christians.All scripture is the word of God and contains truth and must make sense and not what we want it to say

Thank you very much for reading and i look forward to hopefully getting some explanation of truth and understanding
The men who visited Lot were not humans but angels. The people of Sodom were wicked. They were not just homosexuals but evil men who didn't bear in mind to be hospitable to travelers who passed their land.

Also they did not respect Lot who lived among them. They threatened Lot as well when he intervened and tried to protect the angels.

It was God's plan. That the men of Sodom should act out wickedly before a final punishment can be dealt to them. Lot did ask his to be sons in law to go with him and his family but they though he was joking and stayed behind and were destroyed.

This is not modern society we're discussing. Such barbaric acts were done in those times.

Why go so far back?

What happened in the age of colonialism when European countries started to colonize all continents? So much rape and murder.

What happened during the World Wars? It is human nature.

God punished Sodom accordingly and saved those who believed in Him. He didn't allow those faithful to him to perish along with the others in the sulfur just as God promised Abraham.

Those people acted wickedly because God wanted them to so that He could humble the people of Sodom. The same way God did to Pharaoh when he refused to let the Israelites leave Egypt. God hardened Pharaoh's heart and then humbled him and the Egyptians and brought out His people who believed in Him.

It was already God's plan to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah. To do this, those wicked people had to make the final act of sin so that God could execute Judgement upon them.

You have to read the entire account of how Lot was brought out of Sodom right from God visiting Abraham and Sarah through the same angels who would then visit Lot's family. Then you would understand better.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
How you can make this post....
Just funny.
If you're referring to her saying that homosexuality wasn't the sin for which Sodom was destroyed, but pride, well she can say that because it's exactly what scripture says:

Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.
(Ezekiel 16:49)​

oh, but you in your own vanity made yourself deaf to me, didn't you?
oops.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
We often misinterpret stories by leaving out important details...

Ezekiel 16:

49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. 50 And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good.
vanity is stated twice - v49, "pride" and v50, "haughty" - so we sure look like we have the classic Hebraic style of dialogue here, giving the same information twice in different forms in order to emphasize a particular aspect of it ((see Genesis 1 & 2 for example par excellence; not two creations but 2 accounts of the same creation, the second emphasizing mankind))

in which case v50 is a reiteration of v49 and the primary sin is pride, and the secondary sin is the abomination to God composed of having plentiness and idleness but refusing to help the poor and needy.

even if you refuse to accept this, the plain fact is that vanity is explicitly mentioned twice and a generic term "abomination" is given the most insignificant place at the very bottom of the list without any specifics.

so in the analysis pride remains the most significant sin of Sodom, as the text is written, not sexual perversion, contrary to the prevailing preaching of the modern church.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
The men who visited Lot were not humans but angels. The people of Sodom were wicked. They were not just homosexuals but evil men who didn't bear in mind to be hospitable to travelers who passed their land.

Also they did not respect Lot who lived among them. They threatened Lot as well when he intervened and tried to protect the angels.

It was God's plan. That the men of Sodom should act out wickedly before a final punishment can be dealt to them. Lot did ask his to be sons in law to go with him and his family but they though he was joking and stayed behind and were destroyed.

This is not modern society we're discussing. Such barbaric acts were done in those times.

Why go so far back?

What happened in the age of colonialism when European countries started to colonize all continents? So much rape and murder.

What happened during the World Wars? It is human nature.

God punished Sodom accordingly and saved those who believed in Him. He didn't allow those faithful to him to perish along with the others in the sulfur just as God promised Abraham.

Those people acted wickedly because God wanted them to so that He could humble the people of Sodom. The same way God did to Pharaoh when he refused to let the Israelites leave Egypt. God hardened Pharaoh's heart and then humbled him and the Egyptians and brought out His people who believed in Him.

It was already God's plan to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah. To do this, those wicked people had to make the final act of sin so that God could execute Judgement upon them.

You have to read the entire account of how Lot was brought out of Sodom right from God visiting Abraham and Sarah through the same angels who would then visit Lot's family. Then you would understand better.
The primary sin of Sodom was "going after STRANGE FLESH", specifically ANGELIC flesh. Evidently in a manner similar to what was going on before the flood (unlawful sinful contact between angelic beings and men).

Such contact has inevitably led to extremely catastrophic judgements of the cosmic kind. Not merely the political dissolution of a sinful kingdom.

Peter CLEARLY links Genesis 6 with the sin and subsequent destruction of Sodom. Unmistakably.

Jde 1:7
Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

2Pe 2:4
For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
2Pe 2:5
And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;
2Pe 2:6
And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

presidente

May 29, 2013
Hi....Yes i agree about bi-sexual people as a strong explanation, yet it is taught homosexual men{no sexual attraction to female} went to rape and that was my point it would be unlikely the story was about true homosexual men and that is why Lot offered his daughters knowing the bi-sexual and heterosexuals' men might be tempted by his young daughters. That would make sense! first time i heard this argument...i was more focused on heterosexuals' using rape as a degrading spirit breaking punishment as was used at that time .Documentary's about prison are gangs taking new prisoners and breaking them sexually making them their property or their "girl",so gay sex takes place for many years but the interest for females doers not disappear. A straight man does not become a homosexual as studies have shown. It is a violent practice to dominate and control and degrade much like the attempted rape in Sodom would have been.Thanks for sharing your valid explanation about bi-sexual men committing such sins
Your too obsessed by this topic of 'sexual orientation', IMO, and you shouldn't try to use it as some kind of exegetical lens to explain the passage.

