Could it be that the bible is in fact just written by men for men?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
Lilywolf,

Sometimes debates get heated, and I feel like I need to take a step back.

I want you to understand that I wasn't trying to attack you or disparage you.
If I did, then I apologize.
I WAS intending to attack a few of your propositions, but I was NOT trying to attack you personally.
If I did, or if it seemed like I did, then I apologize.

Sometimes when people get into a debate, they begin to "miss" each other... as if they're both shooting at different targets.
That may be what we began to do.

So let me briefly explain why I went at the things I did.

1. When we see scriptures that seem odd to our modern sensibilities, and which don't quite agree with modern feminist culture, we probably shouldn't assume those scriptures are in error.

I understand that feminism has, at least in the past, accomplished some important things.
But please consider that our modern feminist culture is becoming so toxic toward men that young men are actually being psychologically attacked and destroyed.... systematically. So we needn't assume that all the trappings and ethics of modern feminism are necessarily all good.

Because all of us are fallen and corrupted, because the world is fallen and corrupted, because our cultures are corrupted... we need to be very careful about critiquing scripture based solely on our modern ethics or modern sensibilities. We just need to be extremely careful of this.

We may very well, all of us, have views that are simply distorted, or skewed.
The only solution is to subject our sensibilities to scripture, instead of the other way around.
This would seem, logically, to be a problem we all have, inherently.
No one gets a pass here; we're all fallen people in a fallen world.

2. The scripture, for whatever reason, is replete with references to the entire Godhead in masculine terms.

This is just what we find in scripture... it's just there.

God is always referred to in the masculine:
- Jesus was born as a man, and is always called the Son, or some other masculine term, even in reference to his preincarnation.
- Jesus called God his Father, and always referred to the Father as "he."
- Jesus always referred to the Holy Spirit as "he."

Jesus referred to all persons of the Godhead in the masculine, and throughout scripture God is always referred to in the masculine.

3. God is spirit, just as you quoted from scripture... but surely, being God, he should be able to present, or emphasize his divine nature, however he chooses.

God is spirit.
But God is also sovereign, and all powerful.
So if, for some reason, he wanted to be referred to in the masculine... would he not have the right to do so?

Certainly my masculine attributes are corrupted at best,
but God is perfect, and anything that comes from him is perfect.
If God wants to emphasize something in the masculine, for some reason, we needn't associate that with the fallen kind of masculinity you see in his creatures.

Perhaps God emphasizes his masculinity so men will be constantly convicted, by being forced to compare their fallen masculinity to God's great holiness.
Perhaps God emphasizes his masculinity because men need this extra role modeling far more than women do.
Perhaps God emphasizes his masculinity because men need this role modeling so that women can have better men!
There could be so many reasons.
There could be so many reasons, and none of these reasons disparage women in any way.

There is no reason to think that if the scripture emphasizes the masculine traits of God's character, that this in any way lessens, or disparages women. God may sincerely put extra emphasis into relating to men just in order to convict us, because perhaps we NEED more convicting.

There is probably a vast multitude of reasons this occurs, a multitude of answers.
But if we don't look for those answers... we'll never find them.

God Bless
Max

Thank you for your contrite opening. I appreciate that. No, you didn't anger me. These type threads can become heated for sure.
I think the issue in the matter of the thread question itself may spark ire in some. And maybe that's the answer in itself.

For my part and faith walk, I go by what the scripture says in matters of God's identity as a spirit, a holy spirit. The one and only and there is no other besides God.

Male pronouns or gender identifiers that then are applied in other scriptures that use male pronouns are in my view the input of a male oriented, male controlled series of councils over the decades that culminated in arriving at what was determined worthy of being called a , under those council's authority, a closed canon.
Which is to say, by Human judgment, the last that the holy spirit creator of all will ever speak to humanity.
That is another thread. And one that is just as incendiary as this one's topic.

