Define: Worldy

• Thread starter MYSAVIORJESUSCHRIST
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MYSAVIORJESUSCHRIST

---Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.---James 1:27

I get the first part, it is pretty clear, but we live in the 21st century now and the world is all around us. Just to get a job in America you need a car, an email, a phone, clean clothes etc. There is also T.V, movies, books (besides the bible), sports etc. that some people use for downtime...

Just asking, where do you draw the line: What is keeping from being "polluted by the world?":confused:

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Jesus says it's not what goes into your mouth that pollutes you, but what comes out of it.

(Matthew 15:11, Mark 7:15)

so i think this is a question of influence, not of isolation.

Jan 7, 2015
1 John 2:16
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

B

biblicalsandy

of or concerned with material values or ordinary life rather than a spiritual existence.

• (of a person) experienced and sophisticated.
    [TABLE="class: vk_tbl vk_gy"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: lr_dct_nyms_ttl"][/TD]
    [TD]
    Going by this..I would go with like Charlie Sheen, Donald Trump, a lot of movie stars, singers...Bill Gates, Obama..Politicians.
    Someone who buys a 2,000,000.00 car, or golden toilet![/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Jan 7, 2015
1 John 2:16
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
The lusts (works) of the flesh are these....

Galatians 5:19-21 "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,[SUP]20 [/SUP]Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
[SUP]21 [/SUP]Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God."

B

Babylonisfalling

---Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.---James 1:27

I get the first part, it is pretty clear, but we live in the 21st century now and the world is all around us. Just to get a job in America you need a car, an email, a phone, clean clothes etc. There is also T.V, movies, books (besides the bible), sports etc. that some people use for downtime...

Just asking, where do you draw the line: What is keeping from being "polluted by the world?":confused:
None of those things you listed are going to pollute you merely because you use it. You can use a car to drive to an adulterous affair or to a shelter to feed homeless. Same principle with everything else. You can be polluted by how you use that stuff but not just by using it.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012

Mainly it's the world system, it's approach to life etc.
The best antidote is soak your soul in God's Word for true cleaning and 24hr protection.

LOLOKGal

Nov 13, 2015
Jesus says it's not what goes into your mouth that pollutes you, but what comes out of it.

(Matthew 15:11, Mark 7:15)

so i think this is a question of influence, not of isolation.
I couldn't have said it better myself! Good response! :D

There's nothing wrong with having things. There's something wrong with allowing it to get in the way of your relationship with God. :)

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015

The meaning of "Worldly" is when the cares of this world take the place of God in ones heart, so that your focus is here, which is usually associated with sowing to the sinful nature and not watching or being ready for Christ's appearing.

Anything or anyone that is taking the place of God as being first in a persons heart, is idolatry.