Why and when did God establish dietary laws/ordinances?
When were they first defined? We don’t really know. The first reference to clean beasts are given to us in Genesis when Noah was gathering for the ark.
Gen. 7:2: “Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.”
I am going to assume it was with Adam in the Garden of Eden. Why? Well, we will have to ask ourselves who instructed Adam and why he was instructed. On who, we can conclude it was Christ Himself that dealt with all the old patriarchs (see 1Cor. 10:4 and John 8:58). On why, we might guess the Lord wanted what was good for His people, health wise.
Give me your thoughts on this subject.
View attachment 178876
Good topic,
I agree that God Gave His Children instructions from the beginning. What is Holy, what is not. what is Sanctified, what is not. What is clean and what is not. What is food and what is not.
If human's teach their children their versions of these things, how much more would God?
For me, God's Instructions in my mind (Heart) is a constant reminder of Him. A safe guard.
Deut. 6:
5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
6 And these words, which I command thee this day,
shall be in thine heart:
7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou
sittest in thine house, and when thou
walkest by the way, and when thou
liest down, and when thou
risest up.
8 And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.
Jesus said that what comes from without does not defile a man, but what comes from within. Well, what does come from within? Rebellion, deception, disrespect, dishonor, disobedience, hatred, selfishness, pride, covetousness, lust.
It's not the naked woman that defiles the man, but the desire to look on and lust after, that comes from within. This is the enemy of a Christian.
It is not the strangled animal, or the pig that defiles a man, it is the natural desire to rebel and disobey God and His instructions that defile a man.
God created all things. He created things used for food and created things we are not to use for food. This makes me think about Him when I'm shopping, eating dinner, cooking dinner. I am forced to deny myself and listen to Jesus who created these things before becoming a man. I am submitting myself to the Great God of Abraham and His instructions, and not following my own.
As such I understand why Jesus created for us what to eat and what not to eat, and why He followed these same instructions. I understand why He cast the evil spirits into pigs and not sheep. I also understand why modern "Ministers of Righteousness" preach so hard against them.
As Paul said, "Let each man be fully convinced in their own mind" for we all shall give account to the one Great God.