Crucifixion on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Honest

Feb 5, 2023
Amen... Jesus said three days.. it was no doubt 3 days. The Saturday Sabbath ended at sundown as all Jewish days. Jesus rose on the first day of the week. He was in the grave Three Days! Sorry but for me this was the answer that I had wondered about for a very long time. God always makes sense. Man doesn't. Opens up so many other conversations 😃

Honest

Feb 5, 2023
There was a Thursday Sabbath. The reason they were focused on burying Our Lord before Sundown. A special Sabbath after the Passover every year. If I am wrong ... Someone please let me know.

MessengerofTruth

Dec 21, 2022
The Jewish day ends when the sun goes down
I understand that. I still can't count three days and three nights. I have friends that keep the Lunar Sabbath and they say that if you keep the months and days according to the moon that it makes sense and Jesus is indeed in the earth for three days and three nights. They showed me and it made sense when they showed me but I have not found others that can explain it the way they did and wondered if you could.

MessengerofTruth

Dec 21, 2022
There was a Thursday Sabbath. The reason they were focused on burying Our Lord before Sundown. A special Sabbath after the Passover every year. If I am wrong ... Someone please let me know.
I'm sorry, I responded before I saw this post.

Honest

Feb 5, 2023
I am not trying to be argumentative. But I have to add: Would Jesus do his greatest work on a Sabbath?
I have to believe he rose after sundown on the 3rd day. He said he would be in the belly of the earth 3 days. Thank you so much for letting me share. My faith was so lifted up when I learned this.😁

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017
Yep - it's an old debate - it may be worth considering the following:

People are taking this way too literally (kind of like the whole '40 days and 40 nights' thing). Like 40 days and 40 nights, 3 days and 3 nights is an idiomatic expression in Hebrew. Common knowledge to anyone living at the time, but not so much today.

To paraphrase from John Lightfoot in his A Commentary on the New Testament from the Talmud and Hebraica….

The Jerusalem Talmud quotes rabbi Eleazar ben Azariah, who lived around A.D. 100, as saying: “A day and night are an Onah [‘a
portion of time’] and the portion of an Onah is as the whole of it” (from Jerusalem Talmud: Shabbath ix. 3).

Azariah indicated that a portion of a twenty-four hour period could be considered the same “as the whole of it.” Thus, in Jesus’ time
He would have been correct in teaching that His burial would last “ three days and three nights,” even though it was not three
complete 24-hour periods.

I think you can also find examples of this cultural chronological usage in the Bible:

In Genesis 42:17 Joseph incarcerated his brothers for three days. Then, in verse 18, he spoke to them on the third day, and from the
context it seems that he released them on that same day—i.e., the third day.

When Israel asked King Rehoboam to lighten their burdens, he wanted time to contemplate their request, so he instructed
Jeroboam and the people of Israel to return “after three days” (2 Chronicles 10:5). Verse 12 says that Jeroboam and the people of
Israel came to Rehoboam “on the third day, as the king had directed, saying, ‘ Come back to me the third day’ ” (emp. added).
Fascinating, is it not, that even though Rehoboam instructed his people to return “after three days,” they understood this to mean
“on the third day.”

In 1 Samuel 30:12,13, the phrases “three days and three nights” and “three days” are used interchangeably.

When Queen Esther was about to risk her life by going before the king uninvited, she instructed her fellow Jews to follow her
example by not eating “for three days, night or day” (Esther 4:16). The text goes on to tell us that Esther went in unto the king “on
the third day”

According to the Gospel of Matthew, the chief priests and Pharisees even said to Pilate the day after Jesus was crucified: “Sir, we
remember, while He was still alive, how that deceiver said, ‘ After three days I will rise.’ Therefore command that the tomb be made
secure until the third day” (Matthew 27:63-64). The phrase “after three days” must have been equivalent to “the third day,” else surely
the Pharisees would have asked for a guard of soldiers until the fourth day.

Any period of three consecutive days falls into the idiom “three days and three nights” (the 3 nights here just indicate a continuum of time – i.e. three consecutive days). The Jonah story is perhaps one of the best known examples of its usage. With respect the to crucifixion narrative, Friday afternoon to Sunday morning would be considered three consecutive days, or to use the Hebrew idiom, "three days and three nights".

