Did Jesus ever tell us that we no longer need to keep the law of Moses?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

DeighAnn

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Jun 11, 2019
sorry, cut myself off.

and in the presence of Moses ( the Law ) and Elijah ( the Prophets ), said of the Son " this is my beloved Son. Hear Him"

this elevates and separates Christ" s words ( the Words in Red ) above all other Scripture.

care to comment, or was the tone too rough for you?
I am going to go with rough for me

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Answer me this first, because it will answer your question to me. What is Sabbath?
Sabbath was commanded to Israel as a time of rest and worship. very specific instructions were give to them, and any non-jews living among them were commanded to keep them , or face the death penalty ( as in the man caught gathering sticks )'

ok. now what?

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019
Sabbath was commanded to Israel as a time of rest and worship. very specific instructions were give to them, and any non-jews living among them were commanded to keep them , or face the death penalty ( as in the man caught gathering sticks )'

ok. now what?
I REST EVERYDAY in the LORD. You can't hear me and it really is so sad. YOU keep saying I am under the law. I keep telling you, I am not under the law. I am under the New Covenant. The law that Moses was given by God and written in stone ..............has been abolished It has been replaced. Changed and replaced. NO ONE is under the law anymore. IT NO LONGER EXISTS. It was taken away. That is why it is called OLD. It had to be taken away for the new to come in. YOU are arguing over something that no longer exists no matter how much you want it to so you can argue about it. IT IS GONE. NO ONE is under it. NO ONE CAN BE. IT IS NO MORE. If you want it back you are going to go have to talk to God and get HIM to change His will. I know you wont hear this and it breaks my heart.

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019
There but for the Grace of God go I. Glory to God.

U

UnderGrace

I REST EVERYDAY in the LORD. You can't hear me and it really is so sad. YOU keep saying I am under the law. I keep telling you, I am not under the law. I am under the New Covenant. The law that Moses was given by God and written in stone ..............has been abolished It has been replaced. Changed and replaced. NO ONE is under the law anymore. IT NO LONGER EXISTS. It was taken away. That is why it is called OLD. It had to be taken away for the new to come in. YOU are arguing over something that no longer exists no matter how much you want it to so you can argue about it. IT IS GONE. NO ONE is under it. NO ONE CAN BE. IT IS NO MORE. If you want it back you are going to go have to talk to God and get HIM to change His will. I know you wont hear this and it breaks my heart.
Agree, but what is the point of contention then?

May 1, 2019
In these discussion people lose sight of its centre.
Loving God with everything we are, and loving our neighbour as ourselves.

It sounds like some seem to want to claim this is impossible.
Did Peter, John and Paul not have the blessing of God and call us to do these very things?

Did they not all have struggles yet overcame in faith?

So the spirit which speaks against love speaks against God.

I have found some desperately claim talking about love is a cover for corruption and deception.
On this basis Jesus was corrupt and deceiving.

It is true the world betrays the love we are born with, and it is this betrayal we use as an excuse
to sin and hurt others. So we should respond in repentance and sorrow, that we are guilty of betrayal
of the very love Jesus gives us, and we need to learn how to love through and in Him.

The folk who oppose this will use words like drivel, false teaching, dooming people to hell, being
possessed or inspired by evil spirits. Now this is very odd, because no believer can talk against love
because God is love. But this is love with boundaries, limits, care, holiness, justice, truth and honesty.
This is not love betrayed or vulnerable people exploited, or sexual seduction of the innocent. And it is
true many have used the aspiration of love to destroy and abuse others, but these are people who have
been corrupted by needs, and use the weakness of others for their own ends.

Jesus calls us to know people and help build them up as brothers and sisters, parents and children, in purity
and holiness, knowing we are an eternal people, the elect walking in the Kingdom.

Thank You

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
2. Jesus changed the Mosaic law by cutting it into pieces, some of the laws and statutes and ordinances were made obsolete by nailing them to the Cross. These are ALL the Blood laws. Instead of us having year after year after year sacrificing animals for the covering of our sins, JESUS, THE PERFECT LAMB OF GOD did it THE ONE FINAL TIME GOD WAS EVER GOING TO REQUIRE it because GOD doesn't want our sacrifice, He wants our love, and I love Him with all my heart and soul above all, everything, everyone.
Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Where in the bible does it say that the Lord Jesus cut the law into pieces and got rid of some of it but kept your favorite parts??

So your contention is that the Lord Jesus fulfilled some of the law but not all. He left some of it for you to fulfill.

But this is purely in your imagination and the imagination of the legalist and judaizer.

