Did Jesus ever tell us that we no longer need to keep the law of Moses?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Eli12

Jul 3, 2019
Deu 23:14 (ESV) Because the LORD your God walks in the midst of your camp, to deliver you and to give up your enemies before you, therefore your camp must be holy, so that he may not see anything indecent among you and turn away from you.

There is not such a thing as having God caught by the handle.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
You keep saying this and your wrong and in fact it is a cop out

You have a complex and it is sad that anyone who disagrees with you you think hates gods law

I love gods law

Ps. When are you going to show me where the law in in context of John 6
You can not keep the law. If you think you can, your as misguided as the pharisee who thought they could.

No one can keep the law. Thats why Christ had to come remove the curse of the law from us, Because we can not keep it.
I do not believe the statement "I love gods law" because of the above statement.
The law does not represent Gods wisdom or heart, it is just to show mans sin, and condemns him.
In this theology the law is a curse that Jesus has freed us from, so we do not have to obey it
anymore.

But in these discussions it is hard to say you love God if you hate the very thing that expresses
His heart and His work in mans lives.

The reason I love Gods law is because it is so balanced and righteous.
Today in our modern world with resources our response to rule breaking can change, because
we can deal with the causes and provide suitable alternative treatments and environments
that wil reduce and modify behaviour.

I remember a few days ago the following
The workers preach love, But they hate love.

Love fulfills the law. But they want to put you back un law

They demand you love as God loved, yet will tell you God is so weak in love

1. He can not sustain you
2. He will not keep you saved if you do not live up
3. His love (which he claims is unconditional) is actually conditional

When someone comes to you and claims love is conditional (gods love) then run from them, because they do nto understand love, and thus their truth is no truth at all.
This is so lost thinking.
The law of Christ is love of God and love of your neighbour as yourself.

It is like they regard love as a burden and impossible. It declares their own blindness
and spiritual bankcruptcy to suggest this is true, and by loving we do not fulfil the law,
when this is exactly what Pauls says is the reality.

May 1, 2019
Some of these folk do not understand joy of seeing Gods law and its justice.
Hard hearts always lock out love and purity. I know some guys on forums if
they could would do others real harm, yet they do not see this might deny the
very beliefs they claim to hold so dear.

Maybe their instant solutions to everything blind them to its failure and emptiness,
because we miss they have a sinking ship and are happy just to plug the holes, as long
as they think it is not sunk, all smiles.

When a child is in pain, you cannot but respond. These guys seem capable to deny everything
until the pain kicks in, and then everything shifts, as if nothing was different.

I have zero confidence these guys know how to present purity and holiness.
The priests in the temple could be cleansed and serve God, yet believers cannot do better with
the cross and Jesus's blood and body along with His teaching. Paul says we are Gods Holy temple,
but in their eyes this is impossible. Paul was impure except he said we should live a pure life,
Peter was not holy except he said we should live a holy life.

Unbelief denies Gods word and denies His power to achieve that which He has promised because
of their past experience. Ironic when experience is claimed to mean nothing and Gods word
everything. It suggests the opposite is actually in place in their lives, their words do not match
up with what they are doing. God bless you

You are so right concerning their blindness to the character of God. Somewhere in the process something happened. It is an undeniable truth supported by scripture that His people would Love and keep his laws. And since scripture declares that the only way to Love, Know/have fellowship with Jesus and The Heavenly Father is through a Spirit Led deliberate self education in His commandments and a focus on Keeping them, can we make any determinations on the validity of anyones claims to "Love" God without this?

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
I'm not a law-keeper, but I still haven't found a single piece of evidence -- in the Gospels -- that Jesus ever told us to stop keeping the Law. Should we rely solely on what Paul said?
How are you going to keep the Mosaic Law without the Temple and Levitical Priesthood? “Lawkeepers” are absurd.

E

eternally-gratefull

You are so right concerning their blindness to the character of God. Somewhere in the process something happened. It is an undeniable truth supported by scripture that His people would Love and keep his laws. And since scripture declares that the only way to Love, Know/have fellowship with Jesus and The Heavenly Father is through a Spirit Led deliberate self education in His commandments and a focus on Keeping them, can we make any determinations on the validity of anyones claims to "Love" God without this?
The only people who are blind are those who think they can obey the law

The law demands perfection you were shown this when you tried to say the law makes a thing for unintentional sin. Only to be shown that even unintentional sin requires blood sacrifice for forgiveness

It is one thing to desire righteous living. It is another to think righteous living comes from the law

