Did Jesus Have an Advantage over Pre-Fall Adam During the Incarnation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Jesus himself was forgiving sins.
After He rose didn't He tell the disciples what they bound on earth was bound in heaven, and what they loosed on earth was loosed in heaven? What was the source of power for that?

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
Jesus himself was forgiving sins.
All we can see is that Jesus was declaring sins forgiven. If, Jesus was forgiving sins, He would have said from the cross, "I forgive you, you don't know what you are doing." But He asked the Father to forgive them. So, it stands to reason that when Jesus says elsewhere, "Your sins are forgiven you," He was declaring His Father's forgiveness. Otherwise, He could say, "I forgive you." But He doesn't.

Mar 7, 2024
For someone who regularly tries to sweep his inability to explain the cognitive dissonance in his views under a mat printed with "That's a mystery; God is completely beyond our ability to understand Him," you are very certain about what this mysterious absolutely other God can and cannot do.
I only know the little He has revealed about Himself. You won't convince me to seek out those thing God has hidden, those who try to seek out the hidden things end up like Saul, who went to consult with a witch.

Please don't push witchcraft on me, my God hates it so much that He cast's those who dabble in it to hell

Mar 7, 2024
Strawman 1

Strawman 2

Straw conclusion.

Strawman 3

Strawman 4

Strawman5

Strawman 6

Strawman 7

You really need to grow up and learn to listen to what others are actually saying. We all miss-hear occasionally. But that post was atrociously ignorant of what Sawdust communicated very clearly.
Perhaps I don't consider his philosophy to be as wonderful as you do

Mar 7, 2024
You've obviously never had a slave, or been one, or you would know that what you wrote here was complete idiocy. How did Onesimus run away from Philemon, if as you claim, "A slave has no autonomy or free will, a slave just trusts and obeys and shuts his mouth. He never ever questions or seeks or argues anything"?
I'm not talking about slavery to sinners, I'm talking about the freedom Christ's slaves enjoy. We never need to ask anything and everything is prepared for us. We just enjoy the fruits of His glorious victory on our behalf

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
None of that makes any Biblical sense. The Bible never said that Jesus abandoned His God nature. He used it to show off His power to show the crowd who He was.

A man can do no miracles. He didn't have to go back to heaven and put His superman suit on every time He wanted to perform a miracle and we know He wasn't into black magic, so yeah
EVERYTHING in the Bible comports with the perspective that the incarnate Son before resurrection was not using His own power to do His works. Jesus clearly states that to be the case in many places. Your position is the one that clashes with the biblical record and denies Jesus' own testimony.
John 5:30 KJV — I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.
John 14:10 KJV — Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
John 10:32 KJV — Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?"

Mar 7, 2024
I know. Calvinists don't believe the Bible. They believe traditions of men, and deny the Bible when it contradicts those traditions.

Matthew 28:18 "All authority in heaven and on earth IS GIVEN TO ME."
John 6:37 "All that the Father GIVES ME will come to me..."
John 6:39 "...that I should lose nothing of ALL THAT HE HAS GIVEN ME."
John 10:29 "My Father who HAS GIVEN THEM TO ME..."
John 12:49 "...but the Father who sent Me HAS HIMSELF GIVEN ME COMMANDMENT - WHAT TO SAY AND WHAT TO SPEAK."
John 17:7 "Now they know that everything YOU HAVE GIVEN ME IS FROM YOU."
John 17:8 "For I have given them the words THAT YOU GAVE ME..."
John 17:11 "For those YOU HAVE GIVEN ME..."
John 17:22 "The glory that YOU HAVE GIVEN ME, I have given to them..."
John 17:24 "Father, I desire that they also, WHOM YOU HAVE GIEN ME, may be with me whre I a; to see my glory THAT YOU HAVE GIVEN ME..."
John 18:11 "Shall I not drink the cup THAT THE FATHER HAS GIVEN ME."
Heb. 2:13 "Behold I and the children GOD HAS GIVEN ME."
It's all good and well to quote bible verses. Anyone can do that, but the problem is you misinterpret all of them and then misapply them to push your false gospel message

Mar 7, 2024
EVERYTHING in the Bible comports with the perspective that the incarnate Son before resurrection was not using His own power to do His works. Jesus clearly states that to be the case in many places. Your position is the one that clashes with the biblical record and denies Jesus' own testimony.
John 5:30 KJV — I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.
John 14:10 KJV — Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
John 10:32 KJV — Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?"
None of those say anything about Jesus not having two natures. They just confirm it. So it's back to the drawing board again

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
All we can see is that Jesus was declaring sins forgiven.
And healing people. The context is he is doing the forgiving and how is that a surprise since he forgives now also?

