Divisions In The Church And False Teachings/Doctrine

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

Donkeyfish07

Regardless of your denomination or what disagreements people on CC may have, I think we have all seen false doctrine taught at some point in our life. We were warned about this in scripture but the level on which it happens is amazing and horrible. I would have included a poll with this post but I'm not sure how to do that.

Once a person is indwelt by the Holy Spirit, I think we can all agree that the person will be led to the truth. My theory on why there is so much division in the Church is because people are not so much building a direct relationship with the Lord, it's more that an average Christian just goes to Church on Sunday and many don't study the bible on their own. Will believe any form of doctrine handed down to them by someone preaching. If a false teacher is peddling false doctrine somewhere, there are people that just buy it hook, line, and sinker just because they assume that it's the correct teaching. Like, this man claims to be a preacher so I should just believe what he says.....and the personal relationship is totally skipped over.

God isn't the author of confusion. The reason the Church is so divided is because the Church is under spiritual attack. That's another fact people tend to forget. People forget that there are demons, there are sorcerers, there are satanists actively attacking people on a spiritual level. School systems and so called "Science" disregards all of these things and says they are mere rubbish. I think it has an effect when you are immersed in the world all the time trying to make a living and spend a relatively little amount of time with God and reading his word.

A lot of people don't think a lot about demonic influence. Scripture is sometimes used to support false teachings as well. The bible says a teacher must rightly divide the word of truth and I think it's important to keep that in mind. The best example I have ever seen of rightly and wrongly dividing the word of Truth comes from scripture. When Satan was tempting Jesus in the wilderness in Matthew Chapter 4

"
[SUP]1[/SUP] Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
[SUP]2[/SUP] And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
[SUP]3[/SUP] And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
[SUP]4[/SUP] But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
[SUP]5[/SUP] Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
[SUP]6[/SUP] And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
[SUP]7[/SUP] Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
[SUP]8[/SUP] Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
[SUP]9[/SUP] And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
[SUP]10[/SUP] Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
[SUP]11[/SUP] Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him."

When the devil said...."If thou be the Son Of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee and in their hands they shall bear thee up, let at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone."..... The devil is the father of all lies and is the most skilled deceiver that exists. It is written as he said but that was not rightly divided. This is why Jesus replied "It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God". Jesus rightly divided the word of truth. I've thought about this scripture many times over the years. I've come to call this type of abuse of scripture "The Devil's Argument". I've seen that same type of deceptive strategy used to support false doctrine many times.

That's just an example of the many traps that are laid out there for us in the world. Can you guys think of any ideas on how to stem the tide of false teachers and doctrines creeping into our Churches?

C

CompPgmr

The problem is that people are afraid, afraid to submit to the Lord and Holy Spirit. Some years ago I asked the Lord to remove all in my life that was not of Him. It has been a long process, the first part was for me to lay it all down, all that I thought I knew especially, most of what I had learned up to that point was false. I recently challenged a person to do the same thing but he refused. He gave an excuse but the real reason was fear, fear that the they would lose friends, maybe even family, etc. etc. Fear that those he disagreed with could actually be right. Fear that he could not trust the Lord to teach him right, that after praing this prayer of total submission, the Lord would let him be lied to.

Joseph

Nov 26, 2011
One must do this...

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2Ti 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Workman
- G2040 - ergatēs
From G2041; a toiler; figuratively a teacher: - labourer, worker (-men).

Dividing - G3718 - orthotomeō
From a compound of G3717 and the base of G5114; to make a straight cut, that is, (figuratively) to dissect (expound) correctly (the divine message): - rightly divide.

Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

One must be diligent.

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Diligently - G1567 - ekzēteō
From G1537 and G2212; to search out, that is, (figuratively) investigate, crave, demand, (by Hebraism) worship: - en- (re-) quire, seek after (carefully, diligently).

Jesus made an interesting statement at the end of the parable of the sower when He referred to how we ought to hear.

Luk 8:15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.
Luk 8:16 No man, when he hath lighted a candle, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on a candlestick, that they which enter in may see the light.
Luk 8:17 For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad.
Luk 8:18 Take heed therefore how ye hear: for whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have.

