Did Jesus Joke Around or Laugh?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014
Normally instead of coming out guns blazing, I normally break the ice with a joke.
There is a movie or two out there the portrays Jesus as having a sense of humor.... So did He? This issue was sort of brought up on DCon's "all agree" thread and I wanted to ask this anyway a few days back. I thought this has always been an interesting topic, and I figured why ruin/possible argue on DCon's thread by expanding on it there.

Although Jesus might not have been into Knock-Knock jokes or crude humor are we to expect that He NEVER laughed or joked around?

What would He find funny? Our senses of humor/ability to laugh HAD to have come from Him right?

His time teaching only took so long, so how did He fill hours of "down time" with the apostles? Or did they joke and He just laughed? ....I'm being serious.:D

A

Anonimous

I'm sure He did...as did the disciples. Imagine if you will...

The disciples walking along one of those dusty roads... frequented by herds of sheep... One of them steps into the evidence of their recent departure and one of them slips and falls into it. The response is one of the following...

a. the others helps him up and they continue on...
b. they immediately form a committee to re-route all future travel and plan another meeting in two weeks to check progress...
or...
c. They all start laughing and joking.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
I know he did...

Isiah 35:5 says that the messiah will heal the blind.

Well in John 9:1-7 Jesus healed a man that was blind from birth... The only person who would ever do this would be Christ (from what I am told).

Well you know how the pharisees were always making up commandments and laws even though God said do not make one more commandment or subtract one commandment that I give through Moses (Duet 4:2).

So that is the backstory, kind of...

Now Jesus healed a blind man before by saying that the mans faith in Him has healed him. But this was the Sabbath and the Pharisees made up so many rules about: you could not do this or that or this... They made up so many commandments that some of them were, you can not put spit into another persons eye on the Sabbath. You can not make mud on the Sabbath: no mention to my knowledge about peeing outside so I guess that was forbidden. You can not work outside of your house unless the day before you took a house item and placed it outside of the area you are working....

So what Jesus did was show the pharisees were not of God's by breaking 3 fake laws at once...

He looked at the man, picked up some dirt, then spit in it and mixed it up, and rubbed it into his eyes... Could you imagine Christ with a strait face spitting into his hand and then rubbing it into the guys eyes... Then He said, okay now go bathe and you will see... Now the man was blind and was not able to set up a house hold item in X distance, so could you imagine how furious the pharisees must have been...

Also remember our Savior was a carpenter... My father is a carpenter, they love practical jokes... Not saying Christ did as well, but I can only imagine that atmosphere... He also had fisherman as his apostles and I believe He gave Peter a blessing of showing God's humor to the world, a lot of times when you hear a pastor speak about Peter it's fairly funny.

You also make a great point, our humor comes from God :D

Last edited:
K

kaylagrl

Jesus made sarcastic comments to the Pharisees,clearly he had/has a sense of humor.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Godly laughter = rejoicing over the victories of God, laughter of Joy, enjoying God's gifts of life

Job 5:22 At destruction and famine thou shalt laugh: neither shalt thou be afraid of the beasts of the earth.
Job 8:21 Till he fill thy mouth with laughing, and thy lips with rejoicing.
Job 22:19 The righteous see it, and are glad: and the innocent laugh them to scorn.
Psalms 2:4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.
Psalms 59:8 But thou, O LORD, shalt laugh at them; thou shalt have all the heathen in derision.
Psalms 126:2 Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing: then said they among the heathen, The LORD hath done great things for them.
Proverbs 1:26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
Ecclesiastes 3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
Ecclesiastes 10:19 A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry:
Luke 6:21 Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.

ungodly laughter = laughing perversely, mocking the believers, "there is no God" attitude and all that proceeds from it

