The other day I was doing my reading in Matthew. Chapter 16 verses 24 has been playing repeatedly in my mind for a couple of days now. What does it mean to deny ourselves? What does it mean to take up our cross? When we deny ourselves, we surrender all our desires, plans, ambitions, family etc. We give it all to God. We realize that our plans may not agree with God's. Does not necessarily mean our plans are bad or anything, just that they aren't what he has for us. If we follow our own desires, even though God has shown us what his plans are, we are not denying ourselves. We have not giving God full control of our lives, our family, our plans. I'm sure you all already know all of this, you don't need me to tell you. Taking up our cross. We'll have our own burdens to bear. Living for the Lord does not exempt us from hard times. It does not mean that our hearts will not be broken at times and everything will be rainbows and unicorns and cotton candy clouds (Matthew 5:45). We all experience our own issues. We all have our own crosses. This scripture has made me really examine myself. Have I really given everything to him? Am I hanging onto something? Have I really denied myself of my own desires? I wonder how often we have hindered the Lord's work in our own lives because we didn't turn something over to him and we held onto it. When we finally get to the point where we deny ourselves of our own wants and surrender to God's desires, He will move mightily in our lives. When I say "mightily" I'm referring more on a personal level, I'm not talking about Him doubling our bank account or things like that. I'm talking about being free from ourselves and giving him full and total control. I have things that I would love to see certain things happen in my life, but they are nothing compared to what God has for me. Nothing wrong with having desires and plans that glorify the Lord, but what makes it wrong is when we totally ignore His direction and proceed with our own plans. We can't be true followers of Christ unless we deny ourselves and take up our cross. God help me! Some may disagree with what I said. Just wanted to share this and see what you all thought. God bless!