In other words we have to be very careful in how we hear something and the measure of light that God gives us will be multiplied if we put that light to use. If we turn our heads away from the light then Jesus warned that the little we have will be taken away. The condemnation of John 3 is against those who would not come to the light.

Solomon made this wise statement...

Pro 16:6 By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.

Nov 26, 2011
That's just an example of the many traps that are laid out there for us in the world. Can you guys think of any ideas on how to stem the tide of false teachers and doctrines creeping into our Churches?
First one must be able to recognise a false teacher. Jesus said this about false teachers...

Mat 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
Mat 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

Jesus warned of many false teachers who will say Jesus is the Christ.

Paul warned Timothy that people would "heap" up to themselves false teachers who would tickle their ears with what they wanted to hear and they would not put up with sound doctrine.

2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Paul warned about grievous wolves who would not spare the flock who would rise up in the midst of Christian's.

Act 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
Act 20:30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
Act 20:31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.

Peter also warned about a particular kind of error and called it the "error of the wicked." There would be those who would twist the writings of Paul to their own destruction.

2Pe 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
2Pe 3:17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
2Pe 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

Notice in the above passage how Peter in particular made reference to the twisting of Paul's writings.

Paul's writings are very easy for the unlearned to twist to their own destruction. Many actually twist Paul's writings to negate the plain teachers of Jesus. Paul was in agreement with Jesus. Therefore study the words of Jesus diligently with an honest heart and then pay attention as to whether any people preach something different than what Jesus taught by selectively quoting Paul.

D

Donkeyfish07

First one must be able to recognise a false teacher. Jesus said this about false teachers...

Mat 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
Mat 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

Paul warned Timothy that people would "heap" up to themselves false teachers who would tickle their ears with what they wanted to hear and they would not put up with sound doctrine.

2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Paul warned about grievous wolves who would not spare the flock who would rise up in the midst of Christian's.

Act 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
Act 20:30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
Act 20:31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.

Peter also warned about a particular kind of error and called it the "error of the wicked." There would be those who would twist the writings of Paul to their own destruction.

2Pe 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
2Pe 3:17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
2Pe 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

Notice in the above passage how Peter in particular made reference to the twisting of Paul's writings.

Paul's writings are very easy for the unlearned to twist to their own destruction. Many actually twist Paul's writings to negate the plain teachers of Jesus. Paul was in agreement with Jesus. Therefore study the words of Jesus diligently with an honest heart and then pay attention as to whether any people preach something different than what Jesus taught by selectively quoting Paul.
Thanks for the reply, i haven't read Peter in awhile and those are definitely good verses to keep in mind. What do you think the most abused part of Pauls teachings are? I've seen a lot of people flat out ignore parts of it they don't like but can't remember a specific time I've seen it twisted to negate the teachings of Jesus...except this one time an atheist made a ridiculous claim using one of Paul's verses but no one took that seriously.

Nov 26, 2011
Thanks for the reply, i haven't read Peter in awhile and those are definitely good verses to keep in mind. What do you think the most abused part of Pauls teachings are? I've seen a lot of people flat out ignore parts of it they don't like but can't remember a specific time I've seen it twisted to negate the teachings of Jesus...except this one time an atheist made a ridiculous claim using one of Paul's verses but no one took that seriously.
Well the bottom line of error will always be a salvation message which is inclusive of an ongoing rebellion to God. In other words people use Paul's writings to justify a message where you can still engage in willful sin and be justified at the same time.

The main passages that are abused to support lies are...

Romans 4:1-6 (justification apart from works) yet the false teachers will ignore Rom 4:11-12 which specifically states that there is a "walk of faith." Paul is actually explaining that God justifies someone based upon the intention of their heart apart from actual deeds done in the flesh. This is why God justified Abraham without Abraham actually sacrificing Isaac for God knew the intent of Abraham which was a heart which was fully yielded to and trusting in God.