MessengerofTruth

Dec 21, 2022
I am not trying to be argumentative. But I have to add: Would Jesus do his greatest work on a Sabbath?
I have to believe he rose after sundown on the 3rd day. He said he would be in the belly of the earth 3 days. Thank you so much for letting me share. My faith was so lifted up when I learned this.😁
I don't see you as argumentative at all.

Hope I don't come across like that.

I am trying to understand this according to what I have heard. I want truth. :)

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
You do realize that the Jewish nation had MANY sabbaths, including the Saturday sabbaths.
I read somewhere, that there historically was a sabbath on that Thursday.... I'd have to go look it up. That would explain away any confusion, if true.
It would sort of render "Good Friday" obsolete, though.... :cool:
"Good Friday" is "just another" Catholic invention to compress three days and three nights into a day and a half. Jesus was killed on Wednesday, and buried on Thursday (Sundown Wednesday), and rose on Sunday (after sundown Saturday), so if we celebrate anything it should be "Good Wednesday".

Honest

Feb 5, 2023
"Good Friday" is "just another" Catholic invention to compress three days and three nights into a day and a half. Jesus was killed on Wednesday, and buried on Thursday (Sundown Wednesday), and rose on Sunday (after sundown Saturday), so if we celebrate anything it should be "Good Wednesday".

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
The physical hours of Day and Night were well-defined in the very beginning.

Gen 1:4-5 . . God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the
light Day, and the darkness he called Night.

Gen 1:14 . . And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the
heaven to divide the Day from the Night

Gen 1:16 . .And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the
Day, and the lesser light to rule the Night.

Gen 1:17-18 . . And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give
light upon the Earth, and to rule over the Day and over the Night, and to
divide the light from the darkness.

FAQ: Why bother establishing the physical limits of Day and Night?

REPLY: It's necessary that we do so because Jewish holy days begin and end
at sundown; resulting in a 24-hour calendar day that too many people have
allowed to blur the distinction between Day and Night.

* The final authority on matters of Day and Night is the Lord himself. He was
actually living in Israel during crucifixion week and would certainly know
about their hours better than any of us 2,000 years after the fact. The thing is:
when he was here, Days were, at the most, only 12 hours apiece.

John 11:9-10 . . Are there not twelve hours in the Day? If anyone walks in
the Day, he does not stumble, because he sees the light of this world. But if
anyone walks in the Night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him.

This world's light is of course the Sun as per Gen 1:14-18. So then, when
Jesus was here; day was when the sun is up and night was when the sun is
down; meaning of course that the three days and three nights of Matt 12:40
indicate three times when the sun was up, and three times when the sun
was down; i.e. relative to Christ's crucifixion and resurrection: days began
with sunrise and nights began with sundown.

NOTE: Days divided into twelve equal periods of sunlight were regulated by
what's known as temporal hours; which vary in length in accordance with
the time of year. There are times of the year at Jerusalem's latitude when
this world's light consists of less than 12 normal hours of sun, and
sometimes more; but when Jesus was here; the official number of hours was
always twelve regardless.

I don't exactly know why the Jews of that era divided their Days into twelve
equal periods of sunlight regardless of the seasons, but I suspect it was just
a convenient way to operate the government and conduct civil affairs;
including the Temple's activities (e.g. the daily morning and evening
sacrifices)
_

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
There is a preponderance of textual evidence indicating that Jesus Christ's
crucified dead body was restored to life during the third day rather than later
after the whole day was over and done with.

» Matt 17:22-23
» Mark 9:31
» Luke 9:22
» Luke 24:5-8
» Luke 24:21-23
» Luke 24:46
» Acts 10:40
» 1Cor 15:4

Ergo: Jesus wasn't deceased a total of 72 hours; it was closer to 60.
_

Dec 21, 2020
Ergo: Jesus wasn't deceased a total of 72 hours; it was closer to 60.
60 hours is not three days and three nights. He was buried late Wednesday and was resurrected late Saturday. He appeared to the women, and later to the others, on Sunday.

