Count the Omer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Do you think so, Ken?

I disagree. If one looks deeply enough into the movement, which focuses primarily on the talmud and the mishnah and the midrash, one can see where this is all heading.
I don't think the focus is to be the Lord Jesus AS God.

Not to say the Old Testament is not as valuable as the New.
But I'll stick with the written Word. ♥
Does the Hebrew roots movement adhere to the talmud?

P

psychomom

It's all Kaballah...mystical...and pantheistic to it's core. (I recently learned :) )

Here's a quote from one of their sites...:(

The Zohar relates the manifestation of the Name of God to the world of Beriah (the heavens):
Soncino Zohar, Shemoth, Section 2, Page 50b - This is the significance of the Psalm (recited on Sabbath morning): "The heavens tell the glory of God; and the firmament proclaims his handiwork." ‘What is meant by "Heaven"? That heaven in which the Supernal Name is made visible (shama-yim- heaven; shem-Name).

Yeshua had given a hint at who is in the throne at the end of the previous chapter:
Revelation 3:21 -To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
Yeshua indicates that He and the Father are both on this throne. This relates to the concept of the Son and Father, "being One," in the words of Yeshua, as found in John 10:29-30; 14:7-11; 15:23-24; 17:11,21-23. Without a knowledge of the Sephirot, (and a "sod-level" understanding of Yeshua's own words), the text presents great difficulties.
As discussed in our earlier notes on Ezekiel's vision, the "one sitting on the Throne" is actually in the Fourth Heaven, specifically in the location of the Tipheret of Azilut (which is also the Keter of Beriah, the third heaven, which John has access to). This is also known as the Sephirah of Metatron, the head of all creation, who is referred to in some texts as, the Lesser YHVH.

Revelation 4:1-2

P

psychomom

Here's who they believe is sitting on the Throne in the Revelation of Jesus Christ:

Metatron
(Hebrew מטטרון) or Mattatron (a differentiation of Metatron[SUP][1][/SUP]) is an archangel in Judaism. According to Jewish medieval apocrypha, he is Enoch, ancestor of Noah, transformed into an angel. There are no references to Metatron as an angel in the Jewish Tanakh or Christian scriptures (New and Old Testament); however, Genesis 5:24 is often cited as evidence of Enoch's ascension into an angel—"Enoch walked with God; then he was no more, because God took him away." Although he is mentioned in a few brief passages in the Talmud, Metatron appears primarily in medieval Jewish mystical texts and other post-scriptural esoteric and occult sources, such as the Books of Enoch—1 Enoch, 2 Enoch, and 3 Enoch. In Rabbinic tradition, he is the highest of the angels and serves as the celestial scribe.[SUP]

Metatron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[/SUP]

P

psychomom

I think most people who get sucked into the movement begin with good intentions.
They don't know the dangers...and it's a tiny incremental thing...

just like all 'good' cults. :(

Shilo

Aug 31, 2011
I hope I answer your questions here.
It is through belief in Yeshua all he did and who he is that I place my faith. It is by understanding that I am lost in sin without him and that there is no way for me to rise out of that pit without him that I place my faith. I know that out of his great love for me ( people) that he went to the cross and took the punishment that would have been mine Romans 5:8, Isaiah 53 (. This is the first step he becomes our savior then we grow in grace and follow him as our LORD.My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me(Galatians 2:20) Our LORD said John 14:21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.John 14:15,John 14:23,John 15:10,and 1 John 5:3. Yeshua is not just my savior he is my LORD.

Corinthians 15:49 And just as we have borne the image of the earthly man, so shall we bear the image of the heavenly man. We are to grow in God’s grace and walk as Yeshua walked. Yeshua followed the commands that are written it the word of God and we are to do like wise or we are not growing in his likeness. 1 John 5:17 All wrong doing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death. 1 John 3:4Everyone who sins is breaking God's law, for all sin is contrary to the law of God. If you read everything I wrote in the counting of the Omer you will see it is asking God to strength, purify , guide and protect his people. Any good that a person does is because of God. We work with God to transform our lives. James 2:17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. This work is not of ourselves but a gift from God.Psalm 25:4 Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths.
Merit the inherent rights and wrongs of a matter. If you follow Gods ways you are counted as righteous you are living your live in the right way according to god.That you may walk in the way of good men, and keep the paths of the righteous-Proverbs 2:20. The righteousness of the upright delivers them, but the unfaithful are trapped by evil desiresProverbs 11:6. Faith is provenby following the ways of the LORD and he has said he will bless them that do this. Non is without sin but God has said there is a merit or reward for those who walk rightly. Why do we walk in his ways because of our faith in him not ourselves. Romans 6:16 Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey--whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?Genesis 4:7f you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.
1 John 2:3 We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands.