You said that the idea God is not gender oriented is ad hoc,circular, and presumptuous. Though your list wasn't in that order.
I would concur to the contrary. That the ad hoc, circular, presumptuousness arrives when mortals that first accept the scriptural assurance there is such a thing as God, then think to accept that those scriptures are correct when identifying that higher omniscient omnipotent power as having a gender like those prone to needing saving because of the sin nature they inherited being created as humans in the gender forms accorded by that holy spirits creation of them.

We're told when a person dies their flesh returns to the dust from whence it sprang. The Adam, Adamu, of the earth, returns to the origin of itself, the dust God made alive with his breath that then gave that form a living soul.
And that living soul then returns to that God that created it.
Are we to concede then that that flesh, the Adam, the Adamu, was of the dust of the ground the omni-genesis holy spirit creator made first, then God created the gender of that Adamu by will and in his image and likeness. Does that mean God has a gender then? Being he created a male human first? If so, then there can be no conflict for those faithful who recognize holy spirit creator did then create female from the mid-point, the protective bony shroud that is the rib cage that protects all vital organs for life and living. And thus, is just as qualified then , those scriptures, to use the feminine pronoun to describe creator.
But that didn't happen. Because as much as some, not implicating yourself, would like to ignore the facts of man's part as creator of the closed canon Bible, it remains a fact none the less that political atmosphere, and cultural norms of the times and during the time of its compilation did in fact play a part in the translation and communication of its authority.
And that at those times encircled the patriarchal vernacular. And that is why the inspired words of a holy spirit that told us we, who are male and female, must worship therefore in spirit, was identified in words as male.

Ad hoc, circular, presumptuous? Yes. Attaching a gender to a spirit that created them male and female in the beginning, is that occurrence when thinking that creator was male, by gender identification, before the commencement of creation. When, in that holy spirits infinite wisdom it created its image an likeness so that only one gender would be able to be creator on earth. And that sir was the creatress female of our species.

If we wish to insist made in the image and likeness of, in Genesis, sustains exclusively the male pronoun identifier of holy spirit God, we err in ignoring that spirits realization, wisdom, that the female was necessary to come into being so that the male would not live alone. al-one.
And that is why any Christian is able to identify in this relationship with holy spirit the feminine if they see fit. I.E. Creatress, holy spirit creatress, Goddess.

See, if gender pronoun is not a man made invention of the creator that made them both male and female, then a feminine identifier cannot be offensive to the one from whence the two did come into being.

God
doesn't
have
genitals

Holy Spirit is. Gender pronoun is a construct that is that of the image and likeness of the gender ego that imagines a Father in Heaven. When on Earth no Father alive ever gave birth, creation, into life any one that exists.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
God doesn't have genitals

This has absolutely nothing to do with a single thing I said.

I am going to politely exit this debate, for the following reasons:

1. You seem insistent to continue repeating the same non-answers, attempting to have some imaginary argument with some imaginary point I never made, rather than addressing the real points I actually made.... this is illustrated above.

2. You don't seem to aspire to a very high view of scriptural inspiration or inerrancy, as you seem to believe the entire bible, from start to finish, is brimming over, on virtually every page, with an almost unimaginable number of fabricated words.

This means we're having the entirely wrong debate, as you appear to believe in some other, and quite strange Bible, which is quite different than the Bible most of us believe.

3. You also appear to be relatively uninformed regarding the topics of scriptural preservation, manuscript evidence, Judaic history, Christian history, or the great councils of the early church... although you display a significant willingness to argue these same topics of which you seem so ill prepared to argue.

There is really nothing else to say.

Take care, and have a great Thanksgiving.
Max

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
This has absolutely nothing to do with a single thing I said.

I am going to politely exit this debate, for the following reasons:

1. You seem insistent to continue repeating the same non-answers, attempting to have some imaginary argument with some imaginary point I never made, rather than addressing the real points I actually made.... this is illustrated above.