It just so happens that 'sodomy' became a word used for sex acts performed between males, in the English language n various legal systems. That's not what the town of Sodom means in the Bible. It got that definition in English as a reference to the Biblical story about men that wanted to rape supernatural visitors that appeared to be men.

What research proves that a straight man cannot become a homosexual? If a man prefers women and has sex with a man, he is performing the exact same sin, physically, as a man who prefers men who does the same sex act.

It's like if a man was only attracted to thin blonde women, but he had sex with his neighbor's wife who was a corpulent brunette, he'd be committing adultery just as if he'd committed adultery with a thin blonde woman. The man's interests don't change the sinfulness of the action.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I cannot find answers to these scriptures and hope a brother or sister can help me

Genesis 19:4-5 NIV:4 Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom—both young and old—surrounded the house.

My research always has articles saying it doesn't really mean every male yet the scripture makes it clear with 3 steps...all the men plus every part of the city plus young and old .Is it teaching that every male in Sodom became homosexual rapists including the men engaged to the daughters of Lot?
Do most of the men become heterosexuals 'after going back to their wives and children?

6 Lot went out to the men at the entrance, shut the door after him, 7 and said, “I beg you, my brothers, do not act so wickedly. 8 Behold, I have two daughters who have not known any man. Let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please. Only do nothing to these men, for they have come under the shelter of my roof.”

Lot knowing the people of Sodom...why then would he offer his daughters to homosexual men? its common knowledge homosexuals have zero interest in females...its like offering meat to a vegetarian.....why is this scripture overlooked? is it possible the majority of the men were heterosexuals' and the rape which is a violent act was to degrade and break the spirit of the "men" .......this was preformed at that time in history as a severe degrading punishment

Ezekiel 16:49-50 NIV :49 “‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.

This scripture I understand why it is ignored as it shows us including myself guilty of some of these sins such as greed, especially overfed{gluttony}
This scripture does include detestable things which would be homosexual acts and outside of marriage heterosexuals' acts.Most give an offering of 10 percent but do they care about "the poor and needy" the children that starve to death every 3 minutes? choosing not to store there treasure in heaven but rather bank investments or property

I understand we should concentrate only on what Jesus taught and draw closer to Him but I keep hearing about this sin of homosexuality as the worst or only real sin and the hate it creates in the hearts of Christians.All scripture is the word of God and contains truth and must make sense and not what we want it to say

Thank you very much for reading and i look forward to hopefully getting some explanation of truth and understanding

Do you have legitimate questions that you seek answers to or are you trying to elicit discussion? I must ask because I don't know you and don't normally engage in Bible debates because they are unfruitful. I don't necessarily think you want to debate, but I've noticed that there is a group of either homosexuals or homo sympathizers who are implacable and insist on everyone agreeing with them or they promise to nag you to death. I have no time for that

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022

After reading a few responses, it seems that you joined the forum to get some clarification on the subject. I won't fault you for that. It's just that a couple of members, one newbie in particular, get all defensive for some reason and implacable when the subject comes up.

Don't feel bad for not knowing about something because none of us know it all.
I used to wonder why that Lot would offer his daughters to the Queers too.
Here's the answer.

First is that the Bible describes the Sodomites, ( to use the term loosely for the vast majority of Queers), as swinging both ways. They are attracted to all kinds of "strange/ QUEER flesh." Men burning in their lusts towards men, see Romans 1. The answer lies in Judges 19. There's another chapter devoted to the wicked reprobates of yet another city. It is a similar situation to the one you noted in Genesis. In this case, the damned Queers tried to break in the house to force themselves on the new man. Apparently they were seeking yet another lustful thrill and weren't content with the entire city of others already living there.
One of the victims, the traveller, put his female concubine out to the faggot dogs and they had their way with her all night long until morning when she finally died. Now why did the dogs go for a woman?

. Most of the reprobates will go after anything. It's not like the majority are grossed out towards women. This act in Judges 19 proves that they will fornicate with anyone, even women,..... even strangers. I forgot the average number of men that male homos typically engage in sodomy with. You wonder how on earth anyone could do that! I had one admit to me that he especially liked to meet up with strangers who were traveling through town.
That is what they are like. Perhaps there are the exceptions of those children and teenagers who were molested by those predators. Those kids do not burn towards other men and have not been given over to a reprobate mind as described in Romans 1, yet another major passage on the subject.

Does that answer one of your questions?

May 8, 2023
Not so sure about that.

If you go back to Genesis 6, how do you get a nephilim?

*at least* most of the men of the city in a mob come to Lot's house and surround it. they are desperate to get their hands on the angels, even after they are miraculously struck blind. these are extraordinary measures.

