Corinthians 13: 4-8

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
The part about not easily angered is the one I want opinions on.

Since I still have not read the entire Bible, the only time I recall Jesus getting mad was 2 times. The time he flipped the table and when he healed the man on the “sabbath”

My bible knowledge i mediocre currently but, what do others think is a proper time and place for US in 2019 to actually show anger?

Blik

Dec 6, 2016

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018

Since I still have not read the entire Bible, the only time I recall Jesus getting mad was 2 times. The time he flipped the table and when he healed the man on the “sabbath”

My bible knowledge i mediocre currently but, what do others think is a proper time and place for US in 2019 to actually show anger?
Do you mean US as is 'us' or as in 'USA'?

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018

Here's some of what the Bible has to say about the anger of man, both directly and indirectly.

James 1
19 Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger;
20 for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.
Matthew 7
12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
Ephesians 4
29 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear.
30 Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
31 Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.
32 Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.
Colossians 3
5 Consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry.
6 For it is because of these things that the wrath of God will come upon the sons of disobedience,
7 and in them you also once walked, when you were living in them.
8 But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth.
9 Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices,
10 and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him.
1 Peter 3
15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.

~Deut

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
One I'll add:

Be angry, and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger (Ephesians 4:26).

A common interpretation of this verse is that anger by itself is not a sin, but it can easily lead to sin. Further, deal with your anger quickly, before it gets a deep hold on you.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Do you mean US as is 'us' or as in 'USA'?
Ok, I see by the other answers what you meant. When we 'put on love' , that is God's idea of love, we don't let carnal urges affect our composure. like Jesus said on the cross 'forgive them for they know not what they do'. Wow, what a thing to strive to and how we all fall so short of it.

Mar 23, 2016

In Mark 3, when Jesus healed the man and looked round about in anger, the word "anger" is the Greek word orgé. In Eph 5:26, where we are instructed be ye angry, and sin not, the word "angry" is the Greek word orgizō.

1 Corinthians 13:5 tells us love is not easily provoked. The word "provoked" is the Greek word paroxunó which is a completely different word than the Greek word orgé or orgizō.

paroxunó means to incite someone and stimulate their feelings (emotions); "become emotionally provoked", as personally "getting to someone"; (figuratively) "to provoke feelings, spurring someone to action"

In Acts 17:16 when Paul saw the idolatry of the people in the city of Athens and his spirit was stirred within him, the word "stirred" is the same Greek word (paroxunó) used in 1 Cor 13:5.

What I believe 1 Cor 13:5 tells us about agapē (love) is that it is not easily incited ... this agapē (love) allows us to remain in control of our emotions, even when someone or something is jabbing at us in an effort to cause us to become upset so that we behave emotionally ... either in anger, or fear, or frustration, or sorrow.

agapē (love) protects us from allowing our emotions to control us to the point we behave in a manner that is unChristlike (imo). We can be angry and not sin as we are instructed in Eph 5:26 as we walk in love.

Mar 28, 2016

Interestingly. By looking at the different translations .There seems to be a difference in how the word anger is used.

In one it reads: In your anger do not sin, as in God recognizes we naturally are angry vengeful people who live in a body of death. . And emphasizes put it to sleep (don't let the sun go down) or it will keep you awake, or act as a wake up call.

Ephesians 4:16 NIV “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold.

And the King James it would almost seems like it justifies our anger, sort of like in if God gets angry... then so should we we are created in his image. .

Ephesians 4:26 KJ Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

The fruit of our new Spirit that lives in us is not the fruit of out of control .That the fruit of the father of lies a murder from the beginning.

The fruit of Christ's new Spirit that works in us is first patience, the enemy of anger. The first and foremost hardest work of love. Then it can follow its sequence of maturity. Patient love, is kind. A patient and kind love does not envy... etc

My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. James 1:19-20

His Love humbles our anger and could help those who look for fault in others to understand God could be using them or yourself to exercise the gift of self control.Control of the spirit of faith that does work in us to both will and do his good pleasure .It produce the righteousness Christ desires.

Dec 12, 2013
One I'll add:

Be angry, and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger (Ephesians 4:26).

A common interpretation of this verse is that anger by itself is not a sin, but it can easily lead to sin. Further, deal with your anger quickly, before it gets a deep hold on you.

Amazing how many flat leave off that scripture....

BE YE ANGRY and SIN NOT......

ANGER is NOT sin....and there are THINGS that we can be biblically angered about.................GEESH......MAN was mad in God's IMAGE and GOD gets MAD at times.....

People go to seed on something and then while being OUT of BALANCE on the subject lead astray..........