CRA Christians in Recovery (anonymous)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Thank you @JaumeJ ! It is always a pleasure to see your posts :) I hope you are well :D
And I am well pleased to have been able to help you in any way... Truly, it is an honor
and a pleasure. Isn't God amazing? And isn't it wonderful how things work out?

It is almost bedtime for me, but I wanted to share the reading from Partner's
In Hope. Monday's is not posted yet, so I will put up Sunday's reading:

SUNDAY, MARCH 20, 2022 - GOD GIVES - HIS SON
Audio for GOD GIVES - HIS SON

In the Bible we read that God has given us His Son. Why would God do that?
Hundreds of years before Jesus was born into the world, the prophet spoke,

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given. (Isaiah 9:6a NIV)

When Jesus spoke to a Pharisee, named Nicodemus, He said,

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son. (John 3:16a NIV)

Why are we humans so special to God that He gave us His Son? Perhaps its because God put His image on us.

So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he
created them; male and female he created them. (Genesis 1:27 NIV)

When we give our will and life over to the care of God, we are giving ourselves back to God and asking Him to change our fallen human nature for our good and His glory. God gave us His Son and, in obedience to His Father, Jesus took on the human form and nature, but He never sinned. All the sin that the people of the world have committed Jesus took upon Himself, and He died in our place on a wooden cross that we might be reconciled with His Father. Everything Jesus did on earth was for our good and His Father’s glory.

See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! (1 John 3:1a NIV)

When Satan comes to accuse us about sin that is forgiven, the Scriptures tell us how to overcome him with our testimony that all our sins are washed away by the blood of Jesus. When we are tempted, Jesus demonstrated how to answer Satan’s persuasive words to sin. We need to stand firm on the truth of the Scriptures that nothing can separate us from the love of God that is ours through Jesus.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons…..nor anything else in all creation,
will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38a, 39 NIV)

Prayer: Gracious Father, Thank You for giving us Your Son by whose death and resurrection we have new life. Amen

©2022 Partners in Hope

Romans 8:38-39 + Psalm 91-11
:)

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
I did not see your post until just now... and I can relate! I did not think I had a problem with drugs and alcohol either, because I liked drinking and drugging. That is not to say I did not get into trouble, because I most certainly did: hospitalized a number of times, ODs, alcohol poisoning, not to mention doing stupid things while intoxicated, which luckily never landed me in jail or dead, and generally/overall not making wise choices in my life. Being gainfully employed I could keep a roof over my head and pay my bills, so I did not think I fit the profile of an addict or alcoholic despite my many high risk behaviors.

Step one does not say we admitted we had a problem; it says we admitted we were powerless over alcohol, and that our lives had become unmanageable. I went to AA meetings for many years before I could admit I was an alcoholic. In fact, I was eighteen months clean and sober before I embraced the fact that I was not just powerless (I had known that I was powerless over people, places, and things for a long time) over drugs and incapable of managing my own life, but that I was indeed an alcoholic, and that addiction in one form or other had run rampant in my life. It probably would have whether I had I ever picked up a drug or not (alcohol is a drug).

So kudos to you for admitting you have an addiction. The more you understand about the "disease," the more you will understand how it has surreptitiously but dynamically operated in your life as a self-destructive force. As a Christian it is so easy to see the enemy at work in that way. I was not Christian when I got clean and sober, but I was living in a great deal of emotional pain and cried out to God for help. I was attending AA meetings but still drinking... and also going to emotions anonymous. I had been in counselling too, but always sought to keep my drinking and drugging hidden from those I was seeking help from because I did not want to be told I had to stop what I was doing. It was my escape and I did not want to give it up!

So even though I did not think I had a problem with drugs and alcohol despite all the problems they caused in my life, and had not thought I wanted to stop? After crying out to God for help, within days I was directed to the NA program, put down the mind and mood altering substances, got clean and sober, and started working the steps as if my life depended on it, because by then, I knew it really did.
"Thank you for sharing!"

"Amen"

Mar 16, 2022
Magenta,
Thank you for being so transparent for me. I truly believe God is doing some kind of work in my heart, I feel broken! In basic training the recruit is broken down, emotionally and physically only to be built back up not as an individual but as a team. Your squad, company, flight...they are your family and source of strength. Here, in this chat, I am broken....you have given me a glimpse of hope, a candle in the night. Thank you....I do admit that I have no power over this, like the song says "there's a devil in the bottle and he wants to see me dead". One day at a time!

