CRA Christians in Recovery (anonymous)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 28, 2016
Simply put, some people are set aside and chosen by God before they were even conceived in the womb. Most have hard lives in one form or another, marry late or not at all, and are lost here in the world. I would say almost all have a major role to play when the time is right. And all have been given some sort of prophetic gift.
==================================================
very insightful post...

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
MONDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2019

THANKSGIVING DAY

Being grateful for the people around us and the things we have is of great value in leading a contented life in recovery. Acknowledging small blessings reduces stress and increases joy. No one has a perfect life with everything they want, but all of us have much to be grateful for. Thanksgiving is a great time to step back and notice the things that are truly important in life.

Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5:18 NLT)

This Thanksgiving holiday celebration may be stressful for some of us because our relationship with family and loved ones remains challenging. However, we can still give thanks for our friends that are around us in recovery and know that with God’s help things will get better. Perhaps there is someone in our family we could contact and let know that we are thankful for their patience with us when we've struggled to do life. We can also pray and look forward with hope that family relationships will be restored.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13 NIV)

As we daily turn our will and life over to God’s care, His unfailing love and forgiveness will give us the strength we need for the journey ahead. The road to recovery is one of experiencing the great love of God for us and being thankful that He lifted us out of the pit of sin and brought us into the light of His presence. We will set ourselves up for confusion, darkness, and relapse if we abandon the practice of humbly thanking God for all He has done for us.

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused. (1 Chronicles 16:34, NIV; Romans 1:21 NLT)

Prayer: Gracious God, Thank You for my life, for hope, for family and friends. Thank You also for the opportunities that lie ahead as I surrender my will and life to Your care. Amen

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
From PiH, todays meditation;

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2019

DO I BELIEVE GOD LOVES ME?

Often the root of our problems is what we choose to believe. In our hearts we tell ourselves that if God truly loved us, He would have spared us from the troubles that harmed us, and He didn’t. How could He love us and let us experience such pain and injustice? How could a loving God have our best interests in mind when He asks us to walk a difficult and challenging way of confronting the pain and brokenness in our lives? Wouldn’t a loving God give something softer and easier after all the hardship we’ve experienced?

When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. Now, most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, though someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good. But God showed His great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. (Romans 5:6-8 NLT)

The truth is that God has done more than we realize to make our lives better. Jesus suffered on the cross so we could be set free from our sin and healed from our brokenness. We were helpless to do anything about either of those conditions, so God stepped in and provided exactly what we needed. Will we accept what He’s done? Will we turn over our sin and suffering and accept His saving and life-giving sacrifice on our behalf?

No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:39 NLT)

It is God’s desire to restore us to a relationship with Him that is life giving and satisfying. Sanity will return when we actively live according to God’s word as recorded in the Bible. As we purposefully work to free those sections of our heart that are locked in hatred and victimization, healing will come. We will also more easily enter into a loving relationship with God, and healthy relationships with others. God’s love for us is unchanging. His mighty power helps us do what He says, even when it makes no sense to us at all.

Prayer: Loving God, I admit that I’m helpless and that my thinking and believing about You have been twisted and confused. I turn away from looking for any other power to sort out my pain and confusion. I turn to You. Forgive me. Heal me. Come and live in me and show me what my life is truly all about. Amen

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 16, 2019

BROKEN PROMISES

A dollar bill is only as good as the government or bank that has promised to give value to the holder of the bill. The piece of paper itself is of little value but the issuer or backer of the bill is what makes it valuable. Even if a dollar bill is worn, dirty and crumpled, it still has the same value as that of a new note. Some countries have had their currency devalued because of being unable to fulfill the promises written on their monetary bills. When it comes to God’s promises as recorded in the Bible, we can rest assured that they will be fulfilled through all generations.

I bow before your holy Temple as I worship. I praise your name for your unfailing love and faithfulness; for your promises are backed by all the honor of your name. (Psalm 138:2 NLT)

In our self-obsessed lifestyle we devalued ourselves in many ways. We made promises to family members and friends which we never intended to keep. Our promises to those to whom we truly mattered were of no value, and we didn’t care about the harm we caused. We were captive to our addiction and our lives were unmanageable. Even in our confused state, God continued to pursue us with His love, and we responded.

