Dating and Physical Intimacy

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What do you think is appropriate? (multiple choices)

• Women - Holding hands and kissing are fine on the 1st date.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Women - Holding hands and kissing are fine on the 2nd date.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Women - Holding hands and kissing are fine on the 3rd date.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Women - I think it's reserved for a relationship.

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Women - I won't do those before marriage.

• Men - Holding hands and kissing are fine on the 1st date.

• Men - Holding hands and kissing are fine on the 2nd date.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Men - Holding hands and kissing are fine on the 3rd date.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Men - I think it's reserved for a relationship.

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Men - I won't do those before marriage.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Women - I prefer a guy to kiss me after a great date.

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Women - I prefer a guy to kiss my cheek/hand after a great date.

• Women - I prefer a guy to give me a hug after a great date.

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Men - I prefer to kiss her after a great date. (or during)

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Men - I prefer to kiss her cheek/hand after a great date.

• Men - I just give her a hug.

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

onlinebuddy

Sep 1, 2012
Well it's the christian women I know who are boring I agree. As far as the purpose of dating some will tell you its only for when you are looking for a wife. Personally I just date for fun at the moment. Its something to do on some night during the week and have a good time going out with a cute girl and having dinner maybe sweing a movie or going to a concert.
Hey Nautilus,
I love your frankness:)
In my opinion, dating is a means to an end, and not the end itself. The end (purpose) is marriage, which is God's design. Off course, dating must continue (with one's spouse) after marriage.

Now, it is OK to date many women, as long as they are Christians and as long as one knows the limits set by God in terms of physical intimacy. Dating a Christian has its benefits, as there is no pressure to get physical. It teaches us to respect the opposite sex and be comfortable with the opposite sex. Dating the Christian way also challenges us to be more selfless; so it is good for our characters. It prepares us for marriage, because marriage challenges us to be selfless. A selfish marriage does not last.

Worldly dating could be very selfish. The world only teaches us to focus on self, and to use others for our own benefit. Getting physical is an important aspect of worldly dating.

As Christians, we must not conform to the pattern of the world (Romans 12:2).

I think, a kiss on the hand or a warm hug is enough to show the right type of affection. A kiss on the cheek may lead to something else, unless it a cultural thing to do.

onlinebuddy

Sep 1, 2012
I can sense that everyone disagrees with me. That explains the silence.

C

Chrissy77

I can sense that everyone disagrees with me. That explains the silence.

I don't think people disagree with you. I think we can become very selfish if we aren't careful in any relationship.
I do agree that we have to be very careful in what interaction physically we have with a person of the opposite sex because there is that temptation out there and it is very easy to get swept away by your feelings for someone.

P

Powemm

I know my limits.. sorry but I have to be real here...
I am extremely affectionate ... I also know holding hands is dangerous and shaky ground for me....( shrug.) I want to know my
Man is willing to protect what God says is pure... within Himself and me...if he protects that part.... To me that says "this isn't a bachelor I'm dealing with, this is an ALPHA male.". Gods man.. you want a key to a woman's heart... Have your head attached to the God head.... the rest falls perfectly in place

P

Powemm

One deep sea calls to another at the roar of your waterspouts. All the whitecaps on your waves have swept over me.
Psalm 42:7

sanglina

Jul 28, 2012
The problem of physical intimacy between believing couple is not a major issue if not an issue at all in my society (as far as I understand/learnt from others) as both are bound by the chastity of marital bed, it becomes an issue (I heard) when either one of the couple or both the couple happens to be nominal christian.

seekingg

Jul 13, 2012
i can.... but if it makes you think of sinning then you cant...

P

progressivenerdgirl

I don't date, and I don't do intimacy. Exclusive and romantic liasons are for married people. I might give a friendly hug.

H

helloIamRuthie

I think holding hands and kissing is OK in a relationship. cuddling is fine but you just have to be careful to not let any of those get carried away. kissing and cuddling can lead to more things if one person in the relationship is not as grounded or as strong as the other. i think you should avoid spending too much time alone if you are going to kiss or cuddle. go to the movie theater or keep all your lights on! there is something about the dark... not good. that's just my opinion. :)