Demons

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend any academic studies on the subject of demons? I know there are books on the subject, but frankly I am looking for something more detached and objective. Something that examines the facts and documents the results of a detailed and systematic investigation. I am looking for a scientific study not something produced by a pastor with second hand accounts that cannot be verified.

Many thanks.

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend any academic studies on the subject of demons? I know there are books on the subject, but frankly I am looking for something more detached and objective. Something that examines the facts and documents the results of a detailed and systematic investigation. I am looking for a scientific study not something produced by a pastor with second hand accounts that cannot be verified.

Many thanks.
Wouldn't you be more better served should you visit a more demonic website? I'm sure that in these days of the "super hi-way" of information, your queries of this nature are out there!

But? Should you be looking? The best way would be in peering within your own self. Sure you would find a more "better" proof. FIRST HAND TOO!

P

pottersclay

Hi folks,

Many thanks.
In my opinion this would be a dead end and waste of time. Scripture tells us they are liars and no truth is found in them.
So what ever you come across cannot be truth or a base line of it.

P

pottersclay

Scripture tells us they are liars so how could you believe anything written about them????.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
No I didnt study crimonology.
But I'm sure there are plenty, not sure why you want to look. Get busy casting them out rather than scientifically studying them. If you are a believer then you have the authority to do this.

Besides science by its nature wont accept the supernatural or paranormal and doesnt agree that the demonic can exist.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
No I didnt study crimonology.
But I'm sure there are plenty, not sure why you want to look. Get busy casting them out rather than scientifically studying them. If you are a believer then you have the authority to do this.

Besides science by its nature wont accept the supernatural or paranormal and doesnt agree that the demonic can exist.
Consider that you are debating an atheist. You are asked about suffering. You deal with the compexities of the subject, but wish at the end, to add that there is a small component of human suffering that arises directly as a result of demonic activity. I never make much of this. It is a minority consideration, but for completeness it is part of the total picture. So, the atheist rejects even the premise of a demon. But we know they exist. What evidence can we provide? Anecdotal evidence will not do. I believe there are serious studies. A few years ago I had some references, but I can’t find them. I scanned the internet, but as you say, the subject is very much on the fringe. There are seminaries in the US that may have produced serious work. If I could cite it, that would certainly support my case.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
Scripture tells us they are liars so how could you believe anything written about them????.
If you read my reply to Lanolin, you will see where I am coming from.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Well you cant do a scientific experiment on demonic because that wouldnt be ethical.
Maybe if you go to a seminary and look at longitutdinal studies as that is more controlled but its also anecodatal in that the people in the study are telling their personal experiences to someone else. But i guess it would be first hand experience.

You need to look at peer reviewed journals, I dont know any off hand cos never worked in a seminary library but am sure there are ones out there. I do remember one called Disicpleship Journal but not sure if that was academic. Also the Barna group do surveys.

Evangelists that cast out demons and have recorded peoples testimonies that they themselves have written or recorded are out there, see Dove ministries. Plenty of people have been saved and testify that they had demons cast out. Proof is they are living a christian life free from bondage.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
Well you cant do a scientific experiment on demonic because that wouldnt be ethical.
Maybe if you go to a seminary and look at longitutdinal studies as that is more controlled but its also anecodatal in that the people in the study are telling their personal experiences to someone else. But i guess it would be first hand experience.

You need to look at peer reviewed journals, I dont know any off hand cos never worked in a seminary library but am sure there are ones out there. I do remember one called Disicpleship Journal but not sure if that was academic. Also the Barna group do surveys.

Evangelists that cast out demons and have recorded peoples testimonies that they themselves have written or recorded are out there, see Dove ministries. Plenty of people have been saved and testify that they had demons cast out. Proof is they are living a christian life free from bondage.

Thanks for your comments.

AxeElf

Mar 5, 2019
Science concerns itself with the natural world. If demons exist, they belong to the supernatural world. Therefore there can be no scientific studies of demons.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
I understand your curiosity and hope you find what you are looking for.

BUT I feel compelled to tell you: BE CAREFUL! Be very careful when studying the occult world, it can do some serious damage in your life! Plead the blood of Jesus over you before you get started with it!

Lord Jesus protect this man on his journey for knowledge, give him the answers he is looking for, but keep him from the evil one!

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
I understand your curiosity and hope you find what you are looking for.

BUT I feel compelled to tell you: BE CAREFUL! Be very careful when studying the occult world, it can do some serious damage in your life! Plead the blood of Jesus over you before you get started with it!

Lord Jesus protect this man on his journey for knowledge, give him the answers he is looking for, but keep him from the evil one!
I thank you dear friend, but I do not intend to get involved in the occult world at all. It disgusts me. I simply want legitimate academic evidence to support the contention that such a world exists and is not, as atheists constantly claim, an invention of the gullible. We cannot ignore this world, but I certainly don’t intend to immerse myself in it!

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
Science concerns itself with the natural world. If demons exist, they belong to the supernatural world. Therefore there can be no scientific studies of demons.
I see what you mean, but there can be properly controlled and documented case studies and testimony from victims and their relatives and of ministers and their experiences. If such evidence is collected from different locations around the world, then it provides a body of evidence. We are employing the scientific method. The study is not of demons themselves, but of their effects in the world. Such a study would be very helpful to Christians everywhere, particularly ministers and I feel sure that such information is published somewhere.

P

pottersclay

I think that mostly you will find things under paranormal. Demons are referred to in the natural world as evil spirits, angry ghost what ever. If you look for case studies of possession you might find something of interest. But I do not encourage your endeavors stay safe.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I don't care what your motives, however noble. We are to be seeking Christ, the Kingdom of God and his righteousness.

What you are doing is fruitless! And, in case you hadn't read the Book, we win! God is in control, more powerful than any evil or demonic encounter.

I can look in my theological school library, which is an international theological, peer reviewed, data base. I'm sure I won't find much of anything! I'll let you know!

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
I don't care what your motives, however noble. We are to be seeking Christ, the Kingdom of God and his righteousness.

What you are doing is fruitless! And, in case you hadn't read the Book, we win! God is in control, more powerful than any evil or demonic encounter.

I can look in my theological school library, which is an international theological, peer reviewed, data base. I'm sure I won't find much of anything! I'll let you know!
Thanks for your efforts.

AxeElf

Mar 5, 2019
I see what you mean, but there can be properly controlled and documented case studies and testimony from victims and their relatives and of ministers and their experiences. If such evidence is collected from different locations around the world, then it provides a body of evidence. We are employing the scientific method. The study is not of demons themselves, but of their effects in the world. Such a study would be very helpful to Christians everywhere, particularly ministers and I feel sure that such information is published somewhere.
You can find case studies and testimonies aplenty, but this is called "anecdotal evidence" and is not admissable in the scientific method.

You cannot study the effects of something without actually demonstrating that the thing exists in the first place (see what I did there?), and since supernatural things cannot be demonstrated scientifically (since science concerns itself with the natural world only), neither can the effects of supernatural things. If there is an effect that can be documented without a natural cause, science will call it "unexplained" until a natural explanation can be found.

AxeElf

Mar 5, 2019
BUT I feel compelled to tell you: BE CAREFUL! Be very careful when studying the occult world
The word "occult" gets kind of a bad rap. "Occult" is defined as "supernatural, mystical, or magical beliefs, practices, or phenomena," so by definition, ANY religious study, thought, knowledge, etc., is, by definition, occult. It's not just the "dark side"; the existence of God Himself is occult.