Crucifixion on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Roman-calendar Wednesday. On Pascha at exactly the moment the national lamb is slaughtered.
Risen before dawn on Firstfruits - the day after sabbath
Really the problem is that we are always missing about half a day on Firstfruits.

PASSOVER 14th Nisan: CRUXIFIXION: darkness from 12 noon to 3PM. Death then burial just before sundown.
DAY 1 ?: Evening/Morning 15th Nisan (full night/day)
DAY 2 ?: Evening/Morning 16th Nisan (weekly Sabbath - full night/day)
DAY 3 ?: Evening/just a teensy tiny bit of morning 17th Nisan (Feast of FF)

No matter which way you slice it.....you really cannot get three ENTIRE days/nights in the belly of the earth.
OR you can move backwards a day and get MORE than exactly three days and nights.

Which makes a Friday crucifixion just as plausible given the rule of "fractions of days = full day".

Anyways......I am awfully tired and my synapses are out of juice, so this may or may not make sense :geek:
I will look at it with a fresh set of eyes and recharged brain tomorrow. But take a look and check my work please.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Mark 14:12 On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, when the Passover lamb was to be
sacrificed, Jesus’ disciples asked Him, “Where do You want us to prepare for You to eat the Passover?”

Matthew 26:18 He answered, “Go into the city to a certain man and tell him that the
Teacher says, ‘My time is near. I will keep the Passover with My disciples at your house.’ ”

Luke 22:15 And He said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before My suffering."

One page I looked at gave this timeline:

(1) After sunset, at the beginning of the 14 Nisan, the day of the Passover, Jesus sent
His disciples to prepare the Passover for them (Matthew 26:17-19, Luke 22:7-8).

(2) About 9 p.m. they sat down to feet washing and the Passover supper,
followed by the "Lord's supper" and singing (Matthew 26:30, Mark 14:26).

(3) About midnight they went out to the mount of Olives (Mark 14:26; Luke 22:39).

(4) There Jesus prayed until his arrest, about 2.a.m.

(5) After 6 a.m. He was sent to Pilate (Mark 15:1).

(6) At about 8 a.m., after six hours of trial, he was turned over to be crucified (Mark 15:15, John 19:14, 19:16).

(7) He was crucified at about 9.a.m., which is the third hour of the day in Jewish time (Mark 15:25).

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Well.....the thing is that He would have to rise slightly BEFORE sunset (not "after dusk") so as not to add a fraction of another evening.
But that scenario you posted might work. I have been jumping from Wednesday to Thursday to Friday and back again for years lol.

I just happen to think that the resurrection happened in the final evening before MM arrived if for no other reason than that was when all of the action was taking place. But there is no reason that the resurrection could not occur earlier, as the stone was rolled away for the singular reason of allowing the disciples to look into the tomb.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I have been jumping from Wednesday to Thursday to Friday and back again for years lol.
i love honesty so much lol

Risen on Roman calendar Sunday, the 8th day which is also the first, has been clear to me as long as i can remember.
my pastor teaches wednesday crucifixion and i find that i cannot discover an argument against his position ((something i try to do against any pastor - good practice to be skeptical of all humans!!)) .

i became convinced: it makes the most sense - and honestly, rising at either midnight or 3am makes the most sense to me. in either case, Firstfruits, which is specifically defined as the day after sabbath.

@SDA

Sorry.
Not really: fake sorry.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Roman-calendar Wednesday. On Pascha at exactly the moment the national lamb is slaughtered.
Risen before dawn on Firstfruits - the day after sabbath
There is more than one sabbath during the days of Pascha

😉
There is more than one sabbath during the days of Pascha

😉
Yes but it's a reference to the Passover is the thing there are many Sabbaths in the law but one Passover and one day of preparation for the Passover so it's isn't really a question

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Crucifixion on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday?

He won the victory for us a long time ago. (y)

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
You went WAAAAYYYYY out of your way to find potential alternate meaning(s) for the phrase so you can stick with a Friday-Sunday crucifixion.
I agree, waaaayy too much to be succinc as to the meaning. I recently looked this up Strong's Greek 2588 (kardia) and found the verse exampled in the last entry: (copy and pasted as follows)

3. used of the middle or central or inmost part of anything, even though inanimate: τῆς γῆς (which some understand of Hades, others of the sepulchre), Matthew 12:40 (τῆς θαλάσσης, Jonah 2:4 for לֵב; and for the same ἐν μέσῳ θαλάσσης, Exodus 15:8, 19; add Baruch 6: (Epistle Jer.) ; τῆς κλεψυδρας, Aristotle, probl. 16, 8 (others, κώδια)). Cf. Beck, Biblical Seelenlehre, chapter iii. § 20ff, p. 64ff; Delitzsch, Biblical Psychologie (Leipz. 1861) iv. § 12, p. 248ff (also in Herzog 2, vi. 57ff); Oehler in Herzog vi., p. 15ff (also in his O. T. Theol. (edited by Day) § 71); Wittichen in Schenkel iii. 71f.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Way back in the decade of the 1970s a fellow welder on the waterfront
asked me how to get three nights between Friday afternoon and Sunday
morning. That was very humiliating.
_

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
i love honesty so much lol

Risen on Roman calendar Sunday, the 8th day which is also the first, has been clear to me as long as i can remember.
my pastor teaches wednesday crucifixion and i find that i cannot discover an argument against his position ((something i try to do against any pastor - good practice to be skeptical of all humans!!)) .

i became convinced: it makes the most sense - and honestly, rising at either midnight or 3am makes the most sense to me. in either case, Firstfruits, which is specifically defined as the day after sabbath.

