Do People Try to Use Your Faith Against You?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Liz01

i understand you, there is a woman at my work that say she is christian but she is judging me all the time and telling me "oh, im very surprised that you say this or that bc you are a christian..." and uses bible to hit me if i dont do what she wants, besides that, she is very manipulative and if you do what she wants then she say that you have a "heart willing to God" and if you dont do what she wants she say that you dont have a heart willing to God and that is very very frustating.
But when im very upset with her i prefer to pray and then i calm down again and try to remember that love is patience, i think i need much more patience for her lol but im trying everyday

K

kiwi_OT

The best book to ever read on this subject is 'Boundaries' by Drs Cloud and Townsend (they have other boundary series as well re children, dating, marriage etc)

The main point I got from the book is when there is a lack of boundaries, one person is reaping the negative consequences of another persons poor decisions and actions. Other times it can be as simple as allowing people to expect too much of you when you can only give so much and as a result of both scenarios is a huge amount of stress on one person and another continuing to believe that they can avoid the consequences.

My mothers siblings do this to her all the time. For example my older aunt has borderline asbergers. She is academically a very intelligent woman but she has a history of acting very socially innappropriately ie not showering for weeks, not wearing underwear, cutting people off in conversation, thinking the world revolves around her, compulsive hoarding, innappropriate statements. She also goes to church. What she commonly does is call up my mother or grandmother dropping heavy hints of them doing something for her or fix something that she messed up. Now I dont intend to sound cruel like I don't care about her because I do but what wears my patience very thin is that she does it EVERY week. No joking. And if someone refuses her she goes round to their house to cry very loudly outside and publically in order to embarress them or call them every hour to change her request argument. My aunt is 52 years old. I personally think her behaviour is very manipulative as she has been used to people catering to her needs her whole life and it drives me crazy. I know for a fact that she has enough insight to know what she does is wrong, but the only way to give her that insight is to let her figure out her mistakes and to reflect on her actions.

As christians we are called to be merciful, but we are also told not to get in the way of the Lords dicipline, and by allowing people to not reap their own consequences we are doing just that.
Give a helping hand by all means, but before you help out lay down the ground rules so they understand they can't milk your goodwill for all its worth.

F

Forgiven66

This is what I would do if I felt a woman was trying to push me into a relationship.

I would definitely pray for guideance. If they make a discouraging remark, then politely ask what fruit of the Spirit I'm missing (Galatians 5:22-23) stating I'm trying to show patience and not rush God's timing. If no answer to what fruit I missing I would ask do I have some work of the flesh (Galatians 5:19-21) I need to get rid of. I would tell the people I trying to be led of the Spirit so I'm not under the law (Galatians 5:16-18). Isn't this what a saint should produce Luke 8:8,15. For the guys pushing you, I would stress the need of patience.

I would state I trying to be a doer of the word not hearer only (James 1:22). I would then state we are recognize by our fruit from our heart (Matthew 7:15-20), and the words of malice you perceive is not a fruit from God's Spirit but a work of the flesh.