Did Jesus rise from the dead on the third day?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lillywolf

Aug 29, 2018
This might seem like an unnecessary question because of 1 Corinthians 15:4 but please bear with me.
God bless you in your journey to understand. As you seek so shall he open the way for your understanding. Amen.

This may assist you.
THE SPICES AND THE VISITS TO CHRIST'S TOMB

There has been much confusion about the sequence of events surrounding preparation of spices and the visits to Christ's tomb, because there seems to be no chronological order to the events as recorded in the gospel accounts. This study provides a plausible sequence of events by reviewing them in four segments: The time frame, Jesus' burial, the women's spice preparation, and the visits to the tomb. More reading- Click Here

How Long Was Jesus In His Tomb?
Full Article here. It's conclusion arrived at through scripture is excerpted below.
Conclusion
Here is a summary of the above (The articles contents) information – about the exact days of the week that Jesus was in his tomb:
1. Jesus was crucified on the day of the Passover sacrifice – Nisan 14. In that year, Nisan 14 fell on a Wednesday.
2. Jesus died on Wednesday afternoon; and he was “rushed” into his tomb shortly before sundown that day. This was needed because the next day – which began at sundown – was an annual Sabbath day (i.e., a “high day”).
3. Jesus remained in his tomb from shortly before sundown on Wednesday, until shortly after sundown on Saturday. This means that he was in his tomb for three full days and three full nights – i.e. 72 hours.
4. There are two main reasons why Jesus needed to be in his tomb for three full days and nights: To fulfill his own prophesy (from Matthew 12), and to convince everyone that he had actually died (as opposed to being in a “comatose” state, and then recovering on his own.) 5. Shortly after sundown on Saturday, God resurrected Jesus – and Jesus emerged from his tomb! The above doctrine is supported by Scripture; and it is also consistent with the culture of Israel in the 1st century.

Blessings.

L

LPT

You are an ignorant windbag. You absolutely do not need to know the different calanders. It is counting days. It only needs to know the simple facts about the crucifiction and resurrection. It doesn't matter if we use current name for the days of the we or the ones from Biblical times. There are 7 days in a week. The weekly Sabbath always is the last day of the week. The first day of the week we call Sunday. So what? We are counting days!!!
Tomb empty the first day of the week.
We call it Sunday. Counting backward.
Saturday late afternoon is when Jesus rose.
Friday
Thursday
Wednesday Jesus crucified. Buried late afternoon. 3 days!!!
You count secular days Homs, your mind is completely conformed as well, you have only known seven named days as a week since you were a child and that is all you know so yes naturally that is how you think.

Sunday was setup to be the day of worship for Christians back in 350AD or so because the modern world was taking hold and people were starting to work five days a week. Believe me when I say back in 10 BC people were no saying Arrrg I got to get up and go to work on Monday no not at all.

L

LPT

It don’t matter for I see many people who setup a day for what ever reason it is just as long as it’s observed for the Lord, don’t sweat it it’s no biggie.

Rom. 14:5-6, "One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God."

L

LPT

Speaking about not eating one day a week, it is healthy to a human body not to eat one day a week to give your Colon and intestinal track a rest from processing food and gives your body sometime to try and flush out all the bad things we consume each week. Though drink plenty of water, grape juice is a good choice to drink throughout the day, mix a half gallon of water with a half gallon of grape juice or your favorite type of juice. for you will have some kind of calorie in take to sustain vital organs.

L

LPT

You are an ignorant windbag. You absolutely do not need to know the different calanders. It is counting days. It only needs to know the simple facts about the crucifiction and resurrection. It doesn't matter if we use current name for the days of the we or the ones from Biblical times. There are 7 days in a week. The weekly Sabbath always is the last day of the week. The first day of the week we call Sunday. So what? We are counting days!!!
Tomb empty the first day of the week.
We call it Sunday. Counting backward.
Saturday late afternoon is when Jesus rose.
Friday
Thursday
Wednesday Jesus crucified. Buried late afternoon. 3 days!!!
I think you miss understood me, I really don’t care what calander you use or the day you observe but to say it was no doubt on a Wednesday can’t be proven without a shadow of a doubt. it is purely guessing or using some man made computer program that only the designer knows the algorithms of it and how it was set up.. if your going to try and be logical about it then be logical not guesswork.

Sep 24, 2012
It seems to me that a newbie or baby Christian would have more basic questions to be asked and answered than this particular one. I smell a troll.
Unless I'm mistaken (I have a memory problem), I was literally asking if Jesus rose from the dead on the third day. Like did He actually rise from the dead on the third day? I wasn't trolling.

L

LPT

Unless I'm mistaken (I have a memory problem), I was literally asking if Jesus rose from the dead on the third day. Like did He actually rise from the dead on the third day? I wasn't trolling.
Is there a sunrise and sunset everyday?

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Third day....no doubt. But portions of one day is considered to amount to a full day (evening and morning) per typical cultural custom.
No need to demand 72 hours precisely.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The question was asked and answered, and here we are at almost 100 posts. If you do not believe that Christ rose from the dead, then you are NOT a Christian.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
God bless you in your journey to understand. As you seek so shall he open the way for your understanding. Amen.

