No.
It is the baptism of the spirit by which we are cleansed.
There is no salvation apart from HS baptism
Please PM me if you have questions. I can teach you the difference. Otherwise, let’s not derail this thread.
No.
It is the baptism of the spirit by which we are cleansed.
There is no salvation apart from HS baptism
There’s a clear answer to this but you’re not going to like it.So...
I was always interested in learning more about the Bible and in doing so, I hoped to get closer to God. When I got the chance, I followed a Bible study which thaught me the contectual interpretation. Ever since that study, I have lost my faith in steps. I just can't read the Bible without seeing all its flaws. I just can't talk to anybody about this in fear that I would take their faith away as well. However, I can't live in this insecure and godless way. Are there any of you who experienced the same? How did you overcome this?
If I have questions?Please PM me if you have questions. I can teach you the difference. Otherwise, let’s not derail this thread.
So...
I was always interested in learning more about the Bible and in doing so, I hoped to get closer to God. When I got the chance, I followed a Bible study which thaught me the contectual interpretation. Ever since that study, I have lost my faith in steps. I just can't read the Bible without seeing all its flaws. I just can't talk to anybody about this in fear that I would take their faith away as well. However, I can't live in this insecure and godless way. Are there any of you who experienced the same? How did you overcome this?
it is a method of Biblical study in which one looks a chapter for meaning in depth.I am still confused by what the op means by contextual interpretation.

I have always been a seeker of truth. If there was more to life than a carnal cycle, I had to know what. After much research, I found Christianity to be authentic. Because I could identify a difference between what I read in the Bible and what I saw in churches I knew there were pieces in the puzzle missing. Like you I fasted and prayed for hours. At one point I was in the best shape of my life. I was eating very few carbohydrates (keto). Because my resting heart rate was in the 40s I could get into a deep meditative state. That is when I first heard God. It wasn’t an audible voice or anything. It was like answers were downloaded into my brain to questions that I’ve always pondered. I understood what it meant to be grafted, to be connected to the Creator through the Holy Spirit. All at once I just understood Scripture, like never before. I had been baptized years before by water. This was definitely different.Well, I couldnt have imagined the amount of response. Thanks for that. Im not always online, so it takes me some time to reply. But given the amount of remarks, I will try to explain the things that stuck with me while reading it all.
The contextual interpretation looks at the Bible and what is written. But it also holds track of other things that happen in the time it was written (the context). For example:
When Paul wrote to the Galatians, it's obvious he is very angry about certain things. Did it affect him? Are you affected by rage? Why wouldnt he be? However being angry isnt wrong and im not stating that he said something contradicting here.
Another expample: When Nero was still king, you couldnt simply send letters. There was a good chance your mail would be checked and if it the message wasnt to the kings liking, your mail would be cancelled and the sender would be severely punished. In this context, its easy to see why (I believe its Paul) writes that we should obey the ruling government. However, John gives us a clue that the anti-christ was Nero (his name equals 666). So there is conflict there.
Furthermore is it well known that Matthew is a writer who took his time to make sure that Jesus was linked to the OT. So he makes sure that references from te OT match Jesus' stories. Matthew states the well known: "Sermon on the mount", while Luke 6:17 states that they had just come down the mountain and were actually on a plane. Matthew is free in his usage of the scripture on more than one occasion.
In Acts, they say that the first church was almost perfect and they paint a utopian picture. This picture is then followed by the letters which show the big problems the church face. Another contradiction.
These things make me wonder. If everything is to be seen in its context, time, ruler of the time, state of mind and whatsoever, the book becomes frightingly human. If there are these small 'mistakes' in the Bible, then what is still truth?
Then there is the fact that, for example, there are two stories of creation. These dont match, because in the second story, humans are present while God creates everything, while in the first story they are placed last.
--------------------------------
Ive seen questions about my character. Im not sure how to react to these things, I will say that I am indeed raised a christian and received child-baptism. However, in my search I found that I think its important that the baptism is a choice of my own. A few years ago I have received a baptism with family, friends and others present. I have sought the HS as well and I have been baptised with the HS. I never felt anything become different however. You may have your opinion about this. Maybe the wrong person baptised, maybe I had to much sin, maybe I wasnt open enough. I have pondered all these things as well and all they have done is make me insecure.
In my search for Jesus I have been quiet, i have prayed for hours on end, fasted, read the (entire) Bible multiple times, talked to people who should have known God and have people pray for me, but I never felt any closeness to God. I know this may sound like 'works', but if trying isnt allowed, how am I to find God?
Once however, I prayed for a new job for my wife, because she was getting miserable at her (then) present one. I received belief and when I got home, my wife had gotten a similar feeling. We let everyone know God had given her a new job, while we didnt have it yet. A few days later she got a new joboffer.
