Devouring widows houses

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 28, 2016
Its not a parable, at least I dont think so it was Jesus direct observation but there WERE other parables Jesus told about widows.

What about the one where the widow kept knocking at the door. Luke 18:1-8
Thanks for the reply.

I would offer most parables used to preach the gospel has two meaning. Both true working as one. . Historically after the temporal as that seen. And spiritual the eternal, not seen (2 Corinthians 4:18)

The parable in Luke 18 would represent a Judge who was not a respecter of persons or unjust in his decisions . His word is law and he is of one mind and always does whatsoever his soul pleases. The widow as the up coming of bride of Christ as a new creation is in respect to the mention of a city which is also a word to represent the bride of Christ. In effect this widow heard the knocking of a opportunity he would have mercy on her drawing her to him and he did not cast her out..

Because "this widow" troubled Christ, as the Judge as his voice of opportunity knocked on the door of her newly created heart he does avenge her sin forgiving her as she passed from death to life. . I believe a picture of the gospel

The Holy Spirit compares this widow to the elect in verse 7 His bride does cry day and night unto him. As David said in the psalms' , When she wakes he is still their. .

Luke 18:1-7 King James Version (KJV)And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;
Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man:And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary. And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man; Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me. And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith. And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Thanks for the reply.

I would offer most parables used to preach the gospel has two meaning. Both true working as one. . Historically after the temporal as that seen. And spiritual the eternal, not seen (2 Corinthians 4:18)

The parable in Luke 18 would represent a Judge who was not a respecter of persons or unjust in his decisions . His word is law and he is of one mind and always does whatsoever his soul pleases. The widow as the up coming of bride of Christ as a new creation is in respect to the mention of a city which is also a word to represent the bride of Christ. In effect this widow heard the knocking of a opportunity he would have mercy on her drawing her to him and he did not cast her out..

Because "this widow" troubled Christ, as the Judge as his voice of opportunity knocked on the door of her newly created heart he does avenge her sin forgiving her as she passed from death to life. . I believe a picture of the gospel

The Holy Spirit compares this widow to the elect in verse 7 His bride does cry day and night unto him. As David said in the psalms' , When she wakes he is still their. .
The parable is about a literal widow, not the bride of Christ. There is nothing about her newly created heart in the parable. The judge is contrasted with God, not representative of Him.

At least this one is a parable and not narrative history.

Your insistence that adding to Scripture is very bad, and your adding to Scripture repeatedly in your comments, is concerning. I wonder if you see what you're doing.

Mar 28, 2016
The parable is about a literal widow, not the bride of Christ. There is nothing about her newly created heart in the parable. The judge is contrasted with God, not representative of Him.

At least this one is a parable and not narrative history.

Your insistence that adding to Scripture is very bad, and your adding to Scripture repeatedly in your comments, is concerning. I wonder if you see what you're doing.
It only adds or adheres to scripture if one believes. I am not asking you to believe my opinion as a private interpretation everyman has one like fingerprints. .

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Dino, give up being bible police please if garee wants to riff on about everything being metaphor then let him, its kinda gnostic ideas but those of us not gnostic or seeing the spiritual in everything may not always agree.

If you from a hebrew background you are going to see things that people who dont know hebrew will see. The same with kjv readers we will get the meaning that others who dont read the kjv miss.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Dino, give up being bible police please if garee wants to riff on about everything being metaphor then let him, its kinda gnostic ideas but those of us not gnostic or seeing the spiritual in everything may not always agree.
I get your point, though Garee and I have been interacting longer than you've been on this site. I do make a point of not responding to everything he writes.

If you from a hebrew background you are going to see things that people who dont know hebrew will see. The same with kjv readers we will get the meaning that others who dont read the kjv miss.[/QUOTE]
The first part is true. The second part is arrogant and divisive. Did you intend that, or did it just come across like that?

Mar 28, 2016
I get your point, though Garee and I have been interacting longer than you've been on this site. I do make a point of not responding to everything he writes.

If you from a hebrew background you are going to see things that people who dont know hebrew will see. The same with kjv readers we will get the meaning that others who dont read the kjv miss.
The first part is true. The second part is arrogant and divisive. Did you intend that, or did it just come across like that?[/QUOTE]

Directed to Lanolin...What would going to see things that people who don't know Hebrew will see, mean? What does Hebrew background mean? God is not Hebrew . He opened communication through all the nations of the world as a sign again those who refuse to believe God. He is not a man as us.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Wha?
Just an observation I could have used any bible version its just the one that I know. Dont be so offended!

Mar 28, 2016

Does seeking after another understanding that comes along side as a parable to give another kind of understanding (literal and spiritual) coming from the same author, does it equal Gnosticism ?

Why did Christ hide the spiritual understanding from natural man in parables which without he spoke not?? What was the lesson? How would searching them out benefit those who believe?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Wha?
Just an observation I could have used any bible version its just the one that I know. Dont be so offended!
Okay... all good then. I'm not offended.

S

Scribe

I think of how a widows too old to work can have here home taken or her property taken if she cannot pay taxes every year. Maybe I am wrong about that but I think this is they way the law works. Does not seem fair. How is she going to pay taxes if she is old and cannot work? I did not google this for accuracy. Maybe there is a law to protect widows or something.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think of how a widows too old to work can have here home taken or her property taken if she cannot pay taxes every year. Maybe I am wrong about that but I think this is they way the law works. Does not seem fair. How is she going to pay taxes if she is old and cannot work? I did not google this for accuracy. Maybe there is a law to protect widows or something.
Is this like death duties or something or maybe maintaining a house and having to pay rates, or rents.
If your spouse dies then everything changes I would imagine with dealing with property. There is a special govt benefit for widows in my country, one of my aunts is a widow but her husband died young so shes still young can work, and her boys were in their teens at the time. They didnt have to sell their house or anything, it seems she gets by, maybe had insurance or something. Also because her husband knew he was dying of cancer, he provided or had a will. And of course our family looked out for her but she wasnt really needy.

But there are many widows in other circumstances where that was not sorted. Thats why its important to have a will if youve got a family.