Covet?? Am i breaking the law by collecting bibles???

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 4, 2022
I love collecting bibles and other Christian books...my question am I coveting by wanting to collect??? I feel like I need a new book every often to stay inspired.... But I know God doesn't like happiness through material things. 🤔 what do you guys think?? I also think the bible is a necessity.... ???

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
If it becomes an obsession, that could be an indication that it is becoming a form of idolatry. If it’s just a hobby, I’m sure your not coveting anything

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I love collecting bibles and other Christian books...my question am I coveting by wanting to collect???
As long as you do not go overboard, there is nothing wrong with this.

resto

Feb 25, 2019
I love collecting bibles and other Christian books...my question am I coveting by wanting to collect??? I feel like I need a new book every often to stay inspired.... But I know God doesn't like happiness through material things. 🤔 what do you guys think?? I also think the bible is a necessity.... ???
I dont see anything wrong with it. Many people collect things, its a Hobby. Unless you sold a child or lost your house or got divorced over it. I know a guy who paid a Million Five, for a Bible that was brought over on the Mayflower. Hes got that kind of money. He had it sealed in a case filled with dry Nitrogen. Hes a Billionaire. It is his Prized Possession. Good Father, Good Husband, gives to Charity.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I asked myself that last year.
The thing about it is that except for a couple with the large print and margins, I want to give them away. When someone gets saved and show an interest in reading the Bible, they are provided one. There's an idea.
Just remember that they won't do you any good unless you use them or someone else does sooner or later. I just don't want them pitched into the garbage or thrift store by a.famiky member who might be left behind. I want them to get saved and receive a Bible to use as a blessing.

Jun 20, 2022
do you feel guilty thinking about wanting a new book or Bible?

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Does your practice keep you from seeking first His kingdom and righteousness? Are you more satisfied with a new purchase than you are in God?

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011

Things seem to take place for a reason,,in collecting ,,Bible(S),, have you noticed that there is an "Bible interpretation" that reflects most near every eschatological camps position yet? Your asking about collecting Bibles but there's no way you can read one interpretation and not be in camp "A" in the end. If you read another interpretation you will end up believing camp "B" is correct because it explains that this is what it means from camp "B's" point of view. All you really need to do is ask which interpretation they suggest you buy and the elders of your Church will suggest which one they think you should buy(and collect in your case).

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
funny today I was at a thrift store and noticed a sign on a shelf, "OLD BIBLES: LIMIT 2"

:LOL:

There are much worse habits bro. I collect cheap, ill-fitting suits ((hence my visit to haven-of-rest 2nd hand store today)) - which of us is worse off?

If it bothers you, set it aside so you aren't troubled. if you have joy in it, be thankful, and don't walk full of worry.
God has forgiven you your sins! can those things possibly separate you from His love??

selahsays

May 31, 2023
I think collecting Bibles must make our Father smile. It’s His Word, after all. He tells us over and over, “It is written.” Why? because He wants us to read it. :)

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
This is what this person says -------about Bible hobby

https://writness.wordpress.com/2016/04/19/your-premium-bible-hobby-might-be-idolatry-if/

