Deleting Facebook?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

TheIndianGirl

Has anyone deleted their Facebook account? Any regrets? I'm thinking of deleting but then I'd lose all those connections (people from middle/high school, past coworkers, etc.) even though I'm sure I won't see them again. Also my memories of some of them have faded that I don't really remember how/where we met. But, it's nice to see how some people from high school are doing (even though we'll never meet again). I particularly look at the profiles of a few people, and while I'm happy for them I get a bit down.

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
I deleted mine not too long ago. Figured it was kind of pointless to have one....since I didn't really have any friends or anyone to keep in contact with. So no harm done, right?

von1

Apr 22, 2010
Has anyone deleted their Facebook account? Any regrets? I'm thinking of deleting but then I'd lose all those connections (people from middle/high school, past coworkers, etc.) even though I'm sure I won't see them again. Also my memories of some of them have faded that I don't really remember how/where we met. But, it's nice to see how some people from high school are doing (even though we'll never meet again). I particularly look at the profiles of a few people, and while I'm happy for them I get a bit down.
I still have my facebook account, but most of my family and friends on there I don't really talk with. The thing is mostly the posts, i get is not even from my friends, they are advertisements and junk stuff. I have about 179 friends on there, I may talk with 10 of them.

K

Kim82

The people you have on your friends list, do you talk to them or do you only look at their profile/statuses?

I had a Facebook account years ago with a long "friends" list of strangers, who I didn't speak to. I didn't see the point of it so I deleted.

I have WhatsApp but I avoid looking at people's status, nether do I post any status. Infact I use various images on the net for my profile pic. I've also turned off notification alert. Its a nuisance to get those notifications of my contacts sending memes etc. Not to mention when you are in a WhatsApp group, and people are chatting with each other and you're getting all these alerts. What a nuisance!

I don't know how people can put all their life and private business out there like that. They can if they want, but I choose not to preoccupy my time with their business.

T

TheIndianGirl

The people you have on your friends list, do you talk to them or do you only look at their profile/statuses?
A handful that I currently keep in touch, most of them I just look at their profiles.
I had a Facebook account years ago with a long "friends" list of strangers, who I didn't speak to.
Almost of all of them I knew at some point of my life, and I won't really consider them strangers. People in my high school doing projects together, friends from high school band, people from my internships/jobs, etc. I just feel bad cutting off ties. Like, if for any reason we would reconnect in the future (move to same city, etc.), that option would be forever lost.

E

EliBeth

Hello, TheIndianGirl. 🙂

I deleted my account a few years ago. I was convicted I wasted too much time on it. It needed to be done in my case.

Would the reason for your deletion be because it causes you to become downhearted? That is significant. I have heard reports about how social media can prove to have negative effects on people emotionally.

Is there a potential for ministry by having a profile? Is your presence on Facebook encouraging others?

Also, do you think God is leading you in one direction or the other?

Most likely, if you were to delete and regret it, you could create a new profile and refriend the people you really had an interest in keeping up with- if you remembered their names.

I hope you reach the best conclusion for your situation. I suggest you pray for guidance if you haven't already. 🙂 Happy 2020! 🎉

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I deleted mine and then made a new one a couple of years later and was careful who I allowed in my circle. I also unfollow anybody who posts stuff I dont want to see, so they dont show up, but I could still contact them if I really needed to.

I use it mostly for the messenger chat. Otherwise I dont really post much about myself on there. Its more for joining groups like the neighbourhood group or whatever you are interested in like gardening.

I write on blogs more as part of a record and dont really use facebook as a family photo album though some people do. Thats their thing but not really mine.

