E
when God gave them to abraham there was no condition.
he said "I will" he did not say " I will if you do this as a condition"
the condition was given 400 years later. and not as to if the land is theres or not. but if they occupied what was rightfully theirs or not.
true.. and as paul said in romans 11,, Israel are our enemy concerning the prophesy, but beloved because of the election. how can one be chosen and be an enemy at the same time, unless God chose them for some reason as a group.
as paul said, the GIFTS and CALLING of God are irrevocable.
the land was a gift to Israel, and he called them to that land for a specific purpose. which he reiterates in ez 37:
[SUP]28 [/SUP]The nations also will know that I, the Lord, sanctify Israel, when My sanctuary is in their midst forevermore.”’”
I find it interesting the word nation means gentiles. Or heathen people. Yes the church is in all nations today, but the nations themselves are still heathen. Even the US being supposedly a christian nation is a heathen nation look at all its sins.
Genesis 17:11 And you shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskin, and it shall be the sign of the covenant between Me and you.
Galatians 5:2 Behold I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you.
Colossians 2:17
[SUP]16 [/SUP]Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— [SUP]17[/SUP]things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. [SUP]18 [/SUP]Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship of the angels, taking his stand on visions he has seen, inflated without cause by his fleshly mind, [SUP]19 [/SUP]and not holding fast to the head, from whom the entire body, being supplied and held together by the joints and ligaments, grows with a growth which is from God.
Colossians 2:11 and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ
I guess the question is was it from God that the sign of the covenant with Abraham was done away with in the New Testament and the establishment of the Church (Christ's Body).
why would you say that?
Genesis 17:11 And you shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskin, and it shall be the sign of the covenant between Me and you.
Galatians 5:2 Behold I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you.
Colossians 2:17
[SUP]16 [/SUP]Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— [SUP]17[/SUP]things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. [SUP]18 [/SUP]Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship of the angels, taking his stand on visions he has seen, inflated without cause by his fleshly mind, [SUP]19 [/SUP]and not holding fast to the head, from whom the entire body, being supplied and held together by the joints and ligaments, grows with a growth which is from God.
Colossians 2:11 and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ
I guess the question is was it from God that the sign of the covenant with Abraham was done away with in the New Testament and the establishment of the Church (Christ's Body).
Yes, I realize that Colossians is not about circumcision, but I thought it would be a good read anyway.
Because it sounded like you were saying that we (or Israel) will be on the earth forever. I would still discuss with you if you were JW - I just wanted to know.
A sign of a covenant, and a condition of a covenant is not the same.
Give me a break.
A sign of a covenant, and a condition of a covenant is not the same.
Give me a break.
Well the rainbow is still here.
But if I want to be honest - A good portion of the world, as well as the Jews are still circumcised.
true.. Many for hygienic reasons.
But the question still remains.. Did God say this..
Gen 15:[SUP] 17 [/SUP]And it came to pass, when the sun went down and it was dark, that behold, there appeared a smoking oven and a burning torch that passed between those pieces. [SUP]18 [/SUP]On the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying:“To your descendants I have given this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the River Euphrates— [SUP]19 [/SUP]the Kenites, the Kenezzites, the Kadmonites, [SUP]20 [/SUP]the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Rephaim, [SUP]21 [/SUP]the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.
Gen 17: [SUP]8 [/SUP]Also I give to you and your descendants after you the land in which you are a stranger, all the land of Canaan, as an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.”
1. Where is the condition? (Abraham was put asleep when this covenant was confirmed., it was non conditional)
2. How can we spiritualize this covenant to mean spiritual isreal. when nothing of the gift has any spiritual connotation or aspect.
3. God said he gave it to them forever. Did God lie? or is it still theirs as long as the land still exists.?
Well, I can see why you are set on this. But, I guess I would say, how many times did God remove them from their everlasting possession in the OT;
And what is meant by everlasting if the earth does not remain forever.
If everlasting means eternal, then God means something else or the earth will be here forever. How can you have an eternal gift that is destroyed at some point, either with the establishment of the New Law of Grace or the actual destruction of the earth. No matter which way you believe, it is not eternal (unless, of course, you take a route similar to the JW).
Well the rainbow is still here.
But if I want to be honest - A good portion of the world, as well as the Jews are still circumcised.
But within all the Heathen nations is another nation, God's people, we are His temple and He is ours. Peter says "we are a holy nation, a royal priesthood...." God's sanctuary is built without human hands, the church, we are the Israel of God.when God gave them to abraham there was no condition.
he said "I will" he did not say " I will if you do this as a condition"
the condition was given 400 years later. and not as to if the land is theres or not. but if they occupied what was rightfully theirs or not.
true.. and as paul said in romans 11,, Israel are our enemy concerning the prophesy, but beloved because of the election. how can one be chosen and be an enemy at the same time, unless God chose them for some reason as a group.
as paul said, the GIFTS and CALLING of God are irrevocable.
the land was a gift to Israel, and he called them to that land for a specific purpose. which he reiterates in ez 37:
[SUP]28 [/SUP]The nations also will know that I, the Lord, sanctify Israel, when My sanctuary is in their midst forevermore.”’”
I find it interesting the word nation means gentiles. Or heathen people. Yes the church is in all nations today, but the nations themselves are still heathen. Even the US being supposedly a christian nation is a heathen nation look at all its sins.
But within all the Heathen nations is another nation, God's people, we are His temple and He is ours. Peter says "we are a holy nation, a royal priesthood...." God's sanctuary is built without human hands, the church, we are the Israel of God.
You make me weary, lol...I'll let these others mess w you, we've been down this road.![]()
lol. but we are not speaking of the eternal nation.
we are speaking of this earth, right here and right now.
Does the land of canaan given to abraham still exist or not? if it does. then does Gods promise still exist or does not not?
if it does not. then we are in danger, God breaks his promises
Where be the land where Canaan dwellt?
The land specifically is what is called The Promised Land, The Levant, Palestina, Judaea, and today Israel.
The next question be if today the Caananites or the Abrahamites dwell therein.
Seems to me God's promise to Abraham is truth indeed.
Not sure what your trying to say
Gen 17: [SUP]8 [/SUP]Also I give to you and your descendants after you the land in which you are a stranger, all the land of Canaan, as an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.”
Does this land still exist or not?
Yes the land exists, but not as God's economy. The land was but a type, or anti-type for the heavenly nation, New Jerusalem. Jesus said He was going to take the kingdom of God away from the ancient/earthly nation and give to another nation, this is the True nation of God, the remnant of God's people through-out all ages. God never promises to give the kingdom of God back to an earthly Israel or any earthly nation for that matter. God doesn't break His promises, they are extend and even better now to all who believe in the Son. Remember we agree, God always had one group of people He calls His own. There is no replacement but a continuation in this last age, namely called the age of grace. Then the end. simple as that!lol. but we are not speaking of the eternal nation.
we are speaking of this earth, right here and right now.
Does the land of canaan given to abraham still exist or not? if it does. then does Gods promise still exist or does not not?
if it does not. then we are in danger, God breaks his promises