God, you’re my last chance of the day. I spend the night on my knees before you. Put me on your salvation agenda; take notes on the trouble I’m in. (Psalm 88:1-2 MSG)

In recovery, we have grieved over our broken promises. We desired to make amends for the harm we caused and some that we hurt have been willing to accept and forgive us, while others have doubted that we were genuine.

God knows our hearts and our value rests on who He says we are. Our value for eternity is backed by God’s promise that whoever believes in Jesus will have everlasting life. If we wholeheartedly give our will and life over to the care of God, that’s a promise that will be fulfilled!

Prayer: Gracious Father, I repent of the times I made promises without any intention of fulfillment. I ask Your forgiveness for all my rebellious ways and choose to give my will and life over to Your care. I am grateful for the value You see in me. Amen

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Todays meditation from partners in hope]

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2019

BEING GRACIOUS TO ALL

God created us in love and desires that we love Him with all our heart, with all our soul, with all our strength and with all our mind and that we love our neighbour as ourselves. A man who was a religious scholar in the Jewish faith asked Jesus to define who was his neighbour while believing that only a fellow Israelite was truly his neighbour. Jesus, however, gave a different interpretation of who our neighbour is.

You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies. Pray for those who treat you badly. (Matthew 5:43-44 ERV)

To illustrate who His neighbour was Jesus told a story about a man who was travelling from Jerusalem to Jericho. He was beaten up by a gang of robbers who left him half dead. Two people saw the man lying on side of the road and did not stop to help him. The third person who came along was a Samaritan. The Jews despised the Samaritans. However, the Samaritan stopped and helped the injured man. He cleansed the man’s wounds with oil and wine and bound them up, set the man on his own donkey and took him to an inn. He paid the inn keeper to take care of him until his return and was willing to pay any extra costs incurred. When Jesus asked the religious scholar which one was a neighbour to the man, he replied, “The one who had mercy on him.” Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

“What do you think? Which of the three became a neighbor to the man attacked by robbers?” “The one who treated him kindly,” the religion scholar responded. Jesus said, “Go and do the same.” (Luke 10:36-37 MSG)

How do we treat others? Are we gracious to our neighbours? Do we take the time to listen or help someone who is in need or are we just too busy to help? What about those who haven’t treated us well? From the overflow of God’s generosity to us, are we willing to help others – even our enemies?

Do to others as you would like them to do to you. (Luke 6:31 NLT)

Prayer: Loving God, In Your amazing love and grace You have brought me to new life in You. Help me to be alert to my neighbour’s needs and to take the time to stop and listen and help when I can. Help me to be more like Jesus. Amen

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2019

COURAGE TO TAKE THE NEXT STEP

How do we find the courage to try something new or go after what we really want? Fear can feel overwhelming and too often we let it interfere with the next step we need to take to build a solid foundation in recovery.

Courage isn’t the absence of fear. Courage means that we take advantage of the little strength we find within ourselves and stubbornly stick with God who will provide all the strength we need. Having the courage to change does not mean we will never experience fear. It simply means we trust God to support us as we take the next step.

In the Bible when Jesus walks on the water, the disciples are terrified when they see him. “Lord, is it you?” Peter asked. “If it is, tell me to come to you on the water.” “Come,” Jesus said. So Peter got out of the boat. He walked on the water toward Jesus. But when Peter saw the wind, he was afraid. He began to sink. He cried out, “Lord! Save me!” Right away Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “Your faith is so small!” he said. “Why did you doubt me?” (Matthew 14:28-31 NIRV).

Peter was a “crazy man” but he also was someone who accomplished so much that we are still talking about him and learning from him 2000 years later. Just like us, Peter made a number of bad choices when he was afraid. However, Peter also learned from the things Jesus taught him in those moments. In the story quoted above Peter was bold enough to climb out of a boat in a storm and walk toward Jesus. Peter gathered up enough courage to take one step. He ventured out into a new experience. When he looked at the circumstances around him, he suddenly got scared and started to sink. At that moment Peter made a good choice. He called out to Jesus and found the help he needed. Jesus then simply said to Peter as He would say to us, “Why did you doubt me?”

