Did Jesus ever tell us that we no longer need to keep the law of Moses?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

DeighAnn

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Jun 11, 2019
Because you are given righteousness without works, does that mean you should have no acts? And if your righteousness with out acts is up against righteousness with acts and our linen is made up of our righteous acts are those who choose to do none going to be naked as a jay bird while I am walking around in my nice new wardrobe?

May 1, 2019
I understand why he used the term gaslighted.

I think in this forum, and I am definitely not the first to notice this, there is a group of participants who share very similar doctrinal views. They tend to gang up against anyone who offers a different perspective thru using negative words like "baseless, you are preaching a false doctrine, I am not sure you are really saved", and so on and so forth. They also tend to like one another's post.

In the end, this forum sometimes feels like an echo chamber, and I understand that can be discouraging to others who want to share different viewpoints.
Echo chamber?....is that similar to the Roman Coloseium?

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
How many daughters do you have?
I don't have any daughters.
Since you showed an interest, if I did have a daughter I wouldn't want her required to marry her rapist.

Deuteronomy 22: 28. If a man find a lady who is a virgin, who is not pledged to be married, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; 29. then the man who lay with her shall give to the lady's father fifty [shekels] of silver, and she shall be his wife, because he has humbled her; he may not put her away all his days.

Would this be one of the moral laws?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that in ancient Israel once a girl reached puberty she wasn't allowed out of the house unless accompanied by several male members of her family. Or married off as soon as possible.

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019
Since you showed an interest, if I did have a daughter I wouldn't want her required to marry her rapist.

Deuteronomy 22: 28. If a man find a lady who is a virgin, who is not pledged to be married, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; 29. then the man who lay with her shall give to the lady's father fifty [shekels] of silver, and she shall be his wife, because he has humbled her; he may not put her away all his days.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that in ancient Israel once a girl reached puberty she wasn't allowed out of the house unless accompanied by several male members of her family. Or married off as soon as possible.
You remember what Dinahs brothers did don't you?

May 1, 2019

You mean no prom or night clubs?

Soundl like they put a lot of effort into keeping their daughters pure! Do you think they were too extreme?

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
Is it good or is it evil to take

Let's take a step back and see if we can meet in the middle. I am going to exaggerate to make a point. You no law, me moses law.

In steps Jesus, you are getting rules etched into your heart and mind love God, don't even think another God, don't steal, murder,... Me I am getting these laws like you are quoting up to erased from my list of rules to follow and I am getting the same stuff on my heart as you are.

I really love God and I love the Comforter He sent to me, AND I like the stuff written on my heart. Who are you?
I'm not sure if I'm following you or not. In the example, which I understand is hypothetical, you're saying that a Christian would start out with the entire law of Moses written on their heart, and then bit by bit parts of it would be erased?

I don't understand the last part of your post about
Who are you?

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
No. And here is the last thing I will share about my personal life because I feel it is an important point. My husband died of Prostate Cancer 7 months after they found him in stage 4 because he would not go get a rectal exam, even though he started getting up in the middle of the night to pee. No sorry. Not for me, not for him.
That's cool if you don't want to talk about your personal life anymore.

I can't tell from your post if your marriage was a happy one or not. If it was happy, praise God! If it was unHappy, I extend my sympathy, and I'm sad if you were pressured into it.

If it's any comfort, I've heard there is very little difference in life expectancy between treated or untreated prostate cancer.

U

UnderGrace

So! Step out, and be ready for follow up questions while I corral you into a doctrinal corner and pummel you! Does that tactic sound familiar?! :unsure: C'mon you know I love you!
If you have correct doctrine you should be able to defend it from scripture that is my view.

Isn't that the whole point of the discussion?

I have been pummeled I survived, I lean towards partial-preterism not exactly accepted on this site :D

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
Oh yes! They are very upset. Of course, this is prior to Israel being given the law in the desert.

