Did Jesus ever tell us that we no longer need to keep the law of Moses?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Yes I absolutely do know that one old covenant went out and a new one came in. IF ONLY everyone could see that.
we do see. the Law is Not DIVIDED . you are now willfully blind to this, the language has been explained to you multiple times, you reject it.

that is a you problem.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Maybe you could help me with my particular dilemma PH.
What "is" it, when it is no longer "faith?"
When one "hears" the voice of God?
When one experiences a "love" so deep, strong and thorough, that it goes right through one? Making one know what is written concerning the "being as a dead man?" Which is a pretty "watered down" version (where one has trouble containing one's own bodily fluids, from just about every orifice), of that which actually transpires within one's own flesh body?
Is that still faith? Or? Is it something else?
If so?
What?
And, who would one be serving?
God?
The Father?
The Son?
All of the above?
None of the above?
Or? Would it be along lines something like this?
Revelation 20
6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years. (?)
Or something like this?
John 3

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (?)

Is it STILL "Faith?"

Or, is it a curse?

1 Peter 2
5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. (?)

Isn't it odd, that some people will only answer questions they wish to answer, and simply "ignore" any questions the don't want to answer?
Yet, these same people DEMAND
an accounting for every SYLLABLE one states from someone who believes something different then they do?
Does this not SEEM odd?
To you?
To anyone?
when you stop questioning or examining to verify something it doesn't mean you stop believing it.

prime numbers are not divisible by anything other than 1 and themselves. i believe it. when i first heard it, i mentally took a list of prime numbers, and for each one tried dividing them by every number less than or equal to half of it. i tested and tried the definition. every time, the definition held. at some point, i stopped trying to test it, and just accepted it as true. that's not unbelief, brother bear, it's faith made complete. ;)

i don't see every post. i used to, when i was more active, which lol coincided with me being basically a shut in, sick, unable to work of attend to my household. some days i have so many notifications i can't look at them all. some days i don't really get a chance to think and to type out. sometimes a post makes me wonder, and gives me pause, and i go off and meditate and examine teaching and read and pray and it's a month before i understand how to respond. i'm not going to pretend i'm some wise & all-knowing guru here and perfectly answer all things, and play it off like i'm too cool and too holy to deign to look at the posts i didn't happen to respond to. truth is, i'm busy alot these days, and even when i have time, i need time to consider and i need to learn so, so many things.
i respond to what i can, what i see, as circumstances allow me time to and as God has given me understanding to. i ask questions that i think are important to ask and a lot of times i really think i ask things that do not have easy answers and maybe no one really has a satisfactory answer to. i ask because they are important questions to ask and because i want you all to think seriously about the answers, and i ask about things i'm truly ignorant about. if anyone thinks i imply something ridiculous by the questions like, God is evil, or the Bible is contradicted, or some other nonsense like that, then it's not me whose implying it but the answer that person thought was the obvious one.
Josh for example. i ask if the power of sin is written in our hearts. he says i am implying the law is sin. that's false. i'm not implying that, but the answer Josh gives to the question implies it. so what do you think is the truth? the truth is that answer that implies the law is sin, is the wrong answer. the answer is not, accuse post -- tho some call him wise to do so -- the answer is, something is wrong with the answer Josh's heart gave, which contradicted scripture. the answer is, find the right answer. the right answer is the one that glorifies Christ. the right answer is the one that agrees everywhere in scripture, not just *mostly* -- because God is holy, and perfect, and His word is perfect, and it is not simple.

i don't demand answers. i just ask what i think are good, relevant questions, and what i desire is that they be considered, even if they are unanswerable. one drop of His blood is enough. it is enough for me that i am able to stand and see His face. it is enough for me that whoever hears my question tries to see the answer that respects the glory of God and magnifies the name of Jesus Christ

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Way to give Christians a bad name. Wonder how many read these and think "I want to be just like them" Cant you just feel the fruit of their spirit. I tell you, yes we can. It isn't pretty, It isn't edible the way it is presented.
A child who is being corrected by its parents, feels the same way you do, but the child would be wrong to say it wasn't loved. They are correcting the child because they DO love it, even though the child isn't feeling the love.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Have you ever thought about the reason their "following the law" wasn't counted for righteousness in the OT? Because they didn't do it in their hearts. Does it give you pause that you are now "doing it with love" but not following the law? MAYBE THE KEY IS TO DO IT HIS WAY FOLLOW "HIS LAW IN LOVE". HE WROTE THEM, THE LAW INSIDE OF US, THERE IS NO ESCAPING THEM. HEART AND MIND. Not 1/2 of what God wants but all of what God wants. We are not talking about things you and I just "made up" THESE are the LAWS of GOD. He spent hundreds of pages of the Book on them. I am thinking that makes them really important.

so what does the sabbath really mean ?

