Did the Church institute Dec 25th to replace Pagan Festivals with a Christian Theme?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CS1

May 23, 2012
How is it a red herring? If God wanted us to celebrate the birth of Jesus..he would have given us a date, don’t ya think? But that’s not why God sent His Son so we could set up trees and decorate them to celebrate the birth of His Son when we don’t really know the exact day.

Not only that we would have seen christmas being celebrated by them as well...Jesus would have talked about His birthday celebrations but no...He talked about the Father and His death and his followers sharing the Good News. That’s what was meaningful with His coming..

Philippians 2:5-8​
Have this attitude in yourself which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, he humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
The Lord God did not say we cannot render honor to whom Honor is due. There are many things in the word of God that happened that we do not have dates for, in which we still recognize as a very important event. The idea that just because We don't know when doesn't mean we don't know how. I guess we should tare up the Tomb of the "Unknown Solider" because we don't know who he is. It is pagan to do such a thing to render honor to a guy we don't know he is that died on a battle field.

CS1

May 23, 2012
ok, so what is advent ?
And where in the Bible is it ?
Advent is word that speak about specific time and a season recorded in the Bible. What is the word Trinity? That word is not in the Bible also? The term "Nicene Creed" is not found in the bible but it is Biblical sound teaching Please let me know what you see that is not agreeable :

We believe in one God,
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
begotten from the Father before all ages,
God from God,
Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made;
of the same essence as the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven;
he became incarnate by the Holy Spirit and the virgin Mary,
and was made human.
He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered and was buried.
The third day he rose again, according to the Scriptures.
He ascended to heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again with glory
to judge the living and the dead.
His kingdom will never end.

And we believe in the Holy Spirit,
the Lord, the giver of life.
He proceeds from the Father and the Son,
and with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified.
He spoke through the prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church.
We affirm one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look forward to the resurrection of the dead,
and to life in the world to come. Amen.

all of these words are said and submitted as a Creed came from the very word of God. The Nicene Creed is not the authoritative word of God but it is a great statement and witness to the faith of the church leaders of that time. It is praise worthy but not to be worshiped. It is to be honored but not elevated above the word of God. Just like the Advent season.

CS1

May 23, 2012
apparently it's the day when the gifts were put away in boxes. Does anyone have a different idea about it ?
apparently so

Nov 15, 2020
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Advent is word that speak about specific time and a season recorded in the Bible. What is the word Trinity? That word is not in the Bible also? The term "Nicene Creed" is not found in the bible but it is Biblical sound teaching Please let me know what you see that is not agreeable :

We believe in one God,
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
begotten from the Father before all ages,
God from God,
Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made;
of the same essence as the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven;
he became incarnate by the Holy Spirit and the virgin Mary,
and was made human.
He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered and was buried.
The third day he rose again, according to the Scriptures.
He ascended to heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again with glory
to judge the living and the dead.
His kingdom will never end.

And we believe in the Holy Spirit,
the Lord, the giver of life.
He proceeds from the Father and the Son,
and with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified.
He spoke through the prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church.
We affirm one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look forward to the resurrection of the dead,
and to life in the world to come. Amen.

all of these words are said and submitted as a Creed came from the very word of God. The Nicene Creed is not the authoritative word of God but it is a great statement and witness to the faith of the church leaders of that time. It is praise worthy but not to be worshiped. It is to be honored but not elevated above the word of God. Just like the Advent season.
but where is advent in the Bible ?

CS1

May 23, 2012
but where is advent in the Bible ?
I answered that for you. Please sho me where solise is in the Bible and how it is related to The Birth of Jesus ?

CS1

May 23, 2012
you haven't answered.
What is the scripture reference ?
listen I told you Advent is a word used to speak about a season in context to the History of the Christian church of the birth of Christ.
the word Advent comes from the latin word meaning " coming", translation of the Greek word parousia that means visit or arrival.
the context is found in Matthew 2:1 and John 2:1. The Advent is also about the forerunner of the Christ, known as John the Baptist. many scholars understood this and it has been taught in orthodox Christianity since the 4th century. it was not until later that roman Christians tied it to the coming of Christ but not the one of His birth but of the second coming.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I thought Boxing Day was for adults and christmas was for children, I could be wrong though.
Boxing Day is when the adults get spend all their money on their own gifts nobody else bought them. Adults get to treat themselves.

