Difficult Situation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
Hey everyone, I am currently in a difficult situation.

Difficult as in, hard choices, as opposed to poverty or that sort of matter.

SECTION 1a: A Very, very, very General Gist

I took a final "exam" for [insert subject] for school.
I was allowed to retake it.
I asked my teacher if he's allowed to do that.
He said no and asked me to keep it a secret between him and me.

SECTION 1b: Disclaimers

My teacher has shown me massive respect, and I'd like to say that I'm grateful for the new perspective on [insert subject] I've gained while being in his course.

Also, it's late and I would like to go to sleep, therefore I would like to choose to not proofread my entire post before posting it. I will probably proofread it tomorrow, I hope. So, I might have a mistake in the post.

SECTION 2: Section 1a, but more detailed

Please understand for this exam, we were given the chance to take it from home. I suppose it wouldn't be fair if someone was staring down the face-to-face students (not allowing them to use a single resource) taking an exam while the virtual students were doing who knows what.
1st Attempt
For my first attempt, I was running low on time because I accidentally started the exam and I could've been more prepared. I had gotten a failing score, which put my grade at a B.

If we examine the structure of my [insert subject] final exam, students are given a [insert time] window in which they are given [insert time] to complete an "exam," with the time given to complete the exam being much shorter than the window. I believe students can simply go home and very easily try to look up what they desire, given the great lack of testing security.

On my first attempt, to some extent, I did utilize resources outside the test to my advantage (I'm not sure if that's allowed). From what I've seen, there seem to have been teachers who have allowed resources, and others haven't.

2nd Attempt

On my second attempt, I was much more prepared because I knew what was on the exam. There was at least one questionable act I committed, not counting other things.

Ask

I asked my teacher if he's allowed to reopen my exam (which he did)
He said no and asked me to keep it a secret between him and me.

ENDING

After requesting to get my final exam grade changed from the higher grade to the lower grade, my teacher declined, and told me that he believes I'm one of the few students in [insert course name] for him that "honestly" deserves an A. He used a perception of my academic integrety, honesty, and having enjoyed seeing me work hard. To be honest, I'm not sure I deserve the A, I don't think I've worked all that hard in the class.

I could argue a case that I might have a higher mastery in [insert course name] than most others (I don't have evidence to back this up though)

SECTION 3: Commentary on the System

If we examine the structure of my [insert subject] final exam, students are given a one-day window in which they are given two hours to complete an "exam." I believe students can simply go home and very easily try to look up what they desire, given the great lack of testing security.

We have principle, policy, and practice.

I'm not sure how real these are (in terms of, what I'm assigning them to, I suppose), but I'd like to use them to demonstrate my point.

Principle - Fair opportunities for students
Policy - no retaking
Practice - bad

I think I already know the answer to this, and it's gonna be something I don't like (but then again, I'm sure there have been a good amount of things God would say no to, but I would like, right?), but
if (and I'm just throwing out numbers here) 99 people cheat and 1 person doesn't, and they all end up with the same grade, is it more just to punish the 99, or to leave everyone be? How about, is it okay to bend the rules a bit for that 1 person?

Does the 1 person "deserve" a higher grade than the 99?

But then again my situation isn't exactly the same as what I had described there, is it now? Maybe

Also, I'm not sure if people in the future are gonna be like "yeah everyone cheated that year, let's cut people slack" or if they're gonna be like "well, let's just assume every individual had academic integrity to the truest level."

SECTION 4: The Problems

1) Breaking the Rule(s)

I think Romans 13:1 is a good verse to look at for my situation.

"Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God" (Romans 13:1 NLT).

Basically, was what my teacher did wrong?

2) "Looking Bad"

After my horrible exam attempt (the first one) asked my teacher if there was anything I could do for extra credit, To be honest, this problem doesn't seem like a very big deal.

3) Potential Teacher Trouble

I'm concerned my teacher might lose their job (or worse) by having reopened the exam for me.

5) Parents Situation

I feel like I'm in a position where I've fallen in love with academics, and there were a lot of things, and I mean a lot, of things that I could've done differently and better this school year with regards to academics. I think my non-Christian parents will be very unhappy if they see a B, and I think my mother will blame me being a Christian for me having a B, but I think I can provide sufficient explanation and defend myself.

SECTION 5: My Solution Proposal(s), and Their Flaw(s)

My teacher might retire after next school year. Or he might teach at a different school or even a different school in a different school system or something. Maybe after next school year I can try to get my grade changed without him getting in trouble.

Flaws
-maybe he won't retire and maybe he'll keep teaching at the school
-maybe there is punishment beyond his teaching career for doing what he did
-awards for me
-"wrong" data (if u consider it that) that could "benefit" me

SECTION 6: Golden Occurrence?

If I somehow convinced him to change his mind and have the first attempt exam score count and have the second attempt exam score not count, I think the situation would be cleaner.

POSSIBLE PROBLEM: It is 5/28 (where I live), today was the last day of school, and my teacher might not check emails for a good bit, and I don't think grades are posted until 6/1

IN ADDITION TO THAT POSSIBLE PROBLEM: After 6/1 it's possible you'd have to go through a long process of having important people sign documents, and I don't want my teacher to get in trouble.

SECTION 7: The Big Idea
At the end of the day, I think what we have is a situation where we have to see which bears more weight, my teacher's perception of my academic integrity and (to a certain extent) my work or a rule (if the rule is a rule, that is. Which I have good reason to believe has some sort of rule-ness, or something).

