Could someone please explain the concept of 'free will' to me?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
@VickyK and @Magenta

God works all things after the counsel of HIS WILL - Eph 1:11

Its not of him that willeth or him that runneth but GOD that shows mercy - Rom 9:16

The son quickens whom HE WILLs - John 5:21

We have the impression of freewill.

We are only FREE, when Jesus is fully illuminated in us.
Romans‬ ‭2:14-15‬ ‭
For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them.​

oyster67

May 24, 2014
You are of course free to call it free will. I will call it self will.

One's will is either aligned with God's, or not.
I see what the disconnect is between us is.(?) Just a slight difference in our definitions. For me, Free Will = We have a choice to make. Even sinners have freedom to choose Jesus, although they are in bondage otherwise. Is that helpful?

Aug 14, 2019
True freedom isn't doing what one wants but being able to do what ought to be done. Jesus demonstrated this.

Luke 22

Then he withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, knelt down, and prayed, 42 “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me; yet, not my will but yours be done.”

Aug 3, 2019
Hi, there, "free will" is a gift of God to all His thinking, rational creatures which enables them to choose to voluntarily love and obey Him or to not.

Everyone knows the affections of a store-bought, pre-programmed robot puppy dog are meaningless compared to those of a real live doggy that has free will run away or bite you but chooses to jump on you and smother you with his love.

...even our Calvinists friends :cool:

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I see what the disconnect is between us is.(?) Just a slight difference in our definitions. For me, Free Will = We have a choice to make. Even sinners have freedom to choose Jesus, although they are in bondage otherwise. Is that helpful?
I believe I already addressed this... :
Doing it your way is exactly what self will is. Now, calling free will a misnomer does not mean people do not have a choice ;) It is just that there are many things we do not get to have a choice about at all, because our will is constrained by many factors, and also the fact that the most important choice we make in this life is in choosing God's will over our own.
:)

Aug 3, 2019
The will is constrained by many factors, so calling it free is really a misnomer.

On the other hand, the results of humanity placing self will above the
will of God are clearly laid out in Scriptures, from beginning to end.

It is not so very difficult at all to see the depravity of man's will when in opposition to God.

Secularists would call it human nature, which equates to what the Bible identifies it as the natural man.
I can see where you'd be hesitant to call it "free" when there are constraints - like the risk of prison deterring most criminals from committing armed robbery of a bank. Consequences may govern how we exercise our free will, but the exercise of it remains completely free and unrestricted.

If we make up our minds to do something regardless of the consequences, there is nothing on Earth that can stop us...which is why we so desperately need Christ and the fruits of the Spirit He provides, the least of which not being self control.

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
I can see where you'd be hesitant to call it "free" when there are constraints - like the risk of prison deterring most criminals from committing armed robbery of a bank. Consequences may govern how we exercise our free will, but the exercise of it remains completely free and unrestricted.

If we make up our minds to do something regardless of the consequences, there is nothing on Earth that can stop us...which is why we so desperately need Christ and the fruits of the Spirit He provides, the least of which not being self control.
Romans‬ ‭13:1, 3-5‬ ‭
Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.

For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same; for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil. Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of wrath, but also for conscience’ sake.
‭‭​

Aug 3, 2019
Romans‬ ‭13:1, 3-5‬ ‭
Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.

For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same; for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil. Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of wrath, but also for conscience’ sake.
‭‭​
A horse used to be integral to a man's livelihood: transport to his job/fishing/hunting grounds or for medical emergency, homestead maintenance, etc. Horse thieving was punishable by death.

Today, a man's truck is just as integral, but the one who steals it and gets caught will likely receive minimum punishment, thanks to leftist judges in districts where the crime rate is through the roof.

Nobody fears the sword of the Minister of Justice anymore.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Never start with the philosophical position on the will of man ,nor the sovereignty of God and then bring that to the text first . Start with the scriptures.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Both Calvinism and Arminism start with the philosophical view on the will of man or lack thereof. Instead of starting with what the bible says .

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
A horse used to be integral to a man's livelihood: transport to his job/fishing/hunting grounds or for medical emergency, homestead maintenance, etc. Horse thieving was punishable by death.

Today, a man's truck is just as integral, but the one who steals it and gets caught will likely receive minimum punishment, thanks to leftist judges in districts where the crime rate is through the roof.

Nobody fears the sword of the Minister of Justice anymore.
True...but wasn’t it Jesus who told us that lawlessness will increase in the last days?

Blik

Dec 6, 2016

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
Jan 15, 2021
Humans and angels have free will in that they have complete freedom of choice in whatever they choose, at the end of the day it all boils down to this; each free will creature has the choice between following God and good, or sin and Satan. Eccl 7v29, Isaiah 53v6, Matt 23v37

Satan made the free will choice of sin and rebellion, while living in God's very Presence! Isaiah 14v12-14, Ezek 28v12-16.

So, we see that man's will is free, though not necessarily his actions. Gal 5v17.
So when I eat 'tasty' food, I decide to like it, and I eat 'bad tasting' food, I decide I don't like it?

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Is this your interpretation of Matthew 4:24?
To say it is "my interpretation" of Matt. 4:24 would be extremely limiting what this verse is telling us. I am saying that this is what the Lord does for us, if we look to the Lord for the best way for us to live, this would be following one of His examples.

CS1

May 23, 2012
And what is the scriptural basis for it?
"free will is demonstrated in the word of God with man. When God said to man " Do not" Adam was given free will to obey. Just Because God knows what we will choose doesn't mean we can make the choice.

Aug 14, 2019
It's like life requires water. No water no life.
Love requires freedom. No freedom no love.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
Free will is also a will that doesn't cost anything.

Aug 3, 2019
True...but wasn’t it Jesus who told us that lawlessness will increase in the last days?
And has it ever. "And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved." - Matthew 24:12-13 KJV

Curious that word "love" is the word "agape". We know "agape" is that Godly, unconditional, sacrificial love that God only imparts to the saints who ask for it...sinners certainly don't pray for it and thus receive it not.

Saints have to guard themselves from iniquity, lest their agape love grows cold and dead, they fail to endure to the end, and in the end fail to be saved.

Dec 30, 2020
My understanding is that free-will is a term used to explain that God gave all men a choice to accept Jesus or reject Him. For most Christians this is a 'no-duh', but there is a bunch of people called 'Calvinist' who teach (falsely) that Jesus only died for a special few. They, of course believe that they are one of those special ones who can do pretty much what they want and still go to Heaven (because they are one of the special ones.) There are many of them right here CC. This thread is going to be a long one for sure.

They also call themselves the "Predestined Elect" as well as "Calvinist". The rest of us believe that Jesus died so that all could have a chance to go to Heaven. We believe in free will to choose Jesus for everyone.
Galatians 5: 18 But if ye be led by the Spirit ye are not under the law.

IF you are led by the Spirit, you will not want to sin and if you do sin, you will hate your sin, repent, and pray to God for strength and resolve to overcome the temptations. You have the free will to read and contemplate the above postings and what scripture says or to form your own biased opinion and belittle those opposed.