No!
Just like there are different branches of main stream Christian denominations like Catholic, Baptist , Pentecostal and so on. There are different groups that fall under the Hebrew roots movement. They do not all follow the same things. The Messianic group follows the Old and new testament with root word study in Greek and Hebrew. It has nothing to do with kabbalah. There is a another group who call themselves Christian Kabbalah they dig into the Hebrew roots with extra writing. Just as you cannot put all Christian groups into one box you cannot do this with the Hebrew root movement.

Oct 31, 2011
Do you think so, Ken?

I disagree. If one looks deeply enough into the movement, which focuses primarily on the talmud and the mishnah and the midrash, one can see where this is all heading.

I don't think "the movement" is what we are talking about here, or focusing on some men's ideas of what God wants of us. I don't think we are to follow any movement or denomination, we are to follow scripture and God. I don't think we should guide our understanding of scripture based on anything but scripture. If a denomination has found a truth, we follow the truth not the denomination. If they are in error about something, we don't follow that error because we like some things about the denomination's understanding.

P

psychomom

I don't think "the movement" is what we are talking about here, or focusing on some men's ideas of what God wants of us. I don't think we are to follow any movement or denomination, we are to follow scripture and God. I don't think we should guide our understanding of scripture based on anything but scripture. If a denomination has found a truth, we follow the truth not the denomination. If they are in error about something, we don't follow that error because we like some things about the denomination's understanding.
I don't think the 'movement' is where your heart is, RedTent. :)
I understand you just want the entire written Word of God.

Sorry for the derailment. ♥

P

psychomom

But......we DO need to be careful we are not led astray from faith in the Lord Jesus back to lawkeeping for righteousness.
It never saved the OT saints, and it can never save us, either. ♥

K

kenisyes

But......we DO need to be careful we are not led astray from faith in the Lord Jesus back to lawkeeping for righteousness.
It never saved the OT saints, and it can never save us, either. ♥
Now that you have posted what the movement is for us, I don't like it either. Kabbalah is middle ages witchcraft. The Jewish version of John Dee. My wife once had a rabbi's wife pray for her by Kaballah, she had to treat it like a witchcraft spell and block demons. Regardless of what the books themselves say, anything Zohar and beyond is suspect. I Enoch I think is valid as a historical source, and presents an accurate picture of the time of Noah, as perceived by the people Jesus spoke to in His ministry.

K

kenisyes

Do you think so, Ken?

I thought I posted this, but it is not here, so I am saying it again. I know nothing about any Hebrew Roots Movement. I don't like movements generally. By the time they are pervasive enough to be a "movement", God has usually moved on to something else.

I got into Hebrew many years ago, and what I say is from my own studies. When I read Talmud, I separate pre-Jesus from post-Jerusalem fall. This is easy to do, as every comment is quoted with an author. I find the pre-Jesus stuff quite valuable. After all, until Jesus came, the Jews were the people closest to God on the earth. After the Jews rejected Jesus, there is little of value in how they thought. Since the practice of counting the omer, and the prayer come from before Jesus' time, I felt justified in drawing a conclusion.

Oct 31, 2011
I don't know much about the Hebrew Roots movement. When I mention my study of OT, my pastor turns me off saying it is from Hebrew Roots and tells me he is against it.

I study the OT in a commentary that the author starts out as saying "from a Hebrew Roots perspective". He talks about how the rabbis interpreted bible, but always as man's interpretation and as one way to look at it. As this man explains his "Hebrew Roots perspective" he says that it is recognizing the importance of the OT in understanding the New. I haven't found any of what I hear is wrong with the Hebrew Roots in his explaining OT, but he uses a lot of what has been discovered about the times and culture of the people and times of ancient Hebrews by scholars who say thier learning originated from the Deep Sea Scrolls. He explains "works" "grace", all of it just as Paul writes us about it. In fact a lot of the study is study of the NT.

