Corporate greed

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I dont know why it seems people are so down on the working class in america, who work hard for little reward, seems they just get treated so badly.

in nz we have relatively strong labour representatiom and unions, but has been eroded in recent times with changes of govt. wages should at least keep up with inflation, so people can afford the cost of living.

the evil seems to be when a CEO earns millions and their workers earn twenty times less. When its the workers who keep everything afloat and the CEO seems to does nothing but go to meetings, doesn't share the profits or squirrels them away somewhere nobody knows where.
People whine and moan about the degradation of morality. Overlooking the degradation of the family unit. The children are the comming society. If we reduce paying attention to them for the sake of keeping up. What kind of role models will they be for their children & grandchildren? There are supposed to be two parents in a family. A baby sitter or a day care is not a satisfactory replacement.

Economics shouldn't be more important than parenting. Something more important than money has been derailed... The well being of the family unit has taken a back seat. The creditors and corporate greed are now behind the wheel.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think grandparents play a huge role cos even two parents by themselves cant look after children even less these days. its not even 'keeping up' its staying afloat so that theres a roof over ones head that many people have to work 2 jobs. One income alone is not enough to pay most rents for a family home, or mortgage you need at least two or more.

years ago one income COULD cover it and housing was much cheaper and though most jobs you would just be getting by. But thing back then to even have a mortgage your job needs to be secure for at least 5-15 years or even 25 years. Thats no way that a seasonal fruit picking job would be considered an income the banks could rely on.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I think grandparents play a huge role cos even two parents by themselves cant look after children even less these days. its not even 'keeping up' its staying afloat so that theres a roof over ones head that many people have to work 2 jobs. One income alone is not enough to pay most rents for a family home, or mortgage you need at least two or more.

years ago one income COULD cover it and housing was much cheaper and though most jobs you would just be getting by. But thing back then to even have a mortgage your job needs to be secure for at least 5-15 years or even 25 years. Thats no way that a seasonal fruit picking job would be considered an income the banks could rely on.
That's when factory jobs were very secure and a person could start at entry level, not only buy, but pay off a home before they retired. They could live rent and mortgage free afterward until the Lord called them home.

Conspicuous consumption, reckless banking practices, imported manufactured goods and Reaganomics highjacked the American dream. Now reverse mortgages are creeping in on our legacy to our rightful heirs on a mass production scale.

Jul 9, 2020
I dont know why it seems people are so down on the working class in america, who work hard for little reward, seems they just get treated so badly.

in nz we have relatively strong labour representatiom and unions, but has been eroded in recent times with changes of govt. wages should at least keep up with inflation, so people can afford the cost of living.

the evil seems to be when a CEO earns millions and their workers earn twenty times less. When its the workers who keep everything afloat and the CEO seems to does nothing but go to meetings, doesnt share the profits or squirrels them away somewhere nobody knows where.
Lanolin,
There is some validity to what you're saying. But you gotta take off the income disparity blinders. It's not so simple as that. You're failing to see the forest because you're constantly circling around the same tree. This makes you an unwitting tool of those that would prey on the innocent. Stop and look around a bit. There are other issues at play. That's just the easiest of easy ones for them to keep you focused on. Open your eyes.

But since you insist on running around that same old issue, let me address it real quick.
1. Yes they are greedy.
2. Yes, I don't think they're worth the $$ they get.
But....When you focus in on them, you're really losing sight of the bigger picture. Let me flesh this out a little bit for you.

Did you notice in the scribe's post above he said this:
"If there are jobs tasks that can be automated so that no employees are needed and it would increase profits then the CEO should do that. If the CEO would rather make less profit to keep people employed and not automate they should be fired by the board and a BUSINESSman should be given the position that will automate tasks that can be automated."

This is kind of business 101 type thinking. Very Libertarian. I used to think just like the scribe on this issue. But I've since learned that "profit" is is not the only thing that a business must strive for. If the profit motive isn't tempered by morality, then there will eventually be a collapse. I don't just mean a business collapse. I mean a societal collapse. Because these C-types are just a manifestation of the society they come from. Most everyone has an issue with greed, because they're fallen creatures - just like those CEO's. Furthermore, Lanolin, you have an issue with greed....and jealousy. Stop worrying about greedy CEO's and start repenting of your own sin because you're just as bad.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
@surfer14 and @Lanolin I don't know Jack Sprat or Jack Daniels about NZ economics and have taken a course in micro/macro economics in any University but I've investigated and have been paying attention. I've watched documentaries and did some reading on the subject of the US Federal Reserve Banking system. It's relationship with the US Treasury and the banking 'Cartels' (for lack of a better term) that borrow money from them.