Mar_2:10 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)

2ndTimeIsTheCharm

Feb 17, 2023
"The reason why it isn't any easier having the Holy Spirit to helps us obey and keep from sin is because God hasn't taken away our free will. The Bible says that we can grieve the Holy Spirit, showing that it is possible to resist His work in us. This shows us that the Holy Spirit (and God the Father and the Lord Jesus) will not ever force us to do anything. We must be willing to submit to God in order for Him to work in us.

The Lord Jesus showed that it is possible to fully submit to the Holy Spirit which should be a great encouragement to us."

I thought you were talking about only our present pre-glory state, and suggesting in glory our free will is not going to be a problem, because God would take that away.. I guess I misunderstood you.

Yeah, I studied further about what happens after we're transformed, when the Lord Jesus returns. From what I'm reading, we will still have that free will. God will never take that away. When this is all over and we're transformed, our sanctification is complete. We will no longer have the sin nature.

Romans 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. 19 For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

So even though we will still have free will forever, from that point on, we will ALWAYS choose to do what pleases God and what is right in His eyes.

1 John 3:2 Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.

This is our wonderful hope! And it's the reason why I want to endure to the end, no matter what happens to me! :)

🍱

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
None of those say anything about Jesus not having two natures. They just confirm it. So it's back to the drawing board again
Jesus has two natures. He had two natures while incarnated and on earth. If you could learn to listen instead of just nay-say while rubs you the wrong way, and not just play your one-string fiddle louder when someone challenges your ideas, you would have realised I have no problem with Jesus having two natures.

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
Nothing I wrote says that I believe Jesus did/does not have two natures.

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
I only know the little He has revealed about Himself. You won't convince me to seek out those thing God has hidden, those who try to seek out the hidden things end up like Saul, who went to consult with a witch.

Please don't push witchcraft on me, my God hates it so much that He cast's those who dabble in it to hell
The twelve and the 70 had power/authority to heal the sick, raise the dead and cast out demons. Having power/authority to do something does not mean the power/authority originates in yourself.

Now you can play your special pleading fallacy. card: "Sure, men have to get power/authority from God. But Jesus didn't because...."

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
And healing people. The context is he is doing the forgiving and how is that a surprise since he forgives now also?

Mar_2:10 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)
The twelve and the 70 had power/authority to heal the sick, raise the dead and cast out demons. Having power/authority to do something does not mean the power/authority originates in yourself.

Jesus specifically denied that the power He was working with was His own.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
I know. Calvinists don't believe the Bible. They believe traditions of men, and deny the Bible when it contradicts those traditions.

Matthew 28:18 "All authority in heaven and on earth IS GIVEN TO ME."
John 6:37 "All that the Father GIVES ME will come to me..."
John 6:39 "...that I should lose nothing of ALL THAT HE HAS GIVEN ME."
John 10:29 "My Father who HAS GIVEN THEM TO ME..."
John 12:49 "...but the Father who sent Me HAS HIMSELF GIVEN ME COMMANDMENT - WHAT TO SAY AND WHAT TO SPEAK."
John 17:7 "Now they know that everything YOU HAVE GIVEN ME IS FROM YOU."
John 17:8 "For I have given them the words THAT YOU GAVE ME..."
John 17:11 "For those YOU HAVE GIVEN ME..."
John 17:22 "The glory that YOU HAVE GIVEN ME, I have given to them..."
John 17:24 "Father, I desire that they also, WHOM YOU HAVE GIEN ME, may be with me whre I a; to see my glory THAT YOU HAVE GIVEN ME..."
John 18:11 "Shall I not drink the cup THAT THE FATHER HAS GIVEN ME."
Heb. 2:13 "Behold I and the children GOD HAS GIVEN ME."
This evokes a picture of wedding, where the father of the bride gives her away.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
How do you know it wasn't sourced by the Holy Spirit? Isn't this how the Apostles were able to do miracles?
As a matter of fact, I was just now looking at John 9:4 and noticed the first-person singular "I" translated as "We" in "While it is daytime, We (capitalization mine) must do the work of Him who sent Me..." in the context of Jesus healing the man born blind.

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
As a matter of fact, I was just now looking at John 9:4 and noticed the first-person singular "I" translated as "We" in "While it is daytime, We (capitalization mine) must do the work of Him who sent Me..." in the context of Jesus healing the man born blind.
What conclusion are you drawing from that?

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Jesus said that He was the light of the world while He was in the world and followed that with the concept of night coming where no one can work which I believe is alluding to his death so when He said, "we must do the work of Him who sent Me while it is yet day" I gather He was speaking of Himself and the Spirit by whom worked through Him.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
speaking of Himself and the Spirit by whom worked through Him.
My use of bad grammar there came from wondering whether I should write "by Whom He worked through" or "of Whom worked through Him".. I'm not sure it matters since no one can do anything without the other (or is either one?).

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
So, perhaps the ultimate conclusion to the question of the OP is, then, the advantage of the Holy Spirit. I wonder if Adam had the Holy Spirit or failed to acknowledge Him or was even aware of Him?