As we move forward in recovery, all we need is the courage to take the next step. This doesn’t mean that we won’t be afraid or won’t need help. It means that we will summon the faith and courage to take one more step. As we do, God will support us with the necessary strength to continue our journey.

Prayer: Loving God, help me to find the courage to take the next right step. Remind me that you are always with me and I can call to You for help in every situation. Amen

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
From Partners in Hope for today

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2019

WILLING TO ACCEPT GOD AS HE IS

Since God has always loved us and consistently called us to Himself it makes sense that in recovery, we can expect God’s grace and love to take us forward. Why then do we find it difficult to follow His will and put our lives into His care?

Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. For God has said, “I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.” (1 Peter 5:7, Hebrews 13:5b NLT)

Turning our will over to the care of God involves becoming willing to accept God as He is, rather than insisting on creating Him in our image, based on our own foolish ideas. We will never experience real satisfaction until we shape our lives by what is real. Only God knows what that looks like for each of us. The God who created us draws us into what He alone knows is good for us and He warns us away from those things that would be harmful. God’s thinking is not twisted by wounds and resentments and shame and fear. His perspective is solely that of love and blessing. His desire is for us to know Him and the satisfying way of life He provides.

So we can say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?” (Hebrews 13:6 NLT)

Who is this God to whom we should surrender our will and our lives? We may not fully know Him or how good He is, but if we choose to begin this journey with even the little understanding we have, we will discover that His promises are trustworthy and He’s better than we could even hope for or imagine.

Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever. (Psalm 23:6 NLT)

Prayer: Dearest Jesus, I repent of my sin and ask for the clean heart and the gift of your Holy Spirit that You promise me. I trust you to do in me more than I can even ask or imagine. I pray Your will, not mine, be done. Help me to choose for Your way every time. Amen

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2019

SUNDAY PSALM – WHO GETS THE PRAISE?

God raises up people and puts them down. He alone is the righteous judge of all. From the following Psalm we learn it is better to be humble than to risk the judgment of God and have Him deal with our pride.

We praise you, God! We praise you because you are near to us. We tell about the amazing things you have done. God says, “I have chosen a time for judgment, and I will judge fairly. The earth and all its people may shake, but I am the one who keeps it steady. “To those who are proud I say, ‘Stop your boasting.’ I warn the wicked, ‘Don’t brag about how strong you are. Don’t be so sure that you will win. Don’t boast that victory is yours!’” There is no power on earth that can make a person important. God is the judge. He decides who will be important. He lifts one person up and brings another down. (Psalm 75:1-7 ERV)

Today’s Psalm tells us that the earth and all its people may shake but God is the one who keeps everything steady. Some people will mock us when they hear us talk about God and praise Him for His goodness. Others may gossip and say unkind things about us and the God we love. We need to be careful that we are not guilty of gossip and of saying unkind things about even those who hurt us. All of us should be aware that on the day of judgment, we will give account for every idle word we say.

Some of our problems with others could be avoided if we were to stop bragging and boasting about ourselves. God knows the qualities and skills He has given each of us and desires that we use them for the good of others. If these qualities and skills come from Him, should He not be the one who is thanked and praised when we do well?

In thanksgiving for our life with God in recovery, let’s make a point of daily telling others about the amazing things God has done for us, and ensure that He gets all the praise.

Prayer: Almighty God, Forgive me when I put others down either by gossiping or bragging. I acknowledge that You alone are all powerful and give You praise for all You have done for me. You truly are an amazing God. Amen

(co Partners in Hope)

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
MONDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2019

KNOWING GOD’S WILL

Just for today I will try to live in conscious contact with God praying only for knowledge of His will and the power to carry it out.

So don’t be foolish with your lives, but learn what the Lord wants you to do. (Ephesians 5:17 ERV)

The founders of AA were clear that we needed to both get to know God’s will and receive the power to carry it out. The first principle we should acknowledge is that we need help in order to do God’s will. We need to ask for the gift of understanding and for God to do for us what we cannot do for ourselves. God is more than willing to give us gifts, but we need to be humble and admit that we need to open our hearts and minds to receive what God has to offer.

We keep asking God to fill you with the knowledge of what he wants. We pray he will give you the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives. (Colossians 1:9b NIRV)

We need to lay down our own perspective on what is needed in any given situation in our day and be willing to see things from God’s perspective. Our old ways of understanding are flawed. They may be familiar, but they took us to dark and destructive places. We need what is new, even though that often means embracing something different and unknown.

