Dealing with shame and guilt?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 14, 2024
I have this problem, with shame and guilt. I had talked to a Pastor About it before, and he has told me that my sins are forgiven.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
I have this problem, with shame and guilt. I had talked to a Pastor About it before, and he has told me that my sins are forgiven.
He is correct. God promises that when He forgives, He forgets (Hebrews 10:17). The blood of Christ is so pure and clean that it removes sin as if it never happened. It is a great relief when we realise this. It's not a licence to sin, but guilt makes us weak and allows Satan to oppress us. Once we confess our sin, we are forgiven and Satan loses his ground to accuse us.

Revelation 12:10 & 11
And I heard a loud voice in heaven saying:

“Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of His Christ. or the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down—he who accuses them day and night before our God.

They have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony. And they did not love their lives so as to shy away from death.

I advise you to look up every reference to the blood of Christ in the new testament to find out what it does for you. You will be blessed.

awelight

Aug 10, 2020
If you are a true believer in the Biblical Jesus Christ, then yes, you are forgiven. However, even as believers, we still sin because the sin nature is in our flesh. Therefore, we need to seek forgiveness everyday. 1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Confessing ones sin, does not mean confessing to another human being, (although you could do that if you wish), but rather in prayer to your heavenly Father. All believers need to be cleansed everyday.

As you mature, in the ways of God and the Commandments of our dear Lord, you will see your sins clearer and clearer... if you don't, then you are not maturing or you do not truly know the Lord.

Because God gave us, those who believe, a new heart and a tender conscience, you are going to have times when you will feel guilt and shame. Thank God for that. The alternative, is a blind or seared conscience, that cannot detect sin nor does it care. Nevertheless, do not allow your sins to weigh you down and take away your joy in Christ Jesus. He has taken your sins - not in part - but the whole and nailed them to the cross. Don't let your sins take that confidence away but believe it to be true and give God the Glory. Pray always that God will strengthen your love for Him and lead you into the paths of righteousness.

You might take comfort, in what Paul was inspired to write, about this very subject: See Romans 7:14-25

Oct 24, 2012
Thanking God for your confession to reality. You are not alone and no sin has overtaken man that has not already done so.
God saw from Heaven our plight the whole world's troubles of sin, some not caring, many caring and many giving. up and those that would not give up. Man Lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear Son Jesus heard, Son saying to Father, I see your plight, in not wanting anyone lost. And you can't just pick a few over those that do better than others, correct?
Yes Father says
Son says, then send me, I will go and reconcile everyone unto you Father. So Son came, did the entire Law of the Ten Commands perfectly. As man to this day does not understand those Ten Laws. Jesus revealed them as Love to all, to everyone, yes even those that are our enemies of stuff done to us or others by them. It is love and mercy that wins, and won on that cross for us in Son. He took on the sin of the entire world for us all to be given us new life in his risen Life to all that believe God. Once given this by god (No-one else), one can't sin, can't truly harm others ever again. Yet each will get in thought(s) of it, and fight against doing it and if do it, not wanting to do it, are under Law to not do it, which brings forth sin from an unredeemed body of that person Romans 7 tells us of that, me at least.
Romans 7 ends with well then who can redeem me from. this body I am in, I can't do it
Then Romans 8. There is no condemnation for those in Son Jesus, none!
Now man has taken that and brings in doubt to us, How do you know? So we the people doubt and kick ourselves out, back to the flesh first birth trying to produce it. No, please do not go down that road, if do, seek to learn from God all in all from that twisted road of any persons flesh trying to do what no flesh can do, but Son's that did it for you too, and all the world.
In prayer, to God ask for the new life to land you into all truth and see sin ruined by Son for you, proven in being risen for you to walk new read Col. 1, 2 Know this: God loves us as you are. You are the one between God and you that decides to not do things, that you see as not good for you, and then it will take effect, it is no longer you trying to do it, it is God's done work of Son through you doing it, God getting all the credit, thank you, you remaining humble in it having no guilt or pride in the way anymore
Your conscience gets purged from sin. Hebrews 10

Sep 13, 2022
Brasspen, when we truly repent and ask forgiveness, we are forgiven and our sin is washed away. The problem is, we need to have faith that our sin has been forgiven and forgive ourselves and move on. There is nothing to be ashamed of or guilty for when the sin is forgiven. It's good to remember the sin so you know not to repeat it but don't let the fact that you fell short, as we all do, drag you down.

sawdust

Feb 12, 2024
Darwin, NT
Do you attend a Bible teaching Church or receive teaching online?
Do you spend some time studying the Bible each day or at least spend some time reading it or using a devotional?
Do you pray each day?
When guilt and shame assail you, do you look to God's word and consider what He says on the matter as true rather than relying on your own thinking?

Here are some verses to consider and take to heart. Start depending on them to be true no matter what you may feel. Feelings come and go, but the word of the Lord endures forever.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Romans 8:1
There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

John 3:17
For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

Look up and see your salvation, not down at the ground. The devil is very happy for us to wallow in self condemnation for it destroys any hope of happiness. Tell the devil to go take a long walk off a short pier for your Master is the stronger man. :)

Trust in the Lord and believe His word.

Jul 18, 2017
If there is any possibility of making amends for past sins, then you should try and make amends. If you need to ask forgiveness from a person against whom you have sinned do so. If he or she forgives you fine, If not then you did make an effort. If it is some other matter, you can also do so, like Zacchaeus. But God has forgiven you, even though you may face the consequences of your sins. King David in the Bible is a good example.

Sep 14, 2024
Today at work was much nicer. Thing about it, is no harm was done to anyone, but feel bad anyways. But today I had came to realize, my memory of it had been distorted from the beginning, and this made me more calm.

Oct 24, 2012
If there is any possibility of making amends for past sins, then you should try and make amends. If you need to ask forgiveness from a person against whom you have sinned do so. If he or she forgives you fine, If not then you did make an effort. If it is some other matter, you can also do so, like Zacchaeus. But God has forgiven you, even though you may face the consequences of your sins. King David in the Bible is a good example.
It his not easy to go to others one has sinned against, and tell them it was you that did the sin against them, especially if the other person does not know it.
I remember my own convictions in this, when I read before you leave your gift at the altar, go to those you sinned against and ask for forgiveness from them, if you get it you got it, if you do not get it, be willing to pay what they might want.
I did it, to one person in particular, and the freedom that rushed over me was incredulously amazing. That person did forgive me ands said to me, they saw the freedom rush over me
Mind blowing to this day that was done over 30 years ago now, my confession.

So, Brasspen, hoping you see it in yourself to face it to. be freed from it, trusting Father of risen Son for you too

Sep 14, 2024
I really do not see more to say about it. I have gotten my answer from the community here, I just need to act on it now. Which brings me to another thread I want to start...