Lot is not an insignificant person - he's the beloved nephew of Abraham, who has the most powerful army in the region. in recent history (at the time) Abraham and his men had overcome an army that had completely vanquished Sodom.

so imagine you are a citizen of Sodom - what compels you to essentially declare war in a single night on the nephew of the leader of the most powerful army in the area? lust? really? what is so important to Sodom about getting their hands on these angels that they risk their city being attacked and destroyed by Abraham?

did they act like this for every stranger that entered the town?
How many people had Lot sheltered in his house before this? why was he sitting watching the gate that day - was that his habit? Was he running a little underground railroad in Sodom?

IMO there is a lot more going on in that city than simple sexual perversion. God doesnt blow up entire cities often - if this was just about homosexuality why hasn't San Francisco been destroyed?
Hi....Really good points I never considered.....but I will now....thank you!

May 8, 2023
Do you have legitimate questions that you seek answers to or are you trying to elicit discussion? I must ask because I don't know you and don't normally engage in Bible debates because they are unfruitful. I don't necessarily think you want to debate, but I've noticed that there is a group of either homosexuals or homo sympathizers who are implacable and insist on everyone agreeing with them or they promise to nag you to death. I have no time for that
Hi....Yes the 2 questions I asked I am looking for what others think and two brothers provided me some good points to consider.I have clearly stated that in my humble opinion homosexuality is a sin but thats easy for me to say as this sin does not effect me.The hypocrisy of teaching Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed because of homosexuality is fueled by hate and lies and ignoring scripture that does list the sins....which would include homosexuality but only 1 sin of many and the 1 sin that doesn't effect most Christians.I am only interested in the truth of scripture not what we want it to say.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Hi....Yes the 2 questions I asked I am looking for what others think and two brothers provided me some good points to consider.I have clearly stated that in my humble opinion homosexuality is a sin but thats easy for me to say as this sin does not effect me.The hypocrisy of teaching Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed because of homosexuality is fueled by hate and lies and ignoring scripture that does list the sins....which would include homosexuality but only 1 sin of many and the 1 sin that doesn't effect most Christians.I am only interested in the truth of scripture not what we want it to say.

Documentary on your subject

May 8, 2023
After reading a few responses, it seems that you joined the forum to get some clarification on the subject. I won't fault you for that. It's just that a couple of members, one newbie in particular, get all defensive for some reason and implacable when the subject comes up.

Don't feel bad for not knowing about something because none of us know it all.
I used to wonder why that Lot would offer his daughters to the Queers too.
Here's the answer.

First is that the Bible describes the Sodomites, ( to use the term loosely for the vast majority of Queers), as swinging both ways. They are attracted to all kinds of "strange/ QUEER flesh." Men burning in their lusts towards men, see Romans 1. The answer lies in Judges 19. There's another chapter devoted to the wicked reprobates of yet another city. It is a similar situation to the one you noted in Genesis. In this case, the damned Queers tried to break in the house to force themselves on the new man. Apparently they were seeking yet another lustful thrill and weren't content with the entire city of others already living there.
One of the victims, the traveller, put his female concubine out to the faggot dogs and they had their way with her all night long until morning when she finally died. Now why did the dogs go for a woman?

. Most of the reprobates will go after anything. It's not like the majority are grossed out towards women. This act in Judges 19 proves that they will fornicate with anyone, even women,..... even strangers. I forgot the average number of men that male homos typically engage in sodomy with. You wonder how on earth anyone could do that! I had one admit to me that he especially liked to meet up with strangers who were traveling through town.
That is what they are like. Perhaps there are the exceptions of those children and teenagers who were molested by those predators. Those kids do not burn towards other men and have not been given over to a reprobate mind as described in Romans 1, yet another major passage on the subject.

Does that answer one of your questions?
I don't mean any disrespect but its difficult to take your post seriously with all the unnecessary language, homosexuality is a sin like all others...there are hetrosexual men that sleep with multiple partners and have sexual perversions
Your post only answers my question of how much hate some have towards homosexuals and trying to keep homosexuals from repentance.
We should pray for the wisdom and strength to obey the teachings of Jesus and heal our hearts from hate towards any person and help bring sinners to repentence and be saved by the blood of our Lord Jesus Christ

May 8, 2023
The only worst sin is to criticise the holy spirit.
True Christians don't hate anybody.
In fact most gays are nice people, but the Sodom/Gomorrah mob was utterly filthy and depraved, which is why God zapped them..:)
Hi...Right to the point...many gays are nice people I agree and if they feel welcome and surround themselves with true Christians and get involved in Church there is a chance for the Lord to change their heart.
That I think is what Christians should do because using filthy language like a couple posts here and condemning to hell never brings someone to repentance but causes them to fall deeper in sin.....
The lies taught for so long about Sodom being destroyed for homosexuality does not help those in need of Jesus
John13:34.. “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
Many Christians would ask yes Lord but what if they have a different culture or skin color or their gay or there poor or or or
Why can't we just obey Jesus