I gave them My sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the LORD made them holy.
(Ezekiel 20:12)
a sign between God & the children of the Sinai covenant that the Lord makes His people holy.

Keep My sabbaths holy, that they may be a sign between us. Then you will know that I am the LORD your God.
(Ezekiel 20:20)

a sign, that we know He is the LORD God Almighty.

how do i '
remember' that He made me holy, and how do i 'keep holy' that He made me holy? how do i know that He is the Lord God? by self imposed behavioral modification according to human willpower?

what does it mean, 'whoever has entered His rest has ceased from his own works' ? just that i subject my flesh to certain restrictions? is that how i come to knowledge of God, by ritual inactivity?

i need to be able to put this together with 'my Father is always working' in a way that doesn't reject the gospel and that doesn't imagine this sign was never given. i need to ask, how does this testify of Christ, and how do i remember and keep holy that truth ?

DeighAnn

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Jun 11, 2019
the fruits of the Sprit are the way . against such there is no Law.
the fruits of the Spirit against such there is no law.

I know you can't follow me so this is for all those who can,

Basic common sense 101. Acquired from the wisdom and knowledge of God. *(the study of the Bible)

If there is NO LAW AGAINST THE FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT, then THERE IS LAW AGAINST THE DEEDS OF THE FLESH.

Why is the law written inside you? Don't look for an answer in this forum, just go ask a bunch of children. You will get many answers yet not one of them will be "so you can ignore them". The actual way is without them. And the reason for that is " they" are one and can not be divided so they are none. WOW.

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019
so what does the sabbath really mean ?

I gave them My sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the LORD made them holy.(Ezekiel 20:12)
but that doesn't really cover it
a sign between God & the children of the Sinai covenant that the Lord makes His people holy.

Keep My sabbaths holy, that they may be a sign between us. Then you will know that I am the LORD your God.(Ezekiel 20:20)
They were under the law and made holy, yes?
a sign, that we know He is the LORD God Almighty.

how do i 'remember' that He made me holy, and how do i 'keep holy' that He made me holy? how do i know that He is the Lord God? by self imposed behavioral modification according to human willpower?
That isn't "how" but does "behavioral modification" by repentance sound good to you?
what does it mean, 'whoever has entered His rest has ceased from his own works' ? just that i subject my flesh to certain restrictions? is that how i come to knowledge of God, by ritual inactivity?
For the sake of argument "I had some homicidal thoughts, Is this not a good time for some certain restrictions on my flesh man?
i need to be able to put this together with 'my Father is always working' in a way that doesn't reject the gospel and that doesn't imagine this sign was never given. i need to ask, how does this testify of Christ, and how do i remember and keep holy that truth ?
My good and faithful SERVANT, not sloth.
"

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019
You don't see it at all, do you? I am just going to forgive and move on.
A child who is being corrected by its parents, feels the same way you do, but the child would be wrong to say it wasn't loved. They are correcting the child because they DO love it, even though the child isn't feeling the love.

May 1, 2019
You're an example.

Thank you for that also and reminding me of the precious wisdom contained in the Book of 1 John and chapter 4.
As well as Corinthians 2:14-16 .

Yes, I'm born again in my spirit and am a new creation by the father's grace. And I know this by God's eternal unchanging word.
I think because Christians are born again and have the mind of Christ that the fruit they bear allows others to reap the blessings therein, and find their way to the light and love of Christ by our example before them.
John 15:10 "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.