It is not a day as some pagans in the distant past might have celebrated it, observed by fighting each other to death in the boxing ring.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
listen I told you Advent is a word used to speak about a season in context to the History of the Christian church of the birth of Christ.
the word Advent comes from the latin word meaning " coming", translation of the Greek word parousia that means visit or arrival.
the context is found in Matthew 2:1 and John 2:1. The Advent is also about the forerunner of the Christ, known as John the Baptist. many scholars understood this and it has been taught in orthodox Christianity since the 4th century. it was not until later that roman Christians tied it to the coming of Christ but not the one of His birth but of the second coming.
hah I always thought the seventh day adventists were a bit cheeky trying to celebrate two advents and claiming the rcc church had it all wrong when they were just riffing of them all the time anyway.

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
The Lord God did not say we cannot render honor to whom Honor is due. There are many things in the word of God that happened that we do not have dates for, in which we still recognize as a very important event. The idea that just because We don't know when doesn't mean we don't know how. I guess we should tare up the Tomb of the "Unknown Solider" because we don't know who he is. It is pagan to do such a thing to render honor to a guy we don't know he is that died on a battle field.
Why would you equate celebrating a birthday of God who has always existed and still exists to the tomb of the unknown soldier? What do those two things have in common?

But..for the unknown soldier...we happen to know that there are men who have died in battle and they were for what ever reasons never id’d. With no one to claim them..its respectful to remember them.

But as for God...we celebrate the birth of an immortal God...that alone is wrong. Especially when you take into account He came to die for us, to take the punishment for our sin to reconcile us to the Father. Why then should we celebrate the ’birth’ of an immortal God..and what does that have to do with why he came? Nothing that I can reason out.

We also don’t know the exact date He was born. Usually to honor someone‘s birthday you celebrate it on the date. Only makes sense...but not Jesus we celebrate on a date that was a pagan holiday...sounds pretty iffy and disrespectful actually. I don’t think I would feel celebrated if someone celebrated my birthday in July and I was born in November.

Can you tell me why the tree though? What does that really have to do with Jesus birthday or wishing people a merry christmas as a birthday greeting? I don’t get it.

Nov 15, 2020
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Why would you equate celebrating a birthday of God who has always existed and still exists to the tomb of the unknown soldier? What do those two things have in common?

But..for the unknown soldier...we happen to know that there are men who have died in battle and they were for what ever reasons never id’d. With no one to claim them..its respectful to remember them.

But as for God...we celebrate the birth of an immortal God...that alone is wrong. Especially when you take into account He came to die for us, to take the punishment for our sin to reconcile us to the Father. Why then should we celebrate the ’birth’ of an immortal God..and what does that have to do with why he came? Nothing that I can reason out.

We also don’t know the exact date He was born. Usually to honor someone‘s birthday you celebrate it on the date. Only makes sense...but not Jesus we celebrate on a date that was a pagan holiday...sounds pretty iffy and disrespectful actually. I don’t think I would feel celebrated if someone celebrated my birthday in July and I was born in November.

Can you tell me why the tree though? What does that really have to do with Jesus birthday or wishing people a merry christmas as a birthday greeting? I don’t get it.
when is your birthday ?

Nov 21, 2017
Put yourself in His place in this time 2000 years after the day you were born. Imagine what someone trying to put an end to remembering the day you were born looks like. How it would make you feel.

I don't see Jesus frowning upon people who want to hold a day special to rejoice and celebrate that day . The day God took His first breath of 7air. I do see Him frowning on those who say 'Jesus never said to do that.......you think He's supposed to 'command' that? Thou shalt party on my birthday.!...or thou shalt not party on my birthday....lol

All that matters is what Christmas means right now. On that day that was picked His warmth still permeates the land.... a little. Those who love who's warmth it is love it no matter where it's found knowing it belongs to them.
What if Jesus is looking down frowning because many of those who proclaim they are celebrating his birth are actually celebrating their selves and their families?

A person on here posted his celebration for Jesus, it consisted of buying gifts for his family, having a dinner with his family, traveling to visit extended family, having a pot luck with Church family (which you see each week already), decorates a tree, and sends out cards.

Which one of those best represents the celebration of Christ?

Are many Christians just using "Christmas" as an excuse to celebrate their family?

Jesus said:
Luk 14:12 Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.
Luk 14:13 But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:
Luk 14:14 And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

AND what about the lies that are being told? How many "Christians" lie to their children and tell them take a fake man dressed in red, with a white beard and a sleigh brings them gifts?
Just proclaiming Dec. 25 it Christ's birthday is another lie. Because no one knows when Jesus was born. The Bible don't say.

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
What if Jesus is looking down frowning because many of those who proclaim they are celebrating his birth are actually celebrating their selves and their families?