SECTION 8: Some Stuff to Keep in Mind
I'm not sure what I was permitted to use, and what I wasn't permitted to use (in regards to resources and tools for the final exam for [insert subject].

This school year was a new thing, what with virtual students and face-to-face students. Does that change what is right and what is wrong necessarily? To a certain extent perhaps? I'm not trying to necessarily state that rules are not rules. But when is it okay to bend a rule? And when is it okay to break a rule?

SECTION 9: Closing comment

By all means, please please please feel free to comment any comments, replies, or concerns you would like to tell. Maybe you need clarity on something. I'm sorry this post was super long, and I'm very grateful if you sat through the entire thing. Honestly, I might've left out something important. However, I believe my question to you is, what should I do?

Thank you, and
God bless!

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
Something I'd like to add is (and maybe my post didn't clearly reflect this)
if no one finds out, I think we're both technically "safe,"
but if the "wrong" person finds out, I assume he is in potential trouble

something like that

EDIT: but if my better final exam score counts and the worse one doesn't, then I don't think the reopening matters, probably

EDIT: also I'd like to mention the exam only allowed x hours, but for my second attempt my teacher accidentally gave me double that time and I told him about it and he replied (I did set a timer on my phone and used less than the normal time though).

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
I think I forgot to clearly mention this.
With the higher exam score, I have an A in the class, but with the lower exam score, I have a B in the class. I believe this can affect things like my GPA, class rank, college admissions, and more I guess.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Which is more important to you: the grade, or your integrity?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Then do the right thing, as you understand it in this situation.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Hmm, what if my teacher gets in trouble?
Why should you be concerned about the repercussions of someone else's wrongdoing? YOU do the right thing. If you act out of fear, you aren't acting out of integrity.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
Why should you be concerned about the repercussions of someone else's wrongdoing? YOU do the right thing. If you act out of fear, you aren't acting out of integrity.
I mean, it’s techincally my fault if he gets in trouble though right? I was the one who took the exam twice. Why should I put him at risk to be potentially punished?

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
But uh,
I appreciate you taking the time to respond man.
But when u refer to integrity (this is regarding your first reply and second reply),
Are you talking about rules, academic honesty, or a combination of both?
I think it’d help if you clarified 😅

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
But uh,
I appreciate you taking the time to respond man.
But when u refer to integrity (this is regarding your first reply and second reply),
Are you talking about rules, academic honesty, or a combination of both?
I think it’d help if you clarified 😅
Integrity is not primarily about rules; it's about acting consistently with your beliefs. If you believe that you have done wrong by taking the exam twice, and clearly your conscience is bothering you about it, then you need to request the lower grade from your first exam, regardless of the consequences to you or the teacher.

If, on the other hand, you feel that you have done the right thing by admitting to your teacher that you took it twice, and the teacher made the decision to give you the higher grade anyway, that's on the teacher, not on you. You don't need to take it any farther.

I don't know how much brain space you're giving this, but given that you have made at least two threads on this forum about conscience-related matters, it seems that you are getting yourself in knots. That's a great way to make yourself neurotic. Get over it. Learn how to process these things in prayer with God, and move on.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
Integrity is not primarily about rules; it's about acting consistently with your beliefs. If you believe that you have done wrong by taking the exam twice, and clearly your conscience is bothering you about it, then you need to request the lower grade from your first exam, regardless of the consequences to you or the teacher.

If, on the other hand, you feel that you have done the right thing by admitting to your teacher that you took it twice, and the teacher made the decision to give you the higher grade anyway, that's on the teacher, not on you. You don't need to take it any farther.

I don't know how much brain space you're giving this, but given that you have made at least two threads on this forum about conscience-related matters, it seems that you are getting yourself in knots. That's a great way to make yourself neurotic. Get over it. Learn how to process these things in prayer with God, and move on.
Hmm, if you don’t mind me asking, did you happen to read the entire post as well as the two follow up comments I made? I of course understand that I typed a lot and I’m sorry.

But I’d like to say that I didn’t take it twice without his permission. I took it once and asked him if there was anything I could do for extra points for my grade, and he reopened the exam for me (which I think is not allowed).

But basically I mentioned “rules” because of my concern with him bending or breaking what’s not “allowed.”

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021

But I’m curious if you think I should tell an administrator about the matter.

I asked my teacher to switch my exam grade from the higher one to the lower one (which would make my grade in the class go from an A to an B) but he declined and provided reason(s) as to why.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
But I’m curious if you think I should tell an administrator about the matter.

I asked my teacher to switch my exam grade from the higher one to the lower one (which would make my grade in the class go from an A to an B) but he declined and provided reason(s) as to why.
Then leave it. You acted according to your conscience, and your teacher made the decision. Thank the Lord for the blessing and move on.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
Then leave it. You acted according to your conscience, and your teacher made the decision. Thank the Lord for the blessing and move on.
I’m grateful for it!
But do you think it’s okay if my teacher broke a rule in the process? By reopening the exam for me

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
Actually, I don’t know if he broke a “rule,” but he told me that what he did wasn’t allowed and he told me to keep it a secret

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Again, you did your part. He made his own decision. Leave it in the Lord's hands. There is no point in dredging it up before an administrator; you would not be satisfying your integrity, but your ego.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
Again, you did your part. He made his own decision. Leave it in the Lord's hands. There is no point in dredging it up before an administrator; you would not be satisfying your integrity, but your ego.
Dino246, thank you for being gracious enough to assist me through matters.