@SDA

Sorry.
Not really: fake sorry.
Right. Passover, the regular Saturday sabbath and the Feast of Firstfruits are the hard data points.
There is significant maneuvering room withing those parameters depending on your theory.
Actually, I am not particularly dogmatic on the matter one way or another, as the Bible is silent
on the more evasive enigmatic vicissitudes.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
I found some info about the Fast of the Firstborn. It is tradition that if the Passover happened to coincide with the weekly sabbath, the Fast of the Firstborn was observed the previous day because there is a restriction against fasting on the sabbath. Might this be of some help in the figuring?

Jesus said, "I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before My suffering. For I tell you I will not eat it again until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God (Luke 22:15-6)." Then He took the wine and the bread and served it to His disciples. Does this strike anyone else as Him refrained from eating it?

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Jesus said, "I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before My
suffering. For I tell you I will not eat it again until it is fulfilled in the
kingdom of God" (Luke 22:15-6)
_

4winds

Dec 7, 2022
The truth is Yeshua died and was raised on the 3rd day for our justification. But on what day of several different calendars, is the variable question?
For instance, was it on a perpetual 7-day week calendar or a lunar "week" based on the 1/4 phases of the moon? Which would have begun on the 1st sunrise after the black moon lunar conjunction and not at sunset as with the new crescent moon-based calendar. The fact that there are 2 celebrated Passovers in a row. Yes-2 in the month Yeshua died, one on either side of the crucifixion event shows such a situation of multiple calendars existed at the time of Messiah. I would think that Yeshua and His disciples followed the most Biblical calendar even if more than one was sanctioned by Heaven and or by the Law or the Sanhedrin.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Matthew 12:40 - For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
I believe Jesus died on wednesday and was buried just before sundown wednesday.. Yes Jesus Jesus did spend the prophecised time in the earth..

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
crucified on Wednesday which was the preparation of the Passover when the Passover Lamb was sacrificed.
died and was entombed before Sunset on Wednesday. Passover started after Sunset which is the beginning of Thursday.
Apostles and followers observed the Passover which is a Sabbath and rested on Thursday. No selling or buying on the Passover.
Women bought spices for the body on Friday as the Gospels say. They could not buy spices on Thursday because of the Passover or on Saturday during the weekly Sabbath. They planned to go to the tomb on Sunday with the spices.
He rose after Sunset on Saturday which counts as Sunday or the first day of the week. Psalms say He rose during the night.
He was in the tomb Wednesday after sunset which was the first night, Thursday during the day which was the first day, Thursday during the night which was the second night, Friday during the day which was the second day, Friday during the night which was the third night, Saturday during the day which was the third day. Was raised after Sunset on Saturday which is the first day of the week.
The women buying the spices could only have been done on Friday which was the only day between the Passover Sabbath and weekly Saturday Sabbath that week. That proves He was crucified on Wednesday, the preparation of the Passover.
The Passover is not a Sabbath.. Because on the Passover day they must execute a lamb.. they must work.. The day after Passover which is the first day of unleavened bread is a Sabbath and this is why Jesus was quickly put into the tomb before the start of the day (Wednesday sunset..) because it was a curse for a body to hang on the sabbath.. The Jews with their traditions had by the times of Jesus got the timing of the Passover wrong.. Jesus and His disciples celebrated Passover at the correct time on Tuesday night which was the start of the day of Passover.. Just as the first Jews killed the lamb and ate it that night,, Remember the Biblical day is first night then day.. So Jesus ate the Passover at night and then was executed on the same day of Passover..

In the following passage on the first and last days of unleavened bread are declared Holy Convocations where no work was to be done..

(Leviticus 23:4-7) "¶ These are the feasts of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons. {5} In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD’S Passover. {6} And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread. {7} In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein."

Grace911

Nov 11, 2018
Mat 27:45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour.
Mat 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Converting the 6th hour to a particular time that we westerners understand would be noon/midday/12 pm
Therefore the 9th hour would be 3 pm. Christ was hung on the tree at 9 am or 3rd hour.

2Corinthians 13:1 This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

Jesus said:

Mat_12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
Mat_16:4 A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. And he left them, and departed.
Luk_11:29 And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet.
Luk_11:30 For as Jonas was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation.

Below is three witnesses showing Wednesday, April 25, 31AD is consistantly the same - On a Wednesday.