What the sun's do is in excess of what is prescribed in the law

They kill all the men of the city and
Genesis 34: 28. They took their flocks, their herds, their donkeys, that which was in the city, that which was in the field, 29. and all their wealth. They took captive all their little ones and their wives, and took as plunder everything that was in the house.

Maybe this is why the law sets the limit at 50 shekels or a standard wedding dowry depending on the situation.

E

eternally-gratefull

Not yet :)
Why would I need the moral code when I have Him? Baffling
Basically it comes across as Jesus is not enough.:(
Well like I already proved anyone can appear to follow the moral code by the letter and still not Be anything like Christ it is a false identifier

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
I think it's interesting to note too that in that culture females are thought of as a financial asset of the father or husband.

May 1, 2019
If you have correct doctrine you should be able to defend it from scripture that is my view.

I have been pummeled I survived, I lean towards partial-preterism not exactly accepted on this site :D

Partial-Preterism...not sure I know exactly what that means. I do know of preterism, I have an email subscription to The International Preterist Association, and no I don't do it to pick on them or to find ammunition to "Pummel" them. Not my thing. I want to learn from them! And yes, I have learned from them. I'm not a Preterist...but I also don't rule out coming into deeper understanding as I Seek-Knock-ask.

I would be curious to know what exactly you mean by partial-Preterist. Feel free to private message me if you wish to keep it out of the public forum. I'm not a member or I would start one for you. Honestly, I would welcome your information! With zero criticisms!

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
You mean no prom or night clubs?

Soundl like they put a lot of effort into keeping their daughters pure! Do you think they were too extreme?
Putting a lot of effort into keeping your daughter pure is not in itself extreme.
But requiring her to marry her rapist would be, in my opinion. And I think that would be in accordance with the law that is written on my heart.

May 1, 2019
Oh yes! They are very upset. Of course, this is prior to Israel being given the law in the desert.

What the sun's do is in excess of what is prescribed in the law

They kill all the men of the city and
Genesis 34: 28. They took their flocks, their herds, their donkeys, that which was in the city, that which was in the field, 29. and all their wealth. They took captive all their little ones and their wives, and took as plunder everything that was in the house.

Maybe this is why the law sets the limit at 50 shekels or a standard wedding dowry depending on the situation.
\\

Yes, and on his deathbed, their father Jacob curses Simeon and Levi's anger ;

Gen 49:5-7 NIV "Simeon and Levi are brothers— their swords are weapons of violence. (6) Let me not enter their council, let me not join their assembly, for they have killed men in their anger and hamstrung oxen as they pleased. (7) Cursed be their anger, so fierce, and their fury, so cruel! I will scatter them in Jacob and disperse them in Israel.

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019
I'm not sure if I'm following you or not. In the example, which I understand is hypothetical, you're saying that a Christian would start out with the entire law of Moses written on their heart, and then bit by bit parts of it would be erased?

I don't understand the last part of your post about
Who are you?
Poorly written on my part. Jesus brings the two extremes and meets them in the middle.

Here is my problem with the "Spirit Led Life"

1. If Gods people could exist without Gods Law, He wouldn't have it. He didn't have it, then He did. Now that Satan and his evil spirits are on their way and God is going to say this is a great time to just let my people be just spirit led If that worked no one would need to read the Word.

2 How do you know Whos Spirit you are being led by.

3 If you really love God, you love His laws because they are good and God is good and you love God and you love God as not only your Creator, and Savior, and Father but your government, your society rules,

You know, I erase a lot more than I ever send. I really can be funny, but I thank God I can see that others wouldn't think so

May 1, 2019
Putting a lot of effort into keeping your daughter pure is not in itself extreme.
But requiring her to marry her rapist would be, in my opinion. And I think that would be in accordance with the law that is written on my heart.
Until you read the written law and meditate on it you will fall short of all the wise council that is available to you. You don't get to say "Hey Holy Spirit, I know it's written, but you tell me! God is efficient and He knows you can read! There are pearls there that you will not receive any other way. Like it or not that's the way it is! You may have fewer questions and better answers if you do!

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019

Is that Pre trib?