My prayer for today:
Dear God, as we go through our day, we ask that you give us little glimpses of your glory. Reveal your presence to us and transform us more and more into the likeness of your son, Jesus. Thank you for the promise that you always hear our prayers and for the continual work you are doing within us. In Jesus' name, amen.

Mar 16, 2022
Good Morning,
So my yesterday was maybe a minor victory for me. A lunch w/o drinks, yet two drinks at the end of the day. Not a buzzed night, not a can't remember last night. Woke w/o a headache, I know this is a better way of living. The years I have abused drinks has definitely caught up with me, man my joints hurt, gout really sucks. I know God tells us he throws our sins as far as the east is from the west and remembers them no more. However, as humans I/we carry scars from out past as a reminder of what not to do. I am studying David right now, Goliath was bigger and mightier, but, my/our God is bigger! After all HE is the creator of All we see and are. I have to remember to keep the smooth stones of the brook, Gods words in my heart for strength and refuge when I need it!

My Prayer for today:
Abba, Father, thank you for giving us a fighting chance against the giants in out lives. Thank you for ensuring human might doesn't always make right. Guide our thoughts and direct our focus when battles arise. Help us look to you for the strength we need. In Jesus' name, amen.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Magenta,
Thank you for being so transparent for me. I truly believe God is doing some kind of work in my heart, I feel broken! In basic training the recruit is broken down, emotionally and physically only to be built back up not as an individual but as a team. Your squad, company, flight...they are your family and source of strength. Here, in this chat, I am broken....you have given me a glimpse of hope, a candle in the night. Thank you....I do admit that I have no power over this, like the song says "there's a devil in the bottle and he wants to see me dead". One day at a time!

My prayer for today:
Dear God, as we go through our day, we ask that you give us little glimpses of your glory. Reveal your presence to us and transform us more and more into the likeness of your son, Jesus. Thank you for the promise that you always hear our prayers and for the continual work you are doing within us. In Jesus' name, amen.
You are welcome! It is interesting to think back on those days because so much has changed; it has been a long time!

I hope my timelines did not confuse you :unsure: I became a 12 step addict for a while LOL

Amen to your prayer :):):)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Good Morning,
So my yesterday was maybe a minor victory for me. A lunch w/o drinks, yet two drinks at the end of the day. Not a buzzed night, not a can't remember last night. Woke w/o a headache, I know this is a better way of living. The years I have abused drinks has definitely caught up with me, man my joints hurt, gout really sucks. I know God tells us he throws our sins as far as the east is from the west and remembers them no more. However, as humans I/we carry scars from out past as a reminder of what not to do. I am studying David right now, Goliath was bigger and mightier, but, my/our God is bigger! After all HE is the creator of All we see and are. I have to remember to keep the smooth stones of the brook, Gods words in my heart for strength and refuge when I need it!

My Prayer for today:
Abba, Father, thank you for giving us a fighting chance against the giants in out lives. Thank you for ensuring human might doesn't always make right. Guide our thoughts and direct our focus when battles arise. Help us look to you for the strength we need. In Jesus' name, amen.
There are many phrases, concepts, promises etc in the fellowship aside from the steps and
traditions; one phrase is, we lose the desire to lose. It is also a promise, the only promise of NA:
that an addict, any addict, can stop using drugs, lose the desire to use, and find a new way to live.

I was trying to remember that saying (lose the desire to lose) the other night, because really it was
a miraculous thing for me to lose the desire to use! And it becomes important to remember that God
is our help, and be grateful for that, and share that with others... because of my own self, I was powerless
over my addiction, as evidenced by 24+ years of using and multiple attempts to stop on my own.
I did not even believe in God when I cried out to Him for help...

It is one day at a time and one step at a time. We start where we are, and progress from there :D

Amen once again to your prayer for today (y)

Mar 16, 2022
There are many phrases, concepts, promises etc in the fellowship aside from the steps and
traditions; one phrase is, we lose the desire to lose. It is also a promise, the only promise of NA:
that an addict, any addict, can stop using drugs, lose the desire to use, and find a new way to live.