You think you had a relationship with god BEFORE you were saved. While you were under the curse of the law. If you can not understand how impossible this is how can you expect to understand the law itself you and peter aka follow his steps are two parts of the same mold you think anyone who disagrees with you hates god. And think your experiences prove your right

He can count on the fact I refuse to acknowledge his crap anymore and your almost there you both refuse to answer questions. And when you get pushed you get angry and start attacking

You can not preach obedience when you are living in sin that just makes you hypocrites. We all just pray one day both of you see this fact

DeighAnn

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Jun 11, 2019
How are you going to keep the Mosaic Law without the Temple and Levitical Priesthood? “Lawkeepers” are absurd.
Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Matthew 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Matthew 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Matthew 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

May 1, 2019
I do not believe the statement "I love gods law" because of the above statement.
The law does not represent Gods wisdom or heart, it is just to show mans sin, and condemns him.
In this theology the law is a curse that Jesus has freed us from, so we do not have to obey it
anymore.

But in these discussions it is hard to say you love God if you hate the very thing that expresses
His heart and His work in mans lives.

The reason I love Gods law is because it is so balanced and righteous.
Today in our modern world with resources our response to rule breaking can change, because
we can deal with the causes and provide suitable alternative treatments and environments
that wil reduce and modify behaviour.

I remember a few days ago the following

This is so lost thinking.
The law of Christ is love of God and love of your neighbour as yourself.

It is like they regard love as a burden and impossible. It declares their own blindness
and spiritual bankcruptcy to suggest this is true, and by loving we do not fulfil the law,
when this is exactly what Pauls says is the reality.

Truly hard hitting when you point out the hypocrisy and contradictions in their own arguments!

When someone mentioned the possibility of Trolls it really caught my ear. Fits!!

No Redeemed Spirit FIlled man could let alone would argue against Loving Gods Laws.

May 1, 2019

Do you think your attitude is a fulfillment of the following verse?;

Mat 5:10 NIV Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

E

eternally-gratefull

Do you think your attitude is a fulfillment of the following verse?;

Mat 5:10 NIV Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Do you think you are persecuted because you THINK you are righteous?

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Marcelo said: I'm not a law-keeper, but I still haven't found a single piece of evidence -- in the Gospels -- that Jesus ever told us to stop keeping the Law. Should we rely solely on what Paul said?
Welcome to Christian Chat, UnitedWithChrist! Please, read the original post (on top) again. I said: "I'm not a law keeper".

Basically, my point in this thread is this: The Lord Jesus, in his earthly walk, never told the disciples to stop keeping the law of Moses. Rather, He taught obedience to the Law because the Old Covenant was still in effect. How come Christians don't have to keep those laws?

In my opinion the words of the earthly Jesus are eternal, but with regard to salvation we have to refer to Paul and other apostles. Why? Because salvation by grace became available only after the death and resurrection of the Lord.

Remember that Jesus came for the Jews and Paul preached to the Gentiles?

Paul's words are actually from the risen Christ and they take precedence (for salvation purposes) over the words of the earthly Jesus.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
If we are at agreement? Then, perhaps it might be even more beneficial, should you ask for more "talent."
Or, ask for more "Harvesting Angels."
John 16
23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.
Well I already did that. I asked to be like the Lord Jesus. I asked to have His Strength and His Ability.

His response was "My Grace is Sufficient for you".

Interesting response, wouldn't you say?

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Well I already did that. I asked to be like the Lord Jesus. I asked to have His Strength and His Ability.

His response was "My Grace is Sufficient for you".

Interesting response, wouldn't you say?
Did you hear with your ear, The Lord say My grace is sufficient for you?

What is that mean? He do not give you ability to bear fruit?

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Welcome to Christian Chat, UnitedWithChrist! Please, read the original post (on top) again. I said: "I'm not a law keeper".

Basically, my point in this thread is this: The Lord Jesus, in his earthly walk, never told the disciples to stop keeping the law of Moses. Rather, He taught obedience to the Law because the Old Covenant was still in effect. How come Christians don't have to keep those laws?

In my opinion the words of the earthly Jesus are eternal, but with regard to salvation we have to refer to Paul and other apostles. Why? Because salvation by grace became available only after the death and resurrection of the Lord.

Remember that Jesus came for the Jews and Paul preached to the Gentiles?

Paul's words are actually from the risen Christ and they take precedence (for salvation purposes) over the words of the earthly Jesus.

