Could someone please explain the concept of 'free will' to me?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Galatians 5: 18 But if ye be led by the Spirit ye are not under the law.

IF you are led by the Spirit, you will not want to sin and if you do sin, you will hate your sin, repent, and pray to God for strength and resolve to overcome the temptations. You have the free will to read and contemplate the above postings and what scripture says or to form your own biased opinion and belittle those opposed.

can you explain what "led by the Spirit" means?

Dec 30, 2020
can you explain what "led by the Spirit" means?
Galatians 5: 13-14 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even ( that is) in this: Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

When a person receives the gift of the Holy Spirit, he is filled with agape love which is the same kind of love shared by the Father and Jesus. God has made it easy for believers. When your deeds are done with love in your heart, you are being led by the Spirit and fulfilling His commandments.

Dec 30, 2020
When your deeds are done with this Agape love in your heart, you are being led by the Spirit and fulfilling God's commandments.

Aug 3, 2019
Galatians 5: 13-14 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even ( that is) in this: Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

When a person receives the gift of the Holy Spirit, he is filled with agape love which is the same kind of love shared by the Father and Jesus. God has made it easy for believers. When your deeds are done with love in your heart, you are being led by the Spirit and fulfilling His commandments.
Some interpret that verse as "we can sin now but it's best not to". Raises two questions:
1) I get to enter heaven doing the same things that are keeping the wicked out?
2) Why not enjoy pleasures of sin now and the glory of heaven later?

Truth is the verse means nothing of the kind. Paul was saying, "Just because you don't have to bring a lamb to sacrifice every time you indulge the flesh doesn't mean it's OK to indulge the flesh."

No saint will EVER be at liberty to worship Satan, murder indiscriminately, run around with everything in a skirt, etc., etc.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Men are born into bondage.
Says you, NOT the Scriptures!

"All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned, every one, to his own way..." Isaiah 53v6

Free will in operation!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Says you, NOT the Scriptures!

"All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned, every one, to his own way..." Isaiah 53v6

Free will in operation!
Self will in operation. We are born enemies of God. Good luck choosing Him without His help...

Last edited:

jb

Feb 27, 2010
...We are born enemies of God.
Again, this is what you say, NOT the Scriptures!

"But Jesus said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven." Matt 19v14.

Dec 30, 2020
Free will is the ability to choose what we want. This rests on the heart which is the foundation of human desires, self-interest, and inclinations and which provides the reason or motivation for making choices. Man's problem is his heart. That is why when God grants repentance and forgiveness of sins through Jesus Christ, He perfects us through the Holy Spirit by filling our hearts with Agape love.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Again, this is what you say, NOT the Scriptures!
For if, when we were enemies of God, we were reconciled to Him through the death of His Son,
how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through His life!
Romans 5:10

Once you were alienated from God and were hostile in your minds because of your evil deeds.
Col 1:21

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Matthew 22:44 "'The LORD said to my LORD: "Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet."'

The natural born man is hostile to God. That is Scripture, despite the fact you have denied it.

Nothing to say, @jb ? How about 11th?

Jan 15, 2021
Hi, there, "free will" is a gift of God to all His thinking, rational creatures which enables them to choose to voluntarily love and obey Him or to not.

Everyone knows the affections of a store-bought, pre-programmed robot puppy dog are meaningless compared to those of a real live doggy that has free will run away or bite you but chooses to jump on you and smother you with his love.

...even our Calvinists friends :cool:
Is love voluntary?

E

EleventhHour

Matthew 22:44 "'The LORD said to my LORD: "Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet."'

The natural born man is hostile to God. That is Scripture, despite the fact you have denied it.

Nothing to say, @jb ? How about 11th?
I do have something to say.

The "natural born man" being hostile to God is not the analogy that Paul is drawing in Corinthians.
And I will have more to say shortly.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

The "natural born man" being hostile to God is not the analogy that Paul is drawing in Corinthians.
More to say speaking against the natural born man being hostile to God?

More to say denying Scripture identifies the natural man as God's enemy?

God gives us a new heart for a reason which jb has denied, and you gold ribboned.

Aug 3, 2019
Is love voluntary?
Yes, love's voluntary, but it isn't a feeling or abstract thought or even an action: it's a principle.

Principles are inflexible - they remain rigid, no matter the circumstances, like fire being hot or ice being cold. When a person chooses to voluntarily love another (romantically speaking), as a principle it must be given unconditionally.

Sadly, most treat love as merely an emotion or an action to be indulged, and nothing more. So important to ask God to lead, guide, and direct.

Aug 3, 2019

Hey, EH, how are ya? That verse sounds a bit like Romans 8:7 KJV:

"For the carnal mind is enmity with God."

E

EleventhHour

Hey, EH, how are ya? That verse sounds a bit like Romans 8:7 KJV:

"For the carnal mind is enmity with God."
I was referring to this verse

1 Cor. 2:14
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
And has it ever. "And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved." - Matthew 24:12-13 KJV

Curious that word "love" is the word "agape". We know "agape" is that Godly, unconditional, sacrificial love that God only imparts to the saints who ask for it...sinners certainly don't pray for it and thus receive it not.

Saints have to guard themselves from iniquity, lest their agape love grows cold and dead, they fail to endure to the end, and in the end fail to be saved.
I don‘t believe that God is an unconditional lover. He doesn‘t unconditionally love anyone. He died while we still were sinners...but He doesn’t leave us the way He finds us...so He can’t be an unconditional lover.

I don’t think enduring to the end has a lot to do with agape love. I think its going to take loyalty to God...faith in God and abiding in God to make it to the end. And honestly...I don’t see a whole lot making it to the end when the antichrist is allowed to overcome the saints and most will be beheaded anyway.

E

eternally-gratefull

Free will is found in the garden

Genesis 2:17
but of the tree of the knowledge ofgood and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

they were free to chose to follow God or follow self

it is also seen in Jesus words

Matthew 23:37
Jesus Laments over Jerusalem
“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How oftenI wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!

as we can see, Jerusalem had the “free”dom to us their “will” to do what Jesus wanted, but they were unwilling

free will choices are all through scripture

Jan 15, 2021
Yes, love's voluntary, but it isn't a feeling or abstract thought or even an action: it's a principle.

Principles are inflexible - they remain rigid, no matter the circumstances, like fire being hot or ice being cold. When a person chooses to voluntarily love another (romantically speaking), as a principle it must be given unconditionally.

Sadly, most treat love as merely an emotion or an action to be indulged, and nothing more. So important to ask God to lead, guide, and direct.
Is it possible to stop loving someone, even though loving them causes pain? Heartbreak for example