C
CRC
Guest
Moses was a great leader; he was a legislator, a prophet, a miracle worker, a teacher, and a judge. He was also a mediator, the only prophet who had mediated a covenant between God and man (in this case, the nation of Israel). A prophet truly like him would have to do something similar. Does this mean that God intended that the Law covenant be superseded by another covenant? Yes, it does. Through the prophet Jeremiah, God clearly stated his intention to conclude a new covenant. A new covenant would require a new mediator. Only someone like Moses could fit the requirements for such an assignment.
It was about 900 years after Moses that Jeremiah conveyed to the nation of Israel God’s words: “See, a time is coming—declares the LORD—when I will make a new covenant with the House of Israel and the House of Judah. It will not be like the covenant I made with their fathers, when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, a covenant which they broke, . . .—declares the LORD. But such is the covenant I will make with the House of Israel after these days . . . I will forgive their iniquities, and remember their sins no more.”—Jeremiah 31:31-34. This New Covenant would not have the same dietary regulations as the Mosaic Law Covenant. Whereas adherence to a specific dietary code would not be required at the same time it would not be forbidden either. Each Christian in this New Covenant would be free choose their own diet.