I believe after Jesus die, some of the law still in effect in different way

For Example do not steal,

In Moses time do not steal follow by punishment, say steal cow, must pay back the cow

Do not steal is still the Will of God now, but new covenant not mention punishment, If we repent and ask the Lord forgiveness, we are forgiven.

I Remember muslim guy say, your Christian religion is encourage people to kill steal etc.

As long as you believe Jesus is God you are forgiven. Why don't you rob the bank.

I say If I repent and ask forgiveness I am forgiven, but how about If police take me to prison.

He Said: say to the police, the King of King forgive me. The police is under the authority of the King of King isn't he?

Yes, but the King of King not tell police to release me.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Here again is a perspective that is critical of anyone who takes Joy in what Jesus has put in our hearts to do.

Many have had negative experiences with the Law. Many proceeded to "keep the Laws" of God from the weakness of their flesh and failed. This is a horrifying experince! Self Doubt, Question ones own Salvation, Humiliation etc.

But the entire promise of God in the OT was for us to "wait fore it" His promise give us His Holy Spirit which would write His Torah/Laws/Teachings/Will on our hearts so that we COULD do the Good Works from a willing heart.

It reminds me of the years before I had a garden and was mostly busy outdoors with other activities. In those days rain was a a hindrance to me. Now that I have a garden, and orchard, a vineyard, berry patches asparagus patches, pecan groves, pasture grasses etc I love the rain! The rain brings Life to everything I do, whereas before it brought setbacks.

This is how the Holy Spirit changes our perspective on the Laws of God! With a willing heart we now delight in His Laws like Kind David did! If you dont beleive he loved Gods Torah read Psalm 119! He was SMITTEN! It is a testimony of what Gods Holy Spirit can do to a willing heart in reference to His Laws! This is what Jesus meant in John 6:27 when he said he would give it to us. Both eternal life and the will to work at it! But similar to the old saying;

Choose a Job You Love, and You Will Never Have To Work a Day in Your Life

So when I speak fondly of His Torah/Teachings, you should know, I'm eaten up wit Love for His Will, Ways, Teachings, requirements, etc. Through the Holy Spirits influence the Torah has gone from a burden to a delight. That is what all men should hope for and is available to all who desire it, and are called!

Bless YHWH, Know and KEEP

SG :)
Its impossible to discuss Christianity, starting with Rest in Christ, with someone who doesn't even understand the First Step that is taken.

Galatians 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Step One - Begin in the Spirit

Those who say what a delight the law is to them and how they love to work at it have NO UNDERSTANDING of the very first step of Christianity.

Familiar with the terms, farce, and mockery? That's what post #3860 is to Christianity.

What did the apostles themselves say to this very thing???

Acts 15:5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

The response;

Acts 15:8-10
8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;

9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

If the silliness in post 3860 was anywhere close to being correct, why didn't the apostles tell their recent converts the things SG has told us???

Why didn't they say that the 10 commandments are an absolute delight because of the Holy Spirits influence?
Why didn't they define it the way SG has attempted to?

They actually defined it the EXACT OPPOSITE of SG. So what is SG pushing here? And why is he diametrically opposed to the teachings of the apostles?

Galatians 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

These are really easy questions and really easy concepts. There is no excuse for twisting scripture into trying to make everything about working at the law unless you just don't understand Christianity.

1 Timothy 1:5-7
5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:
6 From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;
7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
See 2 Corinthians 12:9
9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

This is what God say to Paul, not to you brother

DeighAnn

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Jun 11, 2019
Step One - Begin in the Spirit
I come in the volume of the book. But you are saying "The part of His SPIRIT dwelling within you did not come with that part of the book? His Spirit dwelling in you hasn't told you about what HE did with the Law of Moses? His Spirit dwelling within you hasn't told you anything about the New Covenant His death and blood on the Cross paid for?

10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
They were trying to put the Laws of Moses AND on them, not the laws of the kingdom of God or the law of faith.

THE EXACT SAME MISTAKE THE PHARISEES WERE MAKING THEN PUSHING THE LAW OF MOSES, Same MISTAKE ARE MAKING TODAY,

PUSHING THE LAW OF MOSES TODAY, IS EXACTLY WHAT A TRUE PHARISEE OF TODAY WOULD DO. A JUDAIZER. WHO IS THE REAL PHARISEE AND JUDAIZER? IT IS THE ACCUSER?

Romans 3:31 DO WE THEN MAKE VOID THE LAW THROUGH FAITH?GOD FORBID, YEA, WE ESTABLISH THE LAW