I was trying to remember that saying (lose the desire to lose) the other night, because really it was
a miraculous thing for me to lose the desire to use! And it becomes important to remember that God
is our help, and be grateful for that, and share that with others... because of my own self, I was powerless
over my addiction, as evidenced by 24+ years of using and multiple attempts to stop on my own.
I did not even believe in God when I cried out to Him for help...

It is one day at a time and one step at a time. We start where we are, and progress from there :D

Amen once again to your prayer for today (y)

I get the concept as I lost the flavor for a very expensive cigar habit.......Started that some 15 years ago, haven't had one in 3 or 4 years. Don't seem to miss them.... Once again, thank you for your encouragement.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I get the concept as I lost the flavor for a very expensive cigar habit.......Started that some 15 years ago, haven't had one in 3 or 4 years. Don't seem to miss them.... Once again, thank you for your encouragement.
You are welcome once again! "Just for today." I remember how I came to understand that one: I was very newly clean and sober, but still going to bars to sing and hang out with friends. I absolutely did not have a problem being around people drinking; there was zero temptation. But one week in, someone was like, oh, I owe you from last week, and I did not know how to say no to a toke! I felt like it would be this whole song and dance of spelling out something that could have been so much easier dealt with simply by saying, just for today, I will pass. We don't have to explain ourselves or justify our choices to others. And if we can do something for just one day, something like not smoke dope or not drink alcohol, realistically we can do it, one day at a time, for the rest of our lives. It may be best not to think long term at first if short term is still problematic. After that, I learned how to say no, and realized I had a lot of work to do around learning how to establish and maintain boundaries :)

Mar 16, 2022
Giants----what we all face in one way or another-----God be with me today I need your strength and guidance, Abba, how I love you.

Like David, we need to see past our Goliaths and realize we serve a God who can bring down our toughest foes.
It is when we are out of options that we are most ready for God's surprises.
Retreating from our Goliaths might make us feel safe in the short run, but the only way to real victory is by rushing our giants with a God saturated soul.

Abba, Father, thank you for siding with the underdog and for tilting the balance of power in our confrontations with our giants. Please guide our decisions and help us to look to you as our source of strength. Give us the confidence and courage David had when he faced Goliath. May our victories be as decisive as his. In Jesus' name, amen.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
FRIDAY MARCH 25, 2022 - GOD DOES WHAT HE PROMISES
Audio for GOD DOES WHAT HE PROMISES

How encouraging it is for us to know that God is on our side and God always does what He promises.

This I know: God is on my side! I praise God for what he has promised; yes, I praise the Lord for what he has promised. I trust in God, so why should I be afraid? What can mere mortals do to me? I will fulfill my vows to you, O God, and will offer a sacrifice of thanks for your help. For you have rescued me from death; you have kept my feet from slipping. So now I can walk in your presence, O God, in your life-giving light. (Psalm 56:9b-13 NLT)

We come into recovery because our life is unmanageable, and we are powerless to fix it. Many of us never knew that there was a God who was willing to rescue us and restore us to sanity. A wonderful part of this new way of life is the process of coming to believe in a power greater than ourselves, this discovery of a loving and faithful God who is for us, not against us.

Part of the spiritual awakening so many give witness to as they work through the 12-step program is that God was working on their behalf long before they recognized it. We’re alive today because God kept us alive for His plan and purpose. When we didn’t care about our life, God did.

While, at one point, we may have been unsure about God and what He promised, God proved Himself faithful to do all that He said. He rescued us from the slimy pit of addiction and continues to keep our feet from slipping. Every day we are coming to realize more and more what an awesome God He is and to trust and obey His moral guidance.

God doesn’t rescue us from addiction and then leave us on our own to figure things out. Through prayer and meditation, we can improve our conscious contact with Him, recognize His will for us, and receive the power we need to carry it out. We can give thanks for ongoing spiritual revelations as we continue to walk in God’s presence, in His life-giving light.