A person on here posted his celebration for Jesus, it consisted of buying gifts for his family, having a dinner with his family, traveling to visit extended family, having a pot luck with Church family (which you see each week already), decorates a tree, and sends out cards.

Which one of those best represents the celebration of Christ?

Are many Christians just using "Christmas" as an excuse to celebrate their family?

Jesus said:
Luk 14:12 Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.
Luk 14:13 But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:
Luk 14:14 And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

AND what about the lies that are being told? How many "Christians" lie to their children and tell them take a fake man dressed in red, with a white beard and a sleigh brings them gifts?
Just proclaiming Dec. 25 it Christ's birthday is another lie. Because no one knows when Jesus was born. The Bible don't say.
When I used to celebrate the season...believing that Jesus was the reason for the season...it was all to honor God..I thought and carry on the traditions that I enjoyed from when I was a kid. I then tried when I had kids to make it all about Jesus..thinking that would be good..but one year I felt like God sat me down and asked me to think about what I was doing.

First off..why a tree? Why do we put up a tree and decorate it and think that somehow honors the Father or celebrates the birth of Jesus? As I sat there watching the lights flashing on the tree...I knew...I knew..it has nothing to do with Jesus.

Then He asked me to think about merry christmas. What does that really mean? Merry..um...I don’t know really to be cheerful. Then onto christmas...what did that mean. When you break it down it all comes down to meaning Christ mass. Christians don’t celebrate mass and the catholics do. It became apparent to me then that this was a catholic holiday. And I knew...I knew..I could no longer celebrate something that had nothing at all to do with Jesus.

I also realized that God is eternal..and yes, Jesus came down from heaven to be born a baby to save us from sin...but that was the reason for His coming to earth...not to be celebrated like a human and having a birthday. We seem to forget that Jesus coming to earth as a human had one goal...to reconcile the world to His Father by being the once for all sacrifice for sin. That is what we really should focus on...sharing the Good News instead of focusing on things that really don’t matter Biblically speaking.

CS1

May 23, 2012

The Birth of God is not the creation of God. The Spirit of Christ has always existed. 2. That Body which was born of women, beaten, died and rose again will be literally coming back. That Today will be seen and will be touched . TO render honor to the lord on the advent IS NOT unbiblical no more than rendering honor to mary who gave Birth to HIM. In fact it is in the very word of God

" ALL Men shall call you Blessed " the word all in the Greek means ALL>.

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
The Birth of God is not the creation of God. The Spirit of Christ has always existed. 2. That Body which was born of women, beaten, died and rose again will be literally coming back. That Today will be seen and will be touched . TO render honor to the lord on the advent IS NOT unbiblical no more than rendering honor to mary who gave Birth to HIM. In fact it is in the very word of God

" ALL Men shall call you Blessed " the word all in the Greek means ALL>.
It’s un-Biblical in the sense I’ve already described.

CS1

May 23, 2012
It’s un-Biblical in the sense I’ve already described.
no it is not unbiblical that is your opinion. If I wanted to celebrate the birth of the Lord Jesus everyday it would not save me nor would it hurt my salvation. I am not dammed by the flames of Hell because I say Merry Christmas or give gifts to those I love. IF you don't want great don't but you will not say it is unbiblical because you don't like Christmas. That is your opinion . NOT everything you do is listed in the Bible as if it is biblical or not. YOU watch tv ? I bet you there are more issues with your problem if you watch any secular program today.

History channel ran by atheist and deny Gods existence they created program attacking the word of God yet many christians support the "lost gospel" series .

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
no it is not unbiblical that is your opinion. If I wanted to celebrate the birth of the Lord Jesus everyday it would not save me nor would it hurt my salvation. I am not dammed by the flames of Hell because I say Merry Christmas or give gifts to those I love. IF you don't want great don't but you will not say it is unbiblical because you don't like Christmas. That is your opinion . NOT everything you do is listed in the Bible as if it is biblical or not. YOU watch tv ? I bet you there are more issues with your problem if you watch any secular program today.

History channel ran by atheist and deny Gods existence they created program attacking the word of God yet many christians support the "lost gospel" series .
I never said any one was damned if they do it. But realize that celebrating men’s traditions isn’t Biblical. Is setting up a tree Biblical and where in the Bible can I find that? Did the apostles do that and did hey even celebrate Jesus birth in scripture? No to both. I think we can and should teach Jesus birth..it is Biblical but celebrating His ‘birthday’ is not.

Why do you say merry christmas? What is the significance of that phrase to you.? What do you think it means.

I don’t watch a lot of tv...I would rather do other things than pollute my mind that way.