2. You don't seem to aspire to a very high view of scriptural inspiration or inerrancy, as you seem to believe the entire bible, from start to finish, is brimming over, on virtually every page, with an almost unimaginable number of fabricated words.

This means we're having the entirely wrong debate, as you appear to believe in some other, and quite strange Bible, which is quite different than the Bible most of us believe.

3. You also appear to be relatively uninformed regarding the topics of scriptural preservation, manuscript evidence, Judaic history, Christian history, or the great councils of the early church... although you display a significant willingness to argue these same topics of which you seem so ill prepared to argue.

There is really nothing else to say.

Take care, and have a great Thanksgiving.
Max

Thanks. :)
This kind of discussion inevitably shows two or more invested in the discussion are sure they're absolutely right.

That's fine.

When one, you, is absolutely caught up on the effects of man on the religion you follow, someone not that will receive one of three reactions. First, they're receive deference and an act of contrition. Sorry if I upset you....Then the apologetic one will reiterate what they formerly apologized for. Making the former act of contrition of non-effect.
Then , and as in your case all three evidences befell me in your last post (above), the one to whom the speaker formerly apologized will be accused of just not having the intellect to continue on in the vein the apologist prefers.

Thanks again.

Disclaimer: The above, per intellect, has absolutely no relation to the point-blank-trolls that darken the door of Christian forums on the Net.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
Test the spirits. Don't just believe because someone insists their version is truth. That includes me and my postings, just to be clear and avoid accusation of misunderstanding. :)

Romans 1 And especially verses 22 &23

The Romans 1 verses below are not from the LINKED to the Mounce version that is present in the ROMANS 1 header. The scripture below is from the Expanded Bible Version.
I love
Mounce because they share the NT original Greek translation words below the standard English text.

18 For [God does not overlook sin and] the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who in their wickedness suppress and stifle the truth, 19 because that which is known about God is evident within them [in their inner consciousness], for God made it evident to them. 20 For ever since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through His workmanship [all His creation, the wonderful things that He has made], so that they [who fail to believe and trust in Him] are without excuse and without defense.21 For even though [d]they knew God [as the Creator], they did not honor Him as God or give thanks [for His wondrous creation]. On the contrary, they became worthless in their thinking [godless, with pointless reasonings, and silly speculations], and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory and majesty and excellence of the immortal God for an image [worthless idols] in the shape of mortal man and birds and four-footed animals and reptiles.

Numbers 23:19
God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?

Romans 8:11
If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.

Jan7777777

Oct 19, 2018
Of course if both men and women do their part, then it all works and if they do not, we get problems. Fine so far... BUT some women are leaders. It is not universal that women think from their emotions. Some women do, some do not. In the same way some men think from their emotions.
Men were chosen to be apostles because Christ had to work within the culture of his time. Women would not have been accepted, regardless of their abilities.
God used women when all the men failed the test. God has NO problem with women. Men do.
Christ had higher matters to deal with than social reform. I am sure he didn’t like slavery either.
It is mankind’s job to use his conscience to improve society. Abolishing slavery and creating conditions where talented women can achieve their full potential is part of that.
There is no job that a woman cannot do. All she needs is a fair chance.
....I thought I answered this post but guess not...lol....
…… yes anyone can do job's women have proved they can do as good as men in some situations, but, I really don't think that is their place to compete against men or try to be as good or better . I am old enough to remember women not working much and then saw it unfold, and it really brings alot chaos , plus children are neglected and sent to daycare's and workers do not have a desire to mold the children up in the way they should go. I really feel God wanted women to be helpmate's to the man of the house. my opinion of things I have seen in past years.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
…… yes anyone can do job's women have proved they can do as good as men in some situations, but, I really don't think that is their place to compete against men or try to be as good or better . I am old enough to remember women not working much and then saw it unfold, and it really brings alot chaos , plus children are neglected and sent to daycare's and workers do not have a desire to mold the children up in the way they should go. I really feel God wanted women to be helpmate's to the man of the house. my opinion of things I have seen in past years.
Women can do as good as men in all situations that do not depend on physical strength. I want to know why you think that a woman with talent and intelligence is competing against men. She is competing with herself to achieve her ambitions. Ambition is nothing more than achieving your dream. A man doesn’t limit himself because he will be competing with other men, why should women? Society needs women. There is a shortage of talent. Male dominated societies lack balance. Look at the middle east. The presence of women changes the nature of society for the better and it gives men the freedom to take on traditionally female roles. Some men are fantastic with children, but don’t admit it for fear of not being considered a ‘real’ man. A woman in the workplace is a helpmeet for society and for men who want to look after their kids.
It is essential that women change companies. The corporations are greedy and exploitative because men at the top are egotistical, violent and competetive. Look at how corporations rape the planet, destroy the environment and exploit their workers. The corporations need women!
When couples meet it is essential that they are honest about themselves and their plans. An ambitious woman needs a man who will be supportive and do his share in the house. Most men are lazy devils who want a servant not a wife. It is time that women stick together and stop running themselves down.