Prayer: Gracious God, Thank You that You are faithful to do all that You have promised. Thank You for all You’ve done for me, even when I didn’t recognize or give thanks for it. Help me to wholeheartedly trust You and follow your life-giving ways. Amen

©2022 Partners in Hope

O

Oblio

I've got a tear in my eye, I've got a thorn in my side
I've got an attitude that keeps on dragging me down
I've got unseen pain, that fills my heart with rain
You know it keeps me here on my knees with my face to the ground

I've got memories of how it used to be
You know the things that I trusted in nearly ended my days
And how You spoke to me that if I'd only believe
You would heal this broken heart and lead me in grace

Lord, I don't understand the working of Your hand
But I know that the promises that You made to me are true
So I'll keep seeking Your face for the rest of my days
Till my race is run and my time on this world is through

I just want You, Lord I just want You
Who am I supposed to be and what am I supposed to do
I just want You, You know I just want You
Tell me how to hear Your voice, show me how to see Your face
Teach me how to walk in Your ways...I just want You. - T.C.

Mar 16, 2022
FRIDAY MARCH 25, 2022 - GOD DOES WHAT HE PROMISES
Audio for GOD DOES WHAT HE PROMISES

How encouraging it is for us to know that God is on our side and God always does what He promises.

This I know: God is on my side! I praise God for what he has promised; yes, I praise the Lord for what he has promised. I trust in God, so why should I be afraid? What can mere mortals do to me? I will fulfill my vows to you, O God, and will offer a sacrifice of thanks for your help. For you have rescued me from death; you have kept my feet from slipping. So now I can walk in your presence, O God, in your life-giving light. (Psalm 56:9b-13 NLT)

We come into recovery because our life is unmanageable, and we are powerless to fix it. Many of us never knew that there was a God who was willing to rescue us and restore us to sanity. A wonderful part of this new way of life is the process of coming to believe in a power greater than ourselves, this discovery of a loving and faithful God who is for us, not against us.

Part of the spiritual awakening so many give witness to as they work through the 12-step program is that God was working on their behalf long before they recognized it. We’re alive today because God kept us alive for His plan and purpose. When we didn’t care about our life, God did.

While, at one point, we may have been unsure about God and what He promised, God proved Himself faithful to do all that He said. He rescued us from the slimy pit of addiction and continues to keep our feet from slipping. Every day we are coming to realize more and more what an awesome God He is and to trust and obey His moral guidance.

God doesn’t rescue us from addiction and then leave us on our own to figure things out. Through prayer and meditation, we can improve our conscious contact with Him, recognize His will for us, and receive the power we need to carry it out. We can give thanks for ongoing spiritual revelations as we continue to walk in God’s presence, in His life-giving light.

Prayer: Gracious God, Thank You that You are faithful to do all that You have promised. Thank You for all You’ve done for me, even when I didn’t recognize or give thanks for it. Help me to wholeheartedly trust You and follow your life-giving ways. Amen

©2022 Partners in Hope
So aware of his promises, some of my back ground. Grew up on a farm, 23+years in the Air Force. 1/2 a BA in pastoral ministries from Liberty University, which really means I don't have that paper saying I studied the Bible in college...lol My wife and I have been back in church now for 2 years, we have a Bible study every evening before dinner. Being in the military, the unit I was in, at multiple bases around the world was always a drinking unit. After work all the time. This was the time in the military that it was ok to be on the loading docks, everyone pitched in and enjoyed the evenings, this included the commanding officers. One of my jobs after I got out of the Air Force, my boss always had a bottle with him. Made it easy to continue all day when your boss is your supplier as well. Crazy I never fell off a roof.....So, God's promises, I see them, hind site is 20/20. I no longer work for him, he was luck and didn't die when he rolled his truck one rainy night. So, I know I cannot control this w/o a higher power, and the blessings of finding this site! Thank you for all your prayers and the encouragement that I am finding here! Have a awesome weekend!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

MONDAY, MARCH 28, 2022 - HONOURING GOD, HONOURING OTHERS
Audio for HONOURING GOD, HONOURING OTHERS

God created us to live as honourable people – honouring God, honouring others, and experiencing the joy of living as persons of integrity and honour. Living life only to please ourselves, whether in addiction or recovery, leaves us dissatisfied and vulnerable to harm. However, living life according to God’s principles, will prove to be both satisfying and purposeful.

Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. (Romans 12:10 NIV)

God wants our lives to reflect Him in us. Jesus said that anyone who has seen Him has also seen His Father. Jesus reflected His Father’s character when He went about doing good and healing everyone who was under the power of the evil one. Are we, like Jesus, willing to look towards the well-being of our family, our friends and those around us? How can we honour them today?