The US Federal reserve bank is a corporately owned monopoly which is above and beyond the Sherman Antitrust Act of 1907. They receive no tangible assets like silver or gold. Only promissory notes from the Treasury in exchange for the same from the banks which are allowed to loan 10 X what they borrow (on paper) from the treasury. In turn they count credits payable to them as cash and the economy gets artificially inflated.

It's called "FIAT MONEY'
What Is Fiat Money?
Fiat money is government-issued currency that is not backed by a physical commodity, such as gold or silver, but rather by the government that issued it. The value of fiat money is derived from the relationship between supply and demand and the stability of the issuing government, rather than the worth of a commodity backing it as is the case for commodity money. Most modern paper currencies are fiat currencies, including the U.S. dollar, the euro, and other major global currencies. (CO Investopedia)

It's fake!

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I personally strongly believe "The Mark of the Beast' , will come from the banking cartels and will be used to replace common currencies.

Thus the Beast will be the worlds #1 Banking CEO.

T

TheIndianGirl

Capitalists believe that the market has self correcting mechanisms. I also believe that CEOs make too much, but maybe they are making the "correct" salaries based on market forces. Governments have tried to fix "income inequality" through progressive taxation, certain tax policies such as inheritance tax, increase in minimum wage, etc., however many people have issues with these types of policies including people who are not rich.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Is the love of money just another form of idolatry?
“For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.” – 1 Timothy 6:10
“Their idols are merely things of silver and gold,
shaped by human hands.
They have mouths but cannot speak,
and eyes but cannot see.
They have ears but cannot hear,
and noses but cannot smell.
They have hands but cannot feel,
and feet but cannot walk,
and throats but cannot make a sound.
And those who make idols are just like them,
as are all who trust in them.” – Psalm 115:4-8

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Capitalists believe that the market has self correcting mechanisms. I also believe that CEOs make too much, but maybe they are making the "correct" salaries based on market forces. Governments have tried to fix "income inequality" through progressive taxation, certain tax policies such as inheritance tax, increase in minimum wage, etc., however many people have issues with these types of policies including people who are not rich.
thought seems like someone is controlling those market forces or fixing them...like bob said maybe its the feds behind the scenes saying we going to loan out x amount today of fake money into the world. (and whos to say they are not choosy about WHO they loan the money to?) watch everything turn to custard and bubbles burst and markets crash.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
from what I do know about business owners is they pay themselves first...and because they are the boss they can pay themselves whataver salary they think they are worth, and they will pay their employees also whatever they think they are worth. Then with the profits, they alone decide what to do with them.

most small business owners, and even soke bigger ones, will pay their workers the bare minimum wages.
even when costs of living go up, they wont raise wages. in nz pverty action workers protested that everyone ought to have a LIVING wage, not a minimum wage. i.e it covers the cost of living. To those on the minimum, one income is not enough to live on. You need to work crazy hours to cover everything, food, rent and essentials.

salaries. whilst dependent on amounts made, though, do tend to go up the longer someones worked at the business. But the thing is many owners believe they are worth far more, even ten or 20 times as much as their employees, citing longer hours and dedication to the job, even if they are skimming off profits to further their own nests.
profita, is the thing though...what people actually DO with the profits. many businesses break even and that keeps them running and ticking over, but the ones that make big profits, what do they actually do with them? Thats a question people need to ask. are they sponsoring charities and giveing to those less well off? Are they giving bonuses to their workers? or are they just using the profits for selfish gain, to expand and develop so much it puts others out of business? DO they buy up smaller business and poach their workers? I saw that happen on smaller scale in the landscaping/gardening trade.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
@Lanolin There's a difference between big businesses, corporations' and proprietorships. Proprietors are not allowed to give them themselves pay checks by law but they may take cash directly from the tills, fact.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
@Lanolin There's a difference between big businesses, corporations' and proprietorships. Proprietors are not allowed to give them themselves pay checks by law but they may take cash directly from the tills, fact.
Id like to know what the differnces are, I know with corporations, the point of them is having many bosses not just one although there seems to be boards voted in every couple of years. but then many of them have CEOS as well the one who makes executive decisions, that decide the fate of everyone else.

