Did Jesus ever tell us that we no longer need to keep the law of Moses?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Okay, list them please.
Well, it's not impossible to put together a list of New Covenant commandments. I don't have much time now, but I'll do my best in the ten minutes that I have left.

Love God with all your heart...
Don't lie
Don't commit adultery
Don't fornicate
Seek sanctification without which no one will see the Lord
Take part in the Lord's Supper
Forgive others
Do for others what you want them to do for you
Husbands love your wives
Wives love your husbands
Don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing
Don't let the sun set on your anger
Respect your church leaders
Women must wear a veil when they pray or prophesy
Women must have long hair
Women are not allowed to teach men

Time is up and I better go before the girls come and beat me up!

Feb 28, 2016
Mar,
you definitely need to do a lot more studying on your 'own', with an open heart to hear The Holy Spirits Voice...

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
On the contrary, we have yet to rest from our labors. What laws will Christ put in their hearts and minds during the millennial reign? You think just nine of the Ten Commandments? :)
Christ offers rest from your work at the law right now.

Christ offers the gift of Righteousness that you cannot attain by your work at the law.

No commandments are put in anyones hearts or minds. It is Gods Law that is the cause of Obedience and Righteousness that is put in the hearts and minds. Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance are what are put in the hearts and minds.

Ezekiel 36:26-27
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, faith, that are put in our hearts and grown by the Lord Jesus when we come and abide in Him are the CAUSE of us walking in Gods statutes and keeping His Judgements.

Not working at the 10 commandments in our own understanding of what we THINK the spiritual law says.

Hebrews 3:18-19
18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?

19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Hebrews 4:1-3
1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
There was no church or Christians when Isaiah 58 was written or revealed to the people.
Isaiah wasn't allowed to prophecy anything that wasn't in existence when he was prophesying?

He was repeating Gods Words, right?

His Words are Spirit and Life...

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Isaiah wasn't allowed to prophecy anything that wasn't in existence when he was prophesying?

He was repeating Gods Words, right?

His Words are Spirit and Life...
Still wrong.

What Isaiah was given, he delivered to those that he was sent to- the Jews and not the church. Non of them were yet Christian.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016

Christ offers the gift of Righteousness that you cannot attain by your work at the law.

No commandments are put in anyones hearts or minds. It is Gods Law that is the cause of Obedience and Righteousness that is put in the hearts and minds. Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance are what are put in the hearts and minds.

Ezekiel 36:26-27
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, faith, that are put in our hearts and grown by the Lord Jesus when we come and abide in Him are the CAUSE of us walking in Gods statutes and keeping His Judgements.

Not working at the 10 commandments in our own understanding of what we THINK the spiritual law says.

Hebrews 3:18-19
18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?

19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Hebrews 4:1-3
1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
You only enter into the Lord's rest when you die:

Rev 14:
13Then I heard a voice from heaven say, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.”
“Yes,” says the Spirit, “they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them.”

Noose

Apr 18, 2016

Rom 2:12All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)

You are also a law keeper, why preach against the law of Moses?

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Still wrong.

What Isaiah was given, he delivered to those that he was sent to- the Jews and not the church. Non of them were yet Christian.
2 Timothy 3:15-17
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

If its scripture then its given to Christians. And it has a spiritual meaning that was/is not understood by carnal people who are wise in their own minds.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
You only enter into the Lord's rest when you die:

Rev 14:
13Then I heard a voice from heaven say, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.”
“Yes,” says the Spirit, “they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them.”
Hebrews 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

We which have believed. That is before we die. Do enter into rest.

The scripture that you quoted does not say that you can only enter into the "Lords Rest" when you die. It just states that the dead rest from their labor.

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

You enter the "Lords Rest" as soon as you come to Christ by faith.

Those who don't believe do not enter into Rest.

Believing there is no such thing as rest until after you die is the same as unbelief.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Rom 2:12All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)

You are also a law keeper, why preach against the law of Moses?
I don't preach against the law of Moses.

Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance.

Which of those did you imagine were against the law of Moses?

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
I don't preach against the law of Moses.

Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance.