The younger generation dont really use facebook they are all into instagram.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
my advice is to surround yourself with encouraging people dont feel down. and dont compare yourself to others. Profile are just what people put about themselves but if you know them already they dont need a profile. I dont even fill hardly any of mine out, you dont have to always say what you are doing.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Fake Book is ridiculous. The FBI and CIA love it, however. LOL

Dec 23, 2019
godfoundme.weebly.com
We are to do all things for the glory of God, but how we do so may not look the same for everyone. We are all different parts of the body with different functions. The Bible doesn't forbid drinking wine, but forbids drunkenness. Therefore to one that is inclined to take strong drink and abuse it then they should abstain. Facebook can be the same. It can be positive for connecting with friends or family and can be a platform for sharing what God is doing in your life and reaching others with the gospel. Or it can become a time consuming idol for some who should cut back or abstain. It can depress or deflate us as well, so again either limit or abstain. Each person should reflect, pray about it, and do what they believe God wants them to do. There is some positive and some negative, and sometimes we take on things as part of our cross to bear for His kingdom while other times we have to stop and remove logs from our eyes before we can expect to remove splinters from others.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
OK I'll admit it. I like Facebook. I like getting a heads up that it is someone's birthday, seeing pics of my friends' children, getting new air fryer, instapot and clean eating recipes. I am part of a couple of writers' groups and follow a few favourite artists. I can keep in with my friends from other countries and time zones because of Facebook. My church posts on Facebook and has a friends page. I personally like to post pics that make me say wow, or things that make me laugh. I like to post things that uplift and make me think. Facebook is not a private place, and if we are not friends then I won't add you. I would not post something that my mom couldn't see or that would shame my son. I am encouraged by what my friends share and I am glad that I can be there when they need comfort. Come election time I unfollow anyone that needs to state their point by attacking others but aside from that Facebook is fine in moderation.

Dec 23, 2019
godfoundme.weebly.com
LOL Yes laughingheart, all of that's positive. Glad for you :) Apart from family, many of my "friends" on there are really just acquaintances. Positive updates from friends are nice and some occasional Bible quotes or funny memes are sometimes shared. However, many are not Christian so sometimes it can be discouraging to see what is posted. I still remember when I posted about the undercover Live Action videos (nothing graphic or mean or anything as many of the women are told incorrect info like Abby Johnson) thinking people would be shocked, but nobody replied and I only saw people in my newsfeed with hashtags saying things like "I stand with Planned Parenthood." I don't post often and especially not about politics, but I felt that was important to spread awareness about the selling of baby parts, misinformation to pregnant women, and the lies of the news media. Either Facebook hid the post from appearing on the feed or nobody who agreed saw it.

Anyway, I also like to share positive or funny things (be a light in the world) and appreciate when others do the same. Sometimes opportunities arise to bring up spiritual matters. However, I was never into Facebook as much as I was into MySpace at the time. Now that's abandoned, I don't do Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, etc. I like some aspects of Facebook, but not all. The whole government spy/storage thing is definitely a negative. However, like I said, if there are any issues then each person should weigh all things and come to the decision that God leads them to. I think for me, limited use is good.

T

TheIndianGirl

I only update a few times a year (since I really have nothing to update?), but check it multiple times a day.

I share major church events, like Christmas Eve service.

I don't get depressed or anything, but I wonder "why not me?" when looking at the other posts. And then I think about other things, will I be lonely when elderly? Etc.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I only update a few times a year (since I really have nothing to update?), but check it multiple times a day.

I share major church events, like Christmas Eve service.