a lot of small businesses are partnerships. if you self employeed its just you answering for everything but then you not likely to have that many employees, and at most part timers.

id like to know how big a business is to be counted as BIG. in a small country like nz, we just dont have the population compared to the same equivalent as say australia. So they can cream us in terms of sheer numbers and most of the malls and the chain stores are owned by them. to australia, nz is just another territory and market they can move into and buy up.

Aug 11, 2020
I take people as they are. They are kind CEOs of large corporations, and there are greedy small business owners. Not saying there aren't greedy CEOs and kind small business owners. But you don't have to have resources to be greedy.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I take people as they are. They are kind CEOs of large corporations, and there are greedy small business owners. Not saying there aren't greedy CEOs and kind small business owners. But you don't have to have resources to be greedy.
true, although theres this thing like.,,why do you even need to be the boss of more than one business? if everyone was quiet and did the work of their own hands they wouldnt need have someone managing everyone elses affairs.
I dont think its easy to run a corporation and not lose sight of all the people.
I remember working in an organisation that had one boss/middle manager in charge of three branches, so their time got split between them and consequently all three branches suffered from lack of attention. if there was ONE boss for each branch it would have worked much better.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
true, although theres this thing like.,,why do you even need to be the boss of more than one business? if everyone was quiet and did the work of their own hands they wouldnt need have someone managing everyone elses affairs.
I dont think its easy to run a corporation and not lose sight of all the people.
I remember working in an organisation that had one boss/middle manager in charge of three branches, so their time got split between them and consequently all three branches suffered from lack of attention. if there was ONE boss for each branch it would have worked much better.
I had a worse one. She had a large, lucrative business with many departments with no assistant managers. She micromanaged everything (or tried to). Several of us took control and let here think that we didn't. It was kind of like the
beach Boys. Brian's father was very similar. So they built him a fake mixing board with lights and sound and et him think that he was in control. Brian, Carl and Dennis were brothers. Brian was really in charge but they let their father think that he was. :LOL::ROFL:

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
sounds like a lot of marriage relationships to me...isnt having more than one wife or husband being greedy...?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Just up the road from me a huge new retail store was built that sold furniture, its only been there a few months and already facing liquidation/receivership.

It supposedly was trying to be the next IKEA. Apparently the owner overreached and got too big too fast, and cant do much business especially now with covid restrictions.

I often wonder about big box corporations why they risk everything when they cant follow through. It is like the bubble bursts, or like the man in the Bible who says 'I know, I will build a bigger barn for all my worldly goods' instead of maybe just .....giving them away?!

Imagine all the overheads that owner had to pay....

K

KT88

Does anyone work in a small business? Or own their own business.
Or ever worked in a corporation?

Well anyway Im just wondering what your take on it is. Are the bosses or CEOs of the big corporates genuinely good and honest people just making a buck are do you think they are evil and taking more than their fair share?

many business usually starts-up small but there are some business have thousands if not millions invested just to get off the ground. Where does the capital come from?
What about smaller businesses being bought out by larger ones? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Should some be state owned or is it better for everything to be private and in the hands of a very few elites?
Done all three. There's a thing called venture capital:

Venture capital is a form of private equity and a type of financing that investors provide to startup companies and small businesses that are believed to have long-term growth potential. Venture capital generally comes from well-off investors, investment banks and any other financial institutions

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/...s a form,and any other financial institutions.

But then it could be one big conspiracy.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
do you think its being greedy this venture capital thing?
are there any checks and balances to it or is it kinda free for all, get in and milk for all its worrh thing. 'market forces' ...is everyone at its mercy?
are there robber barons today?

I mean how obvious is the ONE WORLD trade centre. I mean for some people trading, buying and selling is all they are doing, but is it the be all and end all. Does trade really make the world a better place? Is it fair?