Which of those did you imagine were against the law of Moses?
they have this idea ( wrong ) that we Christ followers fulfil the righteous intent of the Law by keeping the Letter of the law.

they ignore that the letter kills, the Sprit gives life.

against the fruits of the Sprit, there is no Law.

there is also no Sabbath keeping mentioned in the Fruits , this is why the judeaizers push so hard against them.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
they have this idea ( wrong ) that we Christ followers fulfil the righteous intent of the Law by keeping the Letter of the law.

they ignore that the letter kills, the Sprit gives life.

against the fruits of the Sprit, there is no Law.

there is also no Sabbath keeping mentioned in the Fruits , this is why the judeaizers push so hard against them.
It seems pretty obvious and simple to me. Just read scripture.

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Righteousness doesn't come by the law. Righteousness comes by faith in Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

The coup de grace to the hebrew roots and law workers;

Galatians 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

I kind of wish Paul would have asked Do you enter into Rest by working at the law? But that was probably too obvious of a thought for Paul to even address. And yet, it is what the legalist and Judaizer push.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
On the contrary, we have yet to rest from our labors. What laws will Christ put in their hearts and minds during the millennial reign? You think just nine of the Ten Commandments? :)
Hello Deade. I don't think I understand your line of inquiry regarding the millennial reign. As for having entered rest (from working to attain salvation), Hebrews four makes pretty clear to me that we have already. Here are some relevant verses:

Hebrews 4:1
Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let
us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it.

Hebrews 4:3
Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,
“So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’”
And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world.

Hebrews 4:6
Therefore since it still remains for some to enter that rest,
and since those who formerly had the good news proclaimed
to them did not go in because of their disobedience,

Hebrews 4:10
for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his.

Hebrews 4:11
Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that
no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

I can see how much of it could look future depending on how you read the tense of enter or entering, and yet verse six stands out in that sense because it says people have not gone into the rest due to their disobedience. Jesus says, come to me and I will give you rest. Do you see that as future also? There are others. My question to you is, are you working to attain your salvation? Or do you rest in the finished work of Christ?

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Hello Deade. I don't think I understand your line of inquiry regarding the millennial reign. As for having entered rest (from working to attain salvation), Hebrews four makes pretty clear to me that we have already. Here are some relevant verses:

Hebrews 4:1
Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let
us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it.

Hebrews 4:3
Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,
“So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’”
And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world.

Hebrews 4:6
Therefore since it still remains for some to enter that rest,
and since those who formerly had the good news proclaimed
to them did not go in because of their disobedience,

Hebrews 4:10
for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his.

Hebrews 4:11
Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that
no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

I can see how much of it could look future depending on how you read the tense of enter or entering, and yet verse six stands out in that sense because it says people have not gone into the rest due to their disobedience. Jesus says, come to me and I will give you rest. Do you see that as future also? There are others. My question to you is, are you working to attain your salvation? Or do you rest in the finished work of Christ?
Let's not cherry pick this passage in Hebrews. We get the full context by including verses 8 & 9:

Heb. 4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on.
Heb. 4:9 So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,
Heb. 4:10 for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.
Heb. 4:11 Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.

I have not rested from my works yet. I look forward to it.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
My question to you is, are you working to attain your salvation? Or do you rest in the finished work of Christ?
Regarding this question: No, I do not work for salvation even though everyone accuses me of such. I just endeavor to keep the Commandments of God as an act of obedience. As Christ had admonished:

Luke 6:46 "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?"

1 John 3:4
"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Let's not cherry pick this passage in Hebrews. We get the full context by including verses 8 & 9:

Heb. 4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on.
Heb. 4:9 So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,
Heb. 4:10 for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.
Heb. 4:11 Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.

I have not rested from my works yet. I look forward to it.
Joshua was looking forward to the coming of Christ, Who is come. Do you rest in His finished work or not?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Regarding this question: No, I do not work for salvation even though everyone accuses me of such. I just endeavor to keep the Commandments of God as an act of obedience. As Christ had admonished:

Luke 6:46 "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?"

1 John 3:4 "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." :)
Everyone? Gosh. I have not. I bet others have not either.