There is something in me currently that wants to go into threads and just be contrary, you know? Just stir the pot.
It amazes me how you go into a thread and see Christians correcting Christians with prideful diatribes, sure 100% that what they are saying and what they believe is right and the person they are viciously correcting is wrong. Yet, you'll find that they add to what the person is saying, yet take seven paragraphs to do so, all the while berating the person.
For the love of Pete and his mother Betty, stop already!
Here is what I believe Christians can state with 100% authority and not be wrong:
1. Jesus Christ is God's only begotten Son, is the only way to Heaven, was born of a virgin, lived a sin-free life, gave up His life on the Cross, was dead and buried, rose again, and ascended to Heaven, where He now sits at God's right hand.
2. God is the one true God. There are other gods who are demons and idols, but God alone is the Creator, the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. We are not gods. We are saved by grace.
3. Holy Spirit came to dwell within us and empower us and is the third part of the Holy Trinity.
4. Jesus is coming back. That much is clear.
5. Jesus has gone to prepare a place for us in Heaven so that we can be with Him and God for all eternity, if our names are in the Lamb's Book of Life.
6. There will be a new heaven and a new earth.
7. The Bible is the true, infallible word of God and is living and breathing and is sharper than any two-edged sword. This means that as we read it, different things are revealed to us during different seasons. If we are not careful, we will apply our filters to the truth of God and taint it.
This is what causes arguments. We taint the word of God with our filters engaged and we are so sure that we know the absolute truth regarding tithing and birth control and other things as we read between the lines and add our own opinions. Yet, we don't state them as our opinions, we argue them as facts. Are they? Or are they just something you firmly believe?
This comes in light of a thread where I was frustrated to no end. I clearly stated that something was my opinion and yet the people there couldn't just say, "Thank you for stating your opinion. I disagree, but I do see why you believe as you do." My belief that I was stating wasn't a horrid lie or some thing that was going to send others to hell for my stating it. Nope. Yet, they felt the need to correct my opinion. So, yeah, we are seen as bickering hypocrites by the world and honestly, I believe that we are exactly what we portray ourselves to be.
Pride is our enemy and we have it in spades.
Diatribe done. Thank you for listening.
I now return you to your regularly scheduled life.
For the love of Pete and his mother Betty, stop already!
Here is what I believe Christians can state with 100% authority and not be wrong:
1. Jesus Christ is God's only begotten Son, is the only way to Heaven, was born of a virgin, lived a sin-free life, gave up His life on the Cross, was dead and buried, rose again, and ascended to Heaven, where He now sits at God's right hand.
2. God is the one true God. There are other gods who are demons and idols, but God alone is the Creator, the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. We are not gods. We are saved by grace.
3. Holy Spirit came to dwell within us and empower us and is the third part of the Holy Trinity.
4. Jesus is coming back. That much is clear.
5. Jesus has gone to prepare a place for us in Heaven so that we can be with Him and God for all eternity, if our names are in the Lamb's Book of Life.
6. There will be a new heaven and a new earth.
7. The Bible is the true, infallible word of God and is living and breathing and is sharper than any two-edged sword. This means that as we read it, different things are revealed to us during different seasons. If we are not careful, we will apply our filters to the truth of God and taint it.
This is what causes arguments. We taint the word of God with our filters engaged and we are so sure that we know the absolute truth regarding tithing and birth control and other things as we read between the lines and add our own opinions. Yet, we don't state them as our opinions, we argue them as facts. Are they? Or are they just something you firmly believe?
This comes in light of a thread where I was frustrated to no end. I clearly stated that something was my opinion and yet the people there couldn't just say, "Thank you for stating your opinion. I disagree, but I do see why you believe as you do." My belief that I was stating wasn't a horrid lie or some thing that was going to send others to hell for my stating it. Nope. Yet, they felt the need to correct my opinion. So, yeah, we are seen as bickering hypocrites by the world and honestly, I believe that we are exactly what we portray ourselves to be.
Pride is our enemy and we have it in spades.
Diatribe done. Thank you for listening.