Do believers really go to Heaven upon death

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

iwant2serve

Apr 12, 2009
The vast majority of Christians say you go to your eternal place when you die. Does the Bible really teach that? My view is no we do not. I am going to provide scripture as well as the other side will. I just ask to go back and study them all as I have for the most part.

Hebrew word for spirit is Ruach- means wind or breath, the Greek works is Penuma - Wind or Breath

Gen 2:7 …..God blew the breath of life in his nostrils and man became a living soul.

Ecc 3:19-20-22 For people and animals share the same fate—both breathe and both must die. So people have no real advantage over the animals. How meaningless! 20 Both go to the same place—they came from dust and they return to dust. For who can prove that the human spirit goes up and the spirit of animals goes down into the earth? So I saw that there is nothing better for people than to be happy in their work. That is our lot in life. And no one can bring us back to see what happens after we die. Ecc 12:7 For then the dust will return to the earth, and the spirit will return to God who gave it.

John 14:1-4 Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. 2 There is more than enough room in my Father’s home.[a] If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? 3 When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. 4 And you know the way to where I am going.”

1 Thess 1:13-18 And now, dear brothers and sisters, we want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died so you will not grieve like people who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life again, we also believe that when Jesus returns, God will bring back with him the believers who have died. We tell you this directly from the Lord: We who are still living when the Lord returns will not meet him ahead of those who have died. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, the believers who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Then we will be with the Lord forever. So encourage each other with these words.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
body goes to grave yes. 1 thes 4 is talking about resurrection of body

soul to heaven, proof:

2Cor 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
Rev 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
Rev 6:10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

souls talking

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The vast majority of Christians say you go to your eternal place when you die. Does the Bible really teach that? My view is no we do not.
Well since your view is quite erroneous, and several threads have already discussed this, you should check them out. The souls and spirits of those who are "in Christ" go to be with Christ, since to be absent from the body is to be PRESENT WITH THE LORD.

RickStudies

Sep 10, 2019
Who can explain these verses? :)

Ephesians 4

8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

jacob_g

Sep 1, 2019
I believe we fall asleep... that is written over and over in Scripture... I know Paul said to be absent from the body is to be with the Lord... or something like that in 2 Chorthinans, yet there are a lot of Scriptures that speak about falling asleep... And I have often wondered about the day of the White Throne Judgement... When er are either in the Book of Life or not. Personally I think everyone sleeps, except martyrs (Revelation) they cry out.... There is a lot I do not understand, but I figure if your dead what does it matter if you died in Christ and not in your sins.... In Messiah you are saved in your sins, because you rejected Him you go to hell....

Either way asleep or in His presence upon death what will we care... were dead.... what matters is being Saved while alive THAT MAKES ETERNITY'S DIFFERENCE!!!!

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Who can explain these verses? :)

Ephesians 4

8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
When Jesus died on the cross.. He descended to the holding place of paradise.. that held those awaiting to be resurrected from the dead.. they got resurrected and were seen alive afterward.

So before Jesus ascended to heaven he set free those waiting

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I see the Author of the OP continues to post such questions, and then fails to return for discussion. Hmm....

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I see the Author of the OP continues to post such questions, and then fails to return for discussion. Hmm....
What do you suppose he wants to serve?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

RickStudies

Sep 10, 2019
When Jesus died on the cross.. He descended to the holding place of paradise.. that held those awaiting to be resurrected from the dead.. they got resurrected and were seen alive afterward.

So before Jesus ascended to heaven he set free those waiting
Well said. Furthermore, I believe they are the captivity Jesus led captive when He ascended.