Oct 28, 2022
60 hours is not three days and three nights. He was buried late Wednesday and was resurrected late Saturday. He appeared to the women, and later to the others, on Sunday.
How many hours are there in a standard “day”, wherein there is both “evening”, “night” [dark] followed by “morning”, “day” [light]?

John 11:9 KJB - Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.​
John 11:01 KJB - But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.​

Jesus said that there are normally “twelve hours” in the standard “day” [“the light”, the “sun”] time, which then means, automatically, that there are “twelve hours”, also, for the “night” time, as per God's very character, whose ways are “equal”, balanced [Leviticus 19:36; Job 6:2, 31:6, 32:10; Psalms 62:9; Proverbs 11:1, 16:11, 20:23; Isaiah 40:12,15, 46:6; Ezekiel 5:1, 45:10; Daniel 5:27; Hosea 12:7; Amos 8:5; Micah 6:11; Revelation 6:5 KJB]:

Ezekiel 18:25 KJB - Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Hear now, O house of Israel; Is not my way equal? are not your ways unequal?​
Ezekiel 18:29 KJB - Yet saith the house of Israel, The way of the Lord is not equal. O house of Israel, are not my ways equal? are not your ways unequal?​

This “division” [for God rightly divides [2 Timothy 2:15 KJB]] of “night” and “day” times into “twelve hours” each, was from the beginning, for God separated the “light” from the “darkness” in these two “equal” parts:
Genesis 1:3 KJB - And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.​
Genesis 1:4 KJB - And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.​
Genesis 1:5 KJB - And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.​

Thus there are 24 hours [even as there are 12 Patriarchal rulers in the OT, the time of Shadows/Types [Moon, Night], 12 Apostles in the NT, the time of the Day Star/Antitype [Sun, Day], and also there are 24 Elders upon their Thrones in the 3rd Heaven, Paradise – Heavenly Eden, itself] in a “day”, beginning with evening followed by morning.

Side note: When earthly seasons would come, this would affect the division of night and day, and thus the hours would fluctuate between summer and winter, though still be in balance of 24 hrs.

Thus the Maximum Time that the “day and night” portion of a single day [without Divine intervention] can be, is 24 hrs, and so the Maximum Time that the phrase “three days and three nights” could be, is 72 hours:

Night - 12 Hours
Day - 12 Hours
Night - 12 Hours
Day - 12 Hours
Night - 12 Hours
Day - 12 Hours​
Total = 72 Hours​

However, the Scripture [KJB] also includes mere portions of any given part of “day” or “night” time to count, inclusively, as a “day”. See: Genesis 7:4,10, 17:12, 42:17-19; 2 Chronicles 10:5,12; Esther 4:16, 5:1; Luke 1:59, 2:21; Acts 10:3-30 KJB, etc.

As a for instance, circumcision - a male child could be born in the beginning, middle or nearing the end of any given day, and it would still be counted as the first day, unto his eighth day to be circumcised:

Genesis 17:12 KJB - And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.​
Luke 1:59 KJB - And it came to pass, that on the eighth day they came to circumcise the child; and they called him Zacharias, after the name of his father.​
Luke 2:21 KJB - And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb.​

Other instances (Genesis 7:4,10, 42:17-19; Exodus 24:18, 34:28; Deuteronomy 9:9,11,18,25, 10:10; 1 Samuel 30:12; 1 Kings 19:8; Job 2:13; 2 Chronicles 10:5,12; Esther 4:16, 5:1; Matthew 4:2; Mark 1:13; Luke 4:2; Acts 10:4-30.

Day and Night, see (Genesis 8:22; Exodus 13:21; Leviticus 8:35; Deuteronomy 28:66; Joshua 1:8; 1 Kings 8:59; 1 Chronicles 9:33; 2 Chronicles 6:20; Nehemiah 1:6, 4:9; Job 26:10; Psalms 1:2, 32:3-4, 42:3, 55:10, 88:1; Jeremiah 9:1, 16:13, 33:20,25; Lamentations 2:18; Luke 18:7; Acts 9:24, 26:7; Revelation 4:8, 7:15, 12:10, 20:10.