We can be encouraged and overcome our vulnerability as we hear the testimony of others and how doing God’s will made a positive difference in their lives. Each time we stretch ourselves to follow God’s will as laid out in the Bible, we increase our own deposit of peace and trust as we discover that God is true to all His promises.

Walk in obedience to all that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days. (Deuteronomy 5:33 NIV)

Prayer: Heavenly Father, Help me to humble myself and let go of my own perspective of life. I desire to know Your will for my life and put it into practice in all my affairs. Please give me the gift of understanding how to do this. Amen

(co Partners in Hope ministries, Canada.)

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 22, 2019

DO GOOD TO THOSE WHO HATE YOU – REALLY?

Love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. Ask God to bless the people who ask for bad things to happen to you. Pray for the people who are mean to you. If you do this, you will have a great reward. You will be children of the Most High God. God is good even to the people who are full of sin and not thankful. Give love and mercy the same as your Father gives love and mercy. (Luke 6:27b-28, 35b-36 ERV)

We begin today’s meditation with Jesus’ words – perhaps some of the most challenging ever. It takes great courage and endurance to love anyone who is a hardto-love person with character defects that irritate us. It seems almost impossible to love them when their shortcomings have injured us and perhaps continue to inflict harm on us when we are around them. We don’t want to be co-dependent and allow those who harm us to continue to do so. Neither do we want to be people who are filled with resentment and hate because we know that is poison for us. So, how are we to respond today to what Jesus is saying?

As is true in every situation, if we seek God first, all the rest will find its way. God loved us when we were full of sin. He sorted out who we were from what we did. He never condoned our bad behaviour, He simply showed grace to us and invited us to accept His love. God sent Jesus to pay the price for our sins and restore our relationship with Him.

And then He waited – waited for us to realize the error of our ways and repent and turn to Him. He was ready and waiting for relationship with us when we were ready. In the same way, while we are right to establish healthy boundaries from people who harm us, we must deal with our own hearts towards them. We must forgive, receive healing, and develop a sincere desire for something good to happen in their lives. The most effective way to deal with the situation is to pray a blessing on them so they become conscious of God’s invitation to new life and more readily be able to respond. As we seek God for the right response, He may suggest ways for us to be kind and bless the person in some tangible way. Remember hatred stirs up strife but love will cover a multitude of sins.

Prayer: Loving God, while I was still your enemy, You invited me to come to You and receive Your love and forgiveness. Thank You for teaching me Your ways through both Your life and Your written word. Please fill my heart with Your love so I may find a way to bless others as You have blessed me. Amen

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Dual Diagnosis

Health professionals give a dual diagnosis when a patient is found to suffer from a mental health disorder along with substance addiction. When there are co-occurring disorders, each issue needs to be addressed for a full and lasting recovery. Get the facts on other disorders commonly intertwined that may require a dual diagnosis.

Differentiating Borderline Personality and Bipolar Disorders
By Rebecca Kovacs Jul 31 2019
Share to Twitter Share to Facebook

Borderline Personality Disorder and Bipolar Disorder are two different disorders, yet they are commonly mistaken as being one and the same. While the two mental disorders do share some similarities, it’s important to understand the difference between the two when making a mental health assessment or diagnosis and receiving treatment.
In order to differentiate the two disorders, we need a better understanding of each condition to help clear up any misconceptions.

Bipolar Disorder

Let’s start with bipolar disorder, which is commonly misdiagnosed as depression or anxiety. Classic bipolar disorder is characterized by a drastic change in mood and/or behavior. Those with bipolar disorder tend to cycle between extreme highs—or mania—and deep lows of depressive episodes. Manic and hypomanic (less extreme mania) episodes include racing thoughts, the need for less sleep, risky behavior, euphoric feelings and increased energy levels, among other symptoms.

The swing to a bipolar depressive episode must last at least two weeks and be characterized with symptoms such as depression, loss of energy, more sleep than normal, feeling empty or hopeless and a loss of interest or enjoyment in activities. Weight changes and suicidal thoughts may also be present. Suicidal thoughts must be taken seriously, and may be present during both depressive and manic episodes.