This is the only thing that keeps me klinging to faith and why Im now here to find out how to regain trust in the Bible. I hoped others went through a similar crisis, but got out and had some advice.
https://bible.org/seriespage/6-contextual-method-biblical-interpretationFrom what I've read contextual interpretation is firstly a legal method of understanding documents
involving the meanings concerning written contracts where some kind of dispute has arisen. Its a method used in commercial law.
It is often used by people trying to prove their own biblical beliefs. Hebrew Greek and Aramaic are languages whose words and phrases often have several meanings and this plus the linking of isolated
texts and passages out of context and ignoring others can make all sorts of beliefs look legitimate.
Muslims also use use contextual interpretation for the Koran.
Here is an example used by the JWs to prove that Christ will not return physically but will only be seen
by the ''eye of faith'' whatever that is........
Behold he cometh with clouds and every
eye shall see him and they also that which
pierced him and all kindreds of the earth
shall wail because of him. Even so Amen.
Rev 1 vs 7
According to them clouds indicate invisibility
An aeroplane can be hidden in clouds so that people
on the ground can't see it. People in Australia and Africa
wouldn't see him because of Geography
Those that pierced him. The Romans pierced his body
but they are long dead so it must refer to people who
similarly mistreat Christs true followers in the last days
I assume they mean themselves.
The kindred of the earth are the wicked who will know what is
happening because they were warned in advance. By an organisation
that strongly inferred that Armageddon was at hand numerous times !!
All of this and much more can be found in Reasoning from the Scriptures
pages 342 - 343 Published by the Watchtower Society (1989 edition)
Its the book their people use to learn and defend their beliefs.
I have a very similar history: grew up going to a “Bible-believing“ church. They liked the Holy Spirit but they liked Him to stay over there until they needed Him to intervene. When I was baptized with the Holy Spirit He became a living being to me, not just a doctrine to believe.
Blessings my friend.![]()
Hello @AtHisMercy , have you considered looking into some apologetics books? Lee Strobel has some books he wrote such as The Case for Christ, the Case for Faith and others. There are some YouTube videos that give a defense for the Christian faith. Mike Winger is a personal favorite YouTuber of mine. He has some videos that give a defense for the Christian faith.
Well, I couldnt have imagined the amount of response. Thanks for that. Im not always online, so it takes me some time to reply. But given the amount of remarks, I will try to explain the things that stuck with me while reading it all.
The contextual interpretation looks at the Bible and what is written. But it also holds track of other things that happen in the time it was written (the context). For example:
When Paul wrote to the Galatians, it's obvious he is very angry about certain things. Did it affect him? Are you affected by rage? Why wouldnt he be? However being angry isnt wrong and im not stating that he said something contradicting here.
Another expample: When Nero was still king, you couldnt simply send letters. There was a good chance your mail would be checked and if it the message wasnt to the kings liking, your mail would be cancelled and the sender would be severely punished. In this context, its easy to see why (I believe its Paul) writes that we should obey the ruling government. However, John gives us a clue that the anti-christ was Nero (his name equals 666). So there is conflict there.
Furthermore is it well known that Matthew is a writer who took his time to make sure that Jesus was linked to the OT. So he makes sure that references from te OT match Jesus' stories. Matthew states the well known: "Sermon on the mount", while Luke 6:17 states that they had just come down the mountain and were actually on a plane. Matthew is free in his usage of the scripture on more than one occasion.
In Acts, they say that the first church was almost perfect and they paint a utopian picture. This picture is then followed by the letters which show the big problems the church face. Another contradiction.
These things make me wonder. If everything is to be seen in its context, time, ruler of the time, state of mind and whatsoever, the book becomes frightingly human. If there are these small 'mistakes' in the Bible, then what is still truth?
Then there is the fact that, for example, there are two stories of creation. These dont match, because in the second story, humans are present while God creates everything, while in the first story they are placed last.
--------------------------------
Ive seen questions about my character. Im not sure how to react to these things, I will say that I am indeed raised a christian and received child-baptism. However, in my search I found that I think its important that the baptism is a choice of my own. A few years ago I have received a baptism with family, friends and others present. I have sought the HS as well and I have been baptised with the HS. I never felt anything become different however. You may have your opinion about this. Maybe the wrong person baptised, maybe I had to much sin, maybe I wasnt open enough. I have pondered all these things as well and all they have done is make me insecure.
In my search for Jesus I have been quiet, i have prayed for hours on end, fasted, read the (entire) Bible multiple times, talked to people who should have known God and have people pray for me, but I never felt any closeness to God. I know this may sound like 'works', but if trying isnt allowed, how am I to find God?
Once however, I prayed for a new job for my wife, because she was getting miserable at her (then) present one. I received belief and when I got home, my wife had gotten a similar feeling. We let everyone know God had given her a new job, while we didnt have it yet. A few days later she got a new joboffer.
This is the only thing that keeps me klinging to faith and why Im now here to find out how to regain trust in the Bible. I hoped others went through a similar crisis, but got out and had some advice.
