Deuteronomy 30:11 opinions/meaning?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Victor1999

Jul 8, 2019
"Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach."

Original:
כִּי הַמִּצְוָה הַזֹּאת, אֲשֶׁר אָנֹכִי מְצַוְּךָ הַיּוֹם--לֹא-נִפְלֵאת
הִוא מִמְּךָ, וְלֹא רְחֹקָה הִוא

Literal translation (my own understanding):
For this commandment which I command you today is not too great for you, and is not (too) far (from you).

It seems to be saying that the laws of Moses (written in a book of instruction and passed on to the people by the Levites) are not too hard for us to keep, which is unusual because it is written that nobody can keep the law properly except Christ. In Deut. 31 it says that this book of instruction is meant to be a witness exposing the sins of the people. Deut. 30 predicts the exile of the Hebrews and promises that if they keep these commandments they will return to their promised Land. It is known that they have already returned from exile and there are 7 million of them there as we speak. Could someone who is gifted with understanding please shed some light on these confusing chapters and their connection to the return from exile? Thanks in advance.

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
"Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach."

Original:

For this commandment which I command you today is not too great for you, and is not (too) far (from you).

It seems to be saying that the laws of Moses (written in a book of instruction and passed on to the people by the Levites) are not too hard for us to keep, which is unusual because it is written that nobody can keep the law properly except Christ. In Deut. 31 it says that this book of instruction is meant to be a witness exposing the sins of the people. Deut. 30 predicts the exile of the Hebrews and promises that if they keep these commandments they will return to their promised Land. It is known that they have already returned from exile and there are 7 million of them there as we speak. Could someone who is gifted with understanding please shed some light on these confusing chapters and their connection to the return from exile? Thanks in advance.
Actually the Apostle Paul quotes this verse at Romans 10:8, so what is Paul's point? Secondly, how is it that Christ was able to keep the law properly? :eek:

IN HIM,
bluto

Jun 10, 2019
You can create a bridge a mile wide crossing a three foot wide ditch yet at some point someone will fall off it.

Dec 12, 2013

Original:

The best way to sum of the law as opposed to grace is...

What the law could not do in that it is weak through the flesh....

Even JESUS had a moment of flesh when he said if it be possible let this cup pass from me.....and like he said....THE SPIRIT is indeed willing, but the flesh is weak....

GOD knew before he cast the world down in creation that man, including Israel/Judah, would not be able to keep his law......it deems the guilt of man before a HOLY, JUST GOD....and like you have correctly stated, NO MAN except JESUS has kept it or will ever keep it.....hence GOD beginning to reconcile the world to himself in himself before the world began.

Keep swinging brother....I like your approach migo.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
It seems to be saying that the laws of Moses (written in a book of instruction and passed on to the people by the Levites) are not too hard for us to keep, which is unusual because it is written that nobody can keep the law properly except Christ.
There is a difference between "nobody can keep the Law perfectly" and "it is not too hard to keep". The Law (which is the Law of Love) can be kept perfectly by those who have the Holy Spirit, and by the power of the Spirit. As we read in Scripture "His commandments are not grievous".

Sep 6, 2014

Original:

Deuteronomy 30:11-14

For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off. 12It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? 13Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? 14But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

It's about faith,.......

Romans 10:5-8

For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them. 6But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:) 7Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.) 8But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

It's about faith,.......

Galatians 3:11-12
But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. 12And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

It's about faith,.......

Hebrews 3:15-19
While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
16For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses. 17But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness? 18And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not? 19So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

It's about faith,.......
Hebrews 11

Victor1999

Jul 8, 2019
You're all right, but that's not my question. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough so I'll ask again: How is it possible that the Hebrews have returned from exile even though they had not obeyed the book of instruction? What is this book of instruction anyways, is it not the laws of Moses? Did Jesus keeping the law allow them to return? Could that mean that they will believe in Him soon?

Mar 28, 2016
Deuteronomy 30:11-14
For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off. 12It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? 13Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? 14But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

It's about faith,.......

Romans 10:5-8
For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them. 6But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)7Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.) 8But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

It's about faith,.......

Galatians 3:11-12
But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. 12And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

It's about faith,.......

Hebrews 3:15-19
While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
16For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses. 17But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness? 18And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not? 19So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

It's about faith,.......
Hebrews 11

Amen exactly its about faith that gives those previous deaf and blind ears.

Isaiah 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

If we do not hear or refuse to hear God working in us to both will and perform his good pleasure how could we guard the faith of Emanuel (God with us) working in us to both will and do his good pleasure .

He says to do so without murmuring in false pride as if the work came from us. Reminding us of what do we have that we have freely received . And if we have received it freely why boast as if not.

His mercy and grace leaves no room for false pride. The Sinatra ...I did it my way .

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019

Original:

It seems to be saying that the laws of Moses (written in a book of instruction and passed on to the people by the Levites) are not too hard for us to keep, which is unusual because it is written that nobody can keep the law properly except Christ
Right Victor. Moses was teaching that it wasn't too difficult or beyond their reach to repent, to ask God for forgiveness and to lead them,

For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. Heb.4:2