When you place Jesus in the grave/tomb before sundown Wednesday, you get Night #1. At Sunrise on Thursday, you get Day #1. Thursday at sundown begins Night #2. At Sunrise Friday, you get Day #2. At sundown Friday begins Night #3. At sunrise on Saturday you get Day #3. Many Christians have not read Leviticus 23 to see the following 3 things. 1) Friday at sundown is the beginning of the 7th day/Sabbath. 2) The 14th day of the first month is Passover. 3) The 15th day of the first month is a High Holy Day. That means this:

Joh_19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
Joh_19:32 Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him.
Joh_19:33 But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs:

Lev 23:5 In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD'S passover.
Lev 23:6 And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread.
Lev 23:7 In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.

The 15th day of the first month begins at sundown April 25, 31 AD, which is also called a High Sabbath, means it lands outside of the 7th day/Sabbath. So when the women prepared ointment for Jesus' body, they could not prepare on Thursday, but could prepare the ointments on Friday, and then could not go to the tomb until after the weekly Sabbath/7th day was over. So they went early, before sunlight on Sunday, and found His tomb empty. He had risen at the end of the weekly Sabbath, that is Saturday before sundown. 3 Days and 3 Nights.

I use an app on my computer called "Stellarium". I have viewed all of the possible dates and believe that Wednesday April 25, 31 AD is the correct date. But is there a second witness? Yes, utilizing the Stellarium program, setting the location to Jerusalem, Israel. Notice in the screenshot 31AD and 4/25. The full moon is a partial solar eclipse. Choose any other possible date for Christ's crucifixion and you will not find a solar eclipse happening from noon to 3 pm.

42531AD.png The following image is from QuickPhase Pro and the Wednesday moon for April 25, 31 AD. This data is based on NASA.
42531ADmoon.png

A third witness (meaning agrees with the two above) is Hillel II calendar. 42531ADhillel.png

E

evyaniy

Mat 27:45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour.
Mat 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Converting the 6th hour to a particular time that we westerners understand would be noon/midday/12 pm
Therefore the 9th hour would be 3 pm. Christ was hung on the tree at 9 am or 3rd hour.

2Corinthians 13:1 This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

Jesus said:

Mat_12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
Mat_16:4 A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. And he left them, and departed.
Luk_11:29 And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet.
Luk_11:30 For as Jonas was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation.

Below is three witnesses showing Wednesday, April 25, 31AD is consistantly the same - On a Wednesday.

When you place Jesus in the grave/tomb before sundown Wednesday, you get Night #1. At Sunrise on Thursday, you get Day #1. Thursday at sundown begins Night #2. At Sunrise Friday, you get Day #2. At sundown Friday begins Night #3. At sunrise on Saturday you get Day #3. Many Christians have not read Leviticus 23 to see the following 3 things. 1) Friday at sundown is the beginning of the 7th day/Sabbath. 2) The 14th day of the first month is Passover. 3) The 15th day of the first month is a High Holy Day. That means this:

Joh_19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
Joh_19:32 Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him.
Joh_19:33 But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs:

Lev 23:5 In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD'S passover.
Lev 23:6 And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread.
Lev 23:7 In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.

The 15th day of the first month begins at sundown April 25, 31 AD, which is also called a High Sabbath, means it lands outside of the 7th day/Sabbath. So when the women prepared ointment for Jesus' body, they could not prepare on Thursday, but could prepare the ointments on Friday, and then could not go to the tomb until after the weekly Sabbath/7th day was over. So they went early, before sunlight on Sunday, and found His tomb empty. He had risen at the end of the weekly Sabbath, that is Saturday before sundown. 3 Days and 3 Nights.

I use an app on my computer called "Stellarium". I have viewed all of the possible dates and believe that Wednesday April 25, 31 AD is the correct date. But is there a second witness? Yes, utilizing the Stellarium program, setting the location to Jerusalem, Israel. Notice in the screenshot 31AD and 4/25. The full moon is a partial solar eclipse. Choose any other possible date for Christ's crucifixion and you will not find a solar eclipse happening from noon to 3 pm.

View attachment 249349 The following image is from QuickPhase Pro and the Wednesday moon for April 25, 31 AD. This data is based on NASA.
View attachment 249353

A third witness (meaning agrees with the two above) is Hillel II calendar. View attachment 249354
This is amazing research and information. Thank you for sharing this.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
According to Luke 24:21-23 the women were out at the cemetery on the
third day; so start counting backwards from there.

For example: let's say arbitrarily that Sunday was the women's day. So then
Sunday would be the third day, Saturday the second day, and Friday the
first day. Bouncing from that we get Saturday night would be the third night,
Friday night the second night, and Thursday night the first night: which
would indicate Jesus was laid to rest just prior to sundown on a Thursday
afternoon.
_

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
OBJECTION: Sunday couldn't have been the third day because the women
went to the cemetery before the Sun was up and Jesus was already gone.

REPLY: Holy days began and ended at sunset; whereas civil days began at
06:00 am and ended at 06:00 pm.

Sometimes civil days began before the sun was up. For example: the Sun
will rise in Jerusalem April 5, 2023 at 06:23 am, which in the past would've
been 23 minutes after the beginning of their civil day.

So; if Jesus did his thing, and the women theirs, sometime in those 23
minutes before sunrise, then he and they were within the limits of a new
day rather than the tail end of a previous night.
_