Devoted to prayer

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

bluearchimedes

Junior Member
Jul 4, 2016
19
4
3
Prayer is a vital part of the Christian faith. It is our means of communicating with our Heavenly Father. The Apostle Paul had much to say about prayer in his many letters. In his letter to the Colossians, he states, "Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart" (Colossians 4:2, NLT). What he is saying is that we should establish and maintain an active prayer life.

As we pray, we need an "alert mind" so that our enemy (Satan) does not interfere. As 1 Peter 5:8, 9 (NLT) state, "Watch out for attacks from the devil, your great enemy....Take a firm stand against him, and be strong in your faith." I have found that when I try to pray at times, my mind gets very distracted from the main focus of my prayer. Knowing that distraction is a tactic of Satan to keep me less focused, I am more determined than ever to keep my mind aware of other tactics he may use to prevent me from praying.

With a "thankful heart", we show our gratitude to God, our loving Heavenly Father. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NLT) tells us that being thankful is "God's will for [us] who belong to Christ Jesus." What do we have to be thankful for? God's unconditional love, His saving grace, and His faithful promise to never leave me nor forsake me come to mind.

May God bless you all every day.
 
Thank you for sharing. I know I get too easily distracted when I pray and quite often, I'll forget what to say next after I get over the distractions in my brain. Every day I try to make it a consistent habit to thank God for his love, grace, and faithfulness like you mentioned. This reminder is just what I needed! God bless!
 
YES VERY true, the very truth. There is no personal relationship when someone comes to the Father, being born again, and dosn't have a prayer life, or depends on other's not as in agreement, but lack of faith. When the same nature character shows in the flesh after years of going to service, or serving doing things in the church, there is no change showing, it shows there is no spiritual growth, nor the fruits of the HOly Spirit, it's just going into a house place instead of going into the gates to the Throne Room of God's altars, in prayer. Prayer changes you, being in his presence changes your character, ";you shall know they belong to me by their fruits." bible.