Do/Did you have a discipler?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
If so, how long were you taught? Was it one-on-one, in small group, or a class like Sunday school esp. when you were young? As I grew up in a RC church, we didn't have Sunday school as i learned they do in the smaller Christian churches here. But after some missionaries from Singapore shared the Gospel in school, they came for more than a year, I remember. After I moved, and as a young believer, I was too shy to join Christian organizations in school, and the church I attended had Sunday school where I could not always join even while I attended worship service.

Do you now disciple others? I hope this be a place where others can share how you do, for how long. And any suggestions, as when doing w/ the sick, elderly... with the former, I've seen the need to be more flexible and creative, as they cannot normally go out as others can, if you want to meet w/ them elsewhere, or meet for other activities.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I am currently working as a volunteer for a local hospital, only one day a week, I was very clearly instructed by through Holy Spirit that this is what He wanted me to do, each time I ask for divine encounters and each time He grants them.
Blessings

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
As Jesus told us, the fields are ripe for harvest, but the workers are few, so very often we place medicine and science in first place when we know one of the names of G-d is that He is our healer, "Jehovah Rapha, the G-d who heals thee"

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
As Jesus told us, the fields are ripe for harvest, but the workers are few, so very often we place medicine and science in first place when we know one of the names of G-d is that He is our healer, "Jehovah Rapha, the G-d who heals thee"
That should be great work for the Lord at the hospital, shittim! I know what you mean, placing med ahead of God sometimes--- many times! As I also grew up w/ very health-conscious parents, we went to doc soon after a fever for a day or 2, etc. My automatic response when there was a symptom of any kind, was to run to a doctor, for my family too. But God is showing that He is more able to heal, and many times we do not even have to go to the clinic, but exercise our faith/trust in Him who truly heals and He provides the simple remedies too!

As I was discipled not for a very long time and so long ago, when i had children, I considered that discipling part of what I had to do as a parent. I can still remember how patient the missionary [correction, from Hongkong] who shared w/ me was. But I didn't have that much part in going out making disciples. Aside from occasional Sunday school teaching, I also often wanted to listen to the main preaching, or had to watch the smaller child=).

Opportunity to make visitations and study God's word w/ another came much later. Now there's one old friend who had a stroke I go to about 3x a month when I can. Where we live it is not that easy to get to where she stays now, but i see i have to go and wait for public transport or walk a little in a route where there's not always regular service jeepneys or tricycles. I realized sharing w/ a PWD is lots different from the normal person, as she cannot always go out when there's no convenient car or driver to help her go places. As I drive no car myself, i'd have wanted to ask her out sometimes for a change of scenery, but she often declines saying it is inconvenient.

There's also the younger women we're supposed to be nurturing in church, but care group meetings come in so erratically due to work schedules and family commitments (they have younger kids). Thankfully, theres also a parent or 2 at my child's school, where we can see each other hopefully Fridays as we fetch our child. We just supplement our mtgs w/ phone msgs as there often is little time on Fridays too!

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
There is a youtube video from John Fenn, his ministry is SupernaturalHouseChurch.com.
I believe it is titled "When a friend crosses your mind", in which he shares how he learned the way G-d calls to each of us for prayer for a friend by having a remembrance of them cross our mind, we don't always have to meet personally to minister to a friend, He does a lot of it for us as we pay attention to His leading in this and other ways, so that we may pray for them, He works through us and this is one of the ways we have the opportunity to walk out His plan for our lives. hope you enjoy and are edified.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Sadly I had no one to teach me as a Christian everything I have learned and gained I learned from one one time with God, I did go to churches and learned things but for the most part I had father as my teacher and my guide and to this day it is like that as well. I love hopw he can and will use anything to speak to and teach us even things that seemingly have nothing to do with him.

I have however mentored here on cc sometimes a new believer or a troubled soul is in need of guidence or learning and I am more than willing to help other times it is a heart that has been wounded and bruised and simply needs comfort and encouragement other times still it can be a confused believer or a person who has only known the harshness of religion I never know what kind of person God puts in my path or when but if I am able I never hesititate to help those who need it.

Although simply by being on cc I have had many teachers as I always love to glean Godly wisdom from anything a lot of times people don't even realize they are teaching me even when people attack me in debates without realizing it they are teaching me and helping me grow. I think that anyone who wants to disciple someone should always keep in mind that the best teachers have the heart of a student

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Good to see you Blain, that seems how He works for many of us, as long as we desire to grow, He will grow us. I heard a person once say, " I agreed to walk in obedience, He promised to go before me"
He knows the end from the beginning, He knew you and I would be here at this moment and what we would post before we did so.
blessings

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Good to see you Blain, that seems how He works for many of us, as long as we desire to grow, He will grow us. I heard a person once say, " I agreed to walk in obedience, He promised to go before me"
He knows the end from the beginning, He knew you and I would be here at this moment and what we would post before we did so.
blessings
The way I see it those who hunger will always be filled even if not in the way we expected. For instance I am a huge anime fan and I always tell him that I am listening and willing and boy does he deliver, I learned all I know about discipling and being a disciple from an anime show I loved which you wouldn't think would teach me the things about God since it had nothing to do with him but like I always say he can and will speak to us through anything if we have a willing heart
So many times we ask God to speak to us never realizing he already is just maybe not how we thought he would, once you begin to learn to hear his voice you hear it everywhere and in everything and when you are hungry for him your heart seems to instinctively recognize it. Of course this is not something everyone can simply do it takes practice and most importantly lots of personal quality time with him. In fact to those I have mentored to that is the one thing I always make sure to teach them, the time spent with him is more vital than anything because how else do you get to know someone and grow close to them?