The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue and honor them. I will reward them with a long life and give them my salvation.” (Psalm 91:14-16 NLT)

We are called to honour God by all we are, all we have, and in all we do. Our work, our play, our eating, our sexual habits, and our finances are all areas where we can learn to honour God rather than simply live for personal gain.

God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body. Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the best part of everything you produce. So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 6:20, Proverbs 3:9, 1 Corinthians 10:31 NLT)

As we honour God and others above ourselves, God will enable us to be the person He created us to be – a person who experiences honour.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, I want to be mature and leave self-centeredness behind so I can live
in a way that honours You and others. Please give me the will and desire to do so. Amen

©2022 Partners in Hope

Mar 16, 2022
MONDAY, MARCH 28, 2022 - HONOURING GOD, HONOURING OTHERS
Audio for HONOURING GOD, HONOURING OTHERS

God created us to live as honourable people – honouring God, honouring others, and experiencing the joy of living as persons of integrity and honour. Living life only to please ourselves, whether in addiction or recovery, leaves us dissatisfied and vulnerable to harm. However, living life according to God’s principles, will prove to be both satisfying and purposeful.

Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. (Romans 12:10 NIV)

God wants our lives to reflect Him in us. Jesus said that anyone who has seen Him has also seen His Father. Jesus reflected His Father’s character when He went about doing good and healing everyone who was under the power of the evil one. Are we, like Jesus, willing to look towards the well-being of our family, our friends and those around us? How can we honour them today?

The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue and honor them. I will reward them with a long life and give them my salvation.” (Psalm 91:14-16 NLT)

We are called to honour God by all we are, all we have, and in all we do. Our work, our play, our eating, our sexual habits, and our finances are all areas where we can learn to honour God rather than simply live for personal gain.

God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body. Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the best part of everything you produce. So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 6:20, Proverbs 3:9, 1 Corinthians 10:31 NLT)

As we honour God and others above ourselves, God will enable us to be the person He created us to be – a person who experiences honour.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, I want to be mature and leave self-centeredness behind so I can live
in a way that honours You and others. Please give me the will and desire to do so. Amen

©2022 Partners in Hope

So, my weekend...wife went out of town to visit grandbaby. Alone, I thought a drink or two won't hurt. This was around 0800. I had two, all I can think of is God wacked me in the forehead "Hey big dumb head what are you doing"? I put it down, and I can remember the weekend. I know it's not a sin to be tempted, its how we respond to that temptation.

Abba, Father, thank you for the wack in the head, your strength for me to rely on, your strength to carry my through. Thank you for your mercy on my soul and the grace you so freely give. I know I am not through this Abba, I pray you keep me close in your embrace that I may always feel your strength and guidance.....Amen

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
So, my weekend...wife went out of town to visit grandbaby. Alone, I thought a drink or two won't hurt. This was around 0800. I had two, all I can think of is God wacked me in the forehead "Hey big dumb head what are you doing"? I put it down, and I can remember the weekend. I know it's not a sin to be tempted, its how we respond to that temptation.

Abba, Father, thank you for the wack in the head, your strength for me to rely on, your strength to carry my through. Thank you for your mercy on my soul and the grace you so freely give. I know I am not through this Abba, I pray you keep me close in your embrace that I may always feel your strength and guidance.....Amen
The only way to keep from returning to active addiction is not to take that first drug.
If you are like us you know that one is too many and a thousand never enough. We put
great emphasis on this, for we know that when we use drugs in any form, or substitute
one for another, we release our addiction all over again.

Thinking of alcohol as different from other drugs has caused a great many addicts
to relapse. Before we came to NA, many of us viewed alcohol separately, but we
cannot afford to be confused about this. Alcohol is a drug. We are people with the
disease of addiction who must abstain from all drugs in order to recover.

From Who, What, How, and Why (<= link :D)

Good thing we operate on the principle of progress, not perfection :)

Do you have a sponsor?

Mar 16, 2022
The only way to keep from returning to active addiction is not to take that first drug.
If you are like us you know that one is too many and a thousand never enough. We put
great emphasis on this, for we know that when we use drugs in any form, or substitute
one for another, we release our addiction all over again.