Job 12:4 I am as one mocked of his neighbour, who calleth upon God, and he answereth him: the just upright man is laughed to scorn.
Psalms 80:6 Thou makest us a strife unto our neighbours: and our enemies laugh among themselves.
Ecclesiastes 7:6 For as the crackling of thorns under a pot, so is the laughter of the fool: this also is vanity.
Matthew 9:24 He said unto them, Give place: for the maid is not dead, but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn.
Luke 6:25 Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.
James 4:9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.
To me the best example of God's humor is when He talks with Gideon... As Gideon is to go to the battle and God keeps telling Gideon "that's too many men" and makes Gideon dismiss more and more warriors.
I believe Jesus did make jokes of this kind - giving glory to the POWER of God.
I also believe He had a sense of humor because God definitely does...
I find the humor when He talks comparing a mote and a LOG stuck in the eye - come on, just imagine it. :D

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014
Godly laughter = rejoicing over the victories of God, laughter of Joy, enjoying God's gifts of life

ungodly laughter = laughing perversely, mocking the believers, "there is no God" attitude and all that proceeds from it

To me the best example of God's humor is when He talks with Gideon... As Gideon is to go to the battle and God keeps telling Gideon "that's too many men" and makes Gideon dismiss more and more warriors.
I believe Jesus did make jokes of this kind - giving glory to the POWER of God.
I also believe He had a sense of humor because God definitely does...
I find the humor when He talks comparing a mote and a LOG stuck in the eye - come on, just imagine it. :D

Well.....SoulWeaver...thanks for hogging up the fun of this one by nailing it all in one post. :D Guess this thread is already done?!!! Nothing more to see here people. :D
See?.....that was all a joke? Not a fall down, gut busting joke, but one nonetheless :D:D:D:D

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
I just studied the topic before so it was easy to gather the Scriptures. I also wondered like you.
Yes Jesus definitely laughed and joked RIGHTEOUSLY. :)
I'm sure there are other many examples of His humor in the Bible or that people have experienced in their relationship with God that I didnt post.

GuessWho

Nov 8, 2014
In the canonic gospels Jesus never laughs. In the so-called gospel of Judah, Jesus laughed at his disciples:

One day he was with his disciples in Judea, and he found them gathered together andseated in pious observance. When he [approached] his disciples, [34] gathered togetherand seated and offering a prayer of thanksgiving over the bread, [he] laughed.
The disciples said to [him], “Master, why are you laughing at [our] prayer ofthanksgiving? We have done what is right.”
He answered and said to them, “I am not laughing at you. <You> are not doing thisbecause of your own will but because it is through this that your god [will be] praised.”
They said, “Master, you are [...] the son of our god.”
Jesus said to them, “How do you know me? Truly say to you, no generation of thepeople that are among you will know me.”

Taken from:
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/_pdf/GospelofJudas.pdf

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Just remembered this too:
The anglicized name Isaac is a transliteration of the Hebrew term Yiṣḥāq which literally means "He laughs/will laugh."
It referred more to Jesus as a prophecy than to Isaac I believe... He would laugh because the Father would grant Him victory over His enemies.

Last edited:
N

NewWine

Jesus loved children and children loved Him, so I am pretty sure he laughed and joked when on Earth. Now today I think He finds it hilarious anytime I say, "I got this covered". That's when he laughs and says, "oh you think you do?"

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014
Jesus loved children and children loved Him, so I am pretty sure he laughed and joked when on Earth. Now today I think He finds it hilarious anytime I say, "I got this covered". That's when he laughs and says, "oh you think you do?"
I like that a lot.:D

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
In the canonic gospels Jesus never laughs. In the so-called gospel of Judah, Jesus laughed at his disciples:

One day he was with his disciples in Judea, and he found them gathered together andseated in pious observance. When he [approached] his disciples, [34] gathered togetherand seated and offering a prayer of thanksgiving over the bread, [he] laughed.
The disciples said to [him], “Master, why are you laughing at [our] prayer ofthanksgiving? We have done what is right.”
He answered and said to them, “I am not laughing at you. <You> are not doing thisbecause of your own will but because it is through this that your god [will be] praised.”
They said, “Master, you are [...] the son of our god.”
Jesus said to them, “How do you know me? Truly say to you, no generation of thepeople that are among you will know me.”