G

Gracie_14

Woman are both scary, and sexy at the same time so it's not good for woman to be a pastor. Woman are powerful there is many witches that are powerful, and woman are very scary compare to men, and woman are more dangerous than men.
I know this has been commented on...but I couldn't help it....

Women are scary....? And dangerous?? I didn't know that! Hmm....:unsure:

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Respectfully, the word was never "helpmate". The KJV used "helpmeet" as in "partner corresponding to", not "subordinate assistant".

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The corporations are greedy and exploitative because men at the top are egotistical, violent and competetive. Look at how corporations rape the planet, destroy the environment and exploit their workers. The corporations need women!
Greed, exploitation and lack of environmental concern have nothing to do with gender. They are manifestations of sin, which is a human condition, not exclusively a male condition.

Iozion

Sep 11, 2018
I know this has been commented on...but I couldn't help it....

Women are scary....? And dangerous?? I didn't know that! Hmm....:unsure:
Yep woman is very scary like for an example a woman see somebody breaking the rule they usually very strict, and men are more laid back, and it take a lot to upset men while woman get upset pretty easily. So when it come with Bible term not every woman really understand the Bible, and are very strict in what they believe while men are more understanding, and woman are not too understanding.

It's dangerous when you come across somebody that disagree, and want to fight you just because they do not agree it goes for both men, and woman, but woman will act out worse because they don't listen that well, and disagree, and are more stiff necked in comparison to men.

What I show is not just the woman, but woman are more prone in disagreeing, and more prone in being offended, or insulted, and they get there feelings hurt more because they do not understand, and it can get dangerous when it come to that, and that why it's not wise to discuss with woman when they really do not know the entire bible very well, but I am not just pointing just to the woman only it's men too, but woman are more potent, and more dangerous lots of times, but men can be just as dangerous, but I rather deal with men than woman in most case.

Matthew 23:13
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.

His first condemnation, in 23:13, related to the fact that they did all they could to shut out others. False religion and pretense are always the worst enemies of the truth and are far more dangerous than immorality or indifference. As the religious leaders of the Jews, they were held guilty before God of blocking the way for others seeking to enter into the kingdom of God.

He described the scribes and Pharisees as poisonous snakes, destined for terrible judgment which would be theirs in hell, specifically Gehenna, the place of eternal punishment.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Yep woman is very scary like for an example a woman see somebody breaking the rule they usually very strict, and men are more laid back, and it take a lot to upset men while woman get upset pretty easily. So when it come with Bible term not every woman really understand the Bible, and are very strict in what they believe while men are more understanding, and woman are not too understanding.

It's dangerous when you come across somebody that disagree, and want to fight you just because they do not agree it goes for both men, and woman, but woman will act out worse because they don't listen that well, and disagree, and are more stiff necked in comparison to men.