Thinking of alcohol as different from other drugs has caused a great many addicts
to relapse. Before we came to NA, many of us viewed alcohol separately, but we
cannot afford to be confused about this. Alcohol is a drug. We are people with the
disease of addiction who must abstain from all drugs in order to recover.

From Who, What, How, and Why (<= link :D)

Good thing we operate on the principle of progress, not perfection :)

Do you have a sponsor?

At this point not a physical sponsor.
I watched by brother indulge his addictions, both alcohol and drugs. My sister never went anywhere w/o her box of white zinfandel.
I understand by biological father was also a very heave drinker. All three has passed on...I am sure their addictions had something to do with their passing, brother hit by a truck on his bike, sister tired of C-Pap stopped using it, bio-dad - not sure? I do know that it had an affect, slowing reflexes, blinding thoughts, blurring reality.....

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
At this point not a physical sponsor.
I watched by brother indulge his addictions, both alcohol and drugs. My sister never went anywhere w/o her box of white zinfandel.
I understand by biological father was also a very heave drinker. All three has passed on...I am sure their addictions had something to do with their passing, brother hit by a truck on his bike, sister tired of C-Pap stopped using it, bio-dad - not sure? I do know that it had an affect, slowing reflexes, blinding thoughts, blurring reality.....
I am sorry to hear of the demise of your family members. One thing to keep in mind is that aside from the obviously increasing deleterious effects indulging in mind and mood altering substances has on one's state of mind and body, using drugs (including alcohol) is just a symptom of the disease and not the underlying cause. For many years it was believed that addiction was simply a choice... that people decide of their own volition to use a substance. It may certainly start out that way, but escalates beyond that for some. For us. Addiction is also thought to have a genetic component for some. Scientists and researchers are finding that a portion of the population is prone to addiction and that can be triggered by trauma or by other causes that remain unknown. So, while members of NA/AA may find the program because of issues with drug/alcohol abuse, they learn that the problem is really something else that the use of drugs and alcohol helps to mask. Part of the work of doing the steps helps us uncover what these issues are, and come to terms with them, so that we no longer require drugs and alcohol as a coping mechanism and/or escape from the pain these issues cause.

One thing I used to hear people say at meetings was, play the tape to the end. We know where drinking and drugging takes us. Do we really want to end up there? One drink can set off a chain reaction that can ruin the lives of many people, including your own. The NA literature states, We are people in the grip of a continuing and progressive illness whose ends are always the same: jails, institutions, and death. Of course, that means without the help of God, our ends are the same. I am fortunate not to have killed anyone including myself while I was in active addiction... and I certainly thank God for that :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
THURSDAY, MARCH 31, 2022 - FOCUSED HATRED
Audio for FOCUSED HATRED

To hate is to have an intense dislike for something or someone. We often describe it as a
feeling of being disgusted. We say we “can’t stand” something. Believe it or not, hating
can be a good thing, depending on what we are choosing to hate. God's plan is for us to
focus our hatred on the right things. For example, we are to love God and hate evil.

Let those who love the Lord hate evil. He guards the lives of those who are faithful
to him. He saves them from the power of sinful people. (Psalm 97:10 NIRV)

When we turn our will and our lives over to the care of God and humbly ask Him to remove our
shortcomings there should be a change in how we view things and how we react to people and
circumstances. We begin to hate the things God hates and love the things God loves.

There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes,

a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a person
who stirs up conflict in the community. (Proverbs 6:16-19 NIRV)

We are to love people – even our enemies. We don't have to love the things they do,
but we are called to love them. We are warned over and over by God how hatred of
people and holding resentment and bitterness towards them can destroy us.

"Hate the sin but love the sinner."

Love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. Bless those who call down curses on you and pray for those who treat you badly. Anyone who hates their brother or sister is a murderer and you know that no murderer has eternal life. (Luke 6:27-28, 1 John 3:15 NIRV)

God teaches us what to love and what to hate. Let’s live in His wisdom today.

Prayer: Gracious God, teach me to love what You love and hate what You hate. I want
to live with You and others in the light of Your love. I want no part ofwhat the devil
tries to tempt me with. Help me to establish safe boundaries as I live in forgiveness.
Amen

©2022 Partners in Hope