Treatment for bipolar disorder includes mood stabilizers, antidepressants, antipsychotics and sometimes anti-anxiety prescription medication combined with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). More than one medication may be used, depending on the variety and severity of symptoms. Keeping the bipolar person’s mood as stable and balanced as possible is key to managing the symptoms.

Borderline Personality Disorder

So how is bipolar disorder (BD) similar to its counterpart, borderline personality disorder (BPD)? Both disorders have erratic energy levels, but while BP swings between both elation and depression, BPD is characterized with a larger frequency of depression with shorter bouts of anxiety, impulsivity or elation. BPD sufferers also experience hypomania—in this case the mania is characterized by irritability, anxiety, negative mood impulses and self-destructive behavior, whereas bipolar mania is more euphoric. Both disorders result in high levels of anxiety, impulsivity and neuroticism.

Individuals coping with BPD may be uncertain about how to view themselves and others, with trouble managing their emotions and a very unsteady sense of self. Relationships with others are also highly unstable. Classic symptoms as listed in the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual) range from a poor or unstable sense of self to anger and extreme mood shifts. Those with BPD also experience empty feelings, thoughts of self-harm, and a feeling of being cut off from reality. The condition, much like bipolar disorder, commonly co-occurs with substance abuse.

(C.O, https://www.soberrecovery.com/)

Oct 5, 2019
Dual Diagnosis

Health professionals give a dual diagnosis when a patient is found to suffer from a mental health disorder along with substance addiction. When there are co-occurring disorders, each issue needs to be addressed for a full and lasting recovery. Get the facts on other disorders commonly intertwined that may require a dual diagnosis.

Differentiating Borderline Personality and Bipolar Disorders
By Rebecca Kovacs Jul 31 2019
Share to Twitter Share to Facebook

Borderline Personality Disorder and Bipolar Disorder are two different disorders, yet they are commonly mistaken as being one and the same. While the two mental disorders do share some similarities, it’s important to understand the difference between the two when making a mental health assessment or diagnosis and receiving treatment.
In order to differentiate the two disorders, we need a better understanding of each condition to help clear up any misconceptions.

Bipolar Disorder

Let’s start with bipolar disorder, which is commonly misdiagnosed as depression or anxiety. Classic bipolar disorder is characterized by a drastic change in mood and/or behavior. Those with bipolar disorder tend to cycle between extreme highs—or mania—and deep lows of depressive episodes. Manic and hypomanic (less extreme mania) episodes include racing thoughts, the need for less sleep, risky behavior, euphoric feelings and increased energy levels, among other symptoms.

The swing to a bipolar depressive episode must last at least two weeks and be characterized with symptoms such as depression, loss of energy, more sleep than normal, feeling empty or hopeless and a loss of interest or enjoyment in activities. Weight changes and suicidal thoughts may also be present. Suicidal thoughts must be taken seriously, and may be present during both depressive and manic episodes.

Treatment for bipolar disorder includes mood stabilizers, antidepressants, antipsychotics and sometimes anti-anxiety prescription medication combined with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). More than one medication may be used, depending on the variety and severity of symptoms. Keeping the bipolar person’s mood as stable and balanced as possible is key to managing the symptoms.

Borderline Personality Disorder

So how is bipolar disorder (BD) similar to its counterpart, borderline personality disorder (BPD)? Both disorders have erratic energy levels, but while BP swings between both elation and depression, BPD is characterized with a larger frequency of depression with shorter bouts of anxiety, impulsivity or elation. BPD sufferers also experience hypomania—in this case the mania is characterized by irritability, anxiety, negative mood impulses and self-destructive behavior, whereas bipolar mania is more euphoric. Both disorders result in high levels of anxiety, impulsivity and neuroticism.

Individuals coping with BPD may be uncertain about how to view themselves and others, with trouble managing their emotions and a very unsteady sense of self. Relationships with others are also highly unstable. Classic symptoms as listed in the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual) range from a poor or unstable sense of self to anger and extreme mood shifts. Those with BPD also experience empty feelings, thoughts of self-harm, and a feeling of being cut off from reality. The condition, much like bipolar disorder, commonly co-occurs with substance abuse.