Well, I couldnt have imagined the amount of response. Thanks for that. Im not always online, so it takes me some time to reply. But given the amount of remarks, I will try to explain the things that stuck with me while reading it all.
The contextual interpretation looks at the Bible and what is written. But it also holds track of other things that happen in the time it was written (the context). For example:
When Paul wrote to the Galatians, it's obvious he is very angry about certain things. Did it affect him? Are you affected by rage? Why wouldnt he be? However being angry isnt wrong and im not stating that he said something contradicting here.
Another expample: When Nero was still king, you couldnt simply send letters. There was a good chance your mail would be checked and if it the message wasnt to the kings liking, your mail would be cancelled and the sender would be severely punished. In this context, its easy to see why (I believe its Paul) writes that we should obey the ruling government. However, John gives us a clue that the anti-christ was Nero (his name equals 666). So there is conflict there.
Furthermore is it well known that Matthew is a writer who took his time to make sure that Jesus was linked to the OT. So he makes sure that references from te OT match Jesus' stories. Matthew states the well known: "Sermon on the mount", while Luke 6:17 states that they had just come down the mountain and were actually on a plane. Matthew is free in his usage of the scripture on more than one occasion.
In Acts, they say that the first church was almost perfect and they paint a utopian picture. This picture is then followed by the letters which show the big problems the church face. Another contradiction.
These things make me wonder. If everything is to be seen in its context, time, ruler of the time, state of mind and whatsoever, the book becomes frightingly human. If there are these small 'mistakes' in the Bible, then what is still truth?
Then there is the fact that, for example, there are two stories of creation. These dont match, because in the second story, humans are present while God creates everything, while in the first story they are placed last.
--------------------------------
Ive seen questions about my character. Im not sure how to react to these things, I will say that I am indeed raised a christian and received child-baptism. However, in my search I found that I think its important that the baptism is a choice of my own. A few years ago I have received a baptism with family, friends and others present. I have sought the HS as well and I have been baptised with the HS. I never felt anything become different however. You may have your opinion about this. Maybe the wrong person baptised, maybe I had to much sin, maybe I wasnt open enough. I have pondered all these things as well and all they have done is make me insecure.
In my search for Jesus I have been quiet, i have prayed for hours on end, fasted, read the (entire) Bible multiple times, talked to people who should have known God and have people pray for me, but I never felt any closeness to God. I know this may sound like 'works', but if trying isnt allowed, how am I to find God?
Once however, I prayed for a new job for my wife, because she was getting miserable at her (then) present one. I received belief and when I got home, my wife had gotten a similar feeling. We let everyone know God had given her a new job, while we didnt have it yet. A few days later she got a new joboffer.
This is the only thing that keeps me klinging to faith and why Im now here to find out how to regain trust in the Bible. I hoped others went through a similar crisis, but got out and had some advice.
Understanding what is implied by the “Word”, without understanding Logos and the stoic movement that preceded Christ may very well be the greatest hurdle to understanding Christianity. Greater than that is the proper translation of elohim to understand the Old Testament. Our ability to discern our role in the universe is based directly on how diligently we seek He who created it. Context isn’t important, it’s essential. Grasping Biblical concepts will never cause someone to lose their faith as experienced by the OP. It gives fullness to understanding, confirming it.Context IS extremely important. You are correct.
You are the sort I like to get to know . let's edify one another . the bible is whole and one ,no flaws .. Its understanding you are yet to harness . Glory to God , if you like you can reach me on my facebook Akpobome Ajueshi .we can exchange true understanding helping one another grow in faith . being on cc my friend is a step of faith .. HallelujahSo...
I was always interested in learning more about the Bible and in doing so, I hoped to get closer to God. When I got the chance, I followed a Bible study which thaught me the contectual interpretation. Ever since that study, I have lost my faith in steps. I just can't read the Bible without seeing all its flaws. I just can't talk to anybody about this in fear that I would take their faith away as well. However, I can't live in this insecure and godless way. Are there any of you who experienced the same? How did you overcome this?
Why Facebook? Could we not all benefit from understanding here at CC?You are the sort I like to get to know . let's edify one another . the bible is whole and one ,no flaws .. Its understanding you are yet to harness . Glory to God , if you like you can reach me on my facebook Akpobome Ajueshi .we can exchange true understanding helping one another grow in faith . being on cc my friend is a step of faith .. Hallelujah
First, I see you were raised from birth in being Christian.So...
I was always interested in learning more about the Bible and in doing so, I hoped to get closer to God. When I got the chance, I followed a Bible study which thaught me the contectual interpretation. Ever since that study, I have lost my faith in steps. I just can't read the Bible without seeing all its flaws. I just can't talk to anybody about this in fear that I would take their faith away as well. However, I can't live in this insecure and godless way. Are there any of you who experienced the same? How did you overcome this?