The Christian has the mind of Christ. And as such we have the spirit of truth, therefore we are truthful. John 14:17 . We do not bear false witness.Christ is our teacher and therefore we grown through his spirit within us in knowledge and wisdom. John 14:26 Christ is my guide, our guide , and therefore he leads us on the path of righteousness. John 16:13. He gives me, us, insight into things to come, John 16:13 so that we are wise to his plans for us. Series 26

I think a born again Christian who is one with the spirit of Christ , Galatians 3:27, within and is led by that light of truth behave as Christ because we have the mind of Christ. We are kind, merciful, love filled, gentle spoken, and when we judge we use righteous judgment.
We are not harsh, contemptuous, sarcastic, mean spirited, angry. We do not bear false witness, we do not avoid responsibility and turn our wrong onto someone else to bear the burden.

Never once have I done that. All here are my witness. Could they be yours regarding that same charge?

John does not tell me, us, that.
So, let me see, as one who has Christ alive within me.
1. I am not a polytheist but a monotheist. I love and am one with the Father. 2. I do not worship idols nor have any graven images of god's nor goddesses in my home. 3.I do not take the Lord's name in vain. 4. I do cherish the sabbath day as a day of rest and time spent in the word of The great Word. 5. I honor my mom and dad and love them dearly as one of their many offspring made in love and led to love them and Christ with all our hearts. 6. I have never murdered anyone. 7. I have been married for a great many years and have never cheated on my husband. Nor has he cheated on me, ever. 8. I am not a thief. 9. I do not lie to people, nor would I commit perjury in court were I called to testify. 10. I work for a living. I admire what my friends have worked to attain however, that is because I know they work hard to enjoy the little things. I do not covet anything belonging to anyone.

Greetings W,

Nicely stated!
There are many things to discuss concerning our Walk of faith. Personally I find "Faith" to be the connection between Trusting in God and Obedience. Abraham Believed/Trusted what God told him so he Obeyed God. This was Faith. :)

We Trust God, And our Faith compels our obedience to His Order/Will. I am amazed that our God given desire to walk in and observe His ways, commandments, judgments, and whatever statutes and ordinances His Holy Spirit leads us to is so offensive to anyone!

In many ways I see men who claim to be free from the Law to consider themselves perfect, having no need of repentance, eternal, as if they fell for the same line the adversary beguiled Eve with in the garden, as they perceive themselves gods on par with Yahshua. This may be an aspect of Glorification, "we know not yet what we shall be", but for now It is an honor to walk in the Humility that our Risen Lord and Savior Yahshua did when He walked among us.

It has dawned on me that men are free to choose to hear any voice they will concerning obedience to Gods commands or not. As Joshua said so wisely;
Jos 24:15 NIV But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

We know what Joshua meant by "serve"

Jos 1:8 NIV Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

With our miraculous infilling of the Holy Spirit who leads us into ALL TRUTH we can read scripture and immediately receive divine guidance on the will of God concerning matters, and if other men who whisper "surely He didn't say" in our ears we will discern the spirit/s behind those words!

SG:)

PS

Jan 11, 2013
You don't see it at all, do you? I am just going to forgive and move on.
You do not see, that it is the law of the Messiah that is written on the Christians heart and not the law written on tablets of stone.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
I doubt you have had the experience or you would not be banging on about Old Testament law, putting the Messiah to shame.

E

eternally-gratefull

They have eyes but they do not see. They have ears but they do not hear. "9 Whosoever is begotten of God doeth no sin, because his seed abideth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is begotten of God " 1 John 3
I've responded in full to each and every question. Even though you do not like the answers I've given. Proverbs 23.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.
No, You have not given answers. You give a few verses and expect people to interpret what your saying.

So you think you are sinless? Thus you already have achieved glorification? (A simple yes or no will suffice)

(PS) that verse does not literally say we do nto sin, it says we do not live in sin,)

E

eternally-gratefull

Get yourself ready to say this 1000 times as they accuse in all their posts that you "can't have received the gift of salvation and still acknowledge the law' For some reason their brain just can't grasp such an out of this world concept.
He appears to think he is sinless. Do you agree with him? (Or her)

And many people think they are born again, that does not mean a thing.