Night and Day, see (1 Samuel 25:16; 1 Kings 8:29; Isaiah 27:3; Jeremiah 14:17; Mark 4:27, 5:5; Luke 2:37; Acts 20:31; 1 Thessalonians 2:9, 3:8,10; 1 Timothy 5:5; 2 Timothy 1:3

The Minimum time then for a single “day and night” could then be any portion of that “day” and any portion of that “night”, thus even a measurement of mere minutes. Thus any could count from 1 minute to Sunset, and 1 minute after Sunset, and still accurately represent the singular phrase “day and night” in a given context.

The phrase then does not have to be the Maximum, nor of the Minimum, but could include anywhere at either end and in between.

Context will always determine for us how to proceed in determining whether we need to understand the Maximum, the Minimum or somewhere in between them.

We also know that we are not merely dealing with a single “day and night”, but rather “three days and three nights”.

This means that the Maximum amount of time can only be 72 hrs, being consecutive in time due to context, but that the Minimum amount of time can be approximately 48 hrs and 2 minutes, or even mere seconds in technicality or if under Rabbinical time - when the 3rd star visibly appears. See the inclusive reckoning:
Night - 1 minute before daylight, sunrise, etc
Day - 12 hours
Night - 12 hours
Day - 12 hours
Night - 12 hours
Day - 1 minute after daylight, sunrise, etc

Dec 21, 2020
How many hours are there in a standard “day”, wherein there is both “evening”, “night” [dark] followed by “morning”, “day” [light]?

John 11:9 KJB - Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.​
John 11:01 KJB - But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.​

Jesus said that there are normally “twelve hours” in the standard “day” [“the light”, the “sun”] time, which then means, automatically, that there are “twelve hours”, also, for the “night” time, as per God's very character, whose ways are “equal”, balanced [Leviticus 19:36; Job 6:2, 31:6, 32:10; Psalms 62:9; Proverbs 11:1, 16:11, 20:23; Isaiah 40:12,15, 46:6; Ezekiel 5:1, 45:10; Daniel 5:27; Hosea 12:7; Amos 8:5; Micah 6:11; Revelation 6:5 KJB]:

Ezekiel 18:25 KJB - Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Hear now, O house of Israel; Is not my way equal? are not your ways unequal?​
Ezekiel 18:29 KJB - Yet saith the house of Israel, The way of the Lord is not equal. O house of Israel, are not my ways equal? are not your ways unequal?​

This “division” [for God rightly divides [2 Timothy 2:15 KJB]] of “night” and “day” times into “twelve hours” each, was from the beginning, for God separated the “light” from the “darkness” in these two “equal” parts:
Genesis 1:3 KJB - And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.​
Genesis 1:4 KJB - And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.​
Genesis 1:5 KJB - And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.​

Thus there are 24 hours [even as there are 12 Patriarchal rulers in the OT, the time of Shadows/Types [Moon, Night], 12 Apostles in the NT, the time of the Day Star/Antitype [Sun, Day], and also there are 24 Elders upon their Thrones in the 3rd Heaven, Paradise – Heavenly Eden, itself] in a “day”, beginning with evening followed by morning.

Side note: When earthly seasons would come, this would affect the division of night and day, and thus the hours would fluctuate between summer and winter, though still be in balance of 24 hrs.

Thus the Maximum Time that the “day and night” portion of a single day [without Divine intervention] can be, is 24 hrs, and so the Maximum Time that the phrase “three days and three nights” could be, is 72 hours:

Night - 12 Hours​
Day - 12 Hours​
Night - 12 Hours​
Day - 12 Hours​
Night - 12 Hours​
Day - 12 Hours​
Total = 72 Hours​

However, the Scripture [KJB] also includes mere portions of any given part of “day” or “night” time to count, inclusively, as a “day”. See: Genesis 7:4,10, 17:12, 42:17-19; 2 Chronicles 10:5,12; Esther 4:16, 5:1; Luke 1:59, 2:21; Acts 10:3-30 KJB, etc.

