Did Jesus ever tell us that we no longer need to keep the law of Moses?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
oh, I am not attacking and defaming Christians. you judeaizers are not Christians.

you see, Christians believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, and then do our best to carry out the New Testament instructional Scripture to walk out that salvation.

you judeaizers confess Jesus, then toss Him aside in favor of keeping the Law and the Sabbath to " obey" what The Father told Moses at Sinai.

you ignore that gentiles never had the Law commanded to them. you ignore the mount of Transfiguration , where the Father elevates and seperates the words of the Son above the Law ( Moses) and the Prophets ( Elijah ).

you ignore while speaking to the greeks in Athens, Paul did NOT appeal to Scripture ( what we call the Old Testament ).

you just ignore and pretend and assume.

we Christians do not assume anything , we receive the Gift by faith.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
oh, I am not attacking and defaming Christians. you judeaizers are not Christians.

you see, Christians believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, and then do our best to carry out the New Testament instructional Scripture to walk out that salvation.

you judeaizers confess Jesus, then toss Him aside in favor of keeping the Law and the Sabbath to " obey" what The Father told Moses at Sinai.

you ignore that gentiles never had the Law commanded to them. you ignore the mount of Transfiguration , where the Father elevates and seperates the words of the Son above the Law ( Moses) and the Prophets ( Elijah ).

you ignore while speaking to the greeks in Athens, Paul did NOT appeal to Scripture ( what we call the Old Testament ).

Yes, thank you.
The Apostle Paul kept the Sabbath.
I see now what spirit compels you.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA

And you are just incapable of actually answering Whispered's post intelligently through the Holy Spirit, so you defame and attack. Very unchrist. Definitely not of HIS Spirit; Love.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
You’re right. Having faith in Jesus makes one an “adopted son”.
Galatians 3:24 - Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. 26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. (y)

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Galatians 3:24 - Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. 26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. (y)
I knew I was right. 😎
I just didn’t know the Scripture. 😊
Thank you for sharing. 🙏

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Exodys 20:8-11 "Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy." God
Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath." Jesus, who was God. (Emmanuel=God with us.)

What spirit do you think it is that leads you to be so condescending and vicious in your remarks toward Christians here? Angrily accusing us and condemning those among us who may indeed choose to do as God beckoned, remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy as that day that sets us apart for holy service to our Creator.

Do you notice the context of that edict? "Remember". It wasn't that the fourth commandment came into being on Sinai. It was that the holiness of that day was recalled into the Decalogue of God on Sinai. A reiteration hearkening back to creation from whence our species came into being, when through God's creation and breath, we became a living soul.
And after our labors, as God after his own, we are given a day of respite from our labors in this world. From working in construction, driving trucks, working in a cubicle world in corporate America, and so forth.
A day when we are able to leave the attentions this world requires us to have toward all its drama so as to make a living, to be distracted by inane nonsense called entertainment on large and small screens, a day when we can escape the troubling drama that garners our attentions. And spend a day in prayer, in worship, in communion with our Father.
Why is that so repellent to you? Why would you charge those who respect that gift from God's grace are, "Judaizers", as if that's a curse word, a slur, meant to demean? When our Lord Jesus was born into a Jewish family and practiced the Jewish faith being God in flesh.

The word, remember, in the fourth command means it predates the commands given in Sinai being God made the seventh day His day of rest after he had created all things in the prior six days. God rested from his creative endeavors.
Genesis 2:3 So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation.
Exodus 31:13 “You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, ‘Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the Lord, sanctify you.

John 17
17 Sanctify them[a] in the truth; your word is truth.
Footnotes:
[a]John 17:17 Greek Set them apart (for holy service to God)

May God bring you peace and open your heart and mind toward His message and peace filled understanding.
God bless and keep you all of your days.
I do not keep Jewish Law because I am not a Jew. Just so you know. You do as you like.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
And you are just incapable of actually answering Whispered's post intelligently through the Holy Spirit, so you defame and attack. Very unchrist. Definitely not of HIS Spirit; Love.
The answer is simple. It was covered in the New Testament. Put simply it was for Jew and Gentile to do as they thought fit, and not for Jews to offend Gentiles and visa-versa. Speaking personally I find the dictatorial attitude of those who follow Old Testament Law most offensive. We are all one in Christ Jesus, (New Testament) we are all saved, those of us who believe and accept Jesus as our saviour, even the Jews are saved, despite how despicabley they vilified him. Then they proceeded to kill all the apostles. The rift still exist to this day and it is about time some people learned what it means to be tolerant of each other. Thank you.

May 1, 2019
The answer is simple. It was covered in the New Testament. Put simply it was for Jew and Gentile to do as they thought fit, and not for Jews to offend Gentiles and visa-versa. Speaking personally I find the dictatorial attitude of those who follow Old Testament Law most offensive. We are all one in Christ Jesus, we are all saved, those of us who believe and accept Jesus as our saviour, even the Jews are saved, despite how despicabley they vilified him. Then they proceeded to kill all the apostles. The rift still exist to this day and it is about time some people learned what it means to be tolerant of each other. Thank you.

Obedience to God is good, when led by the Holy Spirit!

Disobedience to God is bad, This is not led by the Holy Spirit.

The spirit that leads willful disobedience is; Rebelious, defiant, insubordinate, unruly, ungovernable, unmanageable, uncontrollable, turbulent, mutinous, wayward, obstreperous, recalcitrant, refractory, intractable, resistant, dissentient, disaffected, malcontent, etc. etc.

What is important to ask and know for certain is if a mans heart does not migrate towards Gods will/commandments out of desire, but migrates towards a heart attitude that "hates" and "defies" and considers righteous requirements "dictatorial" and offensive then what spirit is leading this attitude? Please be certain. We are seeing some bad fruit from this. :(

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Obedience to God is good, when led by the Holy Spirit!

Disobedience to God is bad, This is not led by the Holy Spirit.

The spirit that leads willful disobedience is; Rebelious, defiant, insubordinate, unruly, ungovernable, unmanageable, uncontrollable, turbulent, mutinous, wayward, obstreperous, recalcitrant, refractory, intractable, resistant, dissentient, disaffected, malcontent, etc. etc.

What is important to ask and know for certain is if a mans heart does not migrate towards Gods will/commandments out of desire, but migrates towards a heart attitude that "hates" and "defies" and considers righteous requirements "dictatorial" and offensive then what spirit is leading this attitude? Please be certain. We are seeing some bad fruit from this. :(
John 6:29: all the righteous requirements anyone ever needs. 😊

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Christ is quoting this:

He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.
(Deuteronomy 8:3)

to Satan, the wisest being ever created, ((OK, you could make an argument vs Solomon)) who at the time does not know who Christ is, and assumes He is only human, and that He can be tempted into sin. Satan fully understands the context.

Deuteronomy 8:3 references this:

In the desert the whole community grumbled against Moses and Aaron. The Israelites said to them, “If only we had died by the Lord’s hand in Egypt! There we sat around pots of meat and ate all the food we wanted, but you have brought us out into this desert to starve this entire assembly to death.”
Then the Lord said to Moses, “I will rain down bread from heaven for you."
(Exodus 16:2-4)
wherein the Israelites accuse God of being an evil & capricious murderer. this is "the lie" of Satan. it is the same lie that Satan is by insinuation giving Jesus telling Him to 'prove' Himself by making stones into bread.

Exodus 16 is before the covenant at Sinai and before the law.
the quail makes them sick and many die. the manna, and the concordant first command of a sabbath ever given in the scripture, is a test to see if they will obey Him - which they fail.

then they receive the law, having repeated the lie of Satan, accusing God of evil, and having been proven to be evil themselves.

Matthew 4 is incredibly complex. it's not there to tell you all to put yourselves under the Sinai covenant; it's there to teach you who Christ is and what is His work.

they did not practice My ordinances, but they rejected My statutes and profaned My Sabbaths, fixing their eyes on the idols of their fathers. I also gave them over to statutes that were not good and ordinances by which they could not live. And I pronounced them unclean through their gifts — the sacrifice of every firstborn in the fire—so that I might devastate them, in order that they would know that I am the LORD.
(Ezekiel 20:24-26)

there is a whole lot more going on here than what's being presented. the scripture is not simple.

I cannot agree with you that there's a lot more going on here then what's being presented. It's being "presented" alright. Just not being understood, as to what it is!
Isaiah 28
9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: (aka rod of iron)
(disclaimer)
Milk babes and stony ground "Christians?" Need NOT apply!

In your quotation of Ezekiel, can you not see in those very verses, that "they" had already "rejected" God's ordinances and statutes, and profaned His Sabbaths.
In "man's mindset" of "What have YOU done lately for "me/us" God?" It's far, far far, easier in doing that which their fathers did, than it is in "turning their backs to their fathers idol worshiping traditions!"
Guess "old habits REALLY die hard", eh?
So God "let 'em make up their own laws!" In essence, handing them a shovel. They "knew" what to do with a "shovel!" DIG! And, so they did! Thinking themselves wise in digging up "new/improved" ways of "pleasing God!" When in all actuality, they were "falling for the SAME LIE, that Eve fell for!"
Genesis 3

4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

In the KJV, I didn't find any references in Exodus 15-17 of the "quail" killing people.