E

eternally-gratefull

Way to give Christians a bad name. Wonder how many read these and think "I want to be just like them" Cant you just feel the fruit of their spirit. I tell you, yes we can. It isn't pretty, It isn't edible the way it is presented.
You ever read your posts lately. YOu love to accuse, But then you do the very thing you accuse.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
but that doesn't really cover it
They were under the law and made holy, yes?
here's how to pollute the sabbaths:

Yet also I lifted up my hand unto them in the wilderness,
that I would not bring them into the land which I had given them,
flowing with milk and honey, which is the glory of all lands;
Because they despised My judgments, and walked not in My statutes, but polluted My sabbaths:
for their heart went after their idols.
(Ezekiel 20:15-16)
go after idols in your heart.

if God is the One who sanctifies me, what does an idol with respect to my sanctification look like?
what's the opposite of God being the one who sanctifies me?
is it related to this?

You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace!
(Galatians 5:4)
or this?

At the end of the twelve months he was walking about the royal palace of Babylon. The king spoke, saying, “Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for a royal dwelling by my mighty power and for the honor of my majesty?”
(Daniel 4:29-30)
or is it just, you know, don't sacrifice your children to Molech and dance around Ashereh poles?

E

eternally-gratefull

Oh my God, have you not been following this post? The Blood of Christ was shed for the forgiveness of sins. I am sorry people just keep bringing us stuff that isn't said yet posing it as a question. Crazy huh?
Well you do believe salvation can be lost. You preach law is a means to moral living.
Just put two and two together. Its easy to see why people are confused.

E

eternally-gratefull

the fruits of the Spirit against such there is no law.

I know you can't follow me so this is for all those who can,

Basic common sense 101. Acquired from the wisdom and knowledge of God. *(the study of the Bible)

If there is NO LAW AGAINST THE FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT, then THERE IS LAW AGAINST THE DEEDS OF THE FLESH.

Why is the law written inside you? Don't look for an answer in this forum, just go ask a bunch of children. You will get many answers yet not one of them will be "so you can ignore them". The actual way is without them. And the reason for that is " they" are one and can not be divided so they are none. WOW.
So then, should we not be focused ON how we walk in the spirit. And not in the flesh?

And NOT LAWS??

Hence the basic argument in these threads

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
2 Corinthians 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament not of the letter, but of the spirit for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Who follows the letter that killeth? Who follows the Spirit that gives life? You need that letter explanation. I don't.
Galatians 3:10-11
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

When you look back to the 10 commandments to keep them in your own understanding you have placed yourself under the curse. That is the ESSENCE of the letter.

Matthew 11:28-29
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

This is the beginning of starting in the Spirit. It is the END of working at the law in your own understanding.

So you can't have it both ways. Either you have faith in Christ and walk in His Spirit OR you work at the law.

Either you are a Judaizer or you are not.

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

This is an all or nothing statement. You can't have the 10 commandments while saying other parts of the law don't apply. Same as what Paul says in Galatians 3:10

What you can have is Rest in Christ which is the BEGINNING of walking in the Spirit and the BEGINNING of faith in Christ. This faith in Christ is the ONLY thing we have that keeps commandments. It is not our understanding or our strength. It is Christ and the Holy Spirit.

Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.
Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

You can't look back to the law and attempt to work at it in your own understanding and strength if you are Trusting in the Lord and not leaning on your own understanding.

I'm not real sure why Judaizers and Legalists think that it is because they work at the law that is the proof they have faith in God and are walking in His spirit.

I wonder if that is what people who practice Judaism think as well? Must be a fairly common, carnal thought.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
What are you making such a vile accusation against me? Why do YOU INSINUATE I believe that? How can the spirit within you allow that when you know it is a lie? That is how your "spirit" is leading you? I am not feeling the love. I am feeling false accusations because I have defended this before with you so you OWN THE TRUTH. YOU CHOOSE TO do what you do right now.
Its not a vile accusation.

It is what you are saying.

Either have faith in Christ. Or work at the law.

If you work at the law then you by default ARE NOT trusting in Christ. You are trusting in YOU.

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Workers/Judaizers hate it when they can't get everyone to join in their work.

The Pharisees crucified Christ for it.

It is better to definitively know which side you are on. Instead of being on the side of the Pharisees and then pretending to be on the side of Christ as well.

I wonder how many read these posts with TRUE understanding and actually know what it is to have faith in Christ?