Your premium Bible “hobby” might be idolatry if…

1. …a package en route makes you giddy, signaled by such things as repeatedly tracking its progress, hoping “today will be the day”, intercepting the package at the post office, or stalking the delivery person.
  2. …you feel withdrawal or melancholy if you haven’t received a new Bible in a while and currently have none en route. You have the itch for another one you don’t need.
  3. …you panic if someone touches your Bible (God forbid it’s a child!) #FirstWorldProblems
  4. …you spend more time admiring the binding on your Bible than you do studying it.
  5. …you spend money you do not have to acquire a Bible you do not need.
  6. …you neglect giving sacrificially to the Church and missions, and yet you can scrounge the cash (or go into debt) for a goatskin Bible.
  7. …you search google images to try and see what Bibles famous pastors use. #GetALife
  8. …your “hobby” causes conflict in your marriage.
  9. …you make your kids guess the material of your new Bible(s). My 4-year-old son says, “Goatskin agaaaaiiiin?!”
  10. …you spend more time taking “Bible selfies” and enjoying other people’s Bibles vicariously through online media and blogs than you do exulting in the Scriptures and serving others out of your love for God and His word.
  11. …your quiet time sometimes ends by taking a photo of your Bible next to your chair and cup of coffee. #NotCute
  12. …you talk to yourself in the car about what Bible is your favorite and why (maybe thats good preparation for blog posts, but it sure is weird at best and idolatrous at worst!).
  13. …you check eBay 3+ times per day for new premium Bible listings.
  14. …you have owned different copies of the same Bible 4+ times.
  15. …you try to color coordinate your various Bibles.
  16. …you pester the publishers and vendors with petty concerns and quibbles. #OCD…#Perfectionist…#LongingForEden?
  17. …your counselor knows about your goatskin Bibles. #Addict
  18. …you want to have a backup of your favorite $200 Bible in case it breaks down (even though the reason it cost you $200 is so it won’t break down!).
  19. …you have difficulty connecting with God using a run of the mill, El Cheap-O Bible.
  20. …you wish you could take your Bible(s) to bed with you, but you settle for the nightstand.
  21. …you got defensive when you read the title of this post. #OUCH!

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
can one actually “covet “ Gods word ?

coveting is like a root sin David first looked at another man’s wife and began to cover her and lust after her ehoch led him to adultery , and also being responsible for killing a good man to cover it up after he impregnated Uriah’s wife

what im saying is “coveting “us to desire and list after something opposed to Gods word like looking upon another man’s wife while she is naked and beginning to list after her I don’t think collecting bibles is going to lead you into sin what your doing isn’t actually coveting of your looking upon another man’s wife and you begin to desire in your heart something sinful like adultery that’s coveting the Ten Commandments all work together coveting is connected to adultery , murder , lies and deceit ect it’s like the root of those other things

May 24, 2023
No, unless you are stealing them from other people in which case then the answer would be yes. You cannot really covet that which you own because you already possess it. By definition to covet something means to desire to possess something that you do not have.

May 24, 2023
Yes but what if it was your covetousness which caused you to possess it?
Again, unless the person stole them, or obtained them through fraud or deceit, then it's no problem and is not really covetousness. Assuming the person has acquired these things legitimately that does not constitute covetousness. Don't overthink it, it's not really the hardest nut to crack.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Again, unless the person stole them, or obtained them through fraud or deceit, then it's no problem and is not really covetousness.
Do you understand the meaning of covetousness? It is the unlawful and sinful desire for something (the lust of the eyes), whether legally obtained or not. You do not have to defraud someone else in order to covet.

Outline of Biblical Usage
  1. to desire, covet, take pleasure in, delight in
    1. (Qal) to desire
    2. (Niphal) to be desirable
    3. (Piel) to delight greatly, desire greatly

May 24, 2023
Do you understand the meaning of covetousness? It is the unlawful and sinful desire for something (the lust of the eyes), whether legally obtained or not. You do not have to defraud someone else in order to covet.

Outline of Biblical Usage
  1. to desire, covet, take pleasure in, delight in
    1. (Qal) to desire
    2. (Niphal) to be desirable
    3. (Piel) to delight greatly, desire greatly
Frankly I think you're straining for a gnat. There is no sin here in collecting Bibles provided they are collected legitimately. Let's not be silly now.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/covet

transitive verb
: to wish for earnestly
covet an award

: to desire (what belongs to another) inordinately or culpably
The king's brother coveted the throne.

intransitive verb
: to feel inordinate desire for what belongs to another

K

KlND

I question that everytime I move but then I remember that Jesus carried his crucifixion cross and if he could do that for us then all my books become lighter.

Reading and learning is a blessing especially about Christianity. :)
Hosanna!