Do Calvinists believe that no one can resist God's "irresistible" grace?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
My point is this, all mankind are spiritually dead, dead men can't act, thus an outside force must resurrect them. that is the irresistible GRACE OF GODS SOVEREIGN ELECTION...im not a calvinist, but I do believe in election as the bible clearly teaches......
The problem is....

You do not know what the death is.
What causes it.
And, how grace overcomes it as God will it to be.
 
  • Pray
Reactions: dkontner
My point is this, all mankind are spiritually dead, dead men can't act, thus an outside force must resurrect them. that is the irresistible GRACE OF GODS SOVEREIGN ELECTION...im not a calvinist, but I do believe in election as the bible clearly teaches......
I believe all people who aren't save are spiritually dead, but I don't agree they are incapable of acting. They need help from the Holy Spirit; however, if God does it all for them with no effort on the part of the person, then 99% of the New Testament makes no sense. I have a different view of election. I don't see it as God selecting someone and then forcing something on them. I'm not entirely sure how I'd define election, but I'm sure it's not that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Aussie52
Calvinists believe in common grace and irresistable grace. Think of the experience Paul had, that is irresistable grace. You would be so convinced if that type of experience were to happen to you
 
  • Like
Reactions: DavidLamb
John 3
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
 
Everyone who knows what TULIP means should know what MFW means.

The TULIP dogma (tulipism) may be described as follows:

T – total depravity, meaning souls are unable to exercise sufficient MFW to seek salvation (contradicting Matt. 7:7, etc.).
U – unconditional election, meaning that souls need not satisfy a divine requirement such as faith or repentance, but God chooses to save some while damning the rest to hell (contradicting Eph. 2:8-9, etc.).
L – limited atonement, meaning that Christ died to pay the penalty of sin only for elect souls (contra Rom. 3:21-5:1, etc.).
I – irresistible grace, meaning that elect souls cannot resist or refuse God’s will for them to be saved (contra Matt. 23:37, etc.).
P – perseverance of the saints, meaning that the elect cannot repudiate their salvation and commit apostasy, because God perseveres in keeping them saved (contra Heb. 6:4-6, etc.).

The viewpoint opposed to TULIP may be termed Moral Free Will (MFW) and described as follows:

M – God’s requirement for salvation (GRFS) is a Moral condition called faith, which is manifested as seeking God’s righteousness or salvation, which in turn presumes sufficient human volition even for sinners to make them morally accountable.
F – God enables all morally accountable souls sufficient Freedom to satisfy GRFS—or not, because His grace is not irresistible, which means sinners are accountable and justly condemned when they do not repent and accept Christ’s atonement for their sins
W – Faith is almost synonymous with Will, but volition focuses on faith as cooperation with God (or not), and cooperating with God by accepting His grace is NOT meritorious or working to earn heaven or salvation by obeying moral laws.
YASC