Cool Christian rock Bands

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Julien7

Hey, I am looking for some "cool" Christian rock,

I already like big tent revival.

I am looking for some nice guitar instrumentals (I play guitar) and deep lyrics,

God bless you all,

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
"Cool" is rather subjective.

There's all the standard bands:
Third Day
Red
The Letter Black
GFM
Seventh Slumber

Then the lesser known like Eowyn.

And the underrated like

May 23, 2020
Hey, I am looking for some "cool" Christian rock,

I already like big tent revival.

I am looking for some nice guitar instrumentals (I play guitar) and deep lyrics,

God bless you all,

Isn't Christian rock an oxymoron?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Isn't Christian rock an oxymoron?
Since it's been around since the 60s I'm going to say no.
Music genres are not inherently spiritual, good or evil. Music is a vehicle that carries the message of the one playing it. It is not the message.

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
Depends what you mean by cool? What is your preferred Rock genre?
Cool bands in my own opinion, ranging from different genres include:
GFM
Ashes Remain
For Today
Eowyn
Skillet
Third Day

J

Julien7

Depends what you mean by cool? What is your preferred Rock genre?
Cool bands in my own opinion, ranging from different genres include:
GFM
Ashes Remain
For Today
Eowyn
Skillet
Third Day
Hey, Socreta and Subhumanoid thank you for your posts!

For rock genres I have mostly played vintage pop rock (e.g Pink floyd/Beatles) and vintage rock n roll (Elvis/Chuck Berry).

I am very much into country, folk, blues and play these quite often. Sometimes I play classical pieces or regular pop songs.

All of the christian songs I've played so far have been country or folk songs. But I think "cool rock" to me is just anything that sounds "chill" (i.e laid back) or anything that is more energetic and really pulls you in. And of course awesome guitar instrumentals are a huge plus.

I am really enjoying Ashes Remain and Third Day.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Hey, Socreta and Subhumanoid thank you for your posts!

For rock genres I have mostly played vintage pop rock (e.g Pink floyd/Beatles) and vintage rock n roll (Elvis/Chuck Berry).

I am very much into country, folk, blues and play these quite often. Sometimes I play classical pieces or regular pop songs.

All of the christian songs I've played so far have been country or folk songs. But I think "cool rock" to me is just anything that sounds "chill" (i.e laid back) or anything that is more energetic and really pulls you in. And of course awesome guitar instrumentals are a huge plus.

I am really enjoying Ashes Remain and Third Day.
60/70s rock is not my thing. Nor is country or folk. I like blues, but don't often listen to it.

Check out Glen Kaiser. He was the vocalist/guitarist of Christian rock band Resurrection Band (Rez Band). You may like them, as well. But his solo material was more blues/folk/acoustic. He was also a pastor, ran a homeless ministry, a father, husband, record label owner and ran the largest Christian rock/metal annual festival, Cornerstone.
The bands first demo was put out in the mid 70s and they lasted for 20+ years. Here's an amazing bluesy song the band did.

Another cool, but different recommendation is Eric Clayton and the Nine, released just a few weeks ago.
Eric Clayton was singer or 90s Christian goth rock band Saviour Machine, and had to quit for medical reasons. Lyrics tend to be more on the deep and personal side. The music is atmospheric and often mellow, but can get intense at times.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Another cool acoustic is 6' 10.
Created by the vocalist/guitarist of Christian Celtic Punk band Flatfoot 56.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I am looking for some nice guitar instrumentals (I play guitar)
dive into Starflyer 59

he's Christian, but not writing worship music or CCM. just songs about his life, about love, loss, and lately, about growing older.
15 albums of guitar-driven alternative-rock with a beautiful sense of melody & fantastic tone. a lot of shoegaze + surftone influence and amazing pop sensibility, but you'll never hear him on the radio.

his discography has a lot of breadth to it; it's not possible to pick one or two or even a dozen songs as representative because there's a lot of variety in style and substance over the years and from album to album & within each album - so i'm just putting the first one that comes to mind. if you like it at all, go listen to several albums. it's not one of those bands whose songs all basically sound the same, not at all.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
Becoming the archetype
Terminate Damnation is one of my favorite Christian metal albums

J

Julien7

something's wrong if it's the old news;
just play the C chord like it's something

Awesome! really interesting band, definitly will investigate this. Has a nice laid back feel to it.