Devotional God is in Controll p 1/2

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Demi777

Senior Member
Oct 13, 2014
6,908
1,988
113
Germany
[h=6]Dear Friend,

Is anyone in charge here? Are the inmates running the asylum? Is society as we know it spinning out of control?

I don’t know about you, but when I read the headlines or see the stories in the nightly news, these questions come to mind. The chaos and social deterioration that seem to be running rampant in our world today are good evidence that most of the world appears to be operating without a moral compass.

For those of us whose lives are founded on the Rock, however, we know Who is in charge. Even more, we know that the entire flow of world history is moving inexorably toward a dramatic consummation in Jesus Christ. We know this as surely as we live.

What does it mean to live in the assurance that God is in control? Will our response be more substantive than mere rhetoric? What action will it inspire in each of us who name the Name of Jesus? These are some of the questions we hope to address in this letter.[/h] [h=4]Fruitful Pursuits[/h][h=6]For most of my life, I have had more than a passing interest in politics and sociology. In fact, for a fair portion of my life, I worked directly in the realm of public policy. Even so, my prevailing opinion is that political discussions accomplish very little of lasting value. The Body of Christ is composed of Christians of every stripe and political persuasion, and each of us is entitled to his or her own opinion. Sometimes we agree. Sometimes we don’t. Often, those disagreements—even among Christians—can get a little ugly.

Given a choice between talking politics or scriptural truth, my vote will always go with the Word as the more fruitful alternative—although I have to admit that discussing politics is always a little tempting.

So, even though the political scene is white-hot in this election year, let’s make the more fruitful choice. Let’s concentrate in this letter on the Word of God, as well as an inspiring teaching by Derek Prince called God’s Heart for America. (Later, we will let you know how to receive Derek’s full message.)[/h] [h=4]Raging Nations and Leaders[/h][h=6]Let’s begin with a focus on the Word. Psalm 2 is a passage I regularly use to steady myself when conditions in society jostle my equilibrium. The psalm begins with questions pertinent to the upheaval we see around us in the world. “Why do the nations rage [throng tumultuously], and the people plot a vain [worthless or empty] thing?” In later verses, the psalm cites the tendency of rulers and kings to align themselves “against the LORD and against His Anointed”—a phenomenon clearly evident in many modern nations.

How does God respond to these arrogant challenges to His sovereignty and rulership? Verses 4–6 speak of His reaction: “He who sits in the heavens shall laugh; the Lord shall hold them in derision. Then He shall speak to them in His wrath, and distress them in His deep displeasure: ‘Yet I have set My King on My holy hill of Zion.’”

Later, in verses 10–12, God “suggests” an attitude adjustment for these arrogant kings and rulers. “Now therefore, be wise, O kings; be instructed, you judges of the earth. Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the Son, lest He be angry, and you perish in the way….”[/h] [h=4]A Matter of Trust[/h][h=6]Psalm 2 ends with words which serve not only as an admonition to defiant rulers, but as a foundation stone for each of us in these tumultuous days: “Blessed are all those who put their trust in Him” (verse 12). Our trust is in Him. These are words of wisdom and comfort which we ought to take to heart.

Is it possible for you and me to become disoriented, disturbed and disquieted in the midst of the swirling upheaval in the world around us? Absolutely. Yet, there is one realization which provides solidity and stability for us in uncertain times—the recognition that we can place our trust in God.

Ultimately, God has placed His Choice, our Lord Jesus Christ, on the throne of the universe. Jesus is the King of all kings, the Lord of all lords, the Ruler of all rulers, the President of all presidents. He is in charge—eternally. God is in control.[/h][h=6][/h][h=4]How Should We Respond?[/h][h=6]What kind of response should this realization produce in us? It may be different than what you would expect. Rather than some enthusiastic fist-pumping, which might be understandable, the Lord will probably lead us more in a direction of humility and prayer. Like Daniel when he understood that a fulfillment of God’s sovereign purpose was imminent (see 9:1–19), we may also find ourselves drawn toward humble, repentant intercession.

This is exactly the point of Derek Prince’s message, God’s Heart for America. What God asked Derek applies also to us—regardless of whatever nation we call home.[/h]
[h=6]I am not here with a negative message. When we were in Auckland, New Zealand, the Lord woke me up at about 2 a.m. That’s the time He tends to wake me up if He’s got something to say. This was so serious that I did something I very seldom do. I had to get out of bed, kneel by my bed and pray. God was dealing with me, and He said to me, “Are you willing to ask Me [Jesus] to give you My heart for America?”

I said, “Lord, what are You asking? I don’t have any way to understand the depth of Your grief over America—and You want me to ask for Your heart for America?” The word that came to me that really sums up the attitude of Jesus toward America at this time was disappointment. He is disappointed. He has done for this nation more, I believe, in many ways than He’s ever done for any other nation in human history—spiritually and materially. What has been the response of the nation? I think disappointment is the mildest word you could use to express the reaction of Jesus.

He said, “Are you willing to ask Me to give you My heart for America?” This was a very real interview. I said, “Lord, the people of America have been so kind to me. They’ve honored me; they’ve supported me; they’ve brought my ministry forth. How could I ever say I won’t ask You to give me Your heart for America?” I prayed, “Lord, if that’s what You want, give me Your heart for America.” A little while later Ruth and I prayed together: “Lord, give us Your heart for America.”

I want to tell you, it’s a broken heart. It’s a heart that is deeply, deeply grieved. He said, “What more could I have done for that nation than I have done? And see how they’ve responded.”

Now, I am aware God has His precious saints in America—many of them. But, listen—listen to what God says. This is God’s response [from Ezekiel 22:30] to the situation that He described. “So I sought for a man among them who would make a wall and stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land, that I should not destroy it.”[/h]​