I don't get depressed or anything, but I wonder "why not me?" when looking at the other posts. And then I think about other things, will I be lonely when elderly? Etc.
Dear IndianGirl you are being honest. Facebook has a lot of good uses but the posts are an unrealistic view of another person's life. People post nice vacation pics. They don't post about how everyone was irritable with the waits in the airport, the tight seats and having to pay for airline food. You don't hear the kids whining that they didn't want to come on this dumb trip and wanted to stay home with friends. You don't hear about the lost luggage, bad packing choices and the credit card bills. What you get is a few chosen pics for seeing everything at its best.
People post edited photos of themselves. No woman in her right mind posts side shots or ones taken from below (it makes normal people look like Jabba the Hut).
The jobs, homes, trips and family posts are only the good stuff. The occasional person might ask for prayer for a rough time. Maybe you have that friend that always posts doom and gloom (emotional vampires), but trust me, you are not seeing the full picture. A good part of their lives would make you give thanks for not being them.
As for lonely when you are elderly, I think a lot of us wonder about that. I am 55 and yes I get scared. My response is to create and gather a community of women around me. Look for women with positive attitudes, can do and make do types of people. Look for people who enjoy life, whose love for God is made real in how they handle life and how they treat other people. It will give you hope for the future. Being alone goes beyond, "Will I find a mate?". I realized I didn't have to be alone if I had good friends who were willing to be there for each other, help each other is practical ways. That is worth gold. I wish you every happiness. Your posts show you are intelligent and interesting. I bet it would be fun to go out for coffee with you. I pray that 2020 gives you joy and hope.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
I did away with mine about 7 years ago. Now I just have a fake one so I can use it for a login for certain apps or websites. 😁

T

TheIndianGirl

Dear IndianGirl you are being honest. Facebook has a lot of good uses but the posts are an unrealistic view of another person's life. People post nice vacation pics. They don't post about how everyone was irritable with the waits in the airport, the tight seats and having to pay for airline food. You don't hear the kids whining that they didn't want to come on this dumb trip and wanted to stay home with friends. You don't hear about the lost luggage, bad packing choices and the credit card bills. What you get is a few chosen pics for seeing everything at its best.
People post edited photos of themselves. No woman in her right mind posts side shots or ones taken from below (it makes normal people look like Jabba the Hut).
The jobs, homes, trips and family posts are only the good stuff. The occasional person might ask for prayer for a rough time. Maybe you have that friend that always posts doom and gloom (emotional vampires), but trust me, you are not seeing the full picture. A good part of their lives would make you give thanks for not being them.
As for lonely when you are elderly, I think a lot of us wonder about that. I am 55 and yes I get scared. My response is to create and gather a community of women around me. Look for women with positive attitudes, can do and make do types of people. Look for people who enjoy life, whose love for God is made real in how they handle life and how they treat other people. It will give you hope for the future. Being alone goes beyond, "Will I find a mate?". I realized I didn't have to be alone if I had good friends who were willing to be there for each other, help each other is practical ways. That is worth gold. I wish you every happiness. Your posts show you are intelligent and interesting. I bet it would be fun to go out for coffee with you. I pray that 2020 gives you joy and hope.
Thank you laughingheart for your comforting words. You are right, people do not post about their struggles although I also have a few emotional vampires. Being elderly alone gets to me sometimes, since I am an only child. But God will provide.

KhedetOrthos

Dec 13, 2019
I deleted all my social media profiles except for LinkedIn. Having them out there really wasn’t compatible with work.

Jan 10, 2020
You can always deactivate your account for a short time and then turn it on again!!! This is what I have done to great effect!!
I have not lost any contacts, but they will not disturb my daily life this way! Consider it!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I worked in retirement villages and for many people, when they reach an elderly age they move into them so they wont be so alone. some can be very social, and there is care if you need it. imagine going flatting again in you golden years and meeting up with all your old school friends again its kinda like that. which is just like facebook in a way.

the reality is if you dont have brothers or sisters or spouse or grandchildren you going to have to build up your support network in other ways and thats why universities or schools encouraged 'old boy' networks so people keep in touch after they graduated and you can support each other. its really not meant to be that you constsntly compare yourself and what you do with others, so maybe change your mindset about how you use it.

use the msging function and send positive msga to people you care about thats how I use it, although I do share good news as well as bad for updates to keep people informed about improtnat things going on in life but for me facebook isnt really about ME.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
My wife has a Facebook account, but I don't. Christian Chat is the closest thing I have to Facebook. :giggle: