Did Jesus ever tell us that we no longer need to keep the law of Moses?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 1, 2019
you are making excuses to delete 2/3 of the law.

to tell you the truth is not to insult you or to be rude; flattery is.

have a nice time. your new friends are currently arriving to help slander me.

Forgive me if you feel slandered. My intention is to, through the scriptures, illuminate the intent of our Redeemer. If it conflicts with your current understanding you have several choices, but you tend to chose one. Even then, no need to become defensive. We all will give account for our choices. In this we all agree I hope.

SG

May 1, 2019
Deuteronomy 6:1
Now these are the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments, which the LORD your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it:

12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Rev_14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Rev_22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Heyjude

Sep 7, 2019
No one is slandering you Post Human. You just seem kind of cynical and your tone isn't very friendly to be honest. I am trying to be friendly am I not? People are just being nice because they are actually respectful nice people (thought of that?) Plenty disagree with me and I have no problem with healthy debate.

If I agreed with you would you call that flattery too? Look maybe if you put your replies like the others do, the thread would get somewhere. And Yahshua quoting Luke 1.6 kjv is not slandering you. How can it be really be slander when its Gods Word he is quoting on the LAW.

Heyjude

Sep 7, 2019
Forgive me if you feel slandered. My intention is to, through the scriptures, illuminate the intent of our Redeemer. If it conflicts with your current understanding you have several choices, but you tend to chose one. Even then, no need to become defensive. We all will give account for our choices. In this we all agree I hope.

SG
I agree with Simple Gardner - no one is trying to slander you and sorry you think that. Can you just explain what you mean then by what you say? For instance, what do you mean I make excuses to delete 2/3 of the law? Why not explain that?

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013
12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Rev_14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Rev_22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Deuteronomy 11:1
Therefore thou shalt love the LORD thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments, always.

Ezekiel 20:19
I am the LORD your God; walk in my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them;

Leviticus 26:3
If ye walk in my statutes, and keep my commandments, and do them;

Psalm 147:19
He sheweth his word unto Jacob, his statutes and his judgments unto Israel.

Nehemiah 10:29
They clave to their brethren, their nobles, and entered into a curse, and into an oath, to walk in God's law, which was given by Moses the servant of God, and to observe and do all the commandments of the LORD our Lord, and his judgments and his statutes;

May 1, 2019

Therefore thou shalt love the LORD thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments, always.

I am the LORD your God; walk in my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them;

They clave to their brethren, their nobles, and entered into a curse, and into an oath, to walk in God's law, which was given by Moses the servant of God, and to observe and do all the commandments of the LORD our Lord, and his judgments and his statutes;

:)

(Lev 18:4 KJV) Ye shall do my judgments, and keep mine ordinances, to walk therein: I am the LORD your God.
(Lev 18:5 KJV) Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the LORD.
(Lev 18:26 KJV) Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you:
(Lev 20:22 KJV) Ye shall therefore keep all my statutes, and all my judgments, and do them: that the land, whither I bring you to dwell therein, spue you not out.
(Lev 25:18 KJV) Wherefore ye shall do my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them; and ye shall dwell in the land in safety.
(Deu 5:1 KJV) And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them.
(Deu 7:11 KJV) Thou shalt therefore keep the commandments, and the statutes, and the judgments, which I command thee this day, to do them.
(Deu 7:12 KJV) Wherefore it shall come to pass, if ye hearken to these judgments, and keep, and do them, that the LORD thy God shall keep unto thee the covenant and the mercy which he sware unto thy fathers:
(Deu 11:1 KJV) Therefore thou shalt love the LORD thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments, alway.
(Deu 26:16 KJV) This day the LORD thy God hath commanded thee to do these statutes and judgments: thou shalt therefore keep and do them with all thine heart, and with all thy soul.
(Deu 26:17 KJV) Thou hast avouched the LORD this day to be thy God, and to walk in his ways, and to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and to hearken unto his voice:
(Deu 30:16 KJV) In that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.
(1Ki 2:3 KJV) And keep the charge of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself:
(1Ki 6:12 KJV) Concerning this house which thou art in building, if thou wilt walk in my statutes, and execute my judgments, and keep all my commandments to walk in them; then will I perform my word with thee, which I spake unto David thy father:
(1Ki 8:58 KJV) That he may incline our hearts unto him, to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and his statutes, and his judgments, which he commanded our fathers.
(1Ki 9:4 KJV) And if thou wilt walk before me, as David thy father walked, in integrity of heart, and in uprightness, to do according to all that I have commanded thee, and wilt keep my statutes and my judgments:
(1Ki 11:33 KJV) Because that they have forsaken me, and have worshipped Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, Chemosh the god of the Moabites, and Milcom the god of the children of Ammon, and have not walked in my ways, to do that which is right in mine eyes, and to keep my statutes and my judgments, as did David his father.
(Psa 119:106 KJV) I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments.
(Eze 20:19 KJV) I am the LORD your God; walk in my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them;
(Eze 36:27 KJV) And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
(Eze 44:24 KJV) And in controversy they shall stand in judgment; and they shall judge it according to my judgments: and they shall keep my laws and my statutes in all mine assemblies; and they shall hallow my sabbaths.

Nice Volley! :)
Did you notice the word "avouched"?

May 1, 2019

(Eze 36:27 KJV) And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Without coercion!

"To walk therein"

Lovely phrase isn't it? :)

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013
:)

(Lev 18:4 KJV) Ye shall do my judgments, and keep mine ordinances, to walk therein: I am the LORD your God.
(Lev 18:5 KJV) Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the LORD.
(Lev 18:26 KJV) Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you:
(Lev 20:22 KJV) Ye shall therefore keep all my statutes, and all my judgments, and do them: that the land, whither I bring you to dwell therein, spue you not out.
(Lev 25:18 KJV) Wherefore ye shall do my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them; and ye shall dwell in the land in safety.
(Deu 5:1 KJV) And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them.
(Deu 7:11 KJV) Thou shalt therefore keep the commandments, and the statutes, and the judgments, which I command thee this day, to do them.
(Deu 7:12 KJV) Wherefore it shall come to pass, if ye hearken to these judgments, and keep, and do them, that the LORD thy God shall keep unto thee the covenant and the mercy which he sware unto thy fathers:
(Deu 11:1 KJV) Therefore thou shalt love the LORD thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments, alway.
(Deu 26:16 KJV) This day the LORD thy God hath commanded thee to do these statutes and judgments: thou shalt therefore keep and do them with all thine heart, and with all thy soul.
(Deu 26:17 KJV) Thou hast avouched the LORD this day to be thy God, and to walk in his ways, and to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and to hearken unto his voice:
(Deu 30:16 KJV) In that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.
(1Ki 2:3 KJV) And keep the charge of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself:
(1Ki 6:12 KJV) Concerning this house which thou art in building, if thou wilt walk in my statutes, and execute my judgments, and keep all my commandments to walk in them; then will I perform my word with thee, which I spake unto David thy father:
(1Ki 8:58 KJV) That he may incline our hearts unto him, to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and his statutes, and his judgments, which he commanded our fathers.
(1Ki 9:4 KJV) And if thou wilt walk before me, as David thy father walked, in integrity of heart, and in uprightness, to do according to all that I have commanded thee, and wilt keep my statutes and my judgments:
(1Ki 11:33 KJV) Because that they have forsaken me, and have worshipped Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, Chemosh the god of the Moabites, and Milcom the god of the children of Ammon, and have not walked in my ways, to do that which is right in mine eyes, and to keep my statutes and my judgments, as did David his father.
(Psa 119:106 KJV) I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments.
(Eze 20:19 KJV) I am the LORD your God; walk in my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them;
(Eze 44:24 KJV) And in controversy they shall stand in judgment; and they shall judge it according to my judgments: and they shall keep my laws and my statutes in all mine assemblies; and they shall hallow my sabbaths.

Nice Volley! :)
Did you notice the word "avouched"?
You could've left some for me, SG, lol.

And yes I have now. "Affirmative".

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
No one is slandering you Post Human. You just seem kind of cynical and your tone isn't very friendly to be honest. I am trying to be friendly am I not? People are just being nice because they are actually respectful nice people (thought of that?) Plenty disagree with me and I have no problem with healthy debate.

If I agreed with you would you call that flattery too? Look maybe if you put your replies like the others do, the thread would get somewhere. And Yahshua quoting Luke 1.6 kjv is not slandering you. How can it be really be slander when its Gods Word he is quoting on the LAW.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011

posthuman is very nice.

I am considered the rude one. mr gardener will barley speak to me, as he does not like my " tone" . that's fine. I do not like his lies. nor yours.

so, you see, not to speak for him, what posthuman means is this- Jesus said " not one jot or title shall pass away".

then , you judeaizers say that the ceremonial law and the law of the sacrifices have been done away with, thus deleating 2/3 of the Jots and Titles.

get it now judeaizing liar?

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013
:unsure: hmm...

Something just came to mind that may or may not help some folks see what we mean. I know Hebrew words aren't exactly the same as their Greek counterparts, but let's consider the following two passages:

Nehemiah 10:29 [Berean]
hereby join with their noble brothers and commit themselves with a sworn oath to follow the Law of God given through His servant Moses and to carefully obey all the commandments, ordinances/judgments, and statutes of the LORD our Lord.

So The FULL Law to follow has:

- Commandments
- Statutes
- Ordinances/Judgments

----

...now let's read what Paul said...

Colossians 2:14
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

So Paul says Christ - the Son of the Almighty; the living God in the flesh, Himself - blotted out the Ordinances/judgments. He removed them, not anyone else. So just following basic reasoning from what we're reading...

After Christ, The FULL Law to follow has:

- Commandments
- Statutes
- Ordinances/Judgments

----

Even if we don't know what ordinances/judgments specifically are right now, from these two passages isn't it reasonable to consider that something like ^above^ could've happened to The Law, based on the fewest assumptions?

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
:unsure: hmm...

Something just came to mind that may or may not help some folks see what we mean. I know Hebrew words aren't exactly the same as their Greek counterparts, but let's consider the following two passages:

Nehemiah 10:29 [Berean]
hereby join with their noble brothers and commit themselves with a sworn oath to follow the Law of God given through His servant Moses and to carefully obey all the commandments, ordinances/judgments, and statutes of the LORD our Lord.

So The FULL Law to follow has:

- Commandments
- Statutes
- Ordinances/Judgments

----

...now let's read what Paul said...

Colossians 2:14
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

So Paul says Christ - the Son of the Almighty; the living God in the flesh, Himself - blotted out the Ordinances/judgments. He removed them, not anyone else. So just following basic reasoning from what we're reading...

After Christ, The FULL Law to follow has:

- Commandments
- Statutes
- Ordinances/Judgments

----

Even if we don't know what ordinances/judgments specifically are right now, from these two passages isn't it reasonable to consider that something like ^above^ could've happened to The Law, based on the fewest assumptions?
* except, the greek word used in Colossians 2-14 is dogmaisn, a derivative of dogma, which means a public decree , the rules and requirements of the Law of Moses. ( which is singular in the greek).

so, language proves you judeaizers wrong.

May 1, 2019
posthuman is very nice.

I am considered the rude one. mr gardener will barley speak to me, as he does not like my " tone" . that's fine. I do not like his lies. nor yours.

so, you see, not to speak for him, what posthuman means is this- Jesus said " not one jot or title shall pass away".

then , you judeaizers say that the ceremonial law and the law of the sacrifices have been done away with, thus deleating 2/3 of the Jots and Titles.

Good verses for us all to abide by;

(2Pe 1:5 KJV) And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
(2Pe 1:6 KJV) And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
(2Pe 1:7 KJV) And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
(2Pe 1:8 KJV) For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
(2Pe 1:9 KJV) But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
(2Pe 1:10 KJV) Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013
* except, the greek word used in Colossians 2-14 is dogmaisn, a derivative of dogma, which means a public decree , the rules and requirements of the Law of Moses. ( which is singular in the greek).

so, language proves you judeaizers wrong.

Are you sure?

Hebrew word mishpat (from shaphat)

- arrangements (1), case (5), case* (1), cause (7), charge (1), claim (1), court (2), crimes (1), custom (11), customs (2), decide (1), decision (2), decisions (1), deserving (1), destruction (1), due (1), injustice* (2), judge (1), judged (1), judgment (62), judgments (40), just (4), justice (118), justly (3), kind (1), manner (3), matters of justice (1), mode of life (1), order (1), ordinance (29), ordinances (79), plan (1), plans (1), practice (1), procedure (4), properly (2), regulation (1), right (8), rightful place (1), rights (2), rule (1), sentence (2), sentenced (1), standard (1), trial (1), unjustly* (1), verdict (1), way prescribed (2), what is right (2), worthy (1).

Greek word Dogma (from Dokeo)

- decree (1), decrees (3), ordinances (1)

Luke 2:1 - That there went out a decree (dogma) from Ceasar

Acts 17:7 - ...contrary to the decrees (dogmata) from Ceasar

The law of Moses went out from Ceasar?

Nah, it simply means "decree".

You added that bit about "requirements of the law of Moses" because you need it to mean "the law of Moses".

Heyjude

Sep 7, 2019
posthuman is very nice.

Judaizing Liars do not quote Jesus do they?

They are the ones that actually accused Jesus in the first place when he never broke any laws. Someone who quotes Jesus is not Judaizing.

And if you read the thread properly from the beginning your so called friend Post Human only got 2/3rd of the law as that was all he asked about. He asked about the Law of Animal Sacrifice. Do I really have to go over the whole law and explain Jesus words again just because you didn't read the whole thread?

Do you understand what Jesus sacrificed? Do you believe he sacrificed anything? Do you believe in Jesus words at all? I supposed you are going to say Jesus broke the law himself by changing the law himself. Shall I quote you the Divided House quote?

Do you understand that we now live under the LAW OF THE HEART? It's a spiritual law not a physical law. Murder and adultery START IN THE HEART. Just like your anger seems to have started in yours. Why are you so angry and aggressive anyway?

Jesus said about not committing adultery.

“But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”

Jesus said about not to committing murder.

“But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire”.

The ceremonial laws were for the Israelites. Where does Jesus say they still stand? He even says “The Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."

Nothing you say makes any sense. Nothing has changed and I did not quote 2 / 3 of the Law, only what we were talking about in the thread as otherwise the page would be 20 pages long.

The Law stands but NOW IT'S WRITTEN ON YOUR HEART so no man is without excuse.

Shall I go on? He couldn't be clearer on what he said. The LAW STANDS but it's actually even harder to follow now isn't it? Even calling someone a FOOL can get you in danger of HELL FIRE. Yet you call me a Judaizing Liar? Hardly. I am quoting Jesus.

May 1, 2019
I agree with Simple Gardner - no one is trying to slander you and sorry you think that. Can you just explain what you mean then by what you say? For instance, what do you mean I make excuses to delete 2/3 of the law? Why not explain that?

Hey HeyJude,

This is the first forum I have ever visited or participated in. I feel I should somehow apologize for the manner in which some speak on here, but all I can offer is encouragement and prayers that none of it gets on you. I hope the UK is not promoting too much of the carnality that we are seeing here.

Many here believe that some of the doctrines that discourage any consideration of obedience to our Creators commandments, Judgements, ordinances, etc seems to have left many without the guidance of the Holy Spirit leaving them unregenerate in many ways.

Perhaps our prayers are all we have to offer.

Bless Our Heavenly Father! Know and Keep...:)

SG

Heyjude

Sep 7, 2019
Hey HeyJude,

This is the first forum I have ever visited or participated in. I feel I should somehow apologize for the manner in which some speak on here, but all I can offer is encouragement and prayers that none of it gets on you. I hope the UK is not promoting too much of the carnality that we are seeing here.

Many here believe that some of the doctrines that discourage any consideration of obedience to our Creators commandments, Judgements, ordinances, etc seems to have left many without the guidance of the Holy Spirit leaving them unregenerate in many ways.

Perhaps our prayers are all we have to offer.

Bless Our Heavenly Father! Know and Keep...:)

SG

Thank you SG. Me as well actually. Oh yes the UK has plenty of it. I come from London and in the Music World - plenty of reformed drunks, drug addicts and yobbish big mouths pop up sometimes. They are nice people underneath, they just don't speak in a good way and maybe need to learn some "big words". Just angry no idea why like you say. Perhaps our prayers are all we have to offer. Thanks anyhow.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Are you sure?

Hebrew word mishpat (from shaphat)

- arrangements (1), case (5), case* (1), cause (7), charge (1), claim (1), court (2), crimes (1), custom (11), customs (2), decide (1), decision (2), decisions (1), deserving (1), destruction (1), due (1), injustice* (2), judge (1), judged (1), judgment (62), judgments (40), just (4), justice (118), justly (3), kind (1), manner (3), matters of justice (1), mode of life (1), order (1), ordinance (29), ordinances (79), plan (1), plans (1), practice (1), procedure (4), properly (2), regulation (1), right (8), rightful place (1), rights (2), rule (1), sentence (2), sentenced (1), standard (1), trial (1), unjustly* (1), verdict (1), way prescribed (2), what is right (2), worthy (1).

Greek word Dogma (from Dokeo)

- decree (1), decrees (3), ordinances (1)

Luke 2:1 - That there went out a decree (dogma) from Ceasar

Acts 17:7 - ...contrary to the decrees (dogmata) from Ceasar

The law of Moses went out from Ceasar?

Nah, it simply means "decree".

You added that bit about "requirements of the law of Moses" because you need it to mean "the law of Moses".
the word dogma is defined as public decrees, the rules and regulations of Moses. look it up.

and use mainline translations. not the obscure junk translations most of you use. no one cares about nor takes them seriously.

DeighAnn

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Jun 11, 2019
You do realize Paul calls that the "ministry of death"?
Did you know there is no more "ministry of death" because those laws were divorced, and New Laws brought in but if you read Matt 5, basically same laws, just with the heart and mind put in with them. As in don't just "not kill" but don't think about killing and if you do go work it out. So Gods Commandments were made more intense and became a part of the NEW Covenant

Sep 5, 2019
When God gave the law to Moses He was very specific about something. The 10 commandments were carved in solid granit stone. The handwriting contained in the ordinances were simply dictated and Moses wrote them down. This was intended to demonstrate that there was a big difference between God's ten commandment law and the ordinances. The ten commandments are eternal and the handwriting contained in the ordinances were not. Paul explained this in Ephesians. " 15having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, 16and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.". I pulled this snippet out but all of Ephesians 2 is significant to study and understand. Mathew 5, "17“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one [c]tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. ". This law Jesus was referring to was the ten commandment law and not the ordinances.