Did people in Jesus' time know he was born of a virgin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

rtb

Banned
May 25, 2011
Does the bible mention what people thought about Jesus being born of a virgin? Was it town gossip? Obviously, this isn't a common occurrence so what was people's reaction? What were Mary's thoughts?

Last edited:

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The people waiting for the Messiah were of the faith of Abraham. Isaiah, a major prophet of that people's faith, informed them a child would be born of a virgin, and He would be the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. (please do not split a hair here, Prince of Peace is the Only Begotten Son.)
Of course, all who were of the faith knew and awaited a virgin to give birth to Yeshua, Jesus.

rtb

Banned
May 25, 2011
Ok, but did the people know that Jesus was born of a virgin? If they did then did they instantly know he was the Messiah? Or not until
after his resurrection? The reason I ask this is because if you imagine a woman today claiming she has been impregnated by God
chances are you wouldn't believe her. Back then did people just go "Hey there's goes Jesus, he was born of a virgin you know."
Was the virgin birth just "accepted" by the people at the time? Also, I'm still looking for Mary's take on the ordeal. Surely if you've
been impregnated by a supernatural being you would tell someone and some details would arise!

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Ok, but did the people know that Jesus was born of a virgin? If they did then did they instantly know he was the Messiah? Or not until
after his resurrection? The reason I ask this is because if you imagine a woman today claiming she has been impregnated by God
chances are you wouldn't believe her. Back then did people just go "Hey there's goes Jesus, he was born of a virgin you know."
Was the virgin birth just "accepted" by the people at the time? Also, I'm still looking for Mary's take on the ordeal. Surely if you've
been impregnated by a supernatural being you would tell someone and some details would arise!

So sorry, of course they knew, but only after His mission, His crucifixion, and His resurrection, and then only those who believed Moses and the prophets, because they spoke of Him. So, naturally, those Jews, and later gentiles, who believed Him knew He is the One Who was born of a virgin.

rtb

Banned
May 25, 2011
What I can't comprehend is the fact that these people knew that Jesus was born of a virgin and just walking around.
They didn't think that was strange?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
What I can't comprehend is the fact that these people knew that Jesus was born of a virgin and just walking around.
Again, it is only the people who believed, and today the people who believe.
Just about everything in the Word of God is foolishness to those who are perishing.

rtb

Banned
May 25, 2011
Thank you for your assumption that I am "Suffering death, typically in a violent, sudden, or untimely way."
That sounds like a very Christian way to think and speak to other people. Your rationalization doesn't do
much to strengthen my faith.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Thank you for your assumption that I am "Suffering death, typically in a violent, sudden, or untimely way."
That sounds like a very Christian way to think and speak to other people. Your rationalization doesn't do
much to strengthen my faith.
No, forgive me totally if you took it that way, I was simply repeating what is said about those who scoff at the Word. You are simply asking questions. Am I forgiven??? I pray so, I want you always with our Lord in love and peace, amen.

Jun 24, 2010
The majority of the Jews did not know that this child was born of a virgin because it was kept in secrecy (Mt 1:18,19) and there was no attention put upon him until the age of (12) and you can decide for yourself what this was in (Lk 2:40-49). Even those of the Jews that knew of the prophecy of the coming Emmanuel being born of a virgin in (Is 7:14), they did not know that this was the child, even though the virgin birth was to be for a sign. The people were not walking around thinking that this child Jesus, born to Mary, was strange because they did not know he was born of a virgin. If they had known she could have been rejected as a fornicator by her espoused husband and by the people according to the law, but she was not subject to that shame or rejection from others, but she and her husband with the child did flee to Eqypt being warned concerning Herod's edict. Read the account in (Mt 2) and see what you can glean from it.

Think of these verses of scripture in relationship to what the Jews had known of him... (Jn 1:5,11, 8:54-59, Mt 13:54-56).

O

OFM

i personally spiritually think that they knew.

G

greatblue

The majority of the Jews did not know that this child was born of a virgin because it was kept in secrecy (Mt 1:18,19) and there was no attention put upon him until the age of (12) and you can decide for yourself what this was in (Lk 2:40-49). Even those of the Jews that knew of the prophecy of the coming Emmanuel being born of a virgin in (Is 7:14), they did not know that this was the child, even though the virgin birth was to be for a sign. The people were not walking around thinking that this child Jesus, born to Mary, was strange because they did not know he was born of a virgin. If they had known she could have been rejected as a fornicator by her espoused husband and by the people according to the law, but she was not subject to that shame or rejection from others, but she and her husband with the child did flee to Eqypt being warned concerning Herod's edict. Read the account in (Mt 2) and see what you can glean from it.

Think of these verses of scripture in relationship to what the Jews had known of him... (Jn 1:5,11, 8:54-59, Mt 13:54-56).
Apart from Scribes and Sadducees, I would imagine that accessibility of scripture was almost nonexistent. If anything, the Torah was the bulk of Jewish knowledge and practice. When you look into the historical life of Jews, their daily lives were filled with paying close attention to the letter of the Law. Also, because the majority of God's word always pointed toward the Messiah, one verse calling forth Jesus' virgin birth by the prophet Isaiah would be like a needle in a haystack. Not only this, but we have to remember that there were 400 years of prophetic silence following Malachai and 700 years between Isaiah and Jesus' birth. I am only postulating here, but it would reason to consider these points.