Corporal punishment in schools. Is it time to bring back the strap?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TheNarrowPath

Jul 17, 2022
So suspending the students just gives them a holiday from learning. Who is disciplining our young people if the state threatens uplift if the parents smack their children for misbehaving?
End of year and still students are being suspended for fighting and other undesirable behaviour.
Most schools model a framework of positive behaviour but it doesnt work on some students. A mostly female school staff isnt helping either. Boys dont respect their authority. Its pretty disheartening to see how angry these young boys can get. I think schools are too soft on bad behaviour and most principals dont set the best standard for their schools. Some people think its abuse but you can ask the children nicely in a positive tone to correct the behaviour maybe several times or you can get the strap out and this speeds up the correction.

K

kaylagrl

So suspending the students just gives them a holiday from learning. Who is disciplining our young people if the state threatens uplift if the parents smack their children for misbehaving?
End of year and still students are being suspended for fighting and other undesirable behaviour.
Most schools model a framework of positive behaviour but it doesnt work on some students. A mostly female school staff isnt helping either. Boys dont respect their authority. Its pretty disheartening to see how angry these young boys can get. I think schools are too soft on bad behaviour and most principals dont set the best standard for their schools. Some people think its abuse but you can ask the children nicely in a positive tone to correct the behaviour maybe several times or you can get the strap out and this speeds up the correction.
Never going to happen. They are going in the opposite direction, many schools don't discipline at all. They are now saying its racist.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
While I'm not against having the board of education applied to the seat of knowledge of for those who are unruly, I don't see this happening because those who are in charge don't see the value in doing so.
Further, this type of discipline will not be supported in the home. If discipline were being enforced there it wouldn't be necessary widely elsewhere. It is little understood how negatively the decision to stop posting the 10 Commandments in schools has affected behavior there. For people who do not have God's word written upon their hearts, a constant reminder of decency in behavior is desirable to restrain sin.
There was a time in this nation when a high standard of morality was shared by all, regardless of one's eternal estate. Teachers reinforced the values of the home. This is no longer the case. And until we fix the homes, we will not fix our children.
May God be gracious and merciful again.

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
I don't see this happening because those who are in charge don't see the value in doing so.
Actually "those in charge" are only morbidly AFRAID of being charged with child abuse, with the accompanying associated expen$e$, and complications thereof.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
I don’t understand this topic at all because it doesn’t happen in my town.

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
Schools can handle misbehavior through more in house counseling sessions, more communication with parents, remedying the issue (expelling the culprit) so other students are not bullied, taking away privileges like extracurricular activities and dances, etc. Detention should include some counseling.

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
Why are not the parents giving strong discipline?? I remember those days when teacher's would use a paddle!! LOL But those great teachers are mostly gone. Now they would be sued. And the way many schools have gone woke, I would home school my kids if I had any! Reading writing and math, not trans gender junk!

There is to me NO middle ground, one is born a boy or a girl! Accept stupidity in school?? Not my kids! Covid did do one good thing, parents found out what their kids are learning in school, and it sure is not good! What concerns me more than anything is the total lack of common sense among so many people!!

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
In many American schools it's gotten way past a paddle. I have to agree with teachers that correction begins at home and schools can't correct a lack of training at home, but they should be supportive of the parents wishes and values. On the other hand, education/ training is the Father's responsibility, so young men should marry someone who is willing and able to homeschool IMHO. Mother's can help him better than anyone.

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
At Greenwood Baptist church in Pasadena, TX back in '63, there was a Size 15 shoe leather hanging on a thong. The sign above it said: "If need be, You use it on mine, and I'll use on yours".

Imagine THAT in 2022.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Back in my day, we used to eat dirt.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
It probably varies from state to state but I'm pretty sure they have to have written consent from the parents first

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
dont put your gifts from God in public schools

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
dont put your gifts from God in public schools
I kind of feel like homeschooling would suck because you wouldn't be getting the social interaction my parents sent me to a Christian School for one year and I hated it so bad I begged them to go back to public school and they let me.
All the teachers were rude and hateful

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
I kind of feel like homeschooling would suck because you wouldn't be getting the social interaction my parents sent me to a Christian School for one year and I hated it so bad I begged them to go back to public school and they let me.
All the teachers were rude and hateful
What year? about 35 years while working at the local small town school ( K-12) the sex ed was partly about the advantages of oral sex.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
Did you walk 5 miles to school barefoot in the snow uphill both ways also?
nope only 1 1/4 miles 4 season of snow and i had shoes. one season to a one room school 3 to a 2 room school , well it was 4 school rooms but they only use 2 for classes. that was back in the mid 50s

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Did you walk 5 miles to school barefoot in the snow uphill both ways also?
‘Yeah, and my dad was like “Stop being a little girl. Back in my day we used to walk on nails !”.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
People still eat dirt.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...d-mysterious-practice-of-eating-dirt-revealed

My BIL used to carry it on his candy route in south Florida. Several stores around the Glades stocked it.
There's such a thing as "dietary clay." . It's usually a special tested form sold in the best independent supplement stores. Sodium bentonite clay is the common form. It adsorbs toxins very well.
Diatomaceous earth is another compound that is dug up and left in a largely unprocessed form. It's added to animal feeds and as a human supplement in the purified/ tested form. But I digress. The other poster probably wasn't talking about that. 🙄🍽️🥴