What I show is not just the woman, but woman are more prone in disagreeing, and more prone in being offended, or insulted, and they get there feelings hurt more because they do not understand, and it can get dangerous when it come to that, and that why it's not wise to discuss with woman when they really do not know the entire bible very well, but I am not just pointing just to the woman only it's men too, but woman are more potent, and more dangerous lots of times, but men can be just as dangerous, but I rather deal with men than woman in most case.
Perhaps a few negative experiences have clouded your judgment, but your ideas are unbiblical, sexist, and devoid of truth. If you claim to be a Christian, you have no business continuing to believe such things, let alone posting them.

G

Gracie_14

Matthew 23:13
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.

His first condemnation, in 23:13, related to the fact that they did all they could to shut out others. False religion and pretense are always the worst enemies of the truth and are far more dangerous than immorality or indifference. As the religious leaders of the Jews, they were held guilty before God of blocking the way for others seeking to enter into the kingdom of God.

He described the scribes and Pharisees as poisonous snakes, destined for terrible judgment which would be theirs in hell, specifically Gehenna, the place of eternal punishment.
Hmmmm...okay...so me...as a woman....I'm dangerous? I'm more prone to disagree?

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Wow! A post that is 4 years old, from a guy that posted twice, ever!

Most of you know I am in favour of women in ministry and women as equals. But, the nonsense on this thread, FROM BOTH SIDES, is beyond belief! I can't believe the extremism from some people, and none of it based on the Bible!

G

Gracie_14

Wow! A post that is 4 years old, from a guy that posted twice, ever!

Most of you know I am in favour of women in ministry and women as equals. But, the nonsense on this thread, FROM BOTH SIDES, is beyond belief! I can't believe the extremism from some people, and none of it based on the Bible!
Preach it girl! I know!!!

Dec 28, 2016
God
doesn't
have
genitals
Jesus
Christ
Does
And
He's
God
In
a
Glorified
Body.

I bet that torques you off and everything, no? And the men in the eternal state here on earth? Genitals. In glorified bodies.

Eternal patriarchy on an eternal earth. Gotta love that!

Oh, I erased the rest of your run on sentence and drivel laden post.

Kaps89

Nov 19, 2018
Kent, England
I've not studied the Bible enough to give an informative answer. However, from what I've read and studied thus far the main thing I've got from it is how women should be treated by men, how beautiful they are and how strong they are. And from my own understanding the fact women can conceive and sustain children absolutely fascinates me. Such a gift.

T

P

Pisteuo

I ask simply bc the biblical god uplifts men and makes women submissive and I feel it belittles them to men.
While I DON'T claim that the bible was written "by men for men" you could see where someone could make that assumption.
The books were written during human history where men were in fact thought to be greater than women, so hey, it's a possibility.

I'm not here to talk trash, which I feel like I will be accused of in the future(due to my sincere questions) I just want your point of view or opinion.

i asked someone what they thought and they said that males and females "share different roles", while that could be a passable response. It still ignores the fact that from Jehovah's point of view, women are in fact less than man. (My opinion based on reading the bible)

In the garden of Eden , did you ever wonder why satan went after Eve and not Adam ?

It was because satan knew if he got Eve he would get Adam also , Adam being the weaker of the two . Gods punishment was for Eve ( the female line ) to serve a weaker being .

Fast forward to the NT , God's word specifically states that the last are first , the dead are living , the servants are chiefs , and so on . These states of being are things that are paradoxically happening at the same time , simultaneously !

So in my personal opinion , motherhood , as seen by the world as something less than , is accually the strongest , most powerful state of being God can give a person . And at the same time , " in Christ " is the closest a human being can be to God .

But , we also need to remember , in Christ , there is no Jew not Greek , no male or female , no slave nor Freeman , we are all the same in Christ Jesus .

Iozion

Sep 11, 2018
Check out what John Chrysotom said, and I find it funny he's the Pope lol.

The woman taught once, and ruined all. – John Chrysostom