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Sadly I had no one to teach me as a Christian everything I have learned and gained I learned from one one time with God, I did go to churches and learned things but for the most part I had father as my teacher and my guide and to this day it is like that as well. I love hopw he can and will use anything to speak to and teach us even things that seemingly have nothing to do with him.

I have however mentored here on cc sometimes a new believer or a troubled soul is in need of guidence or learning and I am more than willing to help other times it is a heart that has been wounded and bruised and simply needs comfort and encouragement other times still it can be a confused believer or a person who has only known the harshness of religion I never know what kind of person God puts in my path or when but if I am able I never hesititate to help those who need it.

Although simply by being on cc I have had many teachers as I always love to glean Godly wisdom from anything a lot of times people don't even realize they are teaching me even when people attack me in debates without realizing it they are teaching me and helping me grow. I think that anyone who wants to disciple someone should always keep in mind that the best teachers have the heart of a student
You are back, blain! Yes, there are many teachers around here too=). Sometimes I miss my current care group leader, who is oh so busy.. then realize I should be discipling others now however, not much the other way round.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
nicely said, "time spent with Him". That is it.
Bless you, how are the eyes?

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
There is a youtube video from John Fenn, his ministry is SupernaturalHouseChurch.com.
I believe it is titled "When a friend crosses your mind", in which he shares how he learned the way G-d calls to each of us for prayer for a friend by having a remembrance of them cross our mind, we don't always have to meet personally to minister to a friend, He does a lot of it for us as we pay attention to His leading in this and other ways, so that we may pray for them, He works through us and this is one of the ways we have the opportunity to walk out His plan for our lives. hope you enjoy and are edified.
Thanks for this, shittim. I moved on to another of his vids, and here just asking, do u agree we really are a process=)?

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
let me watch this one, it is new to me, some time ago I was led to John Fenn's ministry and also another one at that time.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
oh yes, Mar09, it really is a process where we start at salvation, way too often people stop and rest at salvation when we are expected to continue to grow in Him.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
there is a scale for estimating growth, I can't recall the name right now, I saw it on John Wimbers Signs and Wonders Conference video.

von1

Apr 22, 2010
Thanks for sharing the many great posts on this post. Great to have christian friends on here who always have words that help encourage and most all of words that speak the truth of God. God Bless

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
nicely said, "time spent with Him". That is it.
Bless you, how are the eyes?
The eyes are slowly getting better but it is still hard to be on cc mainly because all text is this light grey color and I don't know how to make it all black so it will be easier to read. I also was not online much recently because I had a seizure the other day and was rushed to the hospital we have no idea why I had it and I have never had one before I don't remember much from it but apparently I was flailing uncontrollably making wierd grunting noises I actually put a dent in our fridge because of it and I stopped breathing.

I don't remember what happened exactly except that I saw a lot of flashing lights like fireworks in my head and my mom was in the garage on the other side of the house I was not consciously aware of anything but my mom said I somehow made my way flailing to the gaarage and said there is no way I should have been able to on my own it was like my body instinctively knew to get to mom somehow.

von1

Apr 22, 2010

Good to see you back, God Bless

E

EliBeth

The way I see it those who hunger will always be filled even if not in the way we expected. For instance I am a huge anime fan and I always tell him that I am listening and willing and boy does he deliver, I learned all I know about discipling and being a disciple from an anime show I loved which you wouldn't think would teach me the things about God since it had nothing to do with him but like I always say he can and will speak to us through anything if we have a willing heart
So many times we ask God to speak to us never realizing he already is just maybe not how we thought he would, once you begin to learn to hear his voice you hear it everywhere and in everything and when you are hungry for him your heart seems to instinctively recognize it. Of course this is not something everyone can simply do it takes practice and most importantly lots of personal quality time with him. In fact to those I have mentored to that is the one thing I always make sure to teach them, the time spent with him is more vital than anything because how else do you get to know someone and grow close to them?
Two thumbs up. 👍👍 🙂

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Good morning, i'm learning from many Spirit filled teachers that all sickness is an attack from the enemy, it is the will of the Father that we all be whole, well, healed, restored, blessed, etc. there was no sickness before the fall in Genesis, and Jesus came to restore ALL things, so the problem of acquiring His healing is never up there, it is always down here, learning to appropriate it.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Here is a video of John Wimber from the Vineyard Ministry as he tells his personal testimony and the first healing he saw through their ministry, I still review it from time to time as it shows me once more the goodness of G-d. At the very end is what I am thinking you may gain from, as did I. I believe for success we really need to put Him first.