Taken from:
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/_pdf/GospelofJudas.pdf

You realize the Gospel of Judas was written AT THE EARLIEST in the 2nd century!!!
In other words, IT IS NOT A TRUE GOSPEL!

THE BIBLE MAKES IT SPECIFIC! FIRST HAND WITNESSES GIVE TESTIMONIES!!! NO ONE ELSE!

JesusMyOnly

Jun 30, 2014
This is so strange I came across this post considering that just last night I was reading about something called "holy laughter" ( Read more: What is holy laughter? ). While reading about "holy laughter" I found out it was thought to be a "phenomenon during which a person laughs uncontrollably, presumably as a result of being filled with the holy spirit's joy". As I read down the passage it mentioned that no where in the bible was Jesus ever recorded laughing to prove that holy laughter was wrong because He was filled more with the Spirit than anyone else and never had this happen. It was just kinda weird to me that the bible never says when Jesus laughed.

I really do believe that Jesus laughed just as well as He cried. We as humans are made in the likeness and image of God, so where our sense of humor comes from that Source has one as well. Jesus was God incarnate and I believe God never changes so even still to these days Jesus still has a sense of humor and can laugh. I bet He laughed at young children being that He loved them so much and kids can cause plenty of laughter, and at His children as well. I believe He is able to laugh at good Christian comedy and even when we laugh I believe He laughs as well (at clean fun).

This is a pretty awesome article I found about this very question that you can take a look at.

Did Jesus ever laugh?

J

jjtj22

Many times the Bible says He will fill your mouth with laughter.

I think that means He has a sense of humor.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.
(Matthew 23:24)

if you don't find this funny, you are not picturing it...
and in fact, the more prudish among us will find the image a bit "crude"
but there it is, the Lord said it!

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
[video=youtube;MOVGiqY0lvA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOVGiqY0lvA[/video]

A

Anonimous

One day the Israelites were complaining about being hungry... he provide manna from heaven... yay for manna! Mannana bread, Manna burgers... "We want meat!!! ... "Okay, you want meat? I'll give it to you until it comes out of your noses!"

S

Siberian_Khatru

https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/20-emotions-of-jesus-the:

Though the Scriptures nowhere speak of Jesus laughing, one should not adopt an unbalanced view of the Son of God by assuming that he was never happy.
There are several occasions in the Lord’s preaching ministry wherein a touch of humor was tucked away into his illustrations. The allusion to attempting to remove a splinter from another’s eye, while a beam protrudes from one’s own eye (Matthew 7:4), and the reference to straining out a gnat, yet swallowing a camel (Matthew 23:24), are packed with humor.
More or less affirming what posthuman said.

Dec 9, 2011
Normally instead of coming out guns blazing, I normally break the ice with a joke.
There is a movie or two out there the portrays Jesus as having a sense of humor.... So did He? This issue was sort of brought up on DCon's "all agree" thread and I wanted to ask this anyway a few days back. I thought this has always been an interesting topic, and I figured why ruin/possible argue on DCon's thread by expanding on it there.

Although Jesus might not have been into Knock-Knock jokes or crude humor are we to expect that He NEVER laughed or joked around?

What would He find funny? Our senses of humor/ability to laugh HAD to have come from Him right?

His time teaching only took so long, so how did He fill hours of "down time" with the apostles? Or did they joke and He just laughed? ....I'm being serious.:D
Hello Reborn
I would say that JESUS laughed because in the bible I see where it says laughter is good for the soul and GOD the FATHER GOD the SON and GOD the Holy SPIRIT are one.
The bible was written by men under the inspiration of GOD

1st John 5:7
king james version(kjv)

7.)For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

P

psychomom

sometimes i think about Isaiah calling our Savior 'Everlasting Father'.

anyone who either has children or had spent time with them
knows they make us laugh! and almost always make us smile.

sometimes it's compassionate laughter, like, oh, you poor baby, you need help!
and many times it's just for all the joy they bring us. :)

i'm guessing the Lord smiled at people often...He was sooo inviting.