This may assist you.
THE SPICES AND THE VISITS TO CHRIST'S TOMB

There has been much confusion about the sequence of events surrounding preparation of spices and the visits to Christ's tomb, because there seems to be no chronological order to the events as recorded in the gospel accounts. This study provides a plausible sequence of events by reviewing them in four segments: The time frame, Jesus' burial, the women's spice preparation, and the visits to the tomb. More reading- Click Here

How Long Was Jesus In His Tomb?
Full Article here. It's conclusion arrived at through scripture is excerpted below.
Conclusion
Here is a summary of the above (The articles contents) information – about the exact days of the week that Jesus was in his tomb:
1. Jesus was crucified on the day of the Passover sacrifice – Nisan 14. In that year, Nisan 14 fell on a Wednesday.
2. Jesus died on Wednesday afternoon; and he was “rushed” into his tomb shortly before sundown that day. This was needed because the next day – which began at sundown – was an annual Sabbath day (i.e., a “high day”).
3. Jesus remained in his tomb from shortly before sundown on Wednesday, until shortly after sundown on Saturday. This means that he was in his tomb for three full days and three full nights – i.e. 72 hours.
4. There are two main reasons why Jesus needed to be in his tomb for three full days and nights: To fulfill his own prophesy (from Matthew 12), and to convince everyone that he had actually died (as opposed to being in a “comatose” state, and then recovering on his own.) 5. Shortly after sundown on Saturday, God resurrected Jesus – and Jesus emerged from his tomb! The above doctrine is supported by Scripture; and it is also consistent with the culture of Israel in the 1st century.

Blessings.
No, if Christ was buried before sundown He had to be raised before sundown or the fourth day would have started. That would be more than 72 hours. The Bible does not say when He emerged, but that He was already raised before dawn on the first day. :)

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
No, if Christ was buried before sundown He had to be raised before sundown or the fourth day would have started. That would be more than 72 hours. The Bible does not say when He emerged, but that He was already raised before dawn on the first day. :)
Lol.....Im sure God did not lose track of time. No need to worry about this incident.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Has this guy Leewhoever come back to comment since posting this thread?

No?

Hmm

Clue?

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
in Luke and John's account, the word " dawn " is used.

dawn, in the greek, means ..... dawn. daybreak.

so, the " Jesus rose on the Sabbath " conspiracy theory debunked.

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
Evening aprox 6pm in Israel. And their days begin with evening.
I have heard that too, yet the four Gospels seem to infer that the beginning of the day is at sunrise.

In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. Matthew 28:1

And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun. Mark 16:2

Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them. Luke 24:1

The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre. .John 20:1
KJV

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
I have heard that too, yet the four Gospels seem to infer that the beginning of the day is at sunrise.

In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. Matthew 28:1

And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun. Mark 16:2

Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them. Luke 24:1

The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre. .John 20:1
KJV
KJV
Gen 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
(NOTE: The evening and the morning were the first day.)

KJV
Lev 23:32, the Lord said, "From even unto even shall ye celebrate your Sabbath."
(NOTE: From evening to evening Sabbath shall be celebrated)

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/526873/jewish/The-Jewish-Day.htm
"And it was evening and it was morning, one day" (Genesis 1:5).
Jewish Calendar Date
When G‑d created time, He first created night and then day. Therefore, a Jewish calendar date begins with the night beforehand. While a day in the secular calendar begins and ends at midnight, a

Jewish day goes from nightfall to nightfall.

""""Shabbat begins on Friday night""""" and a yahrtzeit lamp is kindled the evening before the yahrtzeit (anniversary of a person's passing), before nightfall. If the 10th of Iyar falls on a Wednesday, and a child is born Wednesday night after dark, the child's birthday is the 11th of Iyar

[PDF]
WHEN DOES THE DAY BEGIN? - Jewish Bible Quarterly
www.jbq.jewishbible.org/assets/Uploads/362/362_day.pdf
WHEN DOES THE DAY BEGIN?

YOSEF GREEN

Ancient, medieval, and modern commentators on the Bible disagree over the meaning of Genesis 1:5: . . . there was evening and there was morning, one day.

It is beyond doubt that mainstream Judaism understood "day" to commence at sundown and to end at the ensuing nightfall.

Accordingly, the Sabbath is taken to extend from Friday evening [erev Shabbat] to Saturday evening [b'motza'ei Shabbat].

cv5

Nov 20, 2018

KJV
What you are dealing with is two different reckonings of starts of the day.
The ancient Jewish formula was starting the day at sunset. However in the Galilee region, they held to the Greek formula of starting the day at morning. This fact reconciles the early Passover held by Jesus and the Apostles. These facts are well testified to by Josephus and other historians.
Furthermore, it is said that the religious authorities allowed this Passover overlap, as it eased the workload on the priests and logistically it was helpful. The point is that the bible uses both reckonings in different places.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Shoot........my days and nights have been mixed up for so long, I ain't got a clue when one starts and the other ends........... y'all get it figured out, lemme know ok?