(C.O, https://www.soberrecovery.com/)
Thank you for your time and effort in posting. Sorry I cannot start conversations or reply because I don't have a paid prescription at the moment. I am no psychiatrist but I feel like I hugely relate to borderline personality disorder.

Oct 5, 2019
Thank you for your time and effort in posting. Sorry I cannot start conversations or reply because I don't have a paid prescription at the moment. I am no psychiatrist but I feel like I hugely relate to borderline personality disorder.
I also did a fair share of research before getting tired and settling.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
You should be able to answer directly on the same PM I sent you. That's one of the reasons why I do it. The other reason is anonymity.. If you feel uncomfortable without a witness @Magenta Said I can invite her into a recovery related PM any time. We are both involved here as well as have had a lot of AA & NA experience Plus she was involved with Emotions Anonymous and I have quite a bit of Dual Recovery Anonymous experience. We have both been on several hospitals and institutions panels separately. Those are the kinds of groups that visit detox & recovery programs hospitals & jails.

We both ave tried Celebrate Recovery which is a wide spectrum Christian !2 step program. I also have their leaders guide. Another 12 stepper from Vancouver gave her a Partners in Hope daily meditations booklet and I checked them out and have downloaded 2 of their daily meditations booklets so far. September and October. They are also Christ centered and include scriptures every day.

keep in touch. Even a simple (y) will let us know you were here and received the message. It's important for us to know we are reaching somebody. It helps us keep going.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Eric Clapton said;

“In the privacy of my room, I begged for help. I had no notion who I thought I was talking to, I just knew that I had come to the end of my tether … and, getting down on my knees, I surrendered. Within a few days I realized that … I had found a place to turn to, a place I’d always known was there but never really wanted, or needed, to believe in. From that day until this, I have never failed to pray in the morning, on my knees, asking for help, and at night, to express gratitude for my life and, most of all, for my sobriety. I choose to kneel because I feel I need to humble myself when I pray, and with my ego, this is the most I can do. If you are asking why I do all this, I will tell you … because it works, as simple as that.”

http://www.reallifestories.org/stories/eric-clapton-no-longer-a-blind-faith/

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2019

CONTINUING TO HOLD A GRUDGE

Unresolved grudges from offences committed against us in childhood, usually show up in adulthood as deeply rooted bitterness. Some of us have carried the grief of these offenses for decades and have tried to relieve the pain and hopelessness we feel with addictive substances or co-dependent relationships. Over the years, by not dealing with our grudges, we have only added to our pain.

See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many. (Hebrews 12:15 NIV)

Forgiveness is the only way to stop the ongoing pain from buried grudges. For some of us who have been victimized, forgiveness is unthinkable. The pain of the offence remains and forgiveness rips at our sense of justice. We want the offender to suffer for what they inflicted on us. However, until we forgive the offender, the offence he or she committed against us will continue to harm us. The occurrence will fester with resentment in our souls, and the link between us and the perpetrator we despise will remain.

Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. (Colossians 3:12-13 NLT)

We can’t change other people, but we can ask God for the courage to change ourselves. Hanging on to a bitter grudge and seeking revenge only sickens our soul and results in damage to those we are close to.

Jesus died for every wrong done to us or done by us. Why not choose to forgive others their sins as God has forgiven ours? Why not take the lingering pain and resentment of offences against us to the cross where they have been atoned for? Why not be guided in all our ways by the love of God?

Prayer: Heavenly Father, Please help me forgive others as You have forgiven me. I bring all grudges and bitterness that I hold against others to You, and ask You to free me from the bondage I have molded for myself. Please heal and restore those dark damaged places within me and help me to walk in the light and peace of Your presence ever with me. Amen

(co Partners in Hope Ministries)

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2019

CONFRONTING SELF-PITY

One of our natural responses to pressure and challenge is to indulge in self-pity. Things aren’t going our way, in our time. A misunderstanding occurs and maybe harsh words are spoken. Someone else seems to be having it easier than us. In these, and many other situations, we are quick to feel sorry for ourselves and sink into the mud of “poor me.”

The question is not, “How do we avoid feeling self-pity?” because all of us will have these feelings at times. What would be more helpful is to ask ourselves, “What can I do to overcome self-pity and quickly get back on track?”