I have gone twice to a Messianic Synagogue in my town. I was impressed with the worship there. All people seemed to be part of even the talk about scripture, it wasn't just being spoken to. What was different was what they called Davidic dance. About 15 or so people who had taken lessons used a sort of line dancing, very subdued and reverent it seemed to me, that they told me stemmed from the dance that David did. From watching this dance, there seemed to be no question that to them each movement was an expression of quiet reverence.

They do use the feasts, etc. as part of worship. But they didn't seem to be done in the spirit scripture objects to, that they can be done without involvement with God, or done without Christ. It was a way they had to celebrate Christ and God's plan for our world.

From these things, I haven't seen anything terribly wrong with what they were doing.

Shilo

Aug 31, 2011
Is there a ritual connected to this? Can we just say "Thank you Lord" or is there something done physically to show our thanks? You say "in front of our brothers and sisters". In my church I'd be run out on a rail if I waved a sheaf of grain.
There are different ways that people represent the count of the Omer. Every evening a prayer is said that helps us reflect on our Spiritual journey. Our we walking close to God are we putting first thing first. This is a time of self-examination what can we change in our life at this time to draw us closer to him. Let us count our days and remember this material world is passing away and we need to judge the path we are on and make corrections if necessary . If we judge ourselves now and move on to the righteous path we will not be the ones who say LORD, LORD and hear him say I never knew you. This all leads up to Shavuot time when Israel met their God and stood before him. We will all stand before God and given an account of ourselves.
Some people put rice or something in a jar to show the count of the days. Then at the end when you come to Shavuot you make a Special offering to the LORD.

I look at it as Passover Yeshua came and showed us how to live. The gift of each day give us is our opportunity to grow in his likeness through wisdom of studying the word, asking the Holy Spirit to help us and self examination. If we do those things we will be ready to meet the LORD.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that need not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Messianic Dance Photos

Messianic Dance Photos < click

like this i assume?

is that Deveikut in Niggunim?

[video=youtube;aQ9pVDwoaSA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ9pVDwoaSA[/video]

~

Also popular is Messianic (or Davidic) dance, styled on Israeli folk dancing. Today evangelicals produce and buy instructional DVDs—a Messianic Marketplace best-seller—attend Davidic dance classes, and see troupes perform at mega-churches nation-wide.

Philosemitism in this form owes much to the nineteenth-century spread of premillennial dispensationalism, a theology that revised the supercessionist belief that God’s covenant with the Jews had ended, replaced by a new covenant with Christians. Dispensationalists began to view Jewish people as integral to Christian sacred history; their return to Jerusalem would presage the Messiah’s second coming. The 1967 Arab-Israeli War, when the city fell under Jewish control, seemed like prophetic affirmation and philosemitic theologies spread quickly, bolstered also by Christian attempts to grapple with the Holocaust and by their growing interest in inter-faith dialogue with Jews. Philosemitism is a major theological building block of Christian Zionism, a Christian movement to support the state of Israel politically, economically, and spiritually.

But philosemitism is not synonymous with Christian Zionism and political support for Israel. Nor is it generally directed towards interfaith dialogue or proselytism, as some Jewish commentators suspect. As historians Jonathan Karp and Adam Sutcliffe have shown in their recent edited volume, Philosemitism in History, it is a varied phenomenon with deep historical roots. They, like most scholars and journalists, focus on discourse or theology and its socio-political consequences. But in contemporary American Christianity, philosemitism is also religious practice: the objects Christians use and the rituals they perform.

Christian Seders were one of the first widespread philosemitic rituals. In Judaism, the Seder is the ritual meal during Passover commemorating the Israelite exodus from Egypt. Liberal Unitarian Universalist and mainline Christian congregations adopted the Seder in the early 1960s.

Evangelical Ketubah, Messianic Mezuzah: Judaica for Christians | Religion & Politics < click

to each their own.

Last edited:

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Thank you, and it was stated above that there does appear to be different Hebrew roots movements.

To know the Truth one must know Father and Son.

We have some that want one without the other and it is not so, that goes both ways...