Dictionary game

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Enchiridion is a Late Latin term (derived from the Greek word ἐγχειρίδιον (enkheiridion)) referring to a small manual or handbook. Some notable enchiridia include: Enchiridion of Epictetus, a short manual of Stoic ethical advice compiled by Arrian (2nd century) ;

'Quizzity'
Imma guess inborn inquisitiveness.

hmm...from what I could find "strangeness, oddness" Seemingly a childlike curiosity of something that is "strange/odd" if I had to "feel" the word.

It is interesting that quizzical (which I was trying to use when guessing) doesn't really capture the essence except in the rarer sense (which I didn't realize it did) quizzical was always hard to figure out what it meant in a book lol. Other than eccentric.

I appreciate this word as it could be used to describe an anomaly but I like the fact that, to the Lord it is not. It's how he made it to be :)

Hmm, would like to follow that up with a related term but other than weird I can't think of anything cool enough...

So I'll just go with something we all have to deal with.

Pecuniary.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Pecuniary
1. Consisting of or relating to money
2. Law (of an offence) involving a monetary penalty

Mammon

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Pecuniary
1. Consisting of or relating to money
2. Law (of an offence) involving a monetary penalty

Mammon
Hehe I was trying to create a combo word to summarize mammon last night but gave up...pernicious pennies?

Money as a love/idol/lust/object of worship. Antithetical to our walk as believers...set up against the image (of yeshua) that we are called to bear :)

Pernicious.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Hehe I was trying to create a combo word to summarize mammon last night but gave up...pernicious pennies?

Money as a love/idol/lust/object of worship. Antithetical to our walk as believers...set up against the image (of yeshua) that we are called to bear :)

Pernicious.
adjective. causing insidious harm or ruin; ruinous; injurious; hurtful: pernicious teachings; a pernicious lie. deadly; fatal: a pernicious disease. Obsolete. evil; wicked.

'Snollygoster'

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
adjective. causing insidious harm or ruin; ruinous; injurious; hurtful: pernicious teachings; a pernicious lie. deadly; fatal: a pernicious disease. Obsolete. evil; wicked.

'Snollygoster'
snol·ly·gos·ter ˈsnälēˌɡästər
noun
noun snollygoster plural noun snollygosters

1. a shrewd, unprincipled person, especially a politician.

Realia :sneaky:

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
snol·ly·gos·ter ˈsnälēˌɡästər
noun
noun snollygoster plural noun snollygosters

1. a shrewd, unprincipled person, especially a politician.

Realia :sneaky:
Objects and material from everyday life;Using realia helps to make English lessons memorable by creating a link between the objects and the word or phrase they represent. Realia are physical objects that are related to the target culture. Realia refers to objects or items from real life , which are used in the classroom to illustrate and teach vocabulary

'Mondegreen'

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Objects and material from everyday life;Using realia helps to make English lessons memorable by creating a link between the objects and the word or phrase they represent. Realia are physical objects that are related to the target culture. Realia refers to objects or items from real life , which are used in the classroom to illustrate and teach vocabulary

'Mondegreen'
mon·de·green ˈmändəɡrēn
noun
noun mondegreen plural noun mondegreens

1. a misunderstood or misinterpreted word or phrase resulting from a mishearing of the lyrics of a song.

Escot 4-scratch_chin.gif

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Escot Ee-skot
noun
Electronic version of a man or woman of Scottish origin.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Do you have a word for us to learn?
Well I did give a rather obscure word that is not used in most dictionaries (escot). Here is Merriam-Webster's def.

History and Etymology for escot

Anglo-French escoter, from escot contribution, of Germanic origin; akin to Old Norse skot contribution, shot.

Let's try a more common one: Capote

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Well I did give a rather obscure word that is not used in most dictionaries (escot). Here is Merriam-Webster's def.

History and Etymology for escot

Anglo-French escoter, from escot contribution, of Germanic origin; akin to Old Norse skot contribution, shot.

Let's try a more common one: Capote
: a usually long and hooded cloak or overcoat ;
Truman 1924–1984 American writer

'Ataraxia'

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
: a usually long and hooded cloak or overcoat ;
Truman 1924–1984 American writer

'Ataraxia'
Imperturbability, sereneness, calm.