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019
So God "let 'em make up their own laws!" In essence, handing them a shovel. They "knew" what to do with a "shovel!" DIG! And, so they did! Thinking themselves wise in digging up "new/improved" ways of "pleasing God!" When in all actuality, they were "falling for the SAME LIE, that Eve fell for!"
As well as Cain, again trying to please God by doing it his way, and then being wrought when his way didn't please God.Compared to Abel who did it Gods way, and God was well pleased.
God gives us much instruction right out the gate. God tells us to do it My way, please Me. Do it your way, God not pleased. How are we to know Gods way? Example after example in the Volume of the Book.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Isaiah 28
9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: (aka rod of iron)
For with stammering lips and another tongue will He speak to this people.
To whom He said, this is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest;
and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept;
line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little;
that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.
(the next 3 verses)

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019
Matthew 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
Matthew 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
Matthew 22:31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,
Matthew 22:32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.
Matthew 22:33 And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.
Matthew 22:34 But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together.
Revelation 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
Matthew 22:35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Matthew 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Matthew 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Matthew 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

You do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

How do you love with all thy heart and soul and mind? Must know them.

DeighAnn

Jun 11, 2019
The "spirit of adoption" cannot DO that, for which it has been CREATED to do.
One is born (again) in "Eyes of FLESH Love", yet, not "born again of the Spirit!
Could you explain what is meant here?

NayborBear

I already told you. It was written - sin was in the world before the law. God spoke before the world was, for He said, "let there be"

you said:

because sin was, before the law was, it is incorrect that sin implies the law.

did you want to talk about the spiritual things in the law and the prophets, which speak of Christ, or did you want to just play the 'us vs them' and the 'everyone else is wrong' game forever?

it's not supposed to be about us. it's supposed to be about Him.

there is way more going on in Matthew 4. it would be far more useful to look into that than to enjoin the blind bitterness all over this thread already. let the tares grow on their own; they don't need our help.
(egadz PH! I'm only up to Friday at 10:58 PM, in trying to get caught up in these posts! I may never get caught up the rate this thread keeps growing :p)

The problem/s, therefore the conflict/s, come from ones who have accepted Christ, and the everlasting (not eternal) salvation that is a gift. (To which God placed such a conviction on them, as to bring them to Christ.)
And, to some of these? That is well enough! Therefore there is now no condemnation to those in Christ.

These ones in Christ, however, are not the same, as those who were in Christ, but grew (pressed on) as the "Spirit of God" grew in them. Not allowing, nor being allowed, "traditions of man" to make void the "Spirit of God" that was/is in them.

But, rather "going on to the Father" as they confessed Jesus before men. And, placing themselves UNDER "The AUTHORITY of the order of Melchizadek. Thus not only being, and becoming Priests of Christ! But, also Priests of He who sent Christ! Thus, becoming not only a "brother" with Christ! But, a Priest of the Most High, as well! Thus, like Christ, preaching and teaching "the Kingdom."

Thus making the "many that are called", in their displays of sheer numbers, CONDEMN the "few who are chosen." Because of their unbelief, which causes this lack of understanding which is seen, time and time again. In thread after thread. Post after post.

These "many called", fail "proof after proof", from God (not Christ), in their "candidacy" into this "Forever Holy Priesthood."

Jez trying to explain PH, what's going on.

Let the condemnation/s continue, eh? :)

NayborBear

One has to trust their rescuer in order to surrender to him. John 14:1-7 instilled the trust I needed, and the peace of God has been upon me ever since. To God be the glory.
This is good to hear Lightskin!
Then? Let go of Christ! Pick up your cross! And go unto He who sent Christ! (y)(y)

NayborBear

Abiders in the law don’t abide perfectly thus the abiding is moot. Exhibit A is the lack of love displayed all too often from law abiders throughout various posts.
No? You are unable in interpreting "love", by any other definition then what you "deem" love to be.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
.... The problem/s, therefore the conflict/s, come from ones who have accepted Christ, and the everlasting (not eternal) salvation that is a gift. (To which God placed such a conviction on them, as to bring them to Christ.)

And, to some of these? That is well enough! Therefore there is now no condemnation to those in Christ.

These ones in Christ, however, are not the same, as those who were in Christ, but grew (pressed on) as the "Spirit of God" grew in them. Not allowing, nor being allowed, "traditions of man" to make void the "Spirit of God" that was/is in them.

But, rather "going on to the Father" as they confessed Jesus before men. And, placing themselves UNDER "The AUTHORITY of the order of Melchizadek. Thus not only being, and becoming Priests of Christ! But, also Priests of He who sent Christ! Thus, becoming not only a "brother" with Christ! But, a Priest of the Most High, as well! Thus, like Christ, preaching and teaching "the Kingdom."

Thus making the "many that are called", in their displays of sheer numbers, CONDEMN the "few who are chosen." Because of their unbelief, which causes this lack of understanding which is seen, time and time again. In thread after thread. Post after post.

These "many called", fail "proof after proof", from God (not Christ), in their "candidacy" into this "Forever Holy Priesthood."

Jez trying to explain PH, what's going on.

Let the condemnation/s continue, eh? :)
What are you saying, "Not eternal life?"

Joh_3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Joh_6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

Joh_10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Joh_17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Rom_5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Rom_6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Tit_1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

Tit_3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

1Jn_2:25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.

1Jn_5:11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

1Jn_5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

1Jn_5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Jud_1:21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.