Don’t think of yourself more highly than you should. Be reasonable when you think about yourself. Keep in mind the faith God has given to each of you. (Romans 12:3b NIRV)

God wants us to live in the truth about Him, about ourselves, and about our circumstances. When self-pity arises our first response should be to bring ourselves to God and let Him comfort and care for us. Then, in the security of God’s love, we can sort out if this is super-sensitivity within us that needs to settle down, or a misunderstanding that needs to be respectfully talked about, or a problem that we need God and others to help us deal with.

My God will use his glorious riches to give you everything you need. He will do this through Christ Jesus. The Lord defends his people; he is kind to his servants. (Philippians 4:19, Psalm 135:14 ERV)

Self-pity is never helpful. We need to seek God to defend us. Our part is to stand in the truth and not get dragged down by the discouraging lies that foster selfpity. When it does appear, we can use it as a signal to reach out to God for help. We are assured that when we seek God, He will make all things right as we surrender to His will.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, When I face a problem or hear criticism, help me to take a broader view of the situation and not allow myself to fall into self-pity. Help me to stand on the truth of who You say I am and seek a solution which will bring peace and joy to all concerned. Amen

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2019

DON’T JUST TALK THE TALK BUT WALK THE WALK

When we were trapped in our own personal hell and in bondage to the substance that medicated us, we called out to God. He heard us and set us free. We were grateful to receive forgiveness for our sin and the power of the Holy Spirit to enable us to live the life we always wanted. We were excited to set out on our new journey.

We never stop thanking God for the way you received his word. You heard it from us. But you didn’t accept it as a human word. You accepted it for what it really is. It is God’s word. It is really at work in you who believe. (1 Thessalonians 2:13 NIRV)

The joy of meeting Jesus, our new friend who desires the very best for us, was like having our cake and eating it too. However, as the days and weeks went by, we began to miss the old familiar lifestyle. We started to grumble like the children of Israel whom God had released from slavery in Egypt. On their journey to freedom they missed some things that were available in Egypt and began to see slavery with their wants met as better than freedom. If we are to walk the walk of life with God in recovery, we need to be willing to persevere through the rough country of learning to do things God’s way rather than doing things our way. God is with us and will see us through every pothole we encounter, but we need to determine to stay the course even when the going gets tough.

Whoever hears these teachings of mine and obeys them is like a wise man who built his house on rock. It rained hard, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house. But it did not fall because it was built on rock. (Matthew 7:24-25 ERV)

Talking about building a house is easy, taking the action to build one requires patience, know-how and strength. In recovery, we can’t just talk the talk, we need to have patience and the know-how to walk the walk. God will strengthen us to make the journey, but we need to be willing to surrender to His ways.

Heavenly Father, I don’t just want to talk the talk of recovery, I want to walk the walk. With Your help and guidance, I can sustain the life I want to live without looking back. Please help me! Amen

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Todays meditation from Partners in Hope
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 26, 2019

FINDING THE PERSON GOD CREATED ME TO BE

Many of us lost our true identity because we grew up in dysfunctional families and were forced to assume survival roles. God invites us to the truth that we are loved and that living now in the embrace of His love, we can become the complete person He created us to be. Our life with God in recovery is about finding both character strengths to build on and character defects that hinder us from becoming loving fulfilled individuals.

The God who created us knows what living in love looks like. He is more than willing to teach us about that. However, we must give up control of what we think works because our best efforts led us to lives of addiction and pain. God wants to show us a new way of achieving the life of love we desire.

We love because he first loved us. Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen. And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister. (1 John 4:19-21 NIV)

How often have we felt we were doing pretty well, only to be confronted with a situation that showed us another character defect in need of attention. We cannot excuse one area of defect by simply pointing to all the things we are doing well. While we need to see growth and build on that, we also need to remain humble and recognize that there are still things to learn and put into practice.

The Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. (Micah 6:8 NLT)

As we walk with God, consult wise people, and make an ongoing inventory of our lives, God will show us the adjustments we need to make and give us the desire to do so.

Prayer: Loving God, help me to reclaim the life You planned for me when You created me in love. Give me the humility to see my lingering defects and the willingness to change. I desire to embrace Your way of living and loving in all my ways. Amen