The Lord said not one jot or tittle shall pass from the law until ALL was fulfilled. So if some of the laws and statutes were made obsolete then ALL were made obsolete. If parts were NOT made obsolete then none is made obsolete.

One or the other. The Law is not made for a person to pick and choose which are their favorites and which are inconvenient. Either come to Christ all the Way or not. Don't try to mix Judaism with Christianity because they don't mix. See Acts 15, again...

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019
Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Where in the bible does it say that the Lord Jesus cut the law into pieces and got rid of some of it but kept your favorite parts??

So your contention is that the Lord Jesus fulfilled some of the law but not all. He left some of it for you to fulfill.

But this is purely in your imagination and the imagination of the legalist and judaizer.

The Lord said not one jot or tittle shall pass from the law until ALL was fulfilled. So if some of the laws and statutes were made obsolete then ALL were made obsolete. If parts were NOT made obsolete then none is made obsolete.

One or the other. The Law is not made for a person to pick and choose which are their favorites and which are inconvenient. Either come to Christ all the Way or not. Don't try to mix Judaism with Christianity because they don't mix. See Acts 15, again...
Do you read the Bible? Ask your buddies.

E

eternally-gratefull

Do you read the Bible? Ask your buddies.
And remember, I was the one judged last night.. But this lady can make as many comments like this as she wants, and not a word.

We can see how things roll..

And not one comment on someone bearing false witness all day..lol

Love the lawyers who will not repent when they are wrong.

Dec 12, 2013
And remember, I was the one judged last night.. But this lady can make as many comments like this as she wants, and not a word.

We can see how things roll..

And not one comment on someone bearing false witness all day..lol

Love the lawyers who will not repent when they are wrong.
Well you know they are not like that sinner over there.........they are like Barney.....Special

E

eternally-gratefull

Well you know they are not like that sinner over there.........they are like Barney.....Special
I am still waiting for one of them to answer what part the moral law has in helping us become christlike. Still no answer

Dec 12, 2013
I am still waiting for one of them to answer what part the moral law has in helping us become christlike. Still no answer
There is no answer...because that which condemns (the law) will never justifiy and or make more Christlike......it is a SCHOOLMASTER....not the KING OF Kings........

U

UnderGrace

Is this the focus of the disagreement?

I have read a good chunk of the thread but some responses are not clear on Sabbath etc.,

E

eternally-gratefull

There is no answer...because that which condemns (the law) will never justifiy and or make more Christlike......it is a SCHOOLMASTER....not the KING OF Kings........
Well it is the king of kings, by definition it shows his perfect character, and our example. Of course, the only way, is perfection.

Anything less falls short. That is why paul says if your gonna follow one, your INDEBTED to follow all.. You can’t pick and chose

Dec 12, 2013
Well it is the king of kings, by definition it shows his perfect character, and our example. Of course, the only way, is perfection.

Anything less falls short. That is why paul says if your gonna follow one, your INDEBTED to follow all.. You can’t pick and chose
That is why I say...that which condemns and points to Christ cannot make us Christlike........NO ONE keeps it, will keep it or has kept it other that Jesus and we CANNOT get any more righteous than the righteousness of Christ imputed by faith WITHOUT the deeds/works the law

E

eternally-gratefull

Is this the focus of the disagreement?

I have read a good chunk of the thread but some responses are not clear on Sabbath etc.,
Sabbath is a new topic.

They insist they are not preaching the law for salvation so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt,, that leaves only one thing left And that is our walk and becoming more christlike.

E

eternally-gratefull

That is why I say...that which condemns and points to Christ cannot make us Christlike........NO ONE keeps it, will keep it or has kept it other that Jesus and we CANNOT get any more righteous than the righteousness of Christ imputed by faith WITHOUT the deeds/works the law
As I said last night (and drew the anger of at least one) they have to confess. The standard is perfection. Anything less falls short. And brings wrath (cursed is the one....)

K

Karraster

I'm not a law-keeper, but I still haven't found a single piece of evidence -- in the Gospels -- that Jesus ever told us to stop keeping the Law. Should we rely solely on what Paul said?
You haven't found it because it's not there. Paul does not contradict Christ, don't know why people say/imply that. Remember what Peter said of Paul's letters?:

some things are difficult to be understood, which the ignorant and unestablished distort to their own destruction, as also the other Scriptures.
17Therefore beloved, knowing this beforehand, you beware, lest you should fall from the own steadfastness, having been led away by the error of the lawless.

Ignorant in what? Unestablished in what? Scriptures! What scriptures? Why the only ones they had of course, the Torah. Do not be led away by the error of the lawless! Pretty clear to me.