As a for instance, circumcision - a male child could be born in the beginning, middle or nearing the end of any given day, and it would still be counted as the first day, unto his eighth day to be circumcised:

Genesis 17:12 KJB - And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.​
Luke 1:59 KJB - And it came to pass, that on the eighth day they came to circumcise the child; and they called him Zacharias, after the name of his father.​
Luke 2:21 KJB - And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb.​

Other instances (Genesis 7:4,10, 42:17-19; Exodus 24:18, 34:28; Deuteronomy 9:9,11,18,25, 10:10; 1 Samuel 30:12; 1 Kings 19:8; Job 2:13; 2 Chronicles 10:5,12; Esther 4:16, 5:1; Matthew 4:2; Mark 1:13; Luke 4:2; Acts 10:4-30.

Day and Night, see (Genesis 8:22; Exodus 13:21; Leviticus 8:35; Deuteronomy 28:66; Joshua 1:8; 1 Kings 8:59; 1 Chronicles 9:33; 2 Chronicles 6:20; Nehemiah 1:6, 4:9; Job 26:10; Psalms 1:2, 32:3-4, 42:3, 55:10, 88:1; Jeremiah 9:1, 16:13, 33:20,25; Lamentations 2:18; Luke 18:7; Acts 9:24, 26:7; Revelation 4:8, 7:15, 12:10, 20:10.

Night and Day, see (1 Samuel 25:16; 1 Kings 8:29; Isaiah 27:3; Jeremiah 14:17; Mark 4:27, 5:5; Luke 2:37; Acts 20:31; 1 Thessalonians 2:9, 3:8,10; 1 Timothy 5:5; 2 Timothy 1:3

The Minimum time then for a single “day and night” could then be any portion of that “day” and any portion of that “night”, thus even a measurement of mere minutes. Thus any could count from 1 minute to Sunset, and 1 minute after Sunset, and still accurately represent the singular phrase “day and night” in a given context.

The phrase then does not have to be the Maximum, nor of the Minimum, but could include anywhere at either end and in between.

Context will always determine for us how to proceed in determining whether we need to understand the Maximum, the Minimum or somewhere in between them.

We also know that we are not merely dealing with a single “day and night”, but rather “three days and three nights”.

This means that the Maximum amount of time can only be 72 hrs, being consecutive in time due to context, but that the Minimum amount of time can be approximately 48 hrs and 2 minutes, or even mere seconds in technicality or if under Rabbinical time - when the 3rd star visibly appears. See the inclusive reckoning:
Night - 1 minute before daylight, sunrise, etc
Day - 12 hours
Night - 12 hours
Day - 12 hours
Night - 12 hours
Day - 1 minute after daylight, sunrise, etc
TL,DNR, plus, you’re repeating yourself.

Three days and three nights means three days and three nights. There is no need to go into long a “explanation” to try and fit three days and three nights between Friday evening and Sunday morning. There are better ways to solve the problem.

Oct 28, 2022
There are better ways to solve the problem.
Yes, I see how you apparently "solved the problem". You ignored the evidence provided. Well, that is one way to solve it, though it is an erroneous way, but it is indeed a way to 'solve' an issue. If that is how you solve all your dillemma, it might explain your current position in error, but it is your prerogative to continue to 'TL,DNR". When God judges you based upon your own rule, well, He will do the same to you about your present excuses.

Dec 21, 2020
Yes, I see how you apparently "solved the problem". You ignored the evidence provided. Well, that is one way to solve it, though it is an erroneous way, but it is indeed a way to 'solve' an issue. If that is how you solve all your dillemma, it might explain your current position in error, but it is your prerogative to continue to 'TL,DNR". When God judges you based upon your own rule, well, He will do the same to you about your present excuses.
Please stop thinking you speak for God.

I read your dissertation the first time you posted it. It was wrong then too. Also, your declaration that there were no non-Saturday Sabbaths is false. And while I'm at it, Jesus Christ isn't Michael.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
60 hours is not three days and three nights.

That's because Jesus' crucified dead body was restored to life during the
third day rather than after the third day was completely over.

» Matt 17:22-23
» Mark 9:31
» Luke 9:22
» Luke 24:5-8
» Luke 24:21-23
» Luke 24:463
» Acts 10:40
» 1Cor 15:4
_

Oct 28, 2022
your declaration that there were no non-Saturday Sabbaths is false
I never stated any such thing. Re-read what I stated specifically. If this is how you read my responses, it is no wonder that you continue in your error.