Eph 2:8-9 is commonly abused to preach that one is saved by a simple "mental assent" in Jesus. Hence grace is taught as the free gift of God and one is saved by simply "trusting" in the free gift. Yet what the false teachers will never show people is that "not of works lest any should boast" is a reference to the "deeds of the law" which Paul specifically mentions in Rom 3:28 and also mentions the boast in Rom 2:17. Eph 2:8-9 is actually teaching that we are saved due to God graciously providing us all that we need (ie. Jesus death on the cross, God's divine influence on our heart) which we put to effectual use through an active obedient faith. In other words God will finish a work in us on the condition we are willing to yield to that work. Hence grace is God's provision and faith is man's trust and obedience.

Another passage common abused is Rom 7:14-28 where Paul is speaking of a wretch (Rom 7:24) who is carnal and sold under sin (Rom 7:14). Many false teachers apply this passage as the present Christian walk where a Christian is still enslaved to sin, in other words sin is still their master which they cannot resist. The truth though is that Paul is speaking of a man under the law who needs deliverance from both the law and sin. Paul details the methodology of this deliverance in Romans chapter 6 and describes the victorious walk in Romans chapter 8.

There are other passages twisted also but that is a good start.

G

gracethroughfaith

Skinski7:
Did I read this correctly?
Did you state that Jesus warned that anyone who will say Jesus is the Christ is a false teacher?

If I have misread what you stated please clarify what you said.

C

cfultz3

Skinski7:
Did you state that Jesus warned that anyone who will say Jesus is the Christ is a false teacher?

no, he meant that many will false teachers will come saying Jesus is the Christ, and will deceive many because they will be trusted for the mere fact that they say Jesus is Christ.

Nov 26, 2011
Skinski7:

Not "anyone" but rather "many."

It is a far more effective deception to "twist" Jesus rather than completely "deny" Jesus.

Thus many false teachers can use the Bible, preach Jesus, His death, burial and resurrection, they can say "Jesus is the Christ" and thus "deceive many." When push comes to crunch they are preaching an IMAGE of Jesus that has an APPEARANCE of the real Jesus and thus APPEARS to walk and talk like the real thing.

It is no marvel.

2Co 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
2Co 11:15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Transform - G3345 - metaschēmatizō
From G3326 and a derivative of G4976; to transfigure or disguise; figuratively to apply (by accommodation): - transfer, transform (self).

Be diligent and be not deceived!

G

gracethroughfaith

Not "anyone" but rather "many."

It is a far more effective deception to "twist" Jesus rather than completely "deny" Jesus.

Thus many false teachers can use the Bible, preach Jesus, His death, burial and resurrection, they can say "Jesus is the Christ" and thus "deceive many." When push comes to crunch they are preaching an IMAGE of Jesus that has an APPEARANCE of the real Jesus and thus APPEARS to walk and talk like the real thing.

It is no marvel.

2Co 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
2Co 11:15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Transform - G3345 - metaschēmatizō
From G3326 and a derivative of G4976; to transfigure or disguise; figuratively to apply (by accommodation): - transfer, transform (self).

Be diligent and be not deceived!
Ok so to clear up what you were saying; is many will come in the name of Christ, deceiving others!
The manner in which you stated this came across as.....you will know a false teacher because they will come saying Jesus is the Christ.

So in simple terms, were you saying that a false teacher will be know because he comes saying Jesus is the Christ? OR that many will come in his name deceiving other?

Matthew 5:37 (KJV)
[SUP]37 [/SUP]But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

G

gracethroughfaith

We must be very diligent in how we speak that we may speak clearly as not to mislead another.

Nov 26, 2011
Ok so to clear up what you were saying; is many will come in the name of Christ, deceiving others!
The manner in which you stated this came across as.....you will know a false teacher because they will come saying Jesus is the Christ.

So in simple terms, were you saying that a false teacher will be know because he comes saying Jesus is the Christ? OR that many will come in his name deceiving other?

Matthew 5:37 (KJV)
[SUP]37 [/SUP]But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
What I said is clear.

MANY will come and they will deceive MANY.

While only FEW will be actually saved.

Luk 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.