Interesting as it seems to be an almost "nirvana" for Epicureans and Stoics. I can see how this would be the case. Or the ideal state for a soldier entering battle. ~Wikipedia.

Hootenanny (was one of my favorite words circa 9 years old ;) )

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Imperturbability, sereneness, calm.

Interesting as it seems to be an almost "nirvana" for Epicureans and Stoics. I can see how this would be the case. Or the ideal state for a soldier entering battle. ~Wikipedia.

Hootenanny (was one of my favorite words circa 9 years old ;) )
hoot·en·an·ny ˈho͞otnˌanē
noun
noun hootenanny plural noun hootenannies

1. an informal gathering with folk music and sometimes dancing.

Lagan

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
hoot·en·an·ny ˈho͞otnˌanē
noun
noun hootenanny plural noun hootenannies

1. an informal gathering with folk music and sometimes dancing.

Lagan
goods thrown into the sea with a buoy attached so that they may be found again

specifically goods that can be recovered again after being lost.

Quite interesting because treasure hunting is definitely something that a worthy pursuit in my book as a hobby.

hmm... Lachrymose

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
goods thrown into the sea with a buoy attached so that they may be found again

specifically goods that can be recovered again after being lost.

Quite interesting because treasure hunting is definitely something that a worthy pursuit in my book as a hobby.

hmm... Lachrymose
lach·ry·mose ˈlakrəˌmōs ˈlakrəˌmōz
adjective
adjective lachrymose

1. tearful or given to weeping.
    • inducing tears; sad.
    • tragic sad poignant heart-rending tear-jerking moving melancholy depressing plaintive mawkish sentimental soppy

Pelisse

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
lach·ry·mose ˈlakrəˌmōs ˈlakrəˌmōz
adjective
adjective lachrymose

1. tearful or given to weeping.
    • inducing tears; sad.
    • tragic sad poignant heart-rending tear-jerking moving melancholy depressing plaintive mawkish sentimental soppy

Pelisse
Was thinking of a cross between petticoat and valise somehow.

Either a hungarian military uniform worn by "hussars" which was a calvary regiment. Essentially a cloak worn over the shoulder to prevent sword cuts.

OR Ladies fashion in 19th century Europe, which looks more like a cloak.

I read a historical fiction novel once about the civil war and one of the characters joined an army group called "Malcomb's hussars" so now I have a little bit of context lol.

hmm...

Choleric.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018

Either a hungarian military uniform worn by "hussars" which was a calvary regiment. Essentially a cloak worn over the shoulder to prevent sword cuts.

I read a historical fiction novel once about the civil war and one of the characters joined an army group called "Malcomb's hussars" so now I have a little bit of context lol.

hmm...

Choleric.
Bad-tempered or irritable; also a personality type--Choleric and Choleric Compatibility. Initially, Choleric men and women are not drawn to each other, but there is no dislike either. ... Choleric people are very savvy and they like someone who is equally competent and focused. They also want someone they could talk with about their common interests.

'Petrichor'

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org

hmm...

Choleric.
You left out the fur lining or edging
pe·lisse pəˈlēs
noun
noun pelisse plural noun pelisses
  1. a woman's cloak with armholes or sleeves, reaching to the ankles.
    • a fur-lined cloak, especially as part of a hussar's uniform.
    • pelisse
      noun
      pe·lisse | \ pə-ˈlēs , pe-\
      Definition of pelisse

1: a long cloak or coat made of fur or lined or trimmed with fur
      2: a woman's loose lightweight cloak with wide collar and fur trimming

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Bad-tempered or irritable; also a personality type--Choleric and Choleric Compatibility. Initially, Choleric men and women are not drawn to each other, but there is no dislike either. ... Choleric people are very savvy and they like someone who is equally competent and focused. They also want someone they could talk with about their common interests.

'Petrichor'
pet·ri·chor ˈpeˌtrīkôr
